5.0 out of 5 stars Cyclone

3.0 out of 5 stars dust separator
Published on January 2, 2010 by Roger in Virginia

5.0 out of 5 stars Cyclone, August 27, 2011
This review is from: Oneida Molded DIY Dust Deputy Cyclone (Misc.)
We do concrete resurfacing and create a lot of fine dust in the process. They make special shop vac style dust collectors that will purge the filter so it wont get clogged up with the fine dust so easily. The bags and filters for these machines are expensive compared to shop vac brand, and they are hard to find. So we bought two different cyclone units and gave them a test. We had some shop vac bags full of this really fine concrete powder from our last job. We hooked up both units and sucked the dust out of the bag. One is a Mini Dust Collection Separator that just sits on top of a 5 gallon bucket. That one might work good for larger chips but like I said we are picking up extremely fine dust. This style lets some of the fine dust through. Next we tried the Oneida dust deputy. It is kinda tall after you attach it to a five gallon bucket lid and put it on top a 5 gallon bucket. But, boy oh boy did it work great! You can see the dust swirl around the outside of the cyclone and fall into the bottom of the bucket. We are going to save so much money and time not having to change the shop vac bags that this thing will pay for itself in a few hours of our next project. With how well this separates the dust, there is no need to use the expensive dust extractor units. A good high horse power shop vac will be more than adequate and the filters and bags are available everywhere. They do make kits to bolt the 5 gallon bucket right to your shop vac. Check out the Oneida website before you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my Deputy, March 29, 2011
This review is from: Oneida Molded DIY Dust Deputy Cyclone (Misc.)
This thing is great. It was easy to build and works just like they describe. Almost all of the dust and all the larger chunks of stuff fall into the bucket, which I empty into the trash. It is way easier than cleaning the shopvac, it saves on bags and filters and there is no loss of suction that I noticed.

This is an awesome way to create a two-stage dust collection system for a small shop.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dust Deputy, October 15, 2009
It works as advertised. No more clogged filters. The only issue I have is that when hooked up to my shop vacuum and turned it on, the supplied hose shrunk up and the pail would not stay upright. I think a stiffer hose might work better. I solved the problem by making a cart, which holds the vac and the Dust Deputy. The cart is on swivel casters and I attached an old 5 gal paint pail to the cart. The Dust Deputy pail sits in the paint pail, so it doesn't tip over. The carts makes it easy to move from tool to tool.

3.0 out of 5 stars dust separator, January 2, 2010
Update: I've now attached it to my wet/dry vac. The hose supplied is poor and not as good as my shop vac hose. It is too short to mount the deputy anywhere but to the front of my Sears 16 gal shop vac, I tried it in the rear but it would not stretch. Also, the connectors pull out of the flimsy hose since they are not permanently attached (poor design). Also, the lid keeps popping off if you are vacuuming up the floor and stretch your shop vac hose and it wasn't long before the top of the cyclone snapped off, it is seam welded on but mine apparently was flawed. Oneida sent me a replacement but I had to pay to ship the old one back. I love the way it captures dust and wood chips but the design could be much better for the money. I will likely duct tape the vacuum hose to the dust deputy and use black electric tape to keep the supplied hose attached to its connectors. I will likely tie a rope to the shop vac and to the suction end of the vac hose so I can pull the shop vac around my shop by pulling on the rope as I vacuum, I may also buy an extention hose so I can get further away without popping off the lid. I would not have to do all of these retrofits if the design included a better hose, a clamped on lid and a one piece cyclone.
----------------------

I have not yet permanently attached this to my shop wet/dry vacuum but having hooked it up and tried it it is amazing. I first had to clean my shop vac filter which is not an enjoyable task, dust everywhere. Then emptied the vac. Hooked everything up and dumped a large pile of saw dust on the floor, turned on the vac and every bit of the dust ended up in the dust deputy bucket rather than in the vac or on the vac filter. No more emptying the vac and no more cleaning the filter. Yeah!

The product could use a few improvements however for the money. One, the shop vac hose can pull off the dust deputy fairly easily as you use it to move around equipment vice a static hook up to say a table saw, I will likely duct tape it on. Also, the top can pop off and the whole thing can tip over if not permanently attached to the shop vac. I wedged it between my table saw stand and router stand and it stays put but will likely attach it to the shop vac soon. Overall, a very good product but a tad on the expensive side.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent value, December 4, 2011
This review is from: Oneida Molded DIY Dust Deputy Cyclone (Misc.)
I cut a lot of plywood on a panel saw, requiring frequent shop-vac filter cleaning, and I was skeptical at the claims of the efficiency of this two-stage device, but after trying it I am astonished at how well it works. Almost no sawdust makes it into the vacuum tub, and it can take several days to clog the filter to the point where it needs cleaning. Watching it work, you wouldn't think it was possible, given the volume of air moving in such a confined space, but it really does. I would recommend it wholeheartedly for anyone moving large quantities of dust. I should add it's good for dust only - suction is reduced somewhat, and larger objects tend to whirl around the top of the column until you cover the inlet long enough for them to fall into the bin, so I wouldn't use it for gravel, leaves, screws, etc, but for fine particulate matter it is well worth the cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this thing, October 13, 2012
This review is from: Oneida Molded DIY Dust Deputy Cyclone (Misc.)
The DIY Dust Deputy works great USE this container as a catch vessel instead of a 5 gallon bucket
Eagle 1610MB Blue High Density Polyethylene Lab Pack Drum with Metal Lever-lock Lid, 14 gallon Capacity, 26.5" Height, 15" Diameter

this can has a heavy duty compression ring that is built to be used over & over . The lid has a groove and gasket that seals excellently, nice tight airlock .
the walls of the container are thick so this will take a lot of abuse & in no way will collapse when used in a vacuum assembly .

5.0 out of 5 stars It Really Works!, March 18, 2011
D. Brian Jensen (Baltimore, MD, US) - See all my reviews
This dust collector device costs way more than it should - considering it's just a couple of plastic buckets, plastic hose and the plastic cyclone, but after sanding drywall in an entire room, walls and ceiling (with a motorized drywall sander), all the dust went into the bucket and my shop-vac had only a slight trace of dust inside - the filter was still clean. I had been using the disposable bags designed for this sort of work, but they leak and fill up quickly - and they're expensive too, so this cyclone dust system will pay for itself shortly. I have the device sitting next to the shop-vac with just a bungie cord holding them together. Then, with a long hose, I can move around the whole room without having to move it around. I also had to wrap some tape around my hose to fit properly - the adapters that came with it were useless for me - otherwise this thing is rather amazing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Mostly anyway...., June 7, 2012
This review is from: Oneida Molded DIY Dust Deputy Cyclone (Misc.)
I decided not to get the full kit, as I had plenty of buckets and hoses here in the shop. I read a previous review where the fellow had used the (very common) Rigid shop vac with no problems, I assumed I was good to go.

The Dust Deputy (DD) perfectly and almost exactly does not fit either of my rigid shop vacs, neither the 9 or 16 gallon. The dimensions of both DD connector ends is the same as my hoses, major bummer.

The base plate of the DD is somewhat deformed, I made a wooden wedge ring for the top and bottom of the mounting plate along with a thick gasket and it then sealed the unit to the bucket correctly.

The DD does do what it claims and does it really great. I have been using the heck out of it for the last couple days and have emptied the bucket twice with no noticeable reduction in suction power.

It works great, but if it was half the asking price (after all it's just a piece of plastic) I would have been even happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars DIY Dust Deputy Cyclone, December 6, 2011
This review is from: Oneida Molded DIY Dust Deputy Cyclone (Misc.)
Bought one of these for my garage workshop. Assembly was easy enough onto a 5 gallon bucket, just had to pick up some bolts and some caulking for a good bucket seal. During assembly the collector fell off my workbench and the top very easily broke off, but luckily it didn't crack. The lid would stay back on during use, but I caulked it back in for a better seal.
I am nothing but pleased with the results from it, the results are amazing. It does separate about 99% of the dust and without a doubt helps save on my shop vac filter. As someone stated above, the larger scraps or bolts do seem to stay up in the whirlwind and not drop into the bucket because of the air vacuum, but that seems only momentary until you plug the hose, turn the power off, or until a bunch of other stuff flies down the tube pushing it.

definitely recommend!

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather Poor Collection Efficiency, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Oneida Molded DIY Dust Deputy Cyclone (Misc.)
First I want to say that I am glad I bought unit, but paid for for it than the current price and it was too expensive for what it is.

It separates out about 80% of the saw dust from my planer, which is an improvement but surprisingly low. I would expected a well designed cyclone to do a better job separating. Part of my expectations were probably unrealisticly set reading Bill Pentz's web site on dust collection.

When you watch the material being sucked through the cyclone, you can see that some of it has a hard time working it's way down into the bucket and tends to say in the cyclone for a long time. I suspect that part of this material is what makes it to the vacuum cleaner.

Oneida Molded DIY Dust Deputy Cyclone