4.0 out of 5 stars Great protection from the sun
Published on October 2, 2011 by Carl Spackler

3.0 out of 5 stars 5' 4" son to help protect his super fair skin from the sun
Bought this for my 13 year old, 5' 4" son to help protect his super fair skin from the sun. He has a small head. The hat barely fits, however, it does shade his face from the sun. He likes the way it looks and shades, but he HATES the way it retains heat. He was in the morning, somewhat overcast sun, with a breeze, for only one hour. His hair was soaked and he had to...
Published 7 days ago by mitchdrip

4.0 out of 5 stars Great protection from the sun, October 2, 2011
This review is from: Oneill Men's Sonoma Straw Hat (Apparel)
With pretty sensitive skin, I needed better protection from the sun. All I had were baseball caps and those basically only shade your eyes, but don't really give you any protection at all. Plus my head would always get hot when I'm wearing a cap. The lifeguard hat is a cool option. It looks good, not at all like those stereotypical grandpa beach hats. This is a very cool looking hat and perfect for a day at the beach or whenever you're sitting out in the sun. It provides great coverage because of its size (it's about 17" from side to side), so your entire face and neck will be completely shaded. The underside of the hat is a black cloth, which I think is supposed to prevent glare. And while using it, I have a pretty glare-free experience, so I guess it works. Though I don't know how much glare I'd be getting without the black. Either way, I like it. The drawstring is a nice touch, too, in case you get caught in a windy day.

Like anything made of straw, durability isn't going to be its strong suit. The straw, particularly at the top of the hat, has cracked a bit, though it's still very usable. All the straw on the brim is perfectly intact, though. If and when the hat does wear out, I'll definitely be buying another one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Beauty, April 29, 2012
This review is from: Oneill Men's Sonoma Straw Hat (Apparel)
I ordered this hat to wear while gardening, etc. in Phoenix, Arizona's hot summer sun. Awesome hat indeed, & it even fits my generously sized head quite well!

One feature that does not seem to be mentioned however, is that the under-belly of the brim is covered in black fabric. On one hand it would have been nice to know this prior to ordering, on the other it was a nice surprise as the dark underside reduces the fierceness of light reflected by the hat itself. :-)

I hope this puppy holds up well, however I expect as with all grass sun-hats I've owned (as a horticultural professional, and avid vegetable-gardener there have been many) that its presentable lifespan will be somewhat limited.

5.0 out of 5 stars My second year wearing it!, May 19, 2013
First of all, I did not buy this hat from Amazon, but rather a surf shop that I went to during vacation. This hat lasted through an ENTIRE summer in the California desert. I wore it every single day at my job (landscaping) and it was a true lifesaver (I would have gotten hit in the head with a piece of rebar, but luckily the brim of the hat deflected it). The brim is so large that it protects your head and neck completely from the sun. The top part of the hat is all straw (allowing a breeze to dry your sweaty head off) while the brim is straw with a piece of black fabric underneath. The hat has a slight downward angle and a chinstrap that helps it not blow off when it gets windy. The hat itself is still in perfect shape and I'm about to celebrate its second birthday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snug at first, but, comfortable after a month of use, May 18, 2014
It seemed a little, too, snug when I first tried it, however, after wearing it in the sun 6 to 8 hours a day- three days a week, it is comfortable and I am pleased with the fit of the hat.

5.0 out of 5 stars great hat, August 7, 2013
best i had worth the money fits my large head its not falling a part like the others and people ask about it all the time

5.0 out of 5 stars keep me out of the sun, September 7, 2013
I love this hat! It's huge, for a girl, but it kept the sun out of my face so I can't complain!! No sun burn for me this summer:) Very sturdy as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hat for the price, July 29, 2013
Excellent hat for the price. Looks like a much more expensive. Lining is a nice feature that makes the hat look well made. I will definitely buy more of them as I need them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful hat, July 10, 2013
I purchased this for my husband who is a pool guy and he is in love with it!It loves the linear on the inside and said that it keeps the sun off his head while working his long hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hat...., July 4, 2013
Suffered for years in the hot sun without wearing a hat because it made me hotter. With this hat, the cool straw construction and black rim lining really cut the heat and glare, no more squinting. Neck is protected also... I highly recommend. For the price I might buy a spare....

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful, May 20, 2013
I had a skin cancer scare last year, and now i'm advised to try and stay out of the sun. Being an avid water skier, this was going to be difficult, or so I thought. This hat really provides the protection I need in order to keep doing what I love.

Thanks!

Aside from it's function, it was very comfortable. The drawstring around the chin really keeps this hat on you when your cruising on the boat.

Oneill Men's Sonoma Straw Hat