Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Tap Giveaway Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I found Onkyo's HT-RC460 to be exactly what I needed to power up and manage our living room media center. It has the ability to control everything physically connected to it and it seamlessly reaches out to other devices on our home network and beyond, to the Internet. The temptation to go over every single feature I am aware of is strong but receivers have become complex, multi-featured machines and there's a 140 manual that does that. I will therefore talk about what the HR-RC460 did as I tested it and what I found impressive or not so much, useful or less so, feature-rich or overwhelmingly complex or complicated. This could mean that I may not speculate about features that some may find worth discussing at some length and accept it as inevitable but I wasn't able to test hands-on. My hope is that the setup I used for my test drive is not unlike what most typical users are likely to have.

The HT-RC460 was as a 7.1 surround system. I did not set a second zone. Directly attached to it via HDMI were a TV, a satellite box, a WD media hub, a Blu-ray/DVD player and a gaming console with the last three having their own Ethernet connections. A security camera system was attached through a component video cable. The receiver was connected to the Internet via a Ethernet cable which in turn talks to a router over the power lines. The receiver and everything hard-wired to it were set to be operated with a Harmony universal remote control.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Right out of the box, Onkyo's receiver is not unlike the one (by Sony) I've been using for the past 4 years:

- 7.2 surround: one extra woofer and speakers of anything between 6-16 Ohms
- 2 zones
- supports nearly all types of I/O: composite video and analog audio, coax, optical, HDMI (more ports with 8 in, 2 out, the higher v1.4), AM and FM antennae.
- numerous sound processing modes with some new ones such as Dolby Pro Logic IIz and DTS Neo:6 decoding
- video resolution beyond 1080p to cover 3D and 4K (the resolution used in movie theaters)

And if the above appear to be only minor enhancements or features (4K video?) that no one is likely to need in the next 5 years, here are some brand new capabilities that should easily justify upgrading from an older model.

- Front USB and HDMI ports
- Ethernet
- DLNA
- Overlaid on-screen menus

Whether the above are significant upgrades it depends on each individual's needs. I will discuss them below and explain why they matter to me. What follows is my experience with the product during my week-long test drive.

PACKAGING AND CONTENTS

Besides the receiver's body I found a CD that holds the manual as a .pdf file, the remote control and its 2 AA batteries, the AM/FM antennae and the special-purpose mic with a very long wire used to calibrate the speakers. This receiver does not come bundled with speakers or speaker wires or any other accessories.

The contents are well protected inside the box and I know that they are so because UPS subjected the package to some extremely rough treatment and yet everything inside turned out to be Okay.

INSTALLATION

No, it wasn't easy and it took q while to get things going but Onkyo providing a set of sticky, color-coded labels for the speaker wires helped a lot my connecting a set of 7.1 existing speakers to the new receiver.

Some of the HDMI inputs are pre-labeled as Cable/Satellite, Game, DVD, Computer and that made setting the HDMI connections easier.

Once the wiring is done the receiver can automatically calibrate the speakers using the supplied, special-purpose calibration mic. A full auto-calibration round completes in less than 10 minutes.

If the box was connected to the network it's likely through the Ethernet wire it will suggest a firmware update.then... there are many paths.

You may complete the setup using the provided remote control and the receiver's own display or you may take advantage of the on-screen menus feature which is a lot more efficient. The on-screen menus make it easy to integrate the receiver into an universal remote control. I am currently using it with a Harmony 900 - it doesn't know of the HT-RC460 but selecting HT-RC360 was close enough. Alternatively, I can use an Android tablet with the Onkyo remote app installed and I do use it, especially when I play content off the Internet or other devices on my home network but more about that later.

My setup didn't take advantage of some of the more advanced features that HDMI 1.4 implements such us the Ethernet channel that would allow the receiver to share its Internet link with other connected devices such as network-capable TVs, Blu-ray or media hubs or the audio return channel that can send the audio signal from a playback device such as the TV back to the receiver.

OPERATION

The word of the day is 'flexibility', or you can be as sophisticated as you care or dare or you can let the receiver do what it thinks it's best for you and probably get 95% of what you would if you spent hours tweaking and trying out settings individually. The manual enumerates everything, feature by feature and there are many features, some very useful, quite a few such us image adjustments, redundant. The other word of the day is comprehensiveness.

When it comes to audio, Onkyo's receiver supports just about any standard in existence and it will do its best to provide you with the optimal output. You can set it all to 'auto' or you can tell it what to do whether you are listening to music, playing a game or watching a movie. You can tweak with individual speakers. Same for video. I don't have a TV that displays 4K resolution (does anybody?) but, if I had one, the receiver would have allowed upscaling the 1080p to match that resolution. You can play with individual settings all you want and if the end-result doesn't look nearly as good as the defaults you can quickly revert back to the default settings and then try it again from there.

I'm using a Harmony and I didn't try it myself but the remote control has the capability to control everything at the entertainment hub. The manual explains how to do it and has hundreds of codes for the various brands and models.

FEATURES

Like for most receivers, dealing with HD TVs, cable or satellite boxes, Blu-ray players and gaming devices is 'base business', especially when they are connected through HDMI. Onkyo's HT-RC460 does it well and so do most other receivers. But this is not all that Onkyo does.

But then you connect the HT-RC460 to your home network and a world of new possibilities opens up.

While AM and FM radio are still supported, Onkyo's receiver can and will get your local Internet-broadcasting stations. The vTuner service will get you that but you can also play any station in the world and you can search by location (continent/country/city), genre (available inside each country as well), popularity and so forth. I had no idea until a couple of days ago that my favorite Electronica radio was broadcasting from Romania.

But that's not all. Besides radio stations, HT-RC460 supports a number of services, including my favorite, Pandora which comes loud and clear and so far commercials-free. Other services include SiriusXm, Slacker, AUPEO!, last.fm, Spotify, MP3tunes, Rhapsody and I suspect that additional ones may be added through future firmware upgrades.

But... wait, there's more. HT-RC460 supports DLNA. Without getting into details, DLNA allows the receiver to 'see' and play content from any DLNA-compliant device on my home network which includes computers, dedicated home server, a WD media hub and... there's more :)

I downloaded Onkyo'd remote control app from Google Play (not available at Amazon's Appstore) and... now my Android tablets and phones can act as remote controls for the receiver. But that's not all. With the app installed I can easily play anything that's on the tablet or phone and, of course, everything the receiver discovers through DLNA. So, imagine this: your tablet will find your favorite song somewhere on a computer in the house and tell your receiver to play it in 7.2 surround through your favorite decoder and this is easily done because all media is nicely indexed and can be searched by artist, album or title. But there's no need to imagine because it's true. And while that's happening, your phone or tablet can adjust the sound quality on the fly from anything simple like telling the receiver to optimize the sound for 'music' to setting the exact decibel level on individual speakers. And, of course, your tablet or your TV or both will display information on what's playing, including an image of the album cover. The remote control app is also available for iPods/Pads, by the way.

And there are more features. If playing your tablet or phone content can't be done over Wi-Fi, you can easily connect them to the receiver via the HDMI or USB. There is one of each, easily accessible on the front. You can also play off a USB flash drive and, of course, you can easily browse or search the contents.

I suspect that there are many other features I didn't notice or I didn't find to be interesting enough to mention here but someone else would view as very important but I'm going to stop because there's the big .pdf manual that discusses almost everything.

PROS AND CONS

The big pros for this receiver are, in my view:

- Seamless network/Internet integration that unlock so many interesting features and capabilities
- On-screen (and it can be TV or phone or tablet screen) menus which overlay over the existing video display.
- Extreme flexibility in configuration from the 'let Onkyo figure it out for me' level to very detailed tweaking.

As for cons. Well... the manual is not the most user-friendly in the world but I can live with that. The Android remote control app while great and very easy to use needs an urgent update because the 'phone' resolution does not scale well on a 10-inch tablet and it seems to prevent the Android device from going to sleep even when the app is not in the foreground. Also, the warranty is a little too restrictive and appears to discourage on-line purchases - see below.

MY RATING

Warranty-related issues aside, I am very pleased with this receiver. It does everything I expect from a receiver and then it does more and better. In other words, it exceeded my expectations which qualifies it for a 5 stars with flying colors rating.

_________________________________________________

WARRANTY AND SUPPORT

I did not weigh in warranty and service when I rated the receiver as a 5 star. Depending on where you buy your receiver from a brick and mortar dealer or online, you may be very happy with Onkyo's warranty or less so.

The receiver's warranty is for 2 years, parts and labor which is a good thing. There are lots of exclusions, nothing unusual, ranging from you altering the product, it being damaged by things connected to it or you using it for commercial purposes. If you bought this online or you are planning to do so, consider the following:

- Save your receipt AND the original box because you are going to need them both if you are to ship the receiver for warranty repairs.
- Onkyo's warranty only covers units purchased from an authorized dealer. Onkyo considers Amazon to be authorized dealer but... don't forget: receipt, box.
- My understanding is that you will be paying for shipping the receiver to Onkyo but they will be covering shipping when returning the box back to you.
- There are no quick replacement/cross-shipping provisions so be prepared to do without if your receiver breaks down and needs repair.
- If, after reading the above you are concerned about warranty service you should consider purchasing your receiver from a 'brick and mortar' authorized dealer because then all you need to do is take the box back to the dealer and you won't have to worry about paying for shipping and keeping the original box.

Onkyo made a great receiver but they should consider improving their support for online purchases because other sellers of electronic devices do much better. When a monitor and a rather large laptop I purchased online broke both makers sent me a box and a pre-paid shipping label. I understand why the makers of complex devices would rather have us buy from dealers, because they don't need to worry about direct user support, but online purchases are a reality and other makers of electronics provide much better/friendlier support to their online customers.

----------
>> Brush your teeth, it's the law! <<
55 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2013
Several people here and elsewhere on line have commented on the HDMI link problem (after working for a while, the HDMI link to the TV stops working)and the fact that a USB-only firmware update from the Oynko site is the only way to fix it permanently (unplugging the HT-RC460 AV Receiver may fix it temporarily).
In getting the firmware to load, I learned a few things that might help others by making Oynko's instructions in the manual and on-line more clear:
One, the unzipped download consists of 3 files and a folder with 4 files, all adding up to about 71 MB.
Two, with just these unzipped items on a USB thumb drive, insert the drive in the front USB port of the HT-RC460 with the "Net" source selected.
Three, hit the "Receiver" button on the remote, followed by "Home"
Four, in the Home window select "USB"
Five, after the receiver recognizes the USB drive, return to "home" and select "update"
Six, in the update window, select "update from USB and stand back for an hour or so.
This unit gets 4 stars because it has fine features when it works; it loses a star for not shipping with updated firmware and for its poorly described update process.
on January 26, 2013
Ordered this product at a great price a few days after Christmas without too much research. As usual when ordering things through Amazon the order process was easy and the product was shipped to me very quickly. When I got the unit I removed my aging Yamaha receiver and began to install this receiver. I was excited to be able to remove all the fiber cabling from my home theater and finally be able to use HDMI.

I opened the box and noticed there was a bright yellow piece of paper that said you need to upgrade firmware before setting the unit up for the first time because apparently the firmware update also defaults all your settings. I ordered the Onkyo wireless adapter with the unit because I don't have network cabling near my TV. So I connected my components and powered the receiver on and saw it boot up and was immediately taken to the initial setup.. As instructed I planned on upgrading the firmware so I skipped as much of the setup as I could knowing that the unit would be defaulted, I got to the network portion of the setup process and punched in my wireless info, the receiver connected to my network, and then a message popped up about a firmware update. I clicked OK and the receiver downloaded and began upgrading the firmware. The upgrading process took about an hour to complete. Once the firmware updated you have to manually power cycle the unit.

After the reboot the another message came on the screen about a firmware update. I thought that was odd since the recevier was supposed to be defaulted, but I did it anyway. About an hour later the firmware update was completed and I rebooted it again and that was the final message about firmware updates.

I then tested things out. I was fairly impressed with the ease of setup of the receiver. I'm not a home theater junkie or an audiophile so I left most of the settings at the defaults. The things I messed with are the auto-off, the "extra" HDMI ports, and the HDMI pass-through. The pass-through is why I bought this device in the first place. My wife watches TV and doesn't use or want the speakers on so this was a big plus. Once it was setup it worked great - for about 3 weeks.

One night my wife turned the TV (without the receiver) on and there was no video or audio. I had her turn the receiver on and we heard the audio from the show she was watching. I moved the HDMI cable around to different inputs on the TV and the same problem persisted, I plugged a tablet into the HDMI port on the TV and it worked, so the issue was the receiver. For the time being, I just bypassed the receiver so she could watch TV. I began to search around and found that I was not the only one to have this issue. It seemed to be across many models of Onkyo receiver but the complaints all revolved around the HDMI pass-through and no video, no audio, or no audio/video at all. The simple fix was to unplug the receiver from the power outlet and plug it back in. I did that and sure enough it worked right away. Further google searches revealed that the HDMI pass through issues were fixed in OCT-2012 with a firmware update. Wait, I already updated my firmware twice - did I discover a new issue?

As it turns out, I didn't discover a new issue at all. The firmware that was released in OCT-2012 was not available as an OTA update, but USB only! So I went to Onkyo's website, downloaded the firmware onto a USB stick, plugged it into the front of my receiver, and updated the firmware. Again, took about an hour and claimed to default my settings (which it did except for the network settings). Been running on this firmware for about 2.5 weeks now and no issues, but time will tell.

A negative is how this receiver functions with my harmony remote. I have an Xbox and a PS3 connected and I use the EXTRA1 for the PS3. You can't seem to program the harmony remote (at least I can't) to change the receiver to the extra HDMI ports at all, so I need to keep the Onkyo remote handy to switch over to the PS3. No big deal but it would be nice to use just one remote. Yes the 8 HDMI inputs are nice but the extra jockeying around you have to do to get to the two extra ports is kind of a rub. Also I can't seem to sign into spotify - pandora works just fine. Although I haven't tried spotify since the last firmware upgrade.

This turned out to be a lengthy review but I wanted to explain the HDMI pass-through issue and the firmware that addresses that particular issue is not available OTA. All in all I am happy with the receiver purchase because it allows us the flexibility to watch TV with or without the receiver on, has plenty of expandability, and has all the newest audio formats. If you are looking to replace an aging receiver at a decent price point, you could do a lot worse than this device.
on January 15, 2013
I went to the store to buy a 7.1 Dual-zone Denon receiver, and was talked into buying this receiver instead. I was concerned about HDMI issues I've heard about Onkyo, but he assured me they have worked them all out. I should have trusted my gut. The main issues I've seen with this receiver are HDMI and video upconversion.

Out of the box, I was really impressed with this receiver. It has a lot of features for the price. The microphone to automatically setup the speaker sound for your room configuration is key for all new receivers. Setup was very easy using the interface displayed on the TV. The firmware automatically updated after plugging in the ethernet cable.

My plans for this receiver was for it to be hooked up to my Home Theater PC, blu-ray player, and wii. I want to use HDMI Standby Passthrough to just pass the HTPC hdmi signal for a majority of the time. But when I want to get more sound or watch a movie, I could turn it on and select which input I wanted. For Passthrough, you can select in the menu the specific input to always pass through, or just pass the last hdmi input you had selected. Last is most ideal since I may want to turn it on, select the Wii, and then turn it off (I don't need surround sound for Wii).

HDMI Standby Passthrough Problems:
Something seems to be wrong in the firmware that if your tv and hmdi input has been off for a while, it can't lock onto it correctly when you turn them back on. If I turned off the TV/PC for an hour and then turned back on, HDMI standby passthrough was fine. However if they were off overnight, I had several issues when I would come to turn them back on. I have tried playing around with settings after reading onkyo support threads but nothing seems to make the standby work all the time. Here is what I saw:
1) No video/audio at all, even when I turned the receiver on. I even tried selecting my blu-ray and it wouldn't show the video/audio for it either. Unplugging the receiver or doing a factory reset got the picture to work again.
2) It got in a cyclic flashing of black screen to no signal screen(blue screen on my tv) with audio indefinitely. Even when I turned the receiver on, it was still flashing until I selected my blu-ray input and then the audio/video was fine when I went back to the PC input. This is not ideal because I don't want to ever turn the receiver on or find the remote until I need it.
3) Video came up but no audio was output. Sometime the audio would start after a few minutes, but some times it would never come back until I turned the receiver on and then toggled hdmi inputs.

I'm a software engineer, so I was really convinced it was some combination of settings that caused these issues, so if I found the sweet spot of settings, I'd leave it and be happy. I'm positive I tested all possible settings and none seem to resolve this issue.

Video Upconversion:
When I plugged in the Wii to look at the hdmi upconversion, I was not impressed. It looked worse than just plugging in the wii to the tv directly. Everything looked like it had a weird outline, and the text was almost unreadable. I didn't play much with settings to see if there was something to fix this because when I saw this, it was the last straw for me returning this receiver.

Zone 2 can only use analog inputs:
Since you can select any input on the front for zone 2, I assumed you could output HDMI audio to zone 2. What I didn't realize is that all hdmi inputs also have red/white/yellow analog inputs which pertain to that zone 2 selection. Some would argue that you don't need HDMI audio for zone 2 (blu-ray audio in another room without video), but for my setup I want to pump hdmi audio from a HTPC to zone 1 and zone 2 if we are having a party. Then I would pull up pandora or my music libary and play on the HTPC to zone 1 and 2 at the same time. Also if you wanted to plug in a ipad or ipod to the hdmi input on the front, you could not pump that audio to zone 2.

One last thing I noticed was that the audio output to the TV was a little behind the audio output to the speakers. This isn't that big of a deal, because you can just mute your TV, or you can select in the settings to not output audio to the TV. Although when I tried to turn off the audio output to the TV when the receiver was on, the audio sometimes didn't return to the TV when I put the receiver in standby, so that's why I had selected to just always output audio to the TV.

I think this could be a good receiver if you don't play on using the hdmi inputs/outputs, but then again, why not just buy an older receiver for half the price. If onkyo could work out the HDMI issues, I would easily give this receiver 4 stars. But for now, I will return this one and probably get a Denon or Yamaha as Harmon and Kardon don't seem to have hdmi standby passthrough yet.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This receiver has .7% total harmonic distortion THD at two channels driven at 100 Watts. So what does this mean? In days of old high-end stereo receivers started with distortion ratings at .05% at full power. That separated the men from the boys. So when you're listening to your favorite music you want to crank it up you could keep on cranking and the music would be clean and clear even at full volumes. However if you turn the receiver above the full volume ratings it would continue to get louder but the distortion would go up as well. So back then distortion was of utmost importance. Today what the receiver manufacturers are doing is putting together higher distortion receivers, and then placing limiters on them, so even when you turn them all the way up, they are still not distorting. So it looks good on the numbers, but the end result is you're not getting the mind blowing volume of the receivers that you used to. So when they say this receiver has .7% THD at two channels that means when you're running all seven channels with processed sound the distortion ratings are even higher. I don't mean to discourage you away from this Onkyo receiver by saying all this, I just want to give you the proper perspective and what this all means.

With free applications for controlling and streaming, and direct access to content providers like Pandora, and direct digital connections to your iPod +++ it has a great many bells and whistles. Most importantly it has video upscaling. The truth of the matter is that unless you are playing a Blu-ray disc, or an HD-DVD you are not viewing a 1080p picture. Most content providers such as Verizon, Comcast etc. publish at 1080i. With upscaling like the HT-RC 460 has, and has become popular on a lot of devices these days, you can receive a 1080p equivalent; and yes you can really see the difference.

By using the on-screen display of your TV it makes navigating through the setup menus a lot easier than trying to decipher what little information is provided on the units front panel display. I haven't had any problems with it but I see that others are having trouble with HDMI issues.

I love the fact that this receiver has a powered zone 2 although you cannot feed zone 2 from the digital inputs. This will work great being able to feed speakers in my woodworking shop without having the receiver in a dusty room. The built-in Internet radio and being able to use so many presets that toggle between all the stored ones is pretty exciting.

The setup microphone that comes with it is a nice way to set up your speakers. Then what I like to do is go back in and manually tweak them. You'd be surprised though how accurately the receiver detects all of the right settings. The 140 page owner's manual is available via download from the manufacturer's website. It is a bit of a chore navigating around in it because of the many references to other pages. It's great to have it on your PC though so you can refer to it anytime you want, but it's not so good to try and use it to set up the unit because you have to keep accessing your PC screen, and navigate around in order to find information that you want with the constant cross referencing to other pages.

This HT-RC 460 garnered some of CNET's top ratings when it came out. I'm surprised at how affordable it has become with the latest pricing. It's a lot of receiver for such a little bit of money and has features such as the second zone being powered which is typical of receivers costing two, or three times this price. As a matter of fact this may be the only receiver that has the powered zone 2 feature at such a low price. So if you're looking for a fully featured surround sound receiver at a bargain price this is a good one. On the other hand if prices in such a major consideration getting into something with distortion ratings that are below .1% as in .09% or below that is a good place to start. But then again finding something in, on, around or even below the .05% THD you will be better reassured of a totally enjoyable crank it to the wall experience at very high volume levels. Like I said all in all a very nice receiver for the money. Highly recommended.
on December 26, 2012
I bought this unit for my parent's system. The setup couldn't have been easier. It simplified their existing system a great deal and the remote that it comes with is a pretty versatile universal remote.

The remote has two volume controls - one for the tv and one for the unit which is very convenient for my parents who confuse the two often when using separate remotes. The remote also has button controls which are very similar to their DirecTV remote which eliminates the need for multiple remotes.

The sound is great. Hooking up the subwoofer presented an obstacle because my parent's subwoofer had only a conventional speaker wire hookup, when this receiver expects an RCA connection, but I don't fault the receiver for that since most good subwoofers have more substantial connections than typical speakers. This can be solved with a trip to radio shack or just finding an appropriate adapter online.

This unit is also great for hooking in non-hdmi components. Allowing for an easy hookup of the old vcr and gaming system into the same unit.

I give it 4 stars instead of 5 though, because it doesn't have built in wifi, and that isn't made abundantly clear in all the advertising about its network compatibility. You have to purchase a separate usb adapter for that, and use up one of the two usb drives to do something that's typically built in to most modern wifi compatible devices. It would also be nice if it had bluetooth built in for smartphone links. Again, a USB bluetooth adapter can be purchased, but then you'd be using both USB drives (front and rear) for something that I expect to be included in a network device.

All in all, I would definitely recommend this system - particularly since the price just dropped. This unit is now a steal at under $250, and I would probably get one for myself too if I had a TV that was worthy of such a system.
44 comments|5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2014
Mostly dissatisfied with my purchase. It's not that it doesn't work, because it does... but it has several idiosyncracies that I don't understand and their customer support is garbage.

For instance it's supposed to have two HDMI outs... only one works properly... the second one. I coudln't get my tv and PC to work together on the first.

The two zone system is also weird you can't send the same signal to both things (why the heck not) and you're limited in what you can send to zone two. Also very annoyingly if you are playing something through zone 1 and zone 2 and you TURN OFF THE RECEIVER it will continue to play on zone 2... WTH?!?!?! I found out when one of my neighbors asked me why I left the music on all night outside and I had turned the receiver off before going to bed.
on January 15, 2013
From my point of view, if you're planning on leaving this receiver on whenever you want to watch something on your television, you might be okay. The features are exactly what I was looking for, and at a great price, however the receiver does not deliver on everything as promised.

The remote control app is neat, but in order for it to be used to turn on the receiver and not re-initialize every time, you have to turn network standby to on, which increases power usage and decreases the reason to even use the hybrid standby option.

The networked apps worked for me, primarily Pandora. Sound quality was good, and I was happy with it.

Sound quality overall was very good.

However, there have been multiple documented issues with the firmware of this model along with the Onkyo TX-NR515 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver(Black) and Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2-Channel THX Select2 Plus Certified Network A/V Receiver(Black) which share many of the features of the RC460. A couple of problem examples are shown here ([...]) and here ([...]) which are both currently unresolved and document my problem, a failure of the standby passthrough HDMI signal. Multiple releases of firmware have been put out, which is to be expected, but each one of them has left unresolved issues.

I plan on returning my receiver to move to another brand until Onkyo can figure out the issues they have with their software.
1111 comments|4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2013
This was a "like new&" unit that arrived in original box and didn't even seem to have fingerprints on it. Took a while to replace 15 year old Sony 5.1 system with all the connections, but Onkyo booted right up and worked immediately with TV, other combined HDMI and RCA jack peripherals, and five existing speakers. Didn't have wire yet to connect last speakers or time to finalize set up, which may take several days. There are lot of new/different features to learn. Looks like this undoubtedly a "like new" product. Some of the included accessories didn't look like they had even been opened before. This and many other Onkyo models require USB firmware updating to overcome certain initial system problems, so users need to be comfortable downloading files and installing them. It took me several tries (I'm pretty computer literate)because the instructions are not exactly accurate or immediately intuitive, but they worked. This is a very sophisticated A/V receiver/amplifier, with countless features, so it is not surprising that computer-like programming updates might be required. In sum, very nice product at a very reasonable price - even at regular prices.
on January 20, 2013
I bought this on Christmas Day as a present to myself. Having received many movies as presents, and contending with an underpowered Pioneer system for years, the deal on this unit was too good to pass up. It was under $300 just after Christmas. This is my first Onkyo, having owned Pioneer, Yamaha, H-K receivers (only the Pioneer as an AV unit). I have to admit I have been missing the power and features this unit provides. More HDMI inputs than I can project a need for, despite having a blu-ray, Wii, laptop for my common needs. I paired the receiver with the Energy Take5 and a third party subwoofer and set it up in under an hour. My room is enormous, and the 62" TV sits at one end with the surround system filling the viewing area well. So far I cannot be happier.