5.0 out of 5 stars This System Will Make Your Room Go BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!
I have waited about 6 weeks to post a review on this product, due to some reviews having issues with there subwoofer and other issues. Let me first start off by saying, I have not had any issues with the home theater system (knock on wood).

Published on July 24, 2012 by Ryan Calderon

1.0 out of 5 stars My review started as a 4 star when I first got it.
Published on June 26, 2012 by Sam

1.0 out of 5 stars My review started as a 4 star when I first got it., June 26, 2012
Sam (Phoenix AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Onkyo HT-S5500 7.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker/Receiver Package (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
This system is amazing. Tons of options, lots of configurations for setting up everything, and tons of settings. The Audyssey sound set up make setting up everything and optimizing your system flawless and easy. The lack of proprietary connections means that replacement parts are cheap, easy to find and customize. The sound is great compared to previous Sony 5.1 system.

When you buy this system also get new wires, it comes with 24 gauge wires, I suggest 16 gauge, also get banana plugs (They make for a cleaner and nicer looking setup.)

Only a few problems, which is why I gave it 4 stars;
Needs an update bad to have better functionality with a PS3. Turn deep color off on the PS3 for it to work properly.
Wires are too small as mentioned above.
Lack of Android support compared to Apple support
Key hole mounting on speakers vs screw in mounting.

(EDIT 9/9/12) Okay so I have had this product for close to three months now and I am having the same sub problem that seems to be a common theme from the other reviewers. It wont power on and will not produce sound. I tried the trick of lowering the frequency from 150 to 120 but that only worked for a day or two, and now back to no sub.

I got in contact with customer support which was a royal pain in my ass. I had to fight with them to get anywhere. If they try to make you pay for the shipping ask for a manager then they will come back on the line and offer to pay for the shipping themselves like it should be in the first place. Pray you don't have to deal with their horrible customer service.

After dealing with their customer support and having these issues with a three month old system I can safely say I will never buy another Onyko product again. Avoid this brand because it seems to cause nothing but headache's. I will get my sub replaced under warranty but I will still not have a sub for at least another three months. In the mean time I will most likely get another sub to use as a replacement. hopefully this is just a sub issue and not a receiver malfunction.

(Edit 1/28/13) Okay, this system is a hunk of junk. The new sub they sent me worked for a few months but just went out again, on top of that the system itself has had a lot of compatibility issues. I will be putting this on Craigslist very soon. Please heed my warning and avoid this system. I will never buy anything from this brand again. The price seems like a good deal, but it is a hunk of junk.

5.0 out of 5 stars This System Will Make Your Room Go BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!, July 24, 2012

The sound this system makes with my new Vizio M3D550KD 55-Inch 240 Hz Class Theater 3D Edge Lit Razor LED LCD HDTV with VIZIO Internet Apps - Black, is unbelievable. I have the speakers mounted to Pinpoint White Speaker Wall/Ceiling Mount for Pre-Wired Home Theater - Pinpoint AM20W, except the center speaker which I have sitting on my entertainment center.

To calibrate the sound to match your room, use the Audyssey Room Correction that comes with the system. It takes about 15 minutes and makes a world of a difference. You can always adjust the subwoofer to meet your BOOM BOOM needs.

In regards to the subwoofer, I have seen a review that states there is a recall in regards to this, when there is not. The recall is in regards to other models. There is no recall relating to the subwoofer or any piece of equipment in this home theater system.

It does come with cheap speaker wire, so I would recommend getting speaker wire that meets your needs for your home theater setup.

The one issue I have with this system, is that it only has 4 HDMI inputs. If this system had 6 inputs I would not have an issue. I guess you can call this a gripe and not an issue. I will probably be looking at another receiver in the future, but not any time right now. I also have not experienced any issues that people are having with the previous model to this one with there PlayStation 3.

If you're brand new to home audio, like me, this is the perfect system to meet your needs at the beginning, you will notice a HUGE difference in audio once it's setup.

Photos have been posted, so you can get an idea of how the speakers were mounted.

Edit 7/27/12: I noticed my subwoofer turned off and would not come back on. What I've read online from various audiophiles is that Onkyo uses standby mode for its subwoofers. If you are using Audyssey to calibrate the speakers/sub, you may need to adjust the crossover settings a bit so that the subwoofer will kick back on from standby mode. After adjusting from 150hz to 120hz, the sub kicked back on and I haven't seen any other issues.

Edit 11/26/12: In edition to trying the previous edit, you can also increase the volume off the receiver to make the sub 'kick' back on.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is an easy trick to fix sub-woofer problem, December 28, 2012
I did extensive research and read all reviews associated with this HT-S5500 system at Amazon.com before buying it. After comparing this system with other Onkyo receivers, and noting excellent reviews for other Onkyo systems, I decided to take the risk despite subwoofer malfunction, with it in mind that Amazon's customer service is excellent if I do encounter a problem for the purchase. After all, it has over 1000W power and adequate connections for my purpose. I bought it in November. It is holidays shopping season so Amazon gives me until the end of January to return it if something goes wrong, though I admit that it could be a pain on the neck to return a 70+ lb box.

The receiver is exactly what I was looking for. I would give it 4.5 stars if I could, due to the big size of speakers and the thin wire many others noted in their reviews. The first week, I did not do Audyssey calibration. Everything works flawless, including the subwoofer. By the way, I was amazed by how this system talks to my Panasonic TV. For example, one can set it up in a way so when you turn on the TV, it will automatically turn on the Onkyo system and even select the right input on the Onkyo receiver. It is like your regular TV remote becomes a fancy (and pricy) Harmony remote. The music from PBS concert is amazing. The sound effect from sports is very realistic. I was surprised to learn that nowadays, TV programs (don't have to be HD) all comes with Dolby 5.1 sound! Now back to HT itself: after the Audyssey setup I instantly noticed that the subwoofer went off. The reason was that the Audyssey setup microphone could not detect subwoofer so it simply set it as "not present". In this kind of setting, you can imagine that the A/V receiver would not wake-up the subwoofer anymore. You can change cross frequency as suggested at the end of the set-up process and then do a calibration again to see if you can pick up the subwoofer. My trick is to go directly to manual set up and turn on subwoofer in the speaker setup page. Aferwards, I never had any problem with the subwoofer. It's been one and half months without problem. I hope this trick solves the subwoofer problem forever but I will update this review if the problem comes back unexpectedly by any chance.

Overall, this is an nice system at the very reasonably price (partly due to the average bad reviews here?).I had to hold my urge to buy one more for my other room when the price went down further a couple of days ago. I definitely recommend it to friends.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sub-woofer Issues..., March 28, 2013
I decided to take a gamble by purchasing this system even after reading about all of the sub-woofer issues; I just couldn't pass it up given the price. After a couple of months the sub-woofer finally decided to shut off permanently. I will say that it sounded great with everything working properly. I tried every single "trick or fix" to get it to power on again, but to no avail. I contacted Onkyo customer support (after about an hour on the phone) and the only solution they offered was for me to ship the sub to their nearest authorized repair center; they stressed that I should wrap the sub-woofer in many layers of bubble wrap and maybe double box it since it is so large and heavy. Then I could wait about 8-12 weeks to have it returned, hopefully fixed.

Absolutely disappointed in Onkyo products and their so-called support, I will likely never purchase anything from them again. The sub-woofer lasted about two months and all I can say is I took a big loss with this gamble...

1.0 out of 5 stars Subwoofer Died After 4 Month Lifespan, December 1, 2012
The system was mostly great until the Subwoofer died a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately I cannot recommend this system because of this issue, which does not appear to be isolated to me. I thought the sound was fantastic for the price, it really opened up a new world of sound for both gaming and movie watching. I do have a few issues however:

-HDMI seems to be wonky intermittently. I have weird flickering issues from time to time, but not often. Usually a restart of the system fixes this.
-Often when the Xbox is turned on, only the front speakers are engaged. Again, restarting the Onkyo system appears to fix this.
-The Subwoofer died after 4 months. That's the biggy.

If anyone else is experiencing the flickering or not all speakers engaging, I 'd like to hear I'm not alone. I really feel bad reviewing it so harshly because it's a great system when it's working.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible!!! Will not consider another Onkyo unless major changes are made, August 22, 2012
I purchased the product on June 16th and received the product not too long after. It was easy to setup and sounded fine initially. In just mere couple of days, I began noticing problems.

All my inputs are through HDMI and they are not the most stable, but so far it's bearable, but only time will tell when the HDMI will just stop working altogether.
Second and more definite issue I have with the system is that the subwoofer is completely non-functional at this point.

When I had inquire ONkyo about the issue, they told me to ship the subwoofer to their service location for service at my own expense, and they will ship it back once fixed. Couple of problems here as well. I shouldn't need to ship the product out at my expense to get fixed especially when it's manufacturer defect that caused the need for service. The closest service center from my home in northern california is in southern california in O.C. Secondly, the place which they have contracted to service any warranty needs have terrible reputation. Which leaves me very hesitant to even send it in for service in the first place.

I would definitely recommend against this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad out of box!!!, August 31, 2012
Installed system speakers worked but no subwoofer, then unit shut off and never started again..... All on th first day!

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, then the bass dropped...out, June 30, 2013
I have owned this product for 9 months and it has worked great until now. I'll get to that later. First, I would like to say that this system is head and shoulders above my four year old, $380 Panasonic blu ray 7.1 HTiB (to no one's surprise). For $400, this is a very capable sound solution for movies in small to medium spaces, in my case a 17x20 living room.

Like other reviewers, my subwoofer has failed. Knowing about this possibility, I took notes of my system settings to share with you (and Onkyo). First, I had the subwoofer's volume (amp) knob set to 50% as I wanted to play it safe. For the nine months I owned this system I had the crossover set to 100Hz and the bass gain at -2db. However, for a particular film I was about to watch, I changed the crossover down to 70Hz and the subwoofer gain to +2db. The subwoofer did last throughout that film but has not kicked on since. I've tried "jogging the system" as another reviewer suggested (messing with gain and crossover) but alas, I believe it's dead. I have no intention of bickering with Onkyo about a replacement, as I wanted to upgrade to a larger, higher output subwoofer anyway, although, perhaps not this soon.

I would give this system five stars as it performed exactly as well as I expected it to, but for the subwoofer dying in 9 months at only half amp power, I have to rate it 3 stars. Sorry, Onkyo, better get this fixed in the next generation. Its a common weak link that many of us are aware of.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont read the Negative Reviews, January 12, 2013
This system is amazing! Its loud and has amazing sound quality! The set up was easy and all the features work perfectly. The Audassey EQ set up is amazing. The sub just blows away everything

To address the sub issue that everyone is seeming to have problems with. There is nothing wrong with it. Onkyo addressed this many times. Its perfect. What happens is, the sub turns off when there is only high frequency sound to save power. So it takes a second to power up when music starts to play.

Also think about this. Are people with great product experiences always going to review the product? No. But people who don't know how to use the product and just want to blame something other than themselves are going to review the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so great!, January 13, 2013
Well, after reading all the reviews, I hesitantly decided to pull the trigger on this system. I'm a week in, and I'm loving it! I read a review about the speakers feeling light and cheap--not the case, as far as I'm concerned. As far as the subwoofer issue that everyone is having--I'm not having the problem. When I have the volume really low (8 or lower), I notice the sub goes to sleep, and THAT IS AWESOME, because I usually only have it that low when at night when most people are trying to sleep anyway. All I do is keep the volume 9,10-ish or higher and the sub has yet to sleep on me. If you ask me, I think most problems are user-error. This system is pretty complex and requires that you take the time to learn many of the features. Honestly, I thought this was gonna plug-and-play, but its simply not the case. I have since learned how to use this system and really love it. If you are going to get frustrated that the sound doesn't come on as soon as you turn it on, don't bother...becuase you will only be one of the people who posts later about how this is the worst purchase you have ever made. EVER! haha

I'm using only the hardware that came with the system...no after-market wires/connectors, etc. The bass is deep and powerful. The speakers are crisp and clean, also!

I'll update this in a month or so. Maybe I'll eat these words and I'll hate the system. But hopefully I'll be able to post that my experience with this system has STILL been nothing but AWESOME!