4.0 out of 5 stars Great System
So far the system has been great! Tons of features and sound quality has been outstanding. The built in streaming tools are a little so-so in the interface and wish they did not even bother. A nicer GUI would have been appreciated. It's ok though, my Samsung TV does it all so i dont use the Onkyo version anyway.
Published 20 months ago by MADPokerKing

3.0 out of 5 stars Great receiver; unfortunate warehouse snafu
5 stars for the receiver itself; 1 star for the warehouse staff. Why the solo star? They failed to include the remote. While Amazon was gracious regarding their error and discounted my bill, well, I still had to go out of my way to find the remote elsewhere. Not cool.

Published 6 months ago by Mark D. Lentz

4.0 out of 5 stars Great System, December 20, 2012
This review is from: Onkyo HT-S6500 5.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great System!!!, February 15, 2013
The HT-S6500 sounds great and I was able to pick it up for more than half off around Christmas. The HT-S6500 is the newer version of the discontinued HT-S7409. The on screen display is not as detailed/nice looking as my 7409 unit but still easy enough to use. There is also not as many system settings with the 6500 as the 7409. To be honest I dont really use most of the 7409 settings anyway. All in all this system rocks and is well worth every penny. Very clear sound for movies, music, PS3, etc... Playing PS3 using this system is incredible. You feel truly feel like you are in the game! The sub rocks the house! I am not disappointed in my purchase, especially for the price I was able to snag it at. This is my 3rd Onkyo system and once again they did it right. You will not be disappointed!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers for the price, April 13, 2013
These speakers are perfect for my 12' by 10' living room. Despite not installing the surround speakers, the sound quality is just amazing. The only weird thing is when you connect the iPod to the USB port, you can no longer select songs from the iPod - you have to use the Onkyo remote control. However, I enjoy the speakers too much to worry about that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great booming sound, but big speakers, May 19, 2013
Randygk78 (Toledo, ohio) - See all my reviews
Bought this as my last system stopped receiving a proper digital signal. Found out the only offender left (after replacing cords, re-routing to other devices, etc) was the old system was just simply broken.

I bought this actually off an Amazon/Woot! deal and it definitely was a steal at the price I got it for. I'm kind of an audiophile, but am also cheap so this is a nice mix of "good clean sound" and "something that didn't break the bank. This was really important for me.

The sub is pretty tall, but puts out MASSIVE sound. It transmits all the digital data flawlessly. The amount of inputs are exceptionally impressive. The ability to have a "Zone 2" is also a nice touch (essentially you buy two of these and you can have the audio sync'ed). The auto-balancing is also a nice touch. I don't have time to make that stuff perfect, nor do I care to fiddle with it even if I did.

My only complaints are that the cords are a bit short for the back speakers, the speakers are a bit big (They're 1.5' tall, but hey they sound amazing!), the internet radio function is honestly a joke. It works well, but it is command-prompt driven and is GUI-less. This was obviously the "We should include this function, but don't spend a lot of time on it" situations. (Think MS-DOS/Unix, NOT Windows. No really. It's that bad).

After replacing a few cords that were bad, this has been flawless and a really good purchase. There's really nothing like *good* surround sound!

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, March 20, 2014
Great setup, especially for what I paid. Clear and LOUD, sub rumbles my house even when turned down from max a bit. Have used this for almost a year, no problems, just great sound for movies and music alike!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great receiver; unfortunate warehouse snafu, February 22, 2014

As for the receiver itself, this is my first upscale piece of audio equipment since my college days. In the twenty years in between I've been utilizing out of the box, dvd/surround sound combos. This destroys those past purchases, imo and has illuminated what I've been missing for quite some time.

Front USB port is appreciated and my iPod played with little fuss immediately.
Display on the unit conveys information in an understated yet helpful manner.
6 (SIX!!!) HDMI inputs is fantastic for someone like me who has a plethora of gaming systems and a PC hooked up to their sound system. All labeled so it's quite easy to keep track of your inputs. Turn all your devices on and the receiver seamlessly switches between inputs.
Performance has blown me away. First time I fired up Borderlands 2 I quite literally heard new game sounds (and this after 100+ hours of game play) that I never noticed from my previous system.

Only detraction is minimal at best. That being the Onkyo Remote app that is noted. I have found it to be near useless and simply utilize the normal remote (now that I've secured one).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great system, December 26, 2013
This does everything I want it to do. Easy to setup and use. Sound is always subjective and you have to keep in mind this item is not super expensive but I think it sounds great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, horrible usability, December 14, 2013
Nick (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
The good:
The sound is great. It has lots of inputs.

The bad:
1) The best feature is hidden in the menus. The ability to see what's playing in each of the active inputs is brilliant. No one in my family would have to ask me which input was the cable or the dvd. Unfortunately, there's no button to activate that. It's hidden in the menus.
2) There's no button to just cycle through active inputs. I'm fortunate to have all HDMI inputs. If I have a component or composite, I have no idea how to switch to them. There's also no button to cycle through HDMI inputs. HDMI 5 and 6 are inaccessible until you go into the menus and assign them to one of the buttons on the remote. HDMI 1-4 are preassigned.
3) There's no ability to adjust the picture if edges are off screen. This was a problem with my PC input. This was especially disappointing since one of the inputs was labeled PC. I'd assume that one would automatically do it.

tl;dr: Sound is good, the remote sucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my requirement., August 29, 2013
Just wanted to connect everything to the TV thru' one HDMI and it worked great. The sound is awesome too, which is a bonus!

4.0 out of 5 stars great items, April 17, 2013
For this price and a first time buyer of home stereo equipment , I really enjoy this product. I can hook all my electronics up to it and even use the remote supplied for my xfinity cable box

Rate and Discover Movies