5.0 out of 5 stars 44hink
I was going to purchase the Bose/ Onkyo system at BJ's for the same amount of money.
However, the wall mounts fot the bose speakers were 29.00 WHAT? So I looked around and went to a few places and auditioned some systems. And found the Onkyo to be far superior to the Bose system in terms of quality, Price, and yes Sound.
As with all bose products, I think Bose...
Published on July 21, 2011 by 44hink

1.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this system....
Published on July 2, 2011 by kalistoga

5.0 out of 5 stars 44hink, July 21, 2011
This review is from: Onkyo HT-S8400 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
As with all bose products, I think Bose is Way overpriced for what they offer.
Their arrogance is even more expensive when you talk with them on the phone.
I installed this system in my 35x35x12 open space living room and What a sound.
I think the sub woofer is far better than the Bose as well.
I purchased the 8400 series, in that, the lower end systems have thermal problems.
I've had this in place now for 3 weeks and I think it's top notch.
Yes I purchased the speaker mounts 4 for 12.00.
They're speakermounts... I'm not going to hang off them.
It looks good and the sound quality is excellent for the price.
Easy to install, easy to understand, interms of use.
Only problem was I could not get the comcast cable box to code into the Onkyo remote. Every other component did work.
But Hey It's comcast. nothing they have really works righ tobegin with. When Verizon comes to my neighborhood we can talk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Onkyo HT-S8400 Home Theater System, August 18, 2011
I have had this system for a month now and absolutley love it. With the ability to work over my home network i can do many things and liten directly from my pc. I love the amount of sound i get from this system. I would definately recommended it.

The only con i can speak of is they dont actually make a speaker stand for the speakers but i made the Onkyo AS-140's work like a champ.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, April 6, 2014
Works great even after more then a year. Would absolutely buy again. A brand name and a site you can defenately trust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, easy set-up, 4-months, no problems, December 31, 2012
Jim (Laramie, WY) - See all my reviews
After having Onkyo receivers for about 20 years, it was time to set up another large room with surround. Did my research and this is by far the best bang for the buck. Each speaker even comes with its own colored wire. The surrounds can be hung with just a screw protruding from the wall, no need for brackets. The sub was a bit bigger than I was expecting, but I like nice surprises.
After 4 months and hooking it into a 55" 3D TV, DVD, Sat, etc, It is great, as it simply works plus there is room to expand with plenty of new inputs. 'Didn't use on-screen for the first two months, but once I started using it, it is actually really simple/nice.
Instead of buying the wireless adapter, I bought a netgear network bridge (sounds fancy, but it is about the size of a deck of cards with I think only one button) to connect it to the wider world, flawless. Loaded a USB thumb drive with MP3s, works great. Charge my iPhone on the dock w/o the receiver being on, plays great.

Now, my 2 cents that might help someone: It took me, well, 4 months to realize when it said "Push Mode Button", it meant that I might prefer a different sound setup, as there is no "mode" button anywhere. Rather, there are 3 on the remote after choosing one, you can hit Movie/TV, Music, Game, or Stereo repeatedly to choose one that uses all your speakers and sounds "just right".
I am using the remote mode to run my outdoor speakers, again, seems to just work. If you run it through a second receiver (I have 8 outdoor speakers and wouldn't split the speaker output that many ways so I used it's other stereo output mode), the power is pretty strong, kind of like plugging into your old phono input with the wrong device, roughly double what I consider normal output. Would I buy this again? Very definite yes. Would I splurge on the newer model replacement instead? Well, I bought this one, 'nuff said. Go for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great receiver, February 22, 2012
I bought this from abcWarehouse, sorry amazon! I will have to say the receiver is awesome! I like that you can individually dial in all the speakers. I highly recommend dialing in the receiver yourself instead of the mic. It puts out great highs and deep rich bass even at very low volume. The features are great I use pandora free version all the time! The only thing I suggest is that you puschase a separate center channel as the one that comes with it is very cheaply made and you cant even hear it when watching a movie, I hooked an old bose bookshelf speaker to it tempararely, and wow what a MAJOR differance! So today I ordered the Pioneer SP-C21 130 Watt RMS 2-Way Speaker from Amazon. Cant wait to get it. The rest of the speakers are great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Onkyo HT-S8400, December 14, 2011
Great product. 4 stars for not being THX certified, although its probably just as good. Plus, I believe some deal making goes into awarding that certification so its not exactly kosher. The system is flawless with my ps3 LG 3D LW6500 and some heavy duty HDMI cables. The operators' manual could be written a lot better. I was initially confused on many things with this receiver, one in particular was the quality of the different sound settings in comparison with one-another. The receiver does, however, adjust automatically to the content being played, so you get the best sound possible. I also went online and read up on the history and evolution of digital receivers and processing.

But the real reason for this review is to tell everyone that I found this exact product on buy(dot)com for 650 and it was new and in perfect condition with no shipping and handling fees.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this system...., July 2, 2011
And I did at first! It sounded good...improved my video quality...loved the remote. However, the first receiver I ordered had a major problem...the video would often just go out for no reason. So, I exchanged for another with the 2nd one also failing completely after a couple of days...video issue again! Although this system is impressive on paper with all it has to offer...it doesn't do much good if it doesn't work! I switched to the Denon AVR-1912, which actually sounds better and has built in Air-Play. I liked the speakers with this Onkyo system, so purchased those separately to go with my Denon.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible sound distorsion at highest level., December 30, 2012
Onkyo HT-S8400 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker PackageJust bought the Onkyo st8400 system and I regret ever openning the box up.I like to hear music very loudly I want a deep clear bass and nice highs without the freakin distortion ,and when u crank up the volume the level of garbage noise that comes out of this system is unheard of for the kind of money one dishes out.The tower speakers were just crackling ,distortion,the same for the subroofer,just a bunch of noise.I think this system is good at a lower volume level,maybe watching a movie....haven t tried it yet still waiting for my new tv.but I had better sound coming out of my 7 year old altec lansing desk top speakers than my Onkyo system.My only problem is is I don,t know if I can exchange my system for something because I don,t have the box anymore,bought it 4 days ago at Centre Hi Fi.