5.0 out of 5 stars My thoughts on the Onkyo HT-S8409
Published on December 9, 2011 by Theodore P. Summers

1.0 out of 5 stars Product Recall from Manufacturer - Beware
Published on May 4, 2012 by Windmills

5.0 out of 5 stars My thoughts on the Onkyo HT-S8409, December 9, 2011
This review is from: Onkyo HT-S8409 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package (Electronics)
I purchased this system to replace my Denon AVR-788 receiver. Onkyo had several models that I looked at, however I decided on this one because it is network capable, has the features I was looking for and is firmware upgradeable. As far as I can tell it uses a 10/100 based NIC. Out of the box and connected to my network I had access to few services, however after completing the update I had access to vTuner, Pandora, Rhapsody, Sirius/XM iRadio, Slacker, Mediafly, Napster iRadio, Spotify, Last.FM, and AUPEO. There is a "My Favorites" feature where you can save up to 40 Internet radio stations. The system suppoprts DLNA certified media servers, Windows Media Player 11 and 12, and Windows Media Connect 2.0.

It can handle the following audio formats, MP3, WMA, WMA lossless, WAV, AAC, FLAC, OGG and LPCM. I could stream audio files from my PC straight to the receiver or use a plugged in USB device such as a flash drive. I also have a LG N1T1 (1 Terabyte) NAS on my network. I use it to store my music and video files. It has a built in media server and uses DLNA as well. I can tell you that the Onkyo HT-S8409 has no problems accessing and playing files straight from my NAS.

While this package is called the Onkyo HT-S8409, the receiver that comes in this package is the Onkyo TX-NR609. The system has a total of 6 HDMI inputs, 5 HDMI inputs on the back of the system and 1 HDMI input in the front of the system. It uses HDMI Version V1.4a that supports 3D video and Audio Return Channel. The system also supports 1080p Upscaling (4K (3840 x 2160)). It also sports 2 Component inputs, 4 Composite inputs, 6 audio inputs, a standard VGA PC input as well as 2 Optical, 2 Coaxial inputs and a USB port. One more thing, the system has a Powered Zone 2 audio out and supports up to two Subwoofers. So if you had a extra sub you wanted to use that would make this setup a 7.2.

For what it's worth, this receievr is THX Certified (Select2 Plus). Supports TrueHD, DD Plus,DTS-HD Master Audio, HD-High Resolution Audio, NEO:6, and Audyssey. You also receive a Mic that is used for Auto Speaker Calibration (Audyssey 2EQ).

The system comes with 2 tower speakers, 1 center, 1 powered subwoofer, and 4 satellite surround sound speakers. The sound is great, I did not think I would hear a difference upgrading from a 5.1 to a 7.1 surround sound system, however I must admit that I am impressed. There are serveral listening modes to choose from. There is also a programmable universal remote which I am sure is pretty much standard these days.

As I stated earlier this system can be updated using firmware. There are two ways you can do this, one way is to download the firmware from Onkyo's website and place it on a USB flash drive, then plug the usb drive into the receiver. Note, you need at least 32 MB of space available. The other way is to have the device plugged into your router via ethernet cable and download and install from the Onkyo Menu interface. The process should take not loanger than 60 minutes to complete. (Yes, You heard me correctly 60 minutes and yes I thought that was a bit long.)

The system comes with a 2 year limited warranty, and the only main requirement is that it is placed in an area that has good ventilation so as to avoid over heating problems. Currently I have my cable box plugged into my Logitech Revue via HDMI. My Logitech Revue, Xbox360, and Playstation 3 are plugged into the Onkyo receiver via HDMI. Lastly I have the Onkyo receiver HDMI out going into my LG 47LES5400 HDTV. As far as I can tell Amazon had the best price on this model. I looked and could not find a better price than the $644 that Amazon was selling this unit for. My system was shipped via UPS 2 day delivery and had a total weight of 107 lbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great system for the price... Quality, March 19, 2012
Ok, so this is my first review... but with the negative write-ups on this system, i feel i need to throw my 2 cents in.
For starters... the other reviews about the packaging, and being beat up when it gets to the destination: I tracked my order from day one, I didn't have 2 day delivery or anything like that, and I saw it had stopped somewhere in TN for a night... That got me a little worried because you would think with something this big, they would be pushing it as fast as they could to reduce the liability. Anyway... NO issues whatsoever when it got to my home. I live in FL, it was shipped from MN. Yes, the box had some scratches and bruises, but the way it's packed it really tight, and wrapped nice. 5/5 for packaging and 4 day total delivery time.
HDMI issues as per other reviews: I have had ZERO issues, owned for a month, and switch between inputs multiple times daily. Google is your friend when it comes to HDMI and how to set it... whether you do RHID, or through, or just the basic setup. Sure, the manual that comes with this system explains everything pretty well, but for a personal preference, google!!!
Sub-woofer Auto-off/on: Yep, the sub shuts off at low levels all by itself... i actually bought another onkyo subwoofer for the 7.2 sound, and both do. Here's my theory on the auto-off/on... if you are listening to music, tv, or a movie at a low enough level where the sub shuts off... it doesnt need to be on!!! The subwoofer that come with this system puts out A LOT of bass, add another and it's ridiculous at high levels... I have kids, and i obviously stay up later than they do... no need for walls to be echoing bass at 1am when they are sleeping. The one downside of the auto-on, is when the subwoofer actually does come on, it makes a louder sound, like the amp pushes extra power to get it going, almost like a "pop". Not super loudh, but you will know when it comes on. Sub(s) 5/5
Internet, and firmware updates: When I got the system, I had the Onkyo wireless adapter delivered with it. Again, as per reviews, I was a little leary on the signal, and so on. So, to do the firmware update, I hard wired just the reciever to the internet, in another room, with nothing attached to it. Performed the online update. It took roughly 5 minutes total, told me it was complete. With the firmware update make sure to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS!!! Some people have said their system locked up and would not unlock... that has everything to do with firmware. If you go step by step, there will be no problems. After the update, i attached my wireless adapter, and within 20 seconds, it attached to my home router, and I was listening to pandora. Easy as that. Also... for iphone/android users... the onkyo app is AMAZING!!! Stream anything from the phone, and the receiver picks it up... clarifies it, and plays. Wireless/Online 5/5
Conclusion: When dealing with any home audio/video equipment... read the book first! Also... like many other reviews, replace the speaker wire this system comes with!! ALL of it!! Including the subwoofer cable. Trust me, it will make a HUGE difference! I went with CL2 in-wall 14g speaker wire, and wow did it change the way the system sounds!! Also... the audessy mic that this comes with... use it!! do the programing... it will take about 15minutes total, and will make your room come to life! Remember, the receiver is THX cert'd, but the speakers aren't. So you want to adjust them to the best possible levels they can be to get the most out of this! That being said, I still give the speakers 5/5. A lot of people have said they can't get the high tones out of them the way they feel it should sound... but after i connected the audessy, i got highs/mids in the rear, and mids/clear voices in the front. I really see no issues with that. Sure, if you are wanting a true THX experience, go pay the $1000+ for a full 7.1 set of THX cert'd speakers... me? I completely satisfied with what I have!! overall 5/5 with really 0 cons. Thanks for reading... I hope this helps!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Product Recall from Manufacturer - Beware, May 4, 2012
I'll update this review once the product recall/ replacement process has been completed, but as it stands now, the receiver that is part of this package (TX-NR609) is under a recall (along with a wide array of other Onkyo products) for a range of manufacturing dates in late 2011/ early 2012. See press release from Onkyo USA website titled "Sudden Shut down and or Static Noise from speaker". My receiver is exhibiting both of these issues, as well as frequent loss of signal on 3 of the HDMI inputs (signal will drop out entirely for 3-5 seconds at a time, usually at the rate of 3-4x per hour).

If you go through Onkyo for the product repair/ replacement, you can expect 6-8 weeks total turnaround time to get your receiver back. I am having Amazon ship me a replacement and crossing my fingers the new one won't be on the recall list... (FYI Amazon apparently cannot replace/ ship only the receiver even though it is available separately, and the box for this thing is a beast @ 107 pounds so you will have your hands full just to swap out the receiver...)

May 9, 2012 Update:
After receiving the replacement package from Amazon, I was relieved to find the new receiver serial number was not on the recall list. It was also nice to find that the receiver is located in the top of the box, so it was fairly easy to replace just the receiver and re-tape the package for the return. So far I've not had the auto shut-off/ static noise from the speakers (as was specified in the product recall notice), but I still have the frequent loss of signal on multiple HDMI channels. I've tested with multiple HDMI cables, on multiple pieces of AV equipment running through the Onkyo receiver with the latest firmware update, and directly to the TV to bypass the receiver and am certain the receiver is the root of the problem. This makes for an extremely frustrating viewing/ gaming experience, and I'm now stuck with the options of either tearing down my current home theater setup to return the entire package to Amazon, or going without the receiver for 6-8 weeks in hopes that Onkyo can repair this issue (which after doing some research I've found that faulty HDMI boards are becoming a common problem for Onkyo receivers.)

I'm sure this package is great for the people that don't end up with multiple lemons as I have, but this is certainly my last Onkyo purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful sound and appearance, December 10, 2011
I am not anywhere near an expert on speakers. I wanted to buy my husband a home theatre system to go along with the Sony Bravia XBR55HX929 I bought him as a Christmas surprise, so I started doing a lot of research. Initially, I totally intended to buy one of those rinky dink HTiB sets but after many (10-15) trips into best buy asking 34325543 questions, I decided to spend more money and buy a quality system. What attracted me to this particular set was only the appearance of the speakers themselves. I needed "tall" front speakers due to the design of our set up, and these ones looked really nice. I was quite surprised to find, when I opened the box, that this set it just onkyo's TX-NR609 receiver and their SKS-HT870 speaker set.

There's nothing I can say about this that the reviewer before me hasn't, other than the box it was delivered in is HUGE. I didn't measure it, but I'm 5'6 and it came up to at least my under arms and was about 3 feet wide. Set up was fairly straight forward, I was able to do it by myself with no problems. The sound is awesome. We will probably never use even half of the options this thing is capable of, but just for TV and Movie use, I couldn't ask for anything more. We are very happy... My neighbors.... Not so much :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, December 16, 2011
I was very impressed with the Entertainment Center. Very easy to hook up! and the built in Network with Pandora and all those internet radio programs work like a champ. The surround sound is very intense and crystal clear for any setup. Regular Cable, Video Games, and even Blu-Ray! all sound fantastic. The sub woofer is actually more gigantic than the picture leads on. Its MASSIVE!!! Sounds Great, and has a super glossy front with a pretty wood finish. Very classy Looking! The Tower speakers are at least 4 ft tall and look very professional and sound terrific! Love everything about this system and Amazon has the best price on all the internet. Even better than NewEgg.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Entry Level Home Theater, April 1, 2012
I've been hunting for a receiver and speakers for a little while now, and despite looking at individual receivers from Onkyo and Denon, speaker packages, or standalone speakers, I kept coming back to the Onkyo home theater systems. While many audiophiles on high end forums like avsforum will quickly poo-poo any home theater in a box system, I would say that any of the Onkyo systems will deliver the experience and quality that you're looking for in an easy and affordable system.

There were a few reasons that drew me to this package -

1. The receiver included is the TX-NR609, which by itself is a $400 - $500 receiver. It's now last years model, since replaced by the TX-NR616, but doesn't lack any major features. 7.2 capabilities, Ethernet port to connect to your home network to stream music either locally or over Spotify or Pandora, 3D support, and support for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD for your Blu-rays. Perfect for any basic system.

2. The floor standing speakers. I know its more of an aesthetic thing, but I just love the look for front speakers far more then bookshelves on stands. This set looks fantastic and elegant next to a large HDTV. Paired with my 50" plasma, they look great. The other Onkyo packages have bookshelf speakers, and just less appealing.

3. The price was great. Yes you could piece together a separate receiver and a cheap speaker package from Energy or Klipsch that might sound a bit better. But honestly, at around $600-700 for the set its hard to beat the value given the receiver included. Personally, I absolutely love the quality and having visited friends with much, much more fancy (and expensive!) audio equipment, I don't think the difference is worth it. For someone with a small living room, this fits the need perfectly both in quality and in volume.

I'm extremely happy with this purchase. I have my XBox 360, HD cable box, and Blu-ray player all connected and this system has absolutely delivered a pleasant experience in all media. The Audyssey calibration is great and adjusted my speaker levels for me based on the position of my couch, which was another big plus.

Note: The box is huge! I wouldn't attempt to move it around alone, and expect a couple hours to get everything set up the way you want. The rear speaker cables are 25 feet, which could end up a bit short depending on the size of the room. The subwoofer cable is fairly short as well, so I purchased a separate 25 foot cable to run to the back of my room and out of the way. Minor complaints though. The speaker cables are color coded and easy to hook up, and as long as you have HDMI cables for all your devices it was a cinch to connect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Satisfied, January 24, 2012
I bought this to replace a very outdated Yamaha 5.1 receiver so if you're replacing a newer device your results may vary.

First off, it was extremely easy to unpack, setup, and get working. The included cables could have been a bit longer, but I had purchased thicker gauged speaker wire and hadn't planned on using the originals.

The results were amazing to say the least. I've only had the product a few days but watching a blu ray with DTS Tru-HD sound is jaw dropping. Action movies felt as though bullets were flying through the room, I almost wanted to check outside to see if it was a real helicopter landing, etc...

I have connected the Motorola cable box DVR, Panasonic 3D Blu Ray, and XBOX 360 via HDMI and all work well. There is a slight delay when switching from HD content to non HD content on the cable box, I believe this has to do with the formatting and upscaling, but have to verify.

I connected a Nintendo WII via composite but have not yet tested it.

I also performed the speaker setup with the included microphone which went very smoothly as well as performing a wired firmware update over the internet.

I can honestly say I have no second thoughts or the least bit of buyers remorse with the purchase.

One other nice feature if you call it that is it came with 2 user manuals. One in English and one that combines Spanish and French. This effectively reduces the size of the manual I'll keep to a 1/3rd the expected size. Nice touch by Onkyo.

There is also a 2 zone function which allows you to attach an additional 2 channel set of speakers and play sound from an additional source. Haven't used it yet, but if you wanted to run speakers for music to a separate area it is a nice feature. (Thinking about outdoor speakers for the back patio)

I definitely would recommend this to a friend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead receiver in less than 6 months, January 22, 2013
June 4, 2013 Update...
So it's only been about 5 months and unfortunately, my Onkyo TX-nr609 receiver has failed. When I turn it on, it clicks and pops up a quick message "Check SP Wire", and then it turns off. I disconnected all wires, and checked for any issues but didn't find anything wrong with speaker wires. So then I actually replaced all of the speaker cable (Monster 16 gauge) just to make sure that I started on clean slate but that didn't help. Called Onkyo customer service but service is an understatement. Before I could even explain what was going on, the guy rudely cut me off and said that since it was not a year old yet, I needed to ship the unit (at my expense) to the nearest service center (Lincoln Park, NJ) and he hung up! I'm just dumbfounded at this point and don't even want the system anymore. I can't believe that it hasn't even been a year and the receiver is broken and then the horrible customer service just takes the case. I will never purchase anything "Onkyo" again!! At this point, I really can't recommend Onkyo as a reliable product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Onkyo HT-S8409 7.1 Review, February 24, 2012
This Home Theater System has great sound and is very easy to setup and comes with software to balance your speakers to the acoustics in the room. Make sure you place your receiver in a ventilated area because it will generate some heat.

I reviewed a lot of sound systems and this one came out on top. Most reviews had some negative comments, but this one had less then any I reviewed. The system comes with 18 gauge wire which I used on small runs and with the back speakers I used 16 gauge speaker wire.

You will need to purchase another HDM1 cable if you want to control the sound from your TV through the Onkyo receiver. I bought my cable through MyCableMart.com and have also bought through Amazon.com.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but..., April 6, 2012
So far this has been a great system for a great price. One thing that reviews nor Onkyo's sight tell you is that if you are mounting the speakers to the wall a traditional/universal wall mount hardward does not work. The speakers do not have the "screw-on" ability. If you're mounting to the wall they will need to sit flush against the wall and hang on a screw. This creates a problem when you don't have a back wall to mount the speakers as the traditional speaker stands won't work. If anyone has found one (a speaker stand) that works please pass the information along.

Rate and Discover Movies