5.0 out of 5 stars HT-S9400THX
I purchase this HT-S9400THX system for a new home theater that I was building. It performs wonderfully. The bass is unbelievable, try a space film! The first moveie I put in was a Disney film, my dog ran away to hide when the fireworks went off! They always shake him up on the 4th. I have it hooked up with a Sharp LC-70LE735U & BD-HP35U, and they all work flawlessly...
Published on February 18, 2012 by PappaJojo

3.0 out of 5 stars Read this before buying this Onkyo product.
I thought I did a lot of research before purchasing this all in one set. Unfortunately I never when on the official Onkyo support forum to see all of the HDMI issues with their receivers. The set arrived in perfect condition in a HUGE box with everything inside. The speakers are awesome and the powered sub-woofer really brings the bass to the party.

My home...
Published 24 months ago by J Cissell

‹ Previous | 14 5 614 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great HTiB if the price is below or around $700 - $800, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Onkyo HT-S9400THX 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package (Electronics)
I was looking for a decent 7.1 HTiB to complement my new Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" plasma TV.
My TV viewing and listening area is just 14 x 12 ft. So building a home theater from separate components would be an overkill and a waste of money for my intended purposes. Unfortunately, there are not so many HTiBs on the market which have a good set of speakers and a full featured AV receiver. Almost all of them have built in Blu-Ray players that is an additional weak point in the system. In a few years down the road either mechanical failure or another change in media format may leave you with a partially functional unit, and sharing the same circuitry between Blu-Ray player and AV receiver means a compromise between certain electrical parameters. So I prefer dedicated purpose separate units in this respect.
After researching different brands of HTiB I have finally settled for Onkyo HT-S9400THX package. I purchased it from my local Best Buy at the same price of $774.99 as Amazon's. In the case of a defective set it would greatly simplify its return and exchange for me. This system was introduced to the market back in 2011. To me it is a positive thing, because most of its initial kinks and problems with faulty HDMI boards were resolved at this point. My HTiB set was manufactured in Oct. 2013 so it was not a left over from the previous year potentially defective runs. Its integrated amplifier circuitry has a better thermal compensation than a discrete one. I cannot imagine that an average home user will be manually tweaking certain parameters of the amplifier to perfect its characteristics, which would require a discrete circuitry for that matter. Unlike this set, very few HTiBs include Acoustic Suspension set of speakers and a 12" powered sub woofer which produce more accurate sound than ported ones but require more amplifier power to drive them. I am not sure whether its THX I/S Plus certification provides any additional benefits, other than conforming to a certain arbitrary set of standards. Though, its Audyssey auto speaker calibration is a great time saver. I must also compliment its Over-lay GUI via HDMI system interface. Setup wise, I positioned front speakers 12 ft apart, placed center speaker right above the TV and arranged surround left, right and back speakers to form an arch behind the sitting area to create a complete immersion into a movie scene. Sound wise, this HTiB is a very good one. Its 12" sub woofer literally rumbles and shakes our whole TV viewing area. We have watched Avatar movie in the cinema theater and at home on our plasma TV using this Onkyo HTiB. I must say that our home viewing and listening experience was better than in the movie theater. I do not see many draw backs for this HTiB other than the following. Its remote control does not have back lit buttons but it is not a critical flaw in my opinion. 4K video conversion via its Qdeo Technology by Mavell is a useless feature. That is what Blu-Ray player or TV is for. Sub woofer and speaker cabinets are made of MDF not a solid wood. I don't see this as a negative factor sound wise, but in a long run MDF is known to absorb moisture and become brittle. Some people complaints regarding included thin speaker and sub woofer wires are groundless. You have to buy your own set of good 14 - 16 gauge wires and not to be a cheapskate. So far, our experience with this HTiB is a good one. I will post an update down the road at a later time.

Update. As of Jan 24, 2014 this set is going strong. No issues whatsoever. Very enjoyable movie and show experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Onkyo Myth.., July 31, 2013
When getting ready to purchase a 7.1 surround system read more than a few disparaging reviews about this system.
But went with what it offered in so much as THX certified sound, along with the speaker package included and power. I can happily report the system sounds better than advertised, setup using the provided sound analyzer and microphone was a breeze. All the earlier problems expressed by unhappy customers were due to board failures and talking to an Onkyo Certified repair tech, all those design flawed boards have been corrected in the later year models..
Great System! Sound is phenomenal!
If you have a small 10 foot or less TV room.. This system will rock your viewing experience!!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 9400THX Onkyo Home Theater, Audio Guao, July 13, 2013
I Bought this Home Theater System to integrate it into my Samsung UN65F7100 and truth that is incredible audio and advantages offered, levels of detail is nice. I recommend the eyes closed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound very good., May 16, 2013
It fills all my expectations about sound quality and connectivity. Only one point that would be better is the size, it is quite big and heave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Home Theater Nexus, April 25, 2013
This replaced an older Onkyo HTIB (Home Theater-in-a-Box) setup and we have been amazed by the sound quality. Luckily the speaker cables were already in place from the old system so setup was a snap. The hidden gem of the Onkyo is the wonderful documentation. I posted a few snaphots taken from their manual that quickly explains the differenc in cables to use and optimal speaker-room setup.

This setup is certified by THX. THX is not a component or technology, it is a quality assurance system. Hardware manufacturers send early design samples to THX to be tested and to receive their recommendations and feedback on what to tweak to obtain THX certification. THX certifies the system can, when properly set up, provide a high-quality playback to ensure that any THX film soundtrack will sound as near as possible to the intentions of the sound engineer. So following the manual to ensure proper setup is key.

My setup includes an XBox 360, Sony Blu-Ray Player, HP Proliant Microserver as a HTPC (Home Theater PC) and a Roku 2 XS. I use the optical toslink cables to run optical audio from the XBox and Blu-Ray. I run HDMI from the Roku and HTPC. Then I have HDMI going to my LCD TV. I run a CAT5 ethernet from the router LAN port to the receiver. The receiver can also play media hosted on the HTPC via DLNA (I have UniversalMEdiaServer running too). Any DLNA device on the home LAN should be playable.

So far this system has worked superbly and there is one minor issue. When I start the receiver sometimes is taeks a minute or longer to get sound. Not sure why but I try to not turn the receiver entireley off.

[FEATURES]
[+] THX Certification
[+] 7.1 Surround with Subwoofer
[+] 4 HDMI IN and 1 OUT
[+] 2 Optical Inputs
[+] Ethernet for Internet Radio (SiriusXM Internet Radio/vTuner/Last.fm/Pandora/Rhapsody/Slacker/Mediafly/Napster)
[+] Play from USB flash drives and MP3 players
[+] DLNA
[+] Receiver On-Screen Display via HDMI
[+] Audio Return Channel (ARC) sends radio to HDMI out
[+] Dolby Digital and DTS

5.0 out of 5 stars THX Sound Quality with near-audiophile worthy fidelity, April 16, 2013
Set up was simple and to the point. If you have ever set up a receiver before, this will be a breeze. Also it comes packaged with speaker wires for all of the speakers. I highly recommend you buy thicker gauged wire and strand your own wire though. A 100 foot reel of 18 gauge speaker wire costs around 45 USD.

The sound quality was actually surprisingly good and well rounded. I consider myself a borderline audiophile, and own a wide array of headphones and amps to listen to my music on. The sound produced (especially at higher volumes) with these speakers rivals some extremely high end (and extremely expensive) systems. Turn this puppy up to THX reference quality volume (82 on the receiver) and this should fill almost any room with lush, loud, quality sound.

The receiver is easy to manage, and the speaker volume setting is easily done with the microphone. Navigating the receiver is very simplistic. The remote for the receiver is very Japanese and will feel ackward at first. The power button is on the side most Americans aren't used to, amongst other slight oddities. Once you get it down (took me ten minutes) it becomes very fluid.

I highly recommend this product. One more thing, my box came beat up to heck - but everything worked perfectly well. It is a 120 pound box, expect this to be a 2 person lifting job. The packaging inside the box is very well done and protects the product very well. Just hope your box holds up for shipping. I would strongly suggest overnight or 2nd day shipping (easy to do it if you have prime, which I do).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Entry Level 7.1 System, March 25, 2013
For anyone looking to build a 7.1 channel home theater system, this is an excellent choice.

The good:
-Sound quality is excellent, even operating as 3.1 system. The receiver dynamically switches between Dolby "Normal Dialog" and "Movie" modes, optimizing voice and back ground through the speakers.
-The speakers are of substantial weight, which means they aren't susceptible to rattling and drifting.
-The remote, though it looks intimidating, is actually quite intuitive and easy to work with. Most basic adjustments can be performed in just a few button pushes.

The not as good:
-The speakers are massive, not heft wise, but size wise. The fronts and the center looks reasonable flanking my TV (55"), but may dwarfy anything under 50". If you value sound performance over proportion, this isn't a deal breaker. The satellites are much smaller than the fronts and center, which is where the adventure begins. Think carefully about satellite placement, as these bad boys could easily be run into mounted at body level. If you have a small room with a lot of furniture in it, you might need to get creative.
-The speaker wire is really light gage. I need to check again, but I'd estimate that the speaker wire with insulation is 16ga. Don't plan on using the factory wire if you set up a Zone 2 any significant distance away. Will definitely be upgrading to 14ga or 12 ga for all channels. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing for the longevity of the speakers and receiver.
-The speaker wire lugs on the receiver ar hook-around instead of pass through. All the speakers have pass through lugs, which makes wiring secure an easy. On the receiver, all the lugs are hook around style. I definitely did not get contact the first time I wired up the center channel.

Summary:
As you can see above, there's nothing bad about this system, just a couple of things that could use some tweaking. If you'll be buying this system knowing you'll be making repeated tweaks, I'd strongly recommended getting some heavier gage wire and some banana plugs for the receiver side. This system would have received a well earned 5 star rating were these inclued. Also, be sure to get yourself some sturdy wall anchors for mounting the speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tons of features and excellent quality video and sound at a decent price!, March 22, 2013
This system is really loaded with features and has inputs for just about anything you might have. I was really surprised with the video upscaling. And the sound is outstanding. I got the unit on sale at around half of it's list price and am truly amazed. The only complaint is the first one shipped to me would not power on for longer than 45 seconds. However Amazon has an excellent and trouble free return policy. They even sent UPS to pick up the faulty unit and shipped me a new one before i had even returned the bad one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sound and features!, March 18, 2013
K. Cook (San Ramon, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I read all of the reviews and have been thinking about purchasing this system for a couple of months. The negative reviews scared me a little. Glad I made the purchase. The sound is incredible!
Pros:
Excellent sound
Nice features and menu
Cons:
Speakers are heavy. Bougth the Videosecu satellite studio speaker mounts. The speakers seem a little heavy for them but they are up and holding just fine.
Speaker wire. I bought 16 gage wire and am glad I didn't use what comes with the system. I also used banana plugs and I would recommend using them.
I am really happy with the purchase..

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Amazon, March 13, 2013
When I received my first order, the receiver was defective. On a sunday afternoon, I tried to call Amazon and unexpectedly, someone answered my call and took care everything for me right there and then. She was very kind and she took away all my worries. I was worried coz i ordered this online. After that call, all I can say is Amazon is amazing! On Tuesday morning, I received the replacement as she promised me. All I can say again is Amazing! I love Amazon.com. I have been using this for years and they never fail to give good customer satisfaction. I cannot thank the lady enough who took care of my worries on Sunday March 10 at around 6pm. This is not just a small item that it will be replaced. It's 120lbs box of sound system. Guess what, Im enjoing the sound using the replacement receiver. Kudos to AMAZON!

‹ Previous | 14 5 614 | Next ›