5.0 out of 5 stars The Home Theater Beast
Published on March 22, 2010 by Thang Nguyen

1.0 out of 5 stars Awesome features BUT REGULAR SOUND FAILURE!!!
Published on March 11, 2012 by David Fortune

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Home Theater Beast, March 22, 2010
This review is from: Onkyo TX-NR5007 145 Watts 9.2-Channel AV Surround Home Network Receiver (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
I purchased the Onkyo TX-NR5007 in February 2010 to replace my Onkyo TX-SR806. Going from the 806 to the 5007 was like day and night. The sound from the 5007 is easily the best I've heard from any receiver. I work in an electronics store and I hear many units daily from the Denon AVR-4810CI and the Pioneer Elite SC-27 and they, in my opinion, can't match the Onkyo in terms of sound and features.

The new TX-NR5007 have 192kHz/32bit Burr-Brown DACs, and 4 independent power supplies for better sound. Along with those features for sound, this receiver includes the HQV Reon 1080p upscaling that even makes my HD inputs look better when compared to the Faroudja chip that was in the TX-SR806. For those interested in making the picture look even better, it's ISF certified and you can use this feature to professionally calibrate day and night picture modes for each input.

The networking features also great. I use Pandora radio a few times a week and am very happy with the quality. I had a problem setting it up though. None of the stations showed up on my internet radio until after I reset the entire receiver. This receiver can also stream music from media servers such as your PC, and it can also play music off of a USB hard drive or thumb drive.

I'm powering Klipsch XF-48's as the left and right channel, and three Klipsch XL-23's as a center channel, and left and right surrounds, along with a Definitive Technology Supercube Reference subwoofer (5.1 setup). What's surprising is that there is still room for four more speakers and one more subwoofer (9.2 setup). If you don't need a receiver that's capable of passing through 3D signals (HDMI 1.4), I would recommend that you get this receiver because I've never heard one that sounded better especially at this price point. Please make sure you can fit and carry this beast before purchasing though. It is gigantic and it weighs near 60lbs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awesome features BUT REGULAR SOUND FAILURE!!!, March 11, 2012
This receiver has an ongoing problem with signal processing that prevents sound from getting to the speakers. Apparently this is an ongoing problem with Onkyo receivers. The firmware update supposedly fixes the problem but only temporarily. Board failures that prevent the unit from transmitting sound to the speakers. Onkyo doesn't really acknowledge the problem publicly but the firmware update says something to the effect of fixing the "problem with no sound when the receiver has been in standby for an extened period of time". This is an understatement. My receiver powers on but no sound. Hard reset sometimes fixes this but now it isn't working anymore. Local Onkyo service center is overwhelmed with these units with signal processing board failures.

It sucks because I love everything else about this receiver including the power output - BUT NOT HAVING SOUND KIND OF DEFEATS THE WHOLE PURPOSE!!! I will never buy another Onkyo!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Onkyo TX-NR5007: can be glitchy at times, June 4, 2010
I have had this unit for close to a year and a half. At first I tolerated the quirks and really dug into the manual to assure that I understood the unit better. My initial problem from day one was that the unit would freeze up to the point where it wouldn't change functions or even turn off. Had to unplug the unit and perform a hard reset which by the way resets all settings where I have to recalibrate the Audyssey speaker setting. For whatever reason the problem seemed to clear after a software upgrade or perhaps it was replacing the weak batteries in the remote with new ones. Since then the unit will freeze up every 2 to 20 days and require me to turn it off, unplug it, then plug it back in. This is ridiculous.
Now every day when I turn on the unit there is no sound. I have to perform a hard reset. I am a bit disappointed. My Yamaha receiver is still doing just as well now as it did when I purchased it several years ago.

Update: I discovered that if I let the receiver warm up for 8-10 minutes then press the standby/on button off then on the sound will resume. The next day I recalibrated the Audyssey speaker setting and now the receiver has sound without having to warm up. However I expect this problem to occur again.

I hope that ONKYO has overcome these problems with the newer models.

>>>>>>>>>>>> Update: June 19, 2012

In Dec. 2011 I sent this receiver to an Onkyo recommended repair facilities in Syracuse,NY. The Problem was a defective HDMI board. Since the needed part was on back order, Syracuse sent the unit to Onkyo in NJ. Onkyo NJ then sent to me a New TX-NR-5009 receiver replacement which so far has functioned much better and without any of the 5007's HDMI quirks.
I am very pleased and I sincerely appreciate the efforts of both United Radio of Syracuse and Onkyo for their resolution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparative the best of its class; no flaws., October 8, 2010
Manhattan Dweller "C" (Manhattan, New York City) - See all my reviews
This purchase was made more than 3 months ago to replace a great functioning Onkyo 805. The 805 was passed down to family as a gift and they loved it. The 5007 is even better in many additional aspects. I have used Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Dennon, and Harmon Kardon in the past and this unit by far beats them all in quality, user friendliness, and price. Uncertain of all the criticism of clicking sounds as there are some occasional soft clicks when the device is trying to decode changing audio formats/codecs when the audio source format changes, but that is common with any other receivers of the same class required to decode this many audio algorithms. This actually can be completely avoided if each source is set up with a default audio program in the set up menu (if the user understands the overwhelming list of audio programs/codecs and bothered to check this out.) It is actually much less clicking and when click, much softer to the point of not noticible even close up than the 805... Uncertain if some reviewers who singled out this unit about the clicking but did not mention common clicking found in all receivers of this class got this unit as the first device of this class to decode multichannel lossless formats, and they are not expecting any clicking that is normal as they were comparing to receivers that can only decode older, compressed multi channel surround audio formats from DVDs and TVs? The net capability was also very easy to use and works well. It is a few pounds heavier than the 805 and a LOT heavier than any other competing receivers of the same price/feature class (close to a whopping 60lbs). Heavier means beefier power supply transformers for the amplifiers (try picking up some professional amplifiers such as QSC and you will know what I mean. I have a side professional recording/mixing system so I can compare to professional equipment). Usually you have to pay a lot more $ for this...The Pioneer Elite, using lighter digital amps, got some good reviews from most publications, but also a very poor review from Audioholics' professional technical test report as it cannot deal with multichannel speaker resistive load variations much under 8ohms. Furthermore, the inboard digital equalizer room correction system in Pioneer is just an 11 band graphic type, not a parametric one found in Audyssey in Onkyo. Furthermore, if you prefer graphic equalizer, Onkyo also has a 7 band graphic equalizer as an option additional to Audyssey for use separately for each of the 11 audio channels. The new Audyssey room correction equalization algorithm also got rid of the annoying mid high frequency emphasis and top end attenuation found in the older Audessey products, now sounding a lot more natural, airy, and open. Subwoofer cross over frequencies selections are from 40hz and up with a fine 10hz increment until 120hz then 150hz and then 200hz, totaling of 11 frequency set points! I also have the 9.2 set up with 9 Kilpsch Reference speakers and a pair of SVS subwoofers with a Pioneer 60" Kuro plasma. The various 9.2 surround effects vary from overly artificial to almost not noticeable and very subtle, to spectacularly large BUT natural, making common point source speakers (even horn loaded like the Kilpsch) sound more like super tall and large line source speakers. The remote, like any higher end Onkyo remotes, are the best. Programmable and learn-able with a host of logical macros and even back lit, it makes universal remotes unnecessary. Sound quality is pristine, natural, and effortless. SACD, DVD Audio (I have both), lossless FLAC audio, Bluray, HD DVD (I have that format as well) all just sound fantastic. I have used many, many electronic components, and I recommend this product with the highest regard and respect to Onkyo engineers!

1.0 out of 5 stars My turn for a dead receiver...., December 4, 2012
Like many of the end users out here of Onkyo Receivers my unit has finally failed with the exact same symptoms - no sound across the HDMI board. This is sad that the number of cases across all their line of receivers has not led to a class-action lawsuit is beyond me. I will never buy any Onkyo gear ever again and recommend on every forum to take care to avoid their products. I certainly did not buy at the high end of the Onkyo line to end up with potentially throw away gear. A new receiver with similar features is about the same price as the repair - just crazy.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars down to 1 back to 5, March 3, 2010
Ash Patel (cincinnati, oh United States) - See all my reviews
When you compare specification amongst receivers, this Onkyo model is unrivaled. Its not an inexpensive receiver by any means, however, if used properly, it can server as the central hub to your entertainment.

When I first received the receiver, I was shocked at how heavy it is. Make sure you have a sturdy entertainment stand/rack for this receiver. Being an I.T. guy by trade, I dove into the manual and all of the features. When attempting a firmware upgrade, I encountered some serious problems. A call was placed to Onkyo support and the tech was able to get me up and running.

Two month update:
This receiver is garbage! I am going to contact Onkyo to see if they will take this back. As one comment mentioned, there are endless clicking noises from the receiver. The funny thing is, I can live with that. My AV equipment is in a closet and the clicks, though audible, are easy to forgive. The big flaws: Whenever the unit loses power, it craps out. Half the menu's become inaccessible and this is what I initially called Onkyo about. They walked me through doing a factory reset. I have since had to do several of these resets. The real problem here is you have to spend about 30 minutes setting everything back up again. I have a Monster power conditioner hooked to the unit since day 1. On a few occasions, I have had to reset the unit even though power was never compromised.

One day, the receiver just turned off on its own. When I went to turn it back on, it didn't think there were any speakers attached to it. No sound no matter what. Again a factory reset. I have the latest firmware but the problems are endless.

I love having networked access to the receiver and being able to listen to Pandora. My advice - avoid this receiver at all costs! I am going to contact Onkyo to see if they will take this junk back! Will post updates after I speak with Onkyo.

A long time has passed since this review. Here is the final verdict. I could care less about the clicking noise. Again, my receiver is in a dedicated AV closet. I spoke with Onkyo and my options were to send the unit to Onkyo or an authorized service center. I believe a service center would be more objective than Onkyo, who has been of very little help thus far. I researched service centers in the Midwest and spoke to several of them. I found the following place:

SPECTRUM SOUND INC
3440 WEST 30TH ST
INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46222

I chose this outfit because they repair cones inside speakers and all types of DJ equipment. I UPS'd my receiver to them and spoke with the actual tech who was working on the unit. The gentlemen had 25 years of experience repairing audio equipment. The gentleman diagnosed a faulty main board and faulty HDMI board. He had to absolutely fight with Onkyo to get replacements boards. He also explained like C. Wang did about the clicking being normal operating sounds.

I received my unit back and have had several months of uptime with no issues whatsoever. I no longer regret buying this receiver but am disappointed in one major feature. The receiver was supposed to operate multiple zones however, this applies to analog sources only. If you have a DVD player or Satellite or Cable DVR that comes in through HDMI, that source will work in zone 1 only. Zone 2 and 3 will only support analog sources.

At the end of the day, the receiver just got bumped up to 4 stars. To all of the people who added to this review with their own issues, THANK YOU! To all of the people who claimed firmware updates fixed the clicking sounds, or that it was user error, REALLY?

3 YEAR UPDATE @#@#@#@##@@##@#@#@#@#

Its happening again! Exact same symptoms. No sound! At first a simple off/on fixes it. Within a few days, you are turning off and on multiple times for sound to work. Then you have to unplug once to get it working. After several more days, you have to unplug dozens of times before sound will work again. I have left my receiver on for a week now because I dread turning it off and having it crap out permanently.

I called the Independent service center which previously repaired it and the gentlemen told me that he has repaired a number of Onkyo's and he's never seen this problem come back. I called Onkyo and simply by providing my serial number, they approved an out of warranty repair. I will again send this unit to the service center and go through this again. I wonder if this will be a bi-annual thing. I can't fault Onkyo because thus far they have done the right thing to take care of a customer.

3.1 year update

The receiver came back from the repair shop with a new HDMI board in it. When I hooked it up, no HDMI sound or picture. The menu's work and pandora works. Back to the shop and it turns out to be a failed PC board. Onkyo has stated they will replace the unit with the same or better model instead of trying to fix it again. We will see what the replacement is but this shows Onkyo stands behind their products and in front of their customers. Keep in mind this unit was out of warranty and they are replacing it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Product while it Lasts, January 8, 2014
I loved my Onkyo receiver when I first bought it and for it's first couple years of function. However Onkyo does have issues with the HDMI board. Mine went out and I was unable to use the HDMI Main out or feed any HDMI inputs into the receiver to feed back to my TV. My components work, as do the optical audio, however a majority of my components require HDMI. I might recommend a lower level receiver where the cost wasn't as prohibitive for replacement, but at a 3 year investment for $2500 only to replace is not worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars audio issue, April 7, 2013
jong lee (Los Angeles, CA, US) - See all my reviews
It is not recognize my speakers and will not sound at all.
Turn it on and off will fix that problem somehow it is getting much harder and harder to get it right.
My warranty was expired about 6month ago and it started happen 3month ago.
It is not acceptable when it is more than $2000
Just dont buy it.

1.0 out of 5 stars No Sound Problem, March 28, 2013
Had the exact same sound failure as others are reporting. Unit was purchased Nov 2010 and was a great unit until a few weeks ago. Like others, sound stopped working, but would come back after a hard power down and restart. After doing that 2-3 times, all sound died. Video still works fine. Based on learnings from some web research I'm going to bypass HDMI and see if sound works via optical or simple RCA. Most frustrating is I also purchased a TX-NR5009 for my 3D system in the main A/V room. Unit was fantastic until a few days ago, but I expect more than 28 months for $1,900.

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this receiver!, July 2, 2012
I got this receiver and it works for 1.5 years, and the known "no sound" issue came out.
I send it to repair shop and they found out it's HDMI board issue and need to be replaced.
It costs me over $400.
Onkyo is known for lots of problem on their flagship receiver, like this one and 2012 model.
I take a look at the inside design.....I suspect it's because cost down, the HDMI board is locate at the rear end and top of the amp board which generate lots of heat, and Onkyo didn't even think about put a metal sheet to block the heat!!!
The heat will slowly "cook" HDMI board, and after warranty expired, you will experience the issue.

So AVOID THIS RECEIVER! unless you want to DIY to block the heat, or pay $500 every 1 to 2 years to fix it.
Why the hassle?