5.0 out of 5 stars Onkyo Powerhouse
Published on November 26, 2011 by B.L.

1.0 out of 5 stars Onkyo on the decline
Published 17 months ago by Richard Sauer

5.0 out of 5 stars Onkyo Powerhouse, November 26, 2011
This review is from: Onkyo TX-NR5009 9.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
This Onkyo TX-NR5009 replaced a 10y/o Pioneer Elite VSX47tx 130W receiver. The decision completed a recent overhaul of my home theater system and has been well worth it! The main reason for purchasing this receiver was to get the power needed to breeze through action scenes without having the receiver clip and turn off like my Pioneer occasionally did due to my 4ohm L/R Martin Logan electrostats. I have now achieved my goal of having a system that I cannnot listen to at its loudest due to it being uncomfortable, which previously I could not do. The reciever is 4ohm certified and must be set to 4ohms through Audyssey. I tested it before switching and reached a loud level before clipping, then reset to 4 ohm and I cannot clip it now! Awesome!!!
The On Screen Display is very nice! A huge upgrade in user compatibility, but I feel that this AVR still has a way to go to become more easily navigatable. 3-4 week learning curve with moderate use. Switching from analog to digital AVR creates an issue with low quality sound files like Pandora, static can now be heard which was concealed on the old reciever, even with Audyssey's smoothing bit technology. A better reciever puts a magnifying glass on content, so any shortcomings become noticeable. HDMI requires better input.
The graphics chips are not noticeable. DVD's still look bad, 720p cable looks like 720p, wouldn't even know if the processors were on or not. I am glad for the 4K converter for future life span of the AVR, hopefully another 10yrs. Sound is where the difference is, more activity on all speakers, especially the surrounds are way more active, Avatar 3D on my 82" was intense!!!! Favorite TV listening mode is Theater-Dimensional, which runs only the front 3 speakers, a much appreciated mode I never had.
Overall summary: get it, it will handle any tasks thrown at it, and enjoy it once you get through the learning curve. Although tweaking settings will never end, so many to choose from. Remember, after reading all the stats you will think this reciever can save the world, but in the end it is just a reciever and allows you to enjoy your favorite audio/video to make life just a little bit better.
Purchased the wireless reciever UWF-1, works ok. Gives a signal strength of 44% in a good wireless network, I will be getting a hardline ethernet run soon to the AVR, not a great nano usb. I have not explored all the plethora of internet apps yet, too many to comprehend:)

1.0 out of 5 stars Onkyo on the decline, April 7, 2013
This 5009 was my third Onyko receiver over the last 10 years and it will definitely be the last. There is a systemic problem running (from my experience) over the entire A/V Receiver line. And the problem has been present for a number of years. I have had to replaced the HDMI video board in THREE of my receivers over the last year and a half! No small feat because the closest authorized Onyko service center is an hour and half drive away in Tampa! The replacement of the HDMI boards have been covered under warranty, but no compensation for the irritation and transporting of units! Especially in the Cable/Satellite mode, the pictures comes up immediately after turning on with flashing of video in color bands or it developes into snow completely losing video signal. As stated I own three units (TX-NR2009, TX-SR508 & TX-NR2006)all manufactured at different periods over the last 3 years. As with any manufacturer, they give no relief or assistance to their customers other than suggesting sending units back and forth to the Warranty service centers. I have my own A/V technician who maintains my equipment (I use the 5009 in a rather large Media Room) and he has tried to deal with Onyko support and found support mearly reads from scripts and neither cares or understands the problems he is facing in the field.

My regret is why I remained so loyal to the brand that I bought three different receivers while aware of the existing problem. My own defense: "Hope Springs Eternal."

1.0 out of 5 stars junk, April 6, 2014
stay away from onkyo product and bad customer support.my onkyo tx-nr5009 lasted only 21 months.no sound,hdmi board problem just like all the latest onkyo receiver.i will never buy an onkyo product again.

1.0 out of 5 stars TX-NR 5009, March 27, 2014
Do not purchase Onkyo, the TX-NR Line has processor board issues. My unit was down for six weeks while parts were on back order, I just got it back and it still does not work. It will be gone for six more weeks easy. I would have only given it a half star but they don't offer that rating. If I can dump this unit and maybe look at emotiva no more name brand crap.

2.0 out of 5 stars Awesome receiver until the HDMI board dies!, November 27, 2013
Samuel A. Munoz (Lebanon, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I love the quality sound the unit puts out and the very good auto-calibration software. I also enjoyed that I could connect to Pandora and other music services from the receiver. I was bummed out that it didn't include WiFi connectivity or streaming video at this price point. The unit is very large and heavy (60 lbs). So it will need a large and strong shelf for good airflow and support. The bummer came when the HDMI board died in less than 1 year of ownership. No video or audio on any HDMI input. A problem that seems to be plaguing the whole Onkyo line up. I called tech support and they immediately knew what the issue was and referred me to the authorized repair center. Shipping such a large and heavy unit will cost big $$$ so I drove the hour to the repair center. They have so many defective receivers in need of HDMI boards that I had to wait nearly 5 weeks to get it back and with a bonus gouge across the top of the unit, free of charge. But really after paying so much your options are very limited. I like the unit, but can't recommend Onkyo due to the risk of hassle you may incur.

1.0 out of 5 stars Repeated HDMI crash, June 7, 2013
I bought the TX-NR5009 in February 2013. In May 2013 the accessories using a HDMI output were not recognized by the receiver. Error message shown on TV was "Input not recognized. Check for correct input." Non-HDMI accessories -- turntable and tape deck worked fine. A receiver reset and firmware upgrade made no difference. I contacted the Onkyo help desk and we went through the Setup menu (which was shown on the TV indicating that the HDMI Main output from the receiver was working. The desk concluded that the HDMI inputs were not working. The desk required that I take the receiver for repair to an authorized Onkyo facility. I did so, and they replaced the PCB board; they indicated that it was not the first time they had seen this problem. After 2 weeks I picked up the receiver from the repair shop and hooked up all the inputs and outputs again. Very time consuming. After only four (4) hours of normal operation, the next time I turned the receiver on, the same problem occurred with the same error message. The Onkyo help desk wanted me to take the unit back to the repair facility, but I had had enough of Onkyo's electronics board quality control and decided to return the receiver to One Call. They were very cooperative and helpful in authorizing this at no cost to me. The return process was started through my Amazon order history. TIP: keep all your boxes and packing materials (including the outer box) if possible. This will make your return process much easier if you are unlucky enough to buy a "lemon".Onkyo TX-NR5009 9.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars GRAB THEM WHILE THERE HOT!!!, January 3, 2013
This is such a great price for this receiver its a steal! There is really no reason to buy the 1 year newer 5010 model for 2999.99 because there is such a mnute difference. Really the 5009 is better because it has more older connections like s video and component vidio. The 5010 does have the new Onkyo Instapreview that is like advanced pip. But not a big deal. And MHL support. First I bought a 1010 wich is the flagship 7.2 for 2012 but found this sweet deal.It just bugged the hell of me knowing that I coould have bought THE flagship model for the same price. Im replacing a Yamaha rx-v2600 and it blows it out of the water! The Onkyo is just beautiful to look at. I didnt even hook it up right away cause I loved looking at the beautiful craftsmanship of the unit.BUY THE 5009 YOU WILL NOT BE DISPOINTED!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars HDMI Board Failure at 12 Mos!, June 24, 2014
HDMI board failure at 12 mos! Part is no longer available. Very disappointed as was very expensive receiver. Will not buy Onkyo again (but repair guy told me "they all suck these days - don't spend much on replacement").

5.0 out of 5 stars researched a lot but went with the onkyo nr5009. read review for why..., March 5, 2013
After lots of searching and reviewing I found this Onkyo 5009 and it has replaced my old Denon A11SR.

The closest Denon competitor that was seriously considered was the AVR4311 here.

I was thinking about a 3009 but i think my brain wouldn't accept that knowing that there is a bigger brother out there...

This is a powerful AV amp with ample headroom in volume for my needs. Although some source material were plenty loud at 70% (especially certain BDs), others (DVDs and MKV files) needed up to 80% to be deafening in a small-to-medium sized room. The setup GUI looks nice and easy to navigate, although some features are filed under catagories one may not be used to. The adjustable functions and features are sufficient, I was impressed by an Equalizer function which can be used for each individual channel. Sound quality is great, robust, bold and muscular, leaning more to the warm side and fairly unoffensive, and it goes loud with ease. Very good surround steering - snappy and accurate. The Transformer series was the perfect movie to showcase its prowess - powerful bass slams with agile and accurate surround steering complimented by good detail and an unoffensive treble. It has an effortless way of producing HT sound so it should cope pretty well at head-banging volumes. The Android remote app works like a charm once a wired ethernet connection is made, it automatically streams whatever music was in my Android mobile phone and plays it nicely. The remote is decent, with backlit buttons and sensible navigation keys, though i would have liked certain buttons to be differentiated by different colors. The build is solid and the unit is heavy and it does get quite hot (at the right corner near the rear), even when idle. I had the chance to try the Onkyo 3009 and it runs cooler. But the heat was manageable, i could lay my hand on it w/o getting scorched and there was no clipping (there are 2 fans inside, with cooling fans at the side). I didnt try the web radio feature yet. Sticker labels for all your cable connections are provided, nice touch. Unlike my previous AV amps which require a change of input on the TV to view the setup menu, the setup menu pops out when activated while you're still watching the movie, it mutes the movie while you'll making adjustments, very convenient. Overall no regrets, its a muscular brute which hasn't shown its true potential yet as i'm currently using them with 2 B&W PV1s and am awaiting the arrival of my true HT Rhythmik sub (15" ported design compared to the current dual-8" sealed ones). A bold, confident & agile performer with plenty of muscle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Onkyo receiver TX-NR5009, April 23, 2013
Andy (Warren, MI, USA) - See all my reviews
This is my dream receiver, I love this machine look good and work good solid build, would not buy another brand beside Onkyo as a receiver, recommend to all music lover.

Rate and Discover Movies