4.0 out of 5 stars Needs More Firmware Updates
While the TX-NR818 is a great AVR for the price and does the basics flawlessly, it does have some issues that need to be addressed. On the good side of things, this Onkyo sounds wonderful. I was skeptical upgrading from a TX-SR805 that this would be able to compare to that unprecedented beast, but it has. Although the 818 does sound generally a little quieter than the...
Published 24 months ago by Brandon

3.0 out of 5 stars 24 frame per second bug, ruins the experience
//Update 04/08/2014

Unit has stopped playing audio from HDMI sources at initial power up. Have to toggle it off and on once or twice after it warms up to get it working again. Appears to be the dreaded "HDMI board failure" that has plagued every Onkyo generation of AVRs going back five years.

Have to decide on buying another one while this one gets...
Published 20 months ago by J. Page

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 414 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The second onkyo Ive bought, February 18, 2013
This review is from: Onkyo TX-NR818 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
It sounds great and works great with bluray players. Again the reviews were very helpful,And as to this day it works great.
I had and old onkyo 777 that worked well till this new one 818. if you get one you will love too.Again thanks for the reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, love the app, zone2/3 not so hot, December 27, 2012
Tom H Symons (Georgetown, Tx United States) - See all my reviews
Just got this installed. Replaced a lower-end unit. I was surprised how much better this one sounds. I was planning on upgrading my speakers next, but it sounded quite good with the modest ($300/pr) speakers I have now. I'm no audiophile, but I wanted to step up to the next wrung and decided to start with this unit from Onkyo. Very hard to find just the right knee in the curve, so I went with this one when the priced dropped $200 just before Xmas. Makes you wonder if they monitor how much you keep going back to the product page - can we make a deal today at this price, sir? But I digress...

The one key feature I really wanted, besides better sound, was a way to play internet radio channels WITHOUT having to turn the bloody TV set on and wading through a bunch of screens. And without using my phone to do the playback. I just wanted it to work like a good ol' fashioned radio tuner, but using internet stations. The 818 does this just fine with an Android app on my phone or tablet. I can select the internet station and channel with the app, then turn it off and the receiver does all the work. And the receiver remembers both when it turns back on and starts playing immediately. This is a great little feature. And Onkyo can provide over-the-air updates, so hopefully it will keep up with the offerings. But it seems no media devices that play through your home stereo system can do this, so relying on the receiver itself is the only viable option today. I'm happy with it so far.

One disappointment with the receiver is the limited and flaky zone2/3 feature. You cannot play any digital source on zone2/3, except for network or USB. So any device you plug into the back panel with a digital connection cannot be played on zone2/3 speakers. No HDMI, coax or optical. You can play an analog source, but, uh, who uses those anymore? You can add an analog cable from any source with one, and then get it to play on zone2/3. I did that with my DVR so I could hear the TV in a nearby room. But then I lose the surround sound in the main room, even without zone2 on, so I have to switch back for that. Any switching back requires you to wade through a bunch of screens. Arrrghhh! You know what I think of that already....

But at least I can play internet radio to the other zones. Unfortunately, however, the zone2/3 control is pretty flaky. The wholehouse button doesn't seem to work at all. And when you push it, then the separate zone2/3 buttons stop working until you turn the unit back off and on. Swell. The zone2/3 button on the remote is equally useless. But I can get the separate zone2/3 buttons on the unit itself to work. Push one twice and then the source plays on the mains and that zone. The app also can switch between the main and zone2/3, but it cannot enable more than one. Maybe my unit is just flaky. My guess is that this is a feature than Onkyo didn't put much effort into. No professional reviews I've read mention these issues at all, so I guess it's not a mainstream feature. One of the reasons I went with this unit, so I was a little disappointed to find out they aren't too good.

So, not perfect, but I'm not aware of anything that can get me everything I wanted, particularly at the price I got, so I'm generally pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the "Best" receivers for 2012! Especially for the price it is right now, December 21, 2012
Anthony5362 (West Hollywood, CA (LaLa Land)) - See all my reviews
I haven't had much time to really play with this beast yet to give a better review, but I wanted to write up my experience so far so people wondering if its good or not will know while its at this low price. I also bought the Wifi adapter and it worked out of the box with no issue. Ok, if your thinking about buying this, do not hesitate and buy it. I've been watching the price of this thing from day one, and as soon as I saw it went on sale, I bought it, I'm still shocked at how much I got this for. I also have a Onkyo 708 from 2010 that's now in my bedroom. Never had one single issue with it. I guess I'm lucky cause I see the 708 doesn't have many great reviews.

The first thing I did once I set this up, was plugged the Wifi adapter in the USB port on the back of the unit so it can update the FW. I read some complaints that the update takes a while, so I wanted to get it out of the way first. Well, the update seriously took 2 min to download from the net, then another 4 min to the receiver. A total of no more than 8 min max. I do get about 16 mps, so maybe the people having the longer download times has slower speeds.

The first thing I noticed though was how much better the sound was compared to the 708. Its also much louder, but it should be since theirs more watts per channel then the 708. The other thing I noticed is I don't get any of the handshake issues like I do sometimes with my older model. Everything just comes on now. I haven't really played around with the video processor yet, but from I can see, my HD cable does look better. I set it to upscale the signal to 1080p and so far it looks amazing. The picture looks sharper and very clear on my 65" Samsung ES8K LED. When I watched something on my Apple TV, things looked even better. I could actually see the actors strands of hair and their imperfections on their face standing about 12 feet away, where before I had to be closer.

I was planning on upgrading my speakers before I bought this reciever, but now I don't think I have to. This reciever is really bringing my speakers to life. Everything sounds much fuller, and cleaner with no distortion. I also find myself listening to the THX modes now where before on my 708, I probably used THX twice in 2 years. Again though, I've only been using this now for a few days so I really haven't tweaked anything. I don't think I need to tweak the sound though because it did a great job using the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room correction.

This is my 3rd Onkyo in a row within 4 years and I've never had one issue with any of them. My 1st one was a HTIB from 2008 and its still going. Not once had I have to take it in for repair. I read a lot of others that theirs failed after a year or two which really surprises me. I always have mine hooked up to a good UPS and power conditioner though. Maybe this is why I never had issues. Having this hooked up to a really good UPS/Surge protector is very important. Its the second thing you should buy after this reciever.. Or even before.

The app for ios and android works very well. I can now turn on my TV and my reciever and control it anywhere in the house, which is great when I have other family members that want to watch TV, but dont know how to turn it on. I will update this when I have more time with it, but I will say this, there is no other reciever out there right now with all these features at this price point. You really get a lot for your money with Onkyo's recievers and I have no buyers remorse whatsoever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Onkyo 818 is excellent value, April 6, 2013
I have been testing this amp for over a month now. I also have a Denon 4520ci in main media room. Onkyo 818 is punching above its weight class. SQ and VQ is equal to my Denon 4520ci (I only have one sub) which cost $2500. I wish I could have bought this Onkyo 818 before, instead of Denon 4520ci. Denon 4520 is awesome amp and so is Onkyo 818.

So far I have no 24frame issue at all. All is working good and as designed. The sound that come out of this amp and my B&W CM9 HT (5.1 setup) is clear, concise and powerful (Audessy XT32 is doing its magic and its an improvement over XT). I can't comment on long term reliability but all I can say is that Onkyo 818 is Fantastic value for the price. I don't think there is any better amp than this in the price range or even up to $2000. I played music/movies at almost reference level for several hours and it never stopped pleasing. I hope this amp don't have issues further down the road. But for now I will give it 5 stars. I would recommend this amp to anyone who is looking to do a 5.1 or 7.1 system.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent receiver best bang for the buck. You can do 9.2 with external amp clearly in manual, December 2, 2012
This receiver is the best bang for the buck in its price range . As a prior owner of denon, Onkyo, and Sony flagship receivers this unit is a culmination of them all. I am not interested in internet playback so that is not important to me ,only complaint I have is you do not have a discreet power trigger for main zone for ext amps . Yes it does does 9.2 with an ext amp for its street price you cannot get a better receiver . I took off one star for the trigger issue which has been ignored by Onkyo for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality at an extremely affordable price....., January 28, 2014
I love the power and clarity this receiver gives me at such a reasonable price. I like the audessey program which calibrates your speakers sound as to where the placement of them is throughout the room, it makes the soundstage in the room so much more enveloping, and equal thriugh the room no matter where your listening point is in the room. I also like all of the customizing you can do with the sound according to what your format is: whether it blu-ray, cd, satellite tv, turntable, radio, etc. Lots of manual presets with the sound which in turn makes it fun, and enjoyable listening experience; which is why you purchase a receiver in the first place!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reciever, December 4, 2013
Works well, though there are a few bugs I have noticed. The Audessy XT setup is great for getting the best sound with minimal effort. It also has to option to run your main left and right in a bridged mode to pump more watts to each. I also like that you can program the volume it sets itself to when you power it up. This is an excellent feature if you forget to turn it down before turning off the unit. It also has a max volume lock so your inquisitive nephew can't walk up and blow your speakers with a turn of the knob. Starts up quick and handles plenty of inputs of video switching. I do notice issues with my sony blu ray where sound will dim for a second and then fade back in but that appears to be an incompatibility with some devices. As a workaround I run HDMI from the blu ray into the tv and then run coax audio from the blu ray to the receiver. MP3 playback also works well but menu scroll times are slow for folders with many files. Overall a good budget receiver

5.0 out of 5 stars great performing AV receiver, April 22, 2013
The netflicks upscaling to 1080p works very well, great sound and picture quality. Love watching action shows like Spartacus. 1

5.0 out of 5 stars Great !!!!, February 28, 2013
LUIS RODRIGUEZ (MIAMI, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Impresive Receiver, nice sound and video. Autocalibration works fine and the ISF too. It's not very compatible with my Optoma 3d Adapter, but I solved sending only the audio to the receiver when I choose to watch 3D. In the future I'll change the projector for a 1080P True-Output.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a receiver!, February 6, 2013
Replaced an outdated Yamaha. Chose this model since it was almost half price. What a deal! I have read reviews about the video processing, but I have to tell you that the picture on my 50" Panasonic Plasma is better than it has ever looked! I have had the monitor (not a TV) for 9 years and it may be that I have not experienced some of the problems that other reviewers have reported since it is a 720p monitor. Sound is fabulous. I highly recommend!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 414 | Next ›