5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST read book-fills in all the missing pieces
Published on October 11, 2012 by Sylvia Carroll

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read
Having read several (not all) of Neale Donald Walsch's books, I found this one along the same vein. For those who love Neale's books, this one should be added to your list.

Published on December 24, 2012 by Rainbowmoon

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST read book-fills in all the missing pieces, October 11, 2012
I've never written a review before but this book is so fantastic that I just had to write one even though I'm only about half way through. It fills in all the missing pieces that I've been looking for and confirmations also. Neale's way of getting the message through is easy to understand and very clear. It is the best book out there for one to understand the souls agenda, our purpose and all the whys and hows. Don't hesitate for one second if you're thinking of buying this book, you WON'T regret it! Don't skip any chapters even though Neale's says that you can if you want because if you do you will miss SO MANY GREAT NUGGETS of wisdom and clarity.

Here are a couple of great nuggets:

"Divinity is all of these things and much more. It is Patience and Kindness, Goodness and Mercy, Acceptance and Forbearance. Wisdom and Clarity, Gentleness and Beauty, Selflessness and Nobility, Benevolence and Generosity. And yes, so much, much more.
You can imagine all of these things, you can think about all of these things, you can hold all of these things as ideas conceptually, but until you EXPRESS all of these things IN you, THROUGH you, AS you, you have not experienced Divinity.
And you will never have an opportunity to experience these things unless Life PROVIDES you with such an opportunity."

"The story of humanity's birthing into the cosmic community of Highly Evolved Beings is already complete, etched into EverMoment.
All has already occurred in that place of Time/No time. It is only the re-witnessing of The Story, with the eyes of our own Consciousness gazing upon it, that is awaited. It is us, bearing witness, that make the story's unfoldment real to us."

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Must Read", October 18, 2012
Andy Nieradko (Manchester, CT United States) - See all my reviews
Wow! I can honestly say, I have never read a book like this one. Ever. And I've read most of the Conversations With God series. I've gotten a lot out of the works of Neale Donald Walsch over the years, though I did find Happier Than God a bit confusing on the first read. That said, The Only Thing That Matters really, and I mean really, stands out from the pack. There's some mind blowing stuff in this sucker. A couple times, I just put the bookmark in, closed it, and stared at the back cover while I assimilated what was just communicated. This is Book 2 in the Conversations With Humanity series, I haven't yet read Book 1, but I didn't find that to be any hindrance whatsoever. You know, it's really great when a self-help book actually helps you better understand your self, your place in the grand scheme of things, and how to improve your experience of both. The Only Thing That Matters lays it all out in a way that is easy to understand (once you get past startled). It also contains five powerful gifts that will change your life if you let them. It's ironic that a book on spirituality and oneness can be so unique, the author truly outdid himself on this one. I swear, I'm not just saying that. FTC Disclosure: I received this book for free from Hay House Publishing for this review. The opinion in this review is unbiased and reflects my honest judgment of the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please read this book!, October 22, 2012
I have just finished reading this superbly insightful and wonderfully wise book and I whole heartedly recommend it to EVERYONE! The book is in a very easily accessible form and although it deals with things of an esoteric nature it does so in a way that our minds can easily understand. It helped me to remember so much - particularly the very purpose of my existence and how to open up to the messages of the soul and begin to trust them more fully than I have been doing. And what is more important is that it did so in such a gentle and encouraging way that I felt no fear only great love, excitement and gratitude to be on this journey into the heart of Life and to have such a great guide along by my side. Thank you Neale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-Membering Your Soul's Knowledge, November 14, 2012
"Know who you really are - and that all those whose lives you touch might know who they are as well, by the light of your example." So says Neale Donald Walsch, author of The Only Thing That Matters.

Walsch gave me a "get out of prison" pass. The pass provided me the ability to learn how to bypass my pain and suffering. It's a pass that can stop the unending supply of negative energy in life. It's all about re-membering (Walsch's play on words) my mind to my soul's knowledge.

What I've learned from The Only Thing That Matters is that re-membering my soul's knowledge is easier than I thought.

By re-membering (reconnecting) my body and mind to my soul with tools he provides, I can tap into solving problems that my soul has already solved for me. It's a matter of bringing forth and remembering my soul's knowledge.

This was a remarkable book reminding me that my soul has a path and a journey. The only problem I'm having with following my path is that I keep taking another route. My route is always a harder one because I keep deviating from the path my soul already knows.

Walsch explains that everything happening to me right now is to give me the opportunity to connect with my soul's agenda. His tools are to free me from suffering, anger, resentment, self-blame, lack of self-worth, hurt and even injury.

An eye-opener was when Walsch asked me to agree that anger, hatred, and violence are a distorted form of love? It was an "aha" moment for me; one that Walsch spends a great deal of time explaining so eloquently in this book.
He explains that this distortion disrupts our ability to connect our body, mind and soul and, therefore, takes us off course.

When the choice in life is to make a living or make a life, Walsch proves there is only one answer; it's simple, yet very complex. It will shock you into a full-blown consciousness you never thought possible. It will get you going where you were always meant to go.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, December 24, 2012

I didn't give it 5 stars because I have found the last couple of books of his that I read to be a bit 'preachey'. Comments that put the reader at a lower level than the author, although probably not meant that way - just his style of writing.

I think overall Neale has done a wonderful job of helping many to find their way out of the fear and gloom we've all been experiencing in different ways, but............ we're all one - just in different places on our paths. Not inferior, just different.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away ! Masterpiece !! Thankyou Neale ;), October 17, 2012
This review is from: The Only Thing That Matters: Book 2 in the Conversations with Humanity Series (Kindle Edition)
Im a huge fan of Neale's books. So I was really looking forward to this one ! Well, Im literally speechless. Its not just a book. Its an experience ! It made me laugh as well as cry and clarified so many missing links in my mind of the greater understanding of what's actually going on. My heartfelt gratitude for Neale. Thankyou thankyou thankyou so much. All my fellow souls reading this review, pls grab this one ! Its a priceless gem !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Explore Beyond the Usual Gives this Book 4 Stars!, December 17, 2012
I was sitting in a restaurant waiting for my friend Amy and her husband Ed to show up when I cracked open the book The Only Thing That Matters by Neale Donald Walsch. I started reading....

"Dear Companion on the Journey: It is wonderful that you have come here. There is something you wish to know and something you wish to do, and Life understands this. That is why you are reading this. Here is what you wish to know...98% of the world's people are spending 98% of their time on things that don't matter.

You have been part of that 98%. Now, you are no longer. From this day forward you choose to spend your time on The Only Thing that Matters. The question is, what is that? Find your answer to that question.

This requires a deep exploration of the Self. You are in the right place for such an important and remarkable undertaking. Trust that. If you weren't in the right place to find your answer, you would not be here. Do not think you have come to this book by chance."

My friend Amy calls my cell phone, "We're on Middle Road. Where are you?"

"You're going to my house not the restaurant. I'm at the restaurant," I said.

"Oh, you're right. I set the GPS for your house address in error."

I gave her directions to the restaurant and kept reading...

"That inner voice is correct. Your life does not have to be a series of worrisome and challenging crisis involving finances, or relationships or health or family--or all of the above. Or, for that matter, on some days, nothing particular...just a nagging sense of out-of-orderness. Neither does the world at large have to be a container of constant calamity engulfing its governance and politics, its commerce and economics, its environment and ecology, its cultures and religions. Listen to that voice...IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY. That is not wishful thinking. That is your Awareness speaking."

I received a second call from my friends, "I think we're almost there."

I kept reading, having a sense there was a message in this book for me. It seemed that my friends were sent on a wild goose chase so I could read.

After moving through three chapters, my friends walked into the restaurant as I turned the page and saw Chapter 4: You're About to Become an Author.

This felt like a similar message I received just before writing Portsmouth A Love Story. I was trying to figure out what to write about when the book Writing Spirit by Lynn Andrews came to me in an unusual way. The book was in the wrong section of Barnes and Noble and it stuck out at me on the shelf. I thought, Writing Spirit? What's this about? I turned the book around to find a message: "You are a writer. Your act of power is the book or the story that you are creating. It is now time for you to bloom." After I saw that quote, the idea for a novel started to download on me.

My friends came into the restaurant and apologized for being late. I told them it wasn't there fault. It was the book. It wanted to sidetrack them so I could read. They laughed and understood exactly what I was talking about. That's the fun of having friends who get it.

I truly enjoyed the first part of the book. Walsch asks questions that make you look at the big picture of your life -where you are and where you want to go. Walsch plays the part of Omniscient narrator, addressing you, the reader, directly as if you're having a conversation with God. His technique is engaging and holds the reader's interest. It's a great book to snuggle up with on a cold winter day and ponder your life direction.

The only thing I didn't like about this book, which is true about most of Walsch's books after Conversations with God was that he takes ideas from other authors in the spiritual metaphysical space and doesn't give them credit. For example, he talks about recognizing that all your problems have been solved. This is straight out of A Course in Miracles Lesson 80: Let Me Recognized that My Problems Have Been Solved. Other concepts in Walsch's book he takes from A Course in Miracles, is my Will and God's Will are one, and all it takes is a Little Willingness to name a few. There are also sections that sound a lot like The Secret.

What is The Only Thing That Matters? You

3.0 out of 5 stars I both disliked AND liked this book! Here's why ..., January 30, 2013
Patti Foy (Jemez, NM USA) - See all my reviews
I have to admit, I have a love-hate relationship with this book.

I've had similar experiences listening to the author being interviewed. Sometimes I enjoy it immensely and other times I'm completely turned off.

Whereas often when I read a book, my final evaluation averages out to one spot on the scale, with this one I disliked/hated some things and liked/loved others.

I decided it can remain a both-and instead of an either-or (or even an average), and I'll tell you all about it. ;-)

What I Didn't Like

For about the first one third of the book, I was really turned off by the "voice" of the author.

I can understand that he is likely using his teaching tone, but to me it felt like he was talking down to me. Especially because most of the topics are quite elementary and he states them like they are the most profound ideas in the world and I'm in kindergarten or something. It just bothered me right off the bat.

Along with (or a part of) that is that he capitalized Important Phrases. Those that he wants to Call Out, or Wants You to Notice. And he did it A Lot. This got old really fast and in some ways even gets confusing. It reminds me of copy you read where the IMPORTANT THINGS are in ALL CAPS and you feel like you're BEING SOLD A BILL OF GOODS. I really think he could do without that.

At some point I just accepted it and then it didn't bother me so much. But essentially, I could have done with a different tone and writing style. It could easily overshadow his message.

As to the content, I think it is so-so. It really depends what you've been exposed to already, but his ideas range from elementary to quite enlightened (IMHO). I also disagree with some of the things he says. I think this is fine and even to be expected, but it happened quite a lot. So I personally enjoyed the reminders but don't recommend this for learning new concepts.

I also think he sort of contradicts himself. As much as he emphasizes the importance of who we are in essence, most of the tools he shares are in many ways mental ideas. So, although he wants you to experience who you are, he gives you tools to apply at a mental level. That doesn't quite cut it. I think he complicates what I've experienced as a very simple and natural process that's quite the opposite of mentalizing.

And finally, even if you're not familiar with the ideas he presents, I don't feel he organized or presented most of them in a very clear, uncluttered manner. It all felt a bit like a hodge-podge when I'd finished.

What I Did Like

About half-way through (or so), he gets to one of his more unusual points. I won't reiterate the point itself and how he explains it, but essentially it ends up that you are presenting yourself with this book and its ideas.

I do agree with that concept -- I think it is fundamental -- and was happy to see him emphasize it as much as he did. Of course, I have to wonder why I gave myself such a mixed bag here! ;-)

But what I loved about it was the way he then uses the contents to give you a real feel for that - it's quite creative of him and was fun to experience.

I liked that there really are some great ideas presented here. It was rather nice to pick and choose and highlight them as reminders.

He also offers ways to implement them in your life.

He did present a few ideas I hadn't heard, that I will enjoy experimenting with and have already seen some benefit from.

And I'm glad I read through the Addendum where he details 4 meditation techniques, all of them a bit different in specifics than those you commonly hear about, and although I've been a meditator for-like-ever ;-) , I will probably try these out at some point just for fun.

I also like that toward the end, he invites you to participate in ongoing conversations and community around this topic (and others) at his website. It's one thing to read a book, put it away, and never apply the concepts. It's completely another to keep it alive within you and to actually make it work in your life. I think he offers a perfect opportunity to do that easily and enjoyably.

Conclusions

So in the end? I guess I'd have to say I'm glad I read it. But I really did have to treat it as a lark and simply enjoy it rather than consider it an important passage into whatever's next for me.

As to the writing style and the contents, I think it depends completely on the individual as to what kind of tone you prefer and what you've been exposed to already as to whether you'll find this a worthwhile (or even enjoyable) read.

I won't be recommending it to my own friends and readers, though I won't discourage them if they feel called to it.

Disclaimer: I received this book for free from Hay House Publishing for review purposes.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Only Thing That Matters by Neale Donald Walsch, November 14, 2012
This is my review of The Only Thing That Matters by Neale Donald Walsch. I acknowledge that I received this book free from Hay House Publishing to review. The opinion in this review is unbiased and reflects my honest judgment.

First and most importantly, I have never read a book quite like this. Although I am familiar with Neale Donald Walsch, I have not read his Conversation series books before. I think that for many, myself included, The Only Thing That Matters conveys a lot of concepts that could be considered mind-blowing, yet the content itself is really nothing new. At least not for a person who reads self-help and is familiar with gratititude, forgiveness, etcetera.

The book itself is very easy to read and written in a stream of consciousness type style. In fact, I read the entirety of it in one sitting because I just couldn't put it down. The chapters are short, though, meaning a person could take their time reading The Only Thing That Matters to full absorb everything that it has said. I did find myself needing to pause every so often to really take in what was written.

Again, while the content itself isn't exactly new information, Neale Donald Walsch presents it in a way that is new and innovative. For such deep topics, The Only Thing That Matters is actually an incredibly easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Beautiful Book, January 9, 2013
Well, the book had me from the beginning. Saying that 98% of us spend 98% of our time on things that don't matter. And I want to spend 98% of my time doing things that do matter. And you probably do, also.

That's a very strong statement, and of course I wanted to know more. I wanted the answer to the question - then what does matter? What matters is not what I do, but how and why I do it, Neale says.

I really felt good when Neale said that art is trying to fill the gap in information about our journey. You see, I'm an artist. That's pretty amazing. It's not amazing that I'm an artist, but that what I consider fun actually has a purpose beyond that. It's not just art, but culture in general that we desperately need to help us fill in the gap.

Neale says we are remembering three things: the purpose, path, and destination.

Two kinds of memory: Mind memory (finite), and Soul memory (infinite) are discussed. Getting the Soul, Mind, and Body going in the same direction is discussed. These are important topics, ones we don't usually stop to think about in the business of our day to day existence.

Some people feel they have taken a long time to "get it". I've spoken to such people. A reply to this very remorse is in this book is the statement by Neale, "going the long way is not the same as going the wrong way". How comforting is that? Thanks, Neale!

The way I understand it, when you get in touch with your Soul, and what it desires, that is what matters. Your soul desires oneness.

The one mind-blowing concept in this book is that the person reading the book actually wrote it. That it is the soul, from within the person reading, that is remembering what the soul knew all along. That the person reading the book called the book forth. And of course this makes sense from a Law of Attraction perspective. However, Neale talks about another law - the Law of Retraction, combined with Gratitude, and this is truly life changing.

Neale talks about suffering, and the reasons for it. He talks about Soul Knowing. This is what you know, deep down. The purpose for suffering is awakening our "compassion, caring, understanding, patience, love, and, most of all, the Unity and Oneness of life". This is very timely in light of recent tragedies. And Neale goes on to address a way for the struggle and suffering to end - to transform the suffering into joy.

Neale also talks about how we choose our emotions, which is good news since when you can choose you have power.

Other things covered in the book are tools we can use:

Recontextualization (a new way of looking at things, and the freedom it brings).
Compassion that helps you move forward on your journey, and the freedom it brings. There is a beautiful and moving poem related to this, in the book.
The freedom that Gratitude and Forgiveness brings. And Neale has a very unique way of looking at Forgiveness.
Meditation. There are meditation instructions in the back of the book.

At the beginning of the book, Neale said your soul has called this book to you, at this time. And he is right. As I am writing this review, I am on the eve of major surgery. This book has been a tremendous comfort to me at this time, and has brought a smile to my face. Neale states "every event is a blessing". Thank you, Neale, from the bottom of my heart. We never know what comfort we bring others in the kind things that we do in our day to day existence, just by having that intention to be kind. A book we write, a word we say, a letter or email.....

There was a video recommended, called SoulLogic, which was just beautiful, which Neale provided the link to. And Neale left us with one final gift, to tie it all together. That is Willingness.

I highly recommend this book, and I will look forward to reading more of Neale's books in the future. I felt like I was sitting with a very compassionate and loving person, talking just to me, as I read his words. I signed up for his daily email on his web site.

FTC Disclosure I received this book free from Hay House Publishing for this review. The opinions expressed in this review are unbiased and reflect my honest judgment of the product.