5.0 out of 5 stars Best Wood Processing Tool on Planet Earth
First, let me just say, that this is not a fighting blade and really is not a machete, either. If I had to give it an aptly descriptive name, it would be SP-8 SURVIVAL TOOL ... In short, you could build a log cabin, with this thing ... a good one !

Here are the tasks it excels at, by order of efficiency.

* SPLITTING LOGS: Using an impact baton (on...
Published on November 12, 2011 by Hard Core Camper

2.0 out of 5 stars limited uses
I have had the Ontario SP8 for about 8 or 10 years and recently pulled it out for another go around. I originally bought it at a gun and knife show because it felt so good in the hand. I was looking for a blade to quickly clear shooting lanes while bowhunting. Up until I purchased this blade, I had been using my old Ka-Bar USMC knife. The Ka-Bar was great except with...
Published on March 25, 2012 by eyedoc

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Wood Processing Tool on Planet Earth, November 12, 2011
This review is from: Ontario SP8 Machete (Black) (Sports)

Here are the tasks it excels at, by order of efficiency.

* SPLITTING LOGS: Using an impact baton (on par with a Cold Steel Trailmaster ).
This blade has the span, the thickness and the height to split logs over 6" in diameter.
Because the stock is so thick (a full quarter inch), you only need to baton half way through ... if that far.
Because the edge is straight and there is no point or belly, it is the strongest "hand axe", period.

* LIMBING: Sheer mass and reach ... Rakes limbs off like whiskers (often with one chop).

* FELLING: Certainly, at least as efficient as ANY hand-axe, hatchet, or hawk ... Long, massive, 1095 edge. Consider that the LONG edge is much safer to use than a hatchet or hand axe, especially when you are fatigued or under stress or if the light is not good or if your footing or position is awkward. I am just saying that you are more likely to connect more consistently (to miss or "glance" less often) because the edge is much longer than a hand-axe. If you DO manage to chip or roll or dull PART OF your edge, you will still have MORE SHARP EDGE, remaining, to work with, until you can repair your edge.

* DRAW BLADE: Will strip bark and shape logs like a dedicated draw-blade.

* "CHISEL": You can use a hammer, mallet, or baton to impact the butt/pommel and shape notches, bowls, joints, etc. The tip is not an actual chisel grind ... it has the same (flat saber primary grind) profile as the main blade.

* PRY-TOOL: Just look at it ! ... You can re-profile the tip any way you like ... as a crow-bar or as a "chisel" (I prefer the factory profile)

* RASP: Contrary to what most users think, the "saw-back" is VERY useful, as a RASP, for shaping joints and notches and removing chips and material, as well as flatting knots, stripping bark or for manufacturing fine tinder-dust, from the dry, inner wood.

* MEAT PROCESSING: Particularly, quartering, hide-fleshing and cutting bone, joints, sinew, chopping and cutting larger steaks & roasts, etc.

* HAMMER: Don't try this, But ... I have used the flat side of the SLAB, as a hammer, to drive stakes. I have used the spine as a lever, to pull stakes out of the ground (I typically do not baby the tip-edge because I do not do much finer timber-shaping work, but your mileage may vary).

WHAT IT DOES NOT DO (well) ?? : Drilling, Jerking, Trail-Breaking, Fighting, Carving, Fillet. You are not going to gut and skin a squirrel, with this tool. It is not a "Bird and Trout" type blade. Sure, the SP-8 will cut cordage and shave feather sticks, etc., if pressed to do so but it is really not intended to take the place of a handy camp-utility blade (let's face it).

I could totally get by with just this blade and my MORA BUSHCRAFT BLACK knife, but a BAHCO LAPLANDER folding Saw (or a SVEN SAW) and a fillet knife are also good to have along.

THE SHEATH, BTW, is VERY robust. I lash this wicked beast to the outside of my pack, by running my top compression strap thru the belt loop and I run a loop of P-cord between the bottom ring and a carabiner, which is clipped to the bottom row of the MOLLE/PALS webbing ... It is secured tightly, is out of the way, and easy to access.

Just do this, while they are still available ! ... Under $60, delivered ?! ... DUDE !!

The handle is perfect and grippy and will NEVER break (like a hatchet).

The One thing I would change about this tool is that I would like for the lanyard hole to be TWICE the size (diameter) because, while a single thickness of 550 paracord will EASILY slide thru the hole, *I* (personally) would prefer to be able to (easily) pass a double-thickness LOOP of p-cord thru this hole, as a temporary wrist-lanyard, for the most "violent" tasks and in colder weather. I have come to appreciate this feature on my TOPS BoB Fieldcraft Knife and I would VERY much welcome a larger lanyard hole on the SP-8. Still ... I can pass a short (single thickness) length of p-cord thru and tie an expedient knot, almost instantly ... so ... not a serious issue.

NOTE: This SP-8 is not "technically" legal to carry in Texas but, since it has no point, and is not a Bowie or a spear or a sword or a dagger or a tomahawk, it really does not fit the description of any "expressly prohibited weapon" and, even though it exceeds our 5.5" blade limit, I have successfully convinced law enforcement officials that this TOOL has no value as a weapon (either for agression or for defense) ... It is a CAMP TOOL ... Period (and a truly world-class camp tool, at WAY less than half the cost of a Cold Steel Trailmaster) ... Hmmm ? My BK-2 does not even come close (cannot compare) to this SP-8, even though it is the same price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good General Purpose Tool, January 6, 2010
This review is from: Ontario SP8 Machete (Black) (Sports)
I got this tool for use with traditional Bow Hunting (Long Bow) to go in my Rucksack as a XMAS gift. I also have the long handled Woodsman's pal. This tool is superior to the historic and excellent Woodsman's Pal. It has a excellent weight and balance to it. My only wish is that the sawback surface is not a cross cut type sawback. My Woodman's Pal is going to became a hand me down to a family menmber who also hunts. THe sheath is also excellent. The sheath is made of steel hardware, treated leather, and ballistic nylon. Shop aroud and you can find this item at somewhat below retail. The OKSP8 can be used as a machete, saw, or axe/hatchet, or crash/rescue tool. As a bonus this item is made in the U.S.A. by American workers. The hard rubber/nylon (Kraton polymer handle) grips are very comfortable, durable and solid. The resin type enamel (epoxy powder coating) finish is non-reflective and very durable. The steel is high quality high carbon 1095 steel. The edge of the tool comes sharpened, but a turn on a Arkansas stone or ceramic V stick would help bring it wonders. Overall you will be very happy with this tool for gardening, brush clearing, general camp use, survival, or as a crash/rescue tool. You will be prowd to own this tool. It should give you years of service. This is an excellent tool at an excellent price even at twice the retail price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for What Ails Yuh, July 31, 2007
What I really wanted was a Becker TacTool, but then Camillus went out of business and I was looking for something similar. This is a good, solid knife with a decent balance between heft and portability. The rubber grip is comfortable and doesn't get too slippery when you're sweating from heat in the Outback or nervous tension in the bathtub.

...maybe I've said too much.

I sharpened this thing with an Accusharp sharpener and it's kept its edge well after I got my agressions out on some heavy brush. It's a pain to sharpen the rounded corner, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best all-around knife-camp tool I have, April 28, 2011
This review is from: Ontario SP8 Machete (Black) (Sports)
So far with this sweet blade I have chopped through brush, chopped down firewood, and killed a rattlesnake. This will not disappoint. If you're looking for a great camp/hunting/survival tool, this is it. It is built solid, heavy, balanced, sharp and convenient. Not too big for regular old campgrounds as to not scare off the liberals here in Cali, but still big and strong enough to get most jobs done. I wouldn't recommend it for a tropical jungle, but for your 48 states United States camping adventures, this thing is where it's at. Every camping trip I go on, I use this thing for something. Also if zombies attack I'm sure you could bash one in really good with it. Just sayin..

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, February 2, 2009
This review is from: Ontario SP8 Machete (Black) (Sports)
This is a great machete, with excellent quality. Has good weight and heft to it. Definitely not a flimsy "knockoff." I bought this and the Ontario LSA to compliment my backpacking and survival kits. Came rather sharp out of the box. Slight touchup to get to my "standard."
Definitely up to the job of getting through even something you may consider large for a machete. Good grip and lanyard to wrap on your wrist.

4.0 out of 5 stars The perfect escape tool, March 18, 2011
Stephen H. Poor (Booneville, Arkansas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ontario SP8 Machete (Black) (Sports)
This knife is quite a chopper! It is heavy, with most of the weight out toward the front. It chops through downed tree branches better than some hatchets I own! It did require a little touch-up on a hone, as it wasn't terribly sharp when I got it. This is one of the only Spec-Plus blades I've seen that won't shave hair off my arm.

There is no "point" on this knife, although the flat end is sharpened. The back has saw teeth, but I'm not sure they'd be terribly effective. I haven't tried them. You can "choke up" on the blade some, as it has a broad finger groove above the hilt for that purpose. The kraton handle helps dampen shock from chopping.

The sheath is a little overly-compicated, but I don't anticipate any trouble carrying this knife. If I needed to be able to deploy it quickly with one hand, I'd definitely replace the sheath though.

The blade is quite thick and, with no point to break off, entirely suitable for prying. The Spec Plus knives are tempered a little soft, so breaking them through chopping or prying is awfully unlikely. Keeping one of these in your car would provide an almost perfect tool for escape in the event of an accident. The back of the blade can be use to break glass, and the front edge would rip through sheet metal and seatbelts like there's no tomorrow. Prying open a stuck door would also be easy. The tool would be extremely useful for urban or wilderness survival too. Every car in the country ought to have one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, durable, versatile and packable!, May 11, 2014
This review is from: Ontario SP8 Machete (Black) (Sports)
Smaller than most machetes. REALLY thick blade that gets the job done others might not, due to being able to let the weight do the work. It's therefore REALLY versatile and can pretty much replace a camp hatchet and is thick enough to split wood but not get caught. Due to it's small size, I can go hiking and pack this in my small 5L Osprey pack as well as a 22oz water bottle and extra compression shirt or light jacket.

Plainly put, this is a BEAST of a tool that's more than a machete and ultra pack-able. I've used this as a wood pallet pry bar - break down for wood, chopping 6 inch cedar logs in half, splitting wood, cutting pineapples (adult beverages), watermelon slicing, and in a crunch it'll even cut through chicken wire and 18g wire. The notching isn't razor sharp but it's not made for being a saw back, just for notching into branches for bushcraft.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHAT A KNIFE!!!!!!!, July 6, 2012
This review is from: Ontario SP8 Machete (Black) (Sports)
WHAT A KNIFE!!!!! Holy SH** this knife is the real deal. The overall length, from the chisel end to the end of the handle 15 inches, the cutting edge is 8 inches and the blade is 1 7/8 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick and its full tang (the blade and handle is 1 solid piece of steel) which is the best quality. It is not stainless steel (its 1095 carbon steel) so you will need take care of the blade when your done with it (when your done with it or when you get back from your weekend trip you should clean it if there is grime on it and oil it, i just wipe the blade with gun oil) The knife alone weighs 1LB 7OZ without the sheath and with the sheath it weighs 1LB 14OZ, this knife is very heavy. the chisel end is not sharp but does have an edge to it and can be sharpened very easily. I left my chisel dull cause i tend to really abuse it so there is no sense in sharpening it. The back of the blade has this saw type of edge except the teeth are not sharp so don't plan and sawing any wood cause you'll saw all day long lol but it works great if you just want to cut a notch into the wood. The sheath it comes with is EEHHHH!! i guess its ok, its part cordura and leather and don't plan on wearing the knife on your belt because the belt loop is only attached with an O-Ring so it will be swinging all over the place when your walking. I suggest you custom order a kydex sheath. AGAIN this knife is very heavy and if your a weight freak then this knife is not for you, otherwise HANDS DOWN THE GREATEST KNIFE EVER!! and its made in america.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old school build, amazing quality, great product., May 26, 2013
This review is from: Ontario SP8 Machete (Black) (Sports)
First, order arrived earlier than expected, the machete was in original packaging in new and unissued condition. For that I commend the seller.
The product itself is VERY robust, and well made. This is a top of the line Machete. I personally am going to use this SP8 instead of a camp axe. It can do everything a camp axe can do. If you do research on your own for this product you will find videos of people using it to chop logs and also for its intended use as a machete. This saves space in the backpack, and now i dont need a cumbersome-awkward-to-pack axe, or a super long machete that is not effective.
The steel and workman ship is top of the line. This product is made in the USA, by Ontario knives, and they make knives for the military. This knife is built to the same quality that a soldier would want. The sheath is built really well, and there is no way this knife will accidentally fall out or rip through it while it is being removed or placed inside of the sheath. It is a mix of leather and strong webbing material.
If you are looking for a camp-axe and machete combo to free up space and have a knife that will last many years - look no farther!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knife, November 15, 2013
This review is from: Ontario SP8 Machete (Black) (Sports)
This is my 2nd SP-8. The first one I bought in 2009 or so, for a survival kit I was building. I wanted an overkill blade for chopping and to baton firewood. It certainly fits the bill.

The only field modification I made was to wrap the handle with paracord, which makes it a bit nicer in my paws. Since I was building another kit, then another SP-8 was required.

I live up in Alaska, so one thing I figured out right away is, you can't afford to have equipment failures. Also, guys carry big knives because they do the job, and don't fail. Not like in the lower 48, where people like to carry big knives because they think it makes them cool or something.

Seriously, if you want a good blade for busting up firewood and making shelters, this is it. I also own an RTAK II, but frankly if I were stuck out, I'd kinda prefer this blade, due to the extra thickness.

Heavier? Yes. But what cost is your butt if you use an inferior blade or tool?

Ontario SP8 Machete (Black)
$96.50 $57.34