5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sequel!
Reviewed on 7/27/12:

Jennifer has done it again, folks.

Jennifer has a way of pulling readers in from the very first word, leaving them completely lost in her words until the very final page. The character development alone in ONYX is utterly fantastic, and the romance isn't too shabby either. ;)

ONYX is everything that a sequel should be...
Published on August 3, 2012 by Nicole's YA Book Haven

2.0 out of 5 stars KATY: The HOW TO on INFURIATING a Reader
First of all I would like to say that I am a big fan of Jennifer A. I loved Obsidian and read it multiple times.

That being said, Onyx, the second book in the Lux Series was overwhelmingly painful to read. P-A-I-N-F-U-L! The number one reason, Katy.

Published 21 months ago by elle b.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sequel!, August 3, 2012
Reviewed on 7/27/12:

Jennifer has done it again, folks.

ONYX is everything that a sequel should be. In fact, for me, ONYX is even better than OBSIDIAN.

I adore Armentrout's Covenant series, I do, but the LUX series may just be my favorite out of the two. Alex is a kickass heroine, yes, but Katy? She's tough in OBSIDIAN, but Katy in ONYX? Everything that she goes through in this novel forces her to fight for the things that she cares about, and boy, does she fight.

Since I could go on all day about this one, I'm going to highlight what I think needs to be discussed:

Let's start by going back to SHADOWS, shall we? I know that some readers prefer to skip over novellas that are released in between the next series installment, and I can understand why. Some of the novellas can be filler material (when I say some, I do mean some - most of them do actually move a series along). But if you're planning on skipping SHADOWS and jumping right into ONYX? I'm going to have to suggest you reconsider. Yes, we hear about Bethany and Dawson in OBSIDIAN, but when I say that it is vital that you read SHADOWS, I do mean it is vital.

Now that we've got that covered:

Daemon Black: In ONYX, we see an entirely different side to Daemon, and I do mean an entirely different side. Yes, he's still sarcastic, and at times, he can be a jerk. But in ONYX, we get to meet the softer side of Daemon, the side that discusses feelings, and actually makes it a point to showcase his emotions. In OBSIDIAN, there's a blossoming romance between Daemon and Katy, but in ONYX, it finally develops into something more. (Fangirl translation: OMGgjidhgkdhkhYEShghkhgfkhfgkYAYfkhkgh).

The new guy: I'm not going to go into much detail here, as I don't want to ruin anything. I will just say this: within the first few pages of his character being introduced, you'll develop a certain feeling towards him, and chances are that you'll be right.

The action: Oh, hello there, action! There is so much that goes on in ONYX. It is undeniably a darker story than OBSIDIAN is. There's a ton of action, but it isn't overdone. Jennifer manages to balance it well, never overdoing it or throwing it in just because. The only downside to the action scenes is just how emotional there are; I don't think I've ever screamed at a book so much (my emotions were all over the damn place during the action scenes).

Katy: As I've already stated, Katy grows throughout this story. The girl at the end of ONYX is a far cry from the girl at the beginning of ONYX.

The ending: Holy. Smokes. Did that actually just happen? Seriously?! And now I need to wait for the next book? You're killing me, Jenn. You're killing me, but it's okay.

I love where Jennifer is taking this series. The ending of ONYX will leaving you desperate for the next book, yes, but it doesn't end on a terrible cliffhanger (thank you for that one). It'll be interesting to see what happens next with Daemon and Katy, and well, with a certain character back in the picture.

If you haven't done so yet, I'd suggest pre-ordering ONYX, and while you're at it, you should plan on skipping work (or canceling whatever plans you have on the release day), because once you start reading this one, you're not going to be able to put it down.

2.0 out of 5 stars KATY: The HOW TO on INFURIATING a Reader, December 12, 2012

Katy did nothing but blunder through one bad decision after another. At times she would acknowledge that she was in fact doing something dumb yet she continued to do those stupid things anyway. What happened to the seemingly intelligent girl from book one? Gone. Katy acted completely stupid throughout the book, trusting all the wrong people and not trusting all the right ones. Katy would ignore her own instincts and repeatedly put herself (and on occasion others) in dangerous situations. You would think that after suffering painful consequences from blindly trusting the wrong person Katy would learn from it and question the trustworthiness of the those around her. Nope. Yet again she ignored her initial instincts and trusted the wrong person, so of course more bad things happened.
One of my biggest pet peeves is a heroine that repeated makes stupid decisions and doesn't learn from mistakes. Sadly, this is the embodiment of Katy in this book. She was completely infuriating.

I wanted to love this book like I loved the first book but that definitely didn't happen. A slightly redeeming quality of the book was Daemon and a few of the Daemon scenes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it so hard, August 9, 2012
This review is from: Onyx (Lux) (Paperback)
Holy chocolate chip cookies. This book was hot and I could not put it down. Jennifer did not disappoint in this sequel to Obsidian. It is just as action packed loaded with humor, sarcasm, plot twists and our favorite book blogging heroine Katy.
It is pretty much leave me alone, I'm reading, or Oh is it seriously 3am? kinda book where the world seems to fall away and I get to experience what Katy is feeling and almost feel like I am a part of this world of smoking hot aliens, dept of defense peeps around every corner, and trying to figure out certain boys who shall not be named.
It is so hard to review this without talking about what happened, but let me try. There are so many conflicts going on, I just want for the characters I love to be happy, but I guess what kind of series would it be then? There is conflict with Dee, not only with Adam and what their relationship should be, but also between Dee and Katy. Katy makes some bad decisions, and I just want to smack some sense into her (and so does Daemon for that matter), but I totally understand her motivations behind each of those decisions. And that makes her still a strong and determined main character that I admire. But anyways, one of her bad decisions eats up pretty much all of her time, and leaves some feelings between her and Dee.
There is also the DOD peeps, and several other new characters that I had absolutely no idea what to think of. They can seem so harmless and good intentions one second, and then the next I am questioning them and wondering if I am paranoid.
The drama between Katy and Daemon is so thick you can cut it with a knife. And I love every second of it. Their bickering, his pen pokes, the sexy moments and the whispered endearments and declarations. I ate it up. It kept me turning the pages just looking for another scene between them, and then left at the very end yearning, wishing the next book was in my hands.
And mother of all cliffhangers, really? December can't come fast enough so I know what happens, if revenge is sought, and what exactly they meant about everything changing with mystery character rescued that shall not be named.
Jennifer is an amazing author, and I love this series, as well as the Covenant series, and just like I know I will probably love everything she writes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swoon-worthy!, August 2, 2012
This review is from: Onyx (Lux) (Paperback)
I didn't think it was possible for Jennifer L. Armentrout to write a book that was more swoon-worthy than Obsidian. It is one of my favorite books I've read so far this year (see my review here). But, clearly, she was up to the challenge set forth by legions of Daemon fans, because, OMG, Onyx isn't just as good, it makes Obsidian look pale and bland in comparison!

Onyx opens exactly where we left off in Obsidian: Katy is feeling the effects of the mega-healing Daemon did to her, and the bond that formed between them as a result. Daemon's hot-cold fluctuations are in full-force hot mode, and I dare anyone to not fall in love with this new sweeter man. Katy does her best to resist, sure that what Daemon is not real, and that he's blinded by the power of their connection. I loved watching Daemon do his best to convince her otherwise!

And while he's trying to do that, a new complication enters: Blake. New boy to town, who instantly bonds with Katy because she can relate all too well to being the new kid. She's torn between what she feels (but trying not to feel) for Daemon and the desire to have a relationship with someone "normal."

All that love-triangle, teenage drama would have made Onyx a wonderful romance novel all by itself, but we haven't even gotten to the really good stuff! We knew the Arum wouldn't be gone for long, but there's a second threat to the Luxen and their human friends: the Department of Defense has arrived. And the ensuing conflict and action is intense. So intense, I read the last 200 pages straight through, staying up half the night to finish!

I don't think I could love this book any more. I just cannot wait to see what Ms. Armentrout has in store for book three!

Onyx: 5/5 BIG Stars

2.0 out of 5 stars Did I just read the sequel to Obsidian? Or it this a parallel universe?, August 19, 2012
------------------------------------------Spoiler Alert--------------------------------------------------------------
I was really looking forward to this book after having read "Obsidian" and "Shadows". I really thought it was going to be EPIC. Turned out I was right!!! It was and EPIC FAIL!!!
First of all... Who is this girl that Katy has become? Katy transformed from a smart, witty heroin into a blubbering idiot with just terrible decision making abilities! I was looking forward to J.A building on the whole alien thing, but she only built on how "hot" Daemon looked with every page turn. J. Armentrout created a nightmare Katy. She was indecisive and stupid. She just would not let go of the past, which I found childish. She kept saying the same thing over and over again and having the same argument with Daemon. And she suddenly reminded me of Bella from Twilight.
Second, the plot was great, but the character Katy had become and the decisions she was making, combined with J.A focusing primarily (in fact just too much) on Katy's and Daemon's hot-cold relation really took a lot away from the building of the plot. Katy's thoughts of loving Daemon and wanting to protect him completely overshadowed the actual "battle scene" at Katy's house (Blake and the DOD vs. the Luxen). I could hardly follow the battle. And then when Katy was taken... it was just as ridiculous! On Katy's and Daemon's way to get Dawson, I just didn't feel that sense of urgency! It was like the ride there was just so relaxing!! They were holding hands, and wasting too much time talking when they were already running out of time. They argued about Katy accompanying Daemon, and when they got there, they argued about Katy going inside. And then they just literally walked in and then walked out. When I say that, I'm not saying that there should have been some obstacles, I'm just saying that I would have liked to have been more informed rather than reading "And then we left and drove home". okay... just like that?
Oh, I got ahead of myself. Back to Katy being an idiot... Blake is the nephew of a DOD member, he threw a knife at you and left you to battle an Arum... You're still not sure about his loyalties?? I'm sorry J.A but that goes beyond fiction. No one is that dumb!
Third, since the author was obviously over consumed with the love story... Why didn't Katy ad Daemon have sex? Really!! Why? Everything had gone to hell! They KNEW, according to Katy, they KNEW that the time they had left before the DOD stormed them, or worse, was limited. Why not make the most of it? Why would they want to do the whole dating thing before consummating their love? It makes no sense! But this just goes back to Armentrout creating moments that do not fit with the scene she describes... When a moment is intense and urgent, we find the characters making time for manners and formalities and kissing. I didn't get it.
Finally, at the risk of being redundant, it was a good story, it was just horribly told. If you like petty romances that are passed off as true love, then you'll love this. Unfortunately, I did not.

2.0 out of 5 stars WTF? Katy is Too Stupid To Live! SOOOO disappointed., July 3, 2013
I LOVED the first Lux novel, Obsidian, and devoured it in a night. I even give it 5 stars. and I loved the second novella and could not wait to start Onyx. But I have been let down in a major way by the heroine. She was TSTL to the point that she pretty much is responsible for several deaths -- and not bad guy deaths. Friend and classmate deaths. And we're supposed to forgive her for this? To still like her? It was hard to read this, as she made one stupid decision after another, despite SO many obvious clues that what she was doing was just STUPID. Despite her KNOWING what she was doing was ridiculously foolish. Like when she up and goes to Vaughn's house ALONE after railing at Daemon not to go there-- after nearly being raped and killed at that house a few nights before ( and that was because she stupidly got out of the car and tried to go into the house when Daemon had expressly told her not to, which resulted in her attack and Daemon having to come to her rescue and kill the two guards-- all because Daemon didn't answer her text in a timely fashion. DUMB.). I could go on and on, listing all the stupid crap she does that causes so many dreadful problems for everyone. But that would pretty much be every scene in the book.

SURELY the author could have come up with a better way of driving the plot forward without making the heroine look like such a fool. I can't think of another heroine that has disappointed me more. Even Bella Swan in Twilight wasn't such an idiot! I liked Katy SO much in Obsidian, so this book was a real downer. Even her treatment of Daemon, who consistently bears his heart to her in this book, and who provides her with legitimate reasons for his cold behavior when they first met (i.e. his brother's MURDER, for heaven's sake), was a let down. She really treats him shabbily throughout the book and doesn't listen to all of the ACCURATE warnings he gives her. Apparently, his saving her life at the end of Obsidian, and the thoughts she hears in his head conveying how much she means to him -- not to mention that kiss-- were not enough for this girl.

"You should have trusted me," he said at the end of this book. Yeah. She should have done that, for starters. And using her brain wouldn't have hurt either. The only reason I didn't give this a one star was because of Daemon. His hotness alone is at least worth one star, though I wonder how he could stand Katy after all the crap she puts him through in this book. I know I couldn't bear her by the end. I don't think I even want to read the next book. That's how horrible a taste this one left in my mouth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very irritating, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Onyx (Lux) (Paperback)
God awful book for Katy's character. Could she be more wrong the whole way through ? She spent so much time not bothering to update key people around her about very important developments that she seemed retarded!! Honestly, I felt a strong need to slap her.

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to my supernatural expectations, August 17, 2012
_______________________________________________

Contains spoilers of first book 'Obsidian'
_______________________________________________

Katy's universe was turned upside down the moment she met her next-door-neighbour, Daemon Black and became friends with his twin sister, Dee. Katy was already undergoing enough change in her life, what with her father dying recently and her mum moving them from Florida to West Virginia. But then Katy met the Black siblings and not only was her universe turned upside down, it also got a whole lot bigger . . . because Katy uncovered the truth about Daemon and Dee, and most of the inhumanly beautiful residents of her sleepy new town. Katy discovered that many of the people populating this quiet, Podunk town are in fact aliens. Not only that, they're aliens in the middle of an intergalactic game of cat and mouse against a villainous race called the Arum, not to mention they're also under close surveillance by the Department of Defense (DOD) who may or may not be so interested in them for military gains.

Katy has become doubly embroiled in this alien mess, after she and Daemon formed a special, visceral bond that lets her feel where he is at all times, and start to develop a few inhumanly interesting abilities of her own. . .

`Onyx' is the second book in Jennifer L. Armentrout's young adult paranormal romance series, `Lux'.

I read the first book in Armentrout's new series, `Obsidian', back in May this year and loved it. It was a deliciously over-the-top YA paranormal romance with a different flavour of supernatural that really hooked me and had me excited for this new `Lux' series. So I went into `Onyx' with very high hopes for a similar thrill-ride read.

This second book picks up immediately where `Obsidian' left off. After facing-off against an Arum attack and saving his life, Katy has formed an odd and physical connection with Daemon Black. This connection is unnerving for a few reasons - partly due to Daemon running hot and cold with Katy, who is distraught at her own influx feelings for him. Secondly, the connection seems to be having some very strange, alien side-effects on Katy. But while Katy and Daemon try to find their footing in the wake of this strange bond, a new boy called Blake arrives at school to throw yet another spanner in the works - when he shows a keen attraction to Katy, but also seems to have a few too many coincidences surrounding his arrival in town, right when the DOD also make an appearance.

I've got to admit; this second book hit a few potholes for me and didn't live up to expectation (much as I hate to admit it!). To begin with, I didn't really like Katy and found her to be a very different heroine than the one I met in `Obsidian'. In that first book I praised Katy for not turning into a puddle before Daemon Black's God-like good looks and jerk-face behaviour. I loved that Katy was a girl not to be trampled, and she really held her own and enjoyed sparring with Daemon and not letting him get too full of himself. The Katy in `Onyx' seemed to be a changed woman, not necessarily for the better. Remembering that Katy is also a book blogger and reviewer (with a particular love for all things urban fantasy/paranormal) I found a few of her missteps in `Onyx' to be a little befuddling. There were just a few times when she did just plain stupid things where the DOD and Blake were concerned, and I thought she was a smarter heroine than that. But it was more in her interactions with Daemon that she let me down - there were just so many times when I thought she was making more relationship drama than was necessary. A lot of this book seemed to be a back-and-forth for Katy where she was one moment thinking "I love Daemon. But I can't tell him" to "I've ruined everything with Daemon. I don't know what to say to him". I thought she was quite a witty, articulate girl in `Obsidian' - so there were a few instances where she let me down and I missed her smart repartee with Daemon.

I also felt like `Onyx' was a lot lighter on plot than `Obsidian' was. Admittedly, the first book of any paranormal/urban fantasy series is usually the one with the most going on - because all the supernatural aspects have mystery surrounding them, followed by clues and then a big reveal. `Onyx' was very much focused on the Katy/Daemon merry-go-round, and a rock-solid plot with the DOD didn't really become apparent until late in the second-half. Admittedly, there's a great set-up for the third book established by `Onyx's' end, but for me there was a lot of this book that just felt like high-school relationship drama and didn't live up to my supernatural expectations. And because this was so much the `Katy & Daemon Show', other characters who I'd come to really like in `Obsidian' were given little page-time and no further development - like Dee and mean-girl (and Daemon's ex) Ash. I wish Armentrout had included more of the alien characters in this book, to get an idea of their community and for Katy to interact with them more.

Armentrout obviously knew she was on to a winner with the Katy/Daemon relationship, so `Onyx' is really only about them, them, them. I suppose a lot of readers will be thrilled with this, but for me I thought Armentrout's alien race (a great change of pace from the usual werewolves/vampires/angels in the supernatural genre at the moment) was one of the reasons that `Lux' piqued my interest in the first place, so I was disappointed not to have more of a focus on the world-building in `Onyx'. But, again, towards the end of the novel I felt like Katy and Daemon's relationship woes converged with the wider DOD/alien arc, and became far more interesting for it.

Look, I still enjoyed `Onyx' and was eager to get to the end of the book to know what happens. And, credit where credit's due, Armentrout gets bonus points for a great Buffy reference (bonus, because it was the original 1992 movie with Donald Sutherland she made a point of referencing. Nice.) But for me, this book had too much romance and not enough paranormal - some people will love that fact, but I felt like it meant plot fell by the wayside and Armentrout's wonderful world-building and supernatural build-up in `Obsidian' deflated a bit in `Onyx'. There is a great set-up for the third book that ensures I'll be returning to the series in December, but `Onyx' was a small disappointment for me.

2.5/5

1.0 out of 5 stars I am so over the "he's so hot" stuff., February 17, 2013
Book 3 in the series and I could barely get through it. In book 2, it took Daemon 3 hours to rescue Katy from the bad guys, but we're supposed to believe that Katy and Daemon were able to convince Dawson to wait 3 months to rescue Bethany. In all that time, there's a whole lot of "he's so hot" and "I'm so ready" with interruptions, while they're all supposed to be "training" for Bethany's rescue. I wanted to gag!

I don't like Katy, in fact, I'm kind of glad the book has left her where she is in the cliff hanger. I hope she stays there. Unfortunately, there's another book planned for a spring release and we'll probably hear more about how "tough" she is and how she's not one of those girl's who needs to be taken care of. Just stay home next time, Katy, like your smart and capable boyfriend told you, instead of being the reason for even more trouble for this family.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just for Daemon, September 11, 2012
After being totally in love with Daemon in Obsidian, when Onyx was released what else could I do? Get my hands on this new book as soon as possible, of course.

As everything highly anticipated, it left me a slightly bitter taste. In the first half of the book nothing happens! They flirt, they make out, they think about make out, they burn another computer... honestly it becomes tiresome.

A new boy arrives in an attempt to create a love triangle - which is not possible because, honestly, we're talking about Daemon and if someone is "the atomic bomb of boyfriends"is DAEMON not even Jace.

Why I still love The Lux Series?. Well there is Daemon! and - if needed another reason - after the first half of the book, the plot goes into endless action, a roller coaster .... you think it's all over, but there's more, until it leave you exhausted, in a good way.

Onyx (Lux)
Onyx (Lux) by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Paperback - August 14, 2012)
$9.99 $8.99