- Brand Name: ooma
- Model Number: ooma core
- Hardware Platform: PC
- Form Factor: External
- Connectivity Technology: Wired
Ooma Core VoIP Phone System
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Includes both an Ooma Hub and an Ooma Scout
- Free calling to any number in the US
- All the features you've come to depend on, like caller-ID, call-waiting, and voicemail
- Voicemail notifications to your email and mobile phone; the flexibility to hear your voicemail and control preferences online in the Ooma Lounge
- The freedom to talk on your existing corded or cordless phones with no PC or headset required
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
From the Manufacturer
|Ooma is an award-winning product that gives you free home phone service. Quite simply, no more nickel and dime fees and no more monthly phone bills. Acclaimed by The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and Business Week, and featured as one of the year's hottest products in Parade and In Style magazines, Ooma offers premium home phone service as it was meant to be.|
OverviewYour one-time purchase of the Ooma system delivers:
FeaturesSmart and stylish, the Ooma Hub and Ooma Scout partner with your high-speed Internet and your existing home phones to deliver free home phone service. Your one-time purchase eliminates monthly bills for U.S. calling and delivers extremely low rates for international calls. You'll also get bundled features at no extra charge. Click below for a full list of what is included with your purchase of an Ooma system.
Free U.S. calling
Exceptional voice quality
The Ooma system has been architected to deliver exceptional voice quality and reliability, giving you the crisp, acoustic performance of a landline, without the associated monthly charges. According to our customers, Ooma offers “excellent voice quality,” “better than landline.”
Online Ooma Lounge
Low-cost international calling
We've got your number
Want something new? When you purchase an Ooma system, you can choose a new number in any calling area in the US. Want to keep your phone number? Ooma gives you the option to transfer your number from your current phone provider. Just pay a one-time porting charge of $39.99, or enjoy complimentary number porting with an annual subscription to Ooma Premier ($99.99).
Flexibility to keep a landline
Ooma gives you the flexibility to integrate a low-cost landline as a backup. This means you can keep your current phone number and enjoy the assurance of traditional 911 service and seamless coverage during Internet and power outages.
Discover Ooma Premier
Want more? Try our enhanced calling features with your free 60-day trial of Ooma Premier. Enrich your home phone experience with features designed to help you:
- Block telemarketers
- Save serious cash
- Stay connected on the go
- Setup a home office
- Keep the peace
Transfer your number
Want to keep your phone number? Ooma will transfer your number from your current phone provider for free with an annual subscription to Ooma Premier ($39.99 value).
Instant Second Line
Images show the Ooma Scout.
Click here to learn more about it.
Send to Voicemail
Do Not Disturb
Images show the Ooma Scout.
Click here to learn more about it.
How Do We Compare?
Other phone companies nickel and dime you for local toll calls and long-distance, layering on mysterious fees, taxes, and surcharges for stuff you don't need. They bill you extra each month for caller-ID, call-waiting, and voicemail; features we, at Ooma, believe are fundamental to your U.S. calling rights.
Your one-time purchase of an award-winning Ooma system gives you free home phone service. You'll get the voice quality and ease of a traditional landline. That's because we've architected the Ooma system to partner with your existing home phones and high-speed Internet to deliver state-of-the-art calling without monthly bills.
There are no special handsets. No tricky calling codes to enter. No need to log onto a computer. Just pick up a phone and dial. It's that easy.
And for those who demand more, you'll get a 60-day free trial of Ooma Premier, so you can test-drive all of Ooma's innovative features, like multi-ring, personal numbers and private voicemail for each member of your home, with lots more on the way.
So if monthly bills are weighing you down, the answer is simple. Break free with Ooma.
- High-speed fixed-line Internet connection (cable, DSL, fiber-optic)
- 256 Kbps upstream network speed (384 Kbps recommended)
- Corded or cordless home phone
- Intended for residential use only
Ooma Core (no monthly fee required)
- Free US calling: Call anyone, anytime, anywhere in the U.S.
- Phone number flexibility: Choose a new number anywhere in the U.S. or transfer an existing number for a one-time charge
- Caller-ID: See the name and number of who is calling (caller-ID compatible phone required)
- Call-waiting: Switch to a new incoming call when you are already on the line
- Call-waiting caller-ID: See the name and number of a new incoming call before you switch over
- Voicemail: Access your messages remotely from any phone or web browser
- Voicemail notifications: Receive notifications via email or text when incoming messages arrive
- Broadband Answering Machine: Listen to messages hands-free with the built-in speaker
- Ooma Lounge: Hear messages and control your preferences online
- Call logs: Check your calling history online; filter and sort to find the call you are looking for
- Enhanced 911: Emergency personnel are automatically given your registered address when you dial 911 (subject to availability)
- Free in-network calling: Call another Ooma customer anywhere in the world for free
- Outbound caller name: Have your name show up when you call out (other party must have caller-ID with name feature)
- Caller-ID blocking: Use *67/*82 to block or display your caller-ID/name for outgoing calls
- Anonymous call blocking: Automatically block anonymous calls from ringing your phone
- Call return: Return the last incoming call by dialing *69
- Landline backup: Automatic fallback during power/Internet outages or 911 calls (requires basic landline to be plugged-in)
- Prepaid international calling: Make low-cost international calls starting at only a penny per minute
- Directory assistance: Make 411 calls at $0.99 per call
- Warranty: One-year limited warranty
Ooma Premier (optional: $9.99/month or $119.99/year)
- Free number porting: Transfer an existing number for free with an annual subscription to Ooma Premier
- Personal blacklist: Blacklist unwanted callers to prevent them from being able to reach you
- Community blacklist: Harness the power of the Ooma community to block unwanted callers before they've tried to call you
- Call forwarding: Forward your calls to your mobile phone when you are away from home
- Multi-Ring: Simultaneously ring your Ooma number and your mobile phone, or any number you choose
- Message screening: Screen your calls by listening in as a caller is leaving their message
- Voicemail forwarding: Have your voicemail automatically forwarded to email
- Instant Second Line: Make a second call even when someone else is on the phone (requires Ooma Scout)
- Enhanced call-waiting: Answer an incoming call even when someone else is on the phone (requires Ooma Scout)
- Three-way conferencing: Conference two lines together at a push of a button
- Send to Voicemail: Transfer a call to voicemail at a touch of a button
- Do Not Disturb: Transfer all incoming calls directly to voicemail at a touch of a button
- Personal numbers: Select additional phone numbers in any calling area in the US
- Directed ringing: Configure your personal number to only ring on your private extension (requires Ooma Scout)
- Private voicemail: Create private voicemail and Lounge accounts dedicated to a personal number (requires Ooma Scout)
- Distinctive ringing: Control the ring pattern based on a personal number
|Dimensions||7.5"W x 6"D x 2.25"H (187 x 150 x 55mm)|
|Weight||19.7 ounces (550g)|
|I/O Ports||One 10/100 Ethernet LAN port, one 10/100 Ethernet WAN port, one RJ-11 port (phone), one RJ-11 (wall)|
|Power||12 VDC, 1A|
|Package Contents||Ooma Hub device, Ethernet cable, phone cable (2), phone splitter, AC adaptor, Quick Start Guide, User Guide|
|Dimensions||4"W x 3.25"D x 1.5"H (100 x 82.5 x 38mm)|
|Weight||6.7 ounces (190g)|
|I/O Ports||one RJ-11 port (phone), one RJ-11 (wall)|
|Power||5 VDC, 2A|
|Package Contents||Ooma Scout device, phone cable, AC adaptor|
Top Customer Reviews
The Ooma hardware is well designed, with thoughtful touches like a built in speaker for listening to voicemail and a brightness control so that you can turn down the brightness of the unit in a bedroom. The hardware comes wonderfully packaged like a product from Apple and includes just about any of the cords you might need to get everything connected with your existing service.
Setup was quite easy. You have to get online and activate the Ooma Hub unit by entering the MAC address on the bottom of the unit and telling Ooma what kind of service setup you are doing, such as whether you will use Ooma with an existing line, get a new phone number, etc. They don't even need your credit card and you are activated.
If you are getting a new phone number then you are essentially done at this point. You get a new phone number to use, and you connect the Ooma hub to your home network. Ooma recommends you put the Ooma hub between your Cable or DSL modem and your home router (if you have one). The reason for this is that it allows the Ooma unit to manage your outbound internet traffic and make sure your phone calls are optimized ahead of other traffic, so that phone calls always have priority, sound good and work properly.
If you have a more sophisticated home network router than can do traffic shaping, recognition of IP audio, etc (some of the top of the line D-Link models have these "QoS" features built in) then you can simply plug the Ooma hub into such a router and get good results.Read more ›
QUICK NOTE: Jason M. Page has a great review above my review...you should read it also.
We dropped DSL and moved OOMA's to Cable Modem Service...
I bought an OOMA about 8+ months ago with one scout (added a 2nd system later on). Here is our setup.
1. NO LANDLINE required.
2. Using with Cable Broadband on Comcast.
3. Two OOMA Hubs (personal and business) and 2 OOMA Scouts.
4. 2 x 2 Line Panasonic Cordless system to use dual line capabilities.
5. Wired into home wiring so as to avoid unsightly clutter of hardware.
FIRST SYSTEM (Personal Use):
The OOMA hub is plugged in to our Apple Extreme Basetation, out of sight out of mind. Gave the OOMA internet access through the router and voila...phone service is live. NO land line is required. I know OOMA says you can use your existing land line, but it is not a necessity to use this system. They will issue you a new number or port your number over if you do not have or want a land line.
We took line one of the OOMA hub (marked home) and wired it into our home wiring (line 1 - our home is wired for 2 lines)....again very easy and no problem - the phones in the house starting working at once.
Challenge - we have a 2line phone system - so how can you use OOMA with a two line system and use the 2 line features of OOMA.
Since line one was wired and working we needed to get line 2 wired. I took the line 2 out of the ooma hub (marked WALL), wired into home wiring (line 2 jack in the basement), and used the ooma scout to complete the phone line network this system creates.
Line one was already going into the panasonic, so the scout now allowed us to plug in line 2.Read more ›
We have cable high speed internet service with fast but not the greatest speeds, speed tested at 350-380 Kbps upload and 9850 Kbps download (checked at numerous speed test sites). My biggest concern was the ability to use our other connected products with the phone as well. I know the Ooma regulates the download and upload speeds to preserve the sound quality, but would it limit us too much? We have a PS3 , Wii , Netflix (watch instantly) , and cable phone service (soon to be removed) over and above the Ooma. Let me tell you we just hooked the Ooma up as suggested between our router and the cable modem and all is excellent. The hook up has been documented in other reviews so I wont go into great detail here, but it was very straight forward and quick. We were up and running in less than 20 minutes including activation online.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This product seems to good to be true, but it's true! Buy the equipment and get a permanent landline phone through your computer with no bills. We've been using it since 2009. Read morePublished 12 days ago by AdamG
Crystal clear sound and very reliable service. I recommended this to friends and family and they saved $$$$$. Read morePublished 23 days ago by power user
its 2015 and this product is still going strong, the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because you cant fax over it.Published 1 month ago by Tammythj
I purchased this system 4-6 years ago and it is still working great, and hasn't cost me a penny since the initial purchase price of the equipment!Published 3 months ago by Super J
I bought this over 5 years ago and it still works like a charm. I was grandfathered into not having to pay any fees or taxes on VOIP and continue to enjoy the benefits of free... Read morePublished 4 months ago by Boguslawa Z Moskal