4,413 Reviews
 (3,066)

1,110 of 1,156 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent design, service and value
We purchased an Ooma Hub & Scout in April 2009 to replace a Vonage VoIP connection. We are very satisfied with the hub, and therefore purchased an Ooma Telo for a second location. This review describes our Ooma Telo experience so far, and compares it to the Hub/Scout.

The Telo is well designed and sleek. The controls are touch controls and very sensitive...
Published on October 15, 2009 by Ashok Aiyar

1,480 of 1,613 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware ------ of uninformed reviewers! Update: 1 year later
February 11th, 2011 -- update:

It's been a little over a year since I wrote this review. Approximately 6 months after installing the Telo, I wrote an update that outlined an issue that diminished my initial enthusiasm about it. That update concerned an annoying delay that we experience, likening some conversations to that heard with 2-way radios, where it's...
Published on December 29, 2009 by Anonymous by Necessity

‹ Previous | 1183 184 185442 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A few days with ooma and I'm impressed! - UPDATE, February 5, 2010
M. Gold (Long Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service (Personal Computers)
I've had Vonage for 3 years now and decided to try ooma with Amazon's good price + the $40 gift certificate. I opened the package and the ooma is definitely an attractive unit. The slick black box with "touch" buttons and glowing blue looks great when powered on. So setup was simple, especially for Vonage users, because it is identical - internet modem - ooma - wireless router. Once set up, I logged on the Web site and within minutes I was making calls.

The Web interface is easy to use and there isn't a whole lot of configuration needed to be up and running. I do have to say the calls have been crystal clear and connect quickly. Sometimes with Vonage, I heard an echo on the line, but no echo with ooma. I do like that the ooma box acts like an answering machine where I can screen calls and listen to voicemail messages directly, or via the phone.

The bottom line is that so far I am really impressed. Easy setup, clear calls and no monthly bills!!

UPDATE-
so I ported my number to ooma from Vonage and no problems at all. Actually, I am impressed with ooma's communication to me about everything. They were very clear about the time it would take, their estimates were spot on and the day it happened everything was seamless - ooma sent an email saying its complete, Vonage sent an email canceling my account. All in all it took a few weeks but that's okay.

Calls continue to be clear and quick to connect.

I would most definitely recommend ooma to my friends and family based on my experiences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product!, February 5, 2010
Tim O'BOYLE (NorCal, Humboldt) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service (Personal Computers)
I have been using the Ooma for about a year and three months now. I am VERY happy with it. It replaced two telephone lines costing at least $60 per month so it has more than payed for itself. The sound quality is excellent.

I have totally disconnected the incoming telephone line from the house (very important) so that I could plug the Ooma into an existing telphone jack and have Ooma telephone service throughout the house ... upstairs, downstairs, in all of the bedrooms ... just like I always did.

My only real problem with the Ooma so far is that I've had several PG&E power interuptions after which the Ooma wouild be flashing red (not connected).

I found by trial and error that to restore the connection I had to disconnect and reconnect my Ooma and modem in a PARTICULAR order:

1. Unplug Ooma, Modem, and Router
2. Unplug Internet Cables from Ooma
3. Power up Ooma
4. Power up Modem
5. Plug in Ooma Internet Cables
6. Power up Router

This routine may, in fact, be far more than is necessary ... but it works ... so that is what I've been doing.

BELOW IS MY ORIGINAL REVIEW:
___________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________
I have been using the Ooma for about two months now. It was fairly easy to set up. The sound quality is good. I switched over to cable internet from DSL and quit my landline telephone service - This thing will pay for itself in no time. Also, I can now afford to call a friend of mine who is working in South Korea as the international rates are affordable (By the way, if you are overseas and have high speed internet, an Ooma would let you call the U.S. for free!).

I guess that there is an answering system available through Ooma ... but I just plugged my combination cordless telephone/answering machine into the Ooma and use that ... just like I always did. That is what is nice about the Ooma ... the phone system is just like it always was ... but without the phone bill. Caller I.D. is good, and it is nice to have a "call log" on "My Ooma".

5.0 out of 5 stars Ooma...it's the best!, February 3, 2010
UPDATE 6/2011
Owned this unit for over a year, and still as happy as ever! I paid my whopping $11.75 for my fees to begin year two! It is so worth the upfront cost and annual fee. You will not be disappointed with the Ooma Telo!

Setup took 5 minutes. Updates took 20 minutes at initial power up. Works great. I haven't experienced any problems (just set it up today). I called tech support with a question about porting my number. My call was answered in less than 5 minutes by a friendly voice from far away. She answered my question quickly and asked if I needed anything else. I was impressed with the experience. I will change the household wires this weekend to feed all of the phones in the house, and it should be pretty straight forward. Very impressed with this item, much better than a magic jack. No computer needs to be on 24/7 (rather green!). I wish I bought one sooner, and the Amazon price is the best I've seen.

UPDATE: It's been several weeks, I now feed the signal to all of my jacks (used the extra pair of wires to feed the signal) works great! Kept my DSL, dumped the dialtone (DSL cost is $34.99/mo after promotion as a dry loop). I am very impressed with the product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally- an acceptable landline replacement, January 23, 2010
This review is from: Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service (Personal Computers)
I have tried other VOIP solutions in the past, but none of them had the voice quality to make me comfortable with dropping my traditional POTS landline. After going to CES and peppering their engineering VP with a lot of questions regarding their required bandwidth, compression, QOS engine, etc, I felt they knew what they were doing. They even encouraged me to buy their box from a retailer like Amazon or Costco, and just return it if I was not completely satisfied. I started the service with a new phone number and held off on porting my landline number in case the quality was not good enough. After 3 weeks, all my usage has determined that the quality is indistinguishable from my landline- I have tried doing heavy uploads and stressing my broadband while using Ooma to see if I could get the call quality to suffer, but to no avail. I've now started the porting process for my landline number, and am looking forward to the day when I cancel my landline service after the port is done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it should, January 23, 2010
This review is from: Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service (Personal Computers)
Makes perfect quality calls. Buying this was part of my plan to ditch my cell phone (w/ contract) ... now, i will just carry a mobile for music and emergency calls. I don't anyway answer calls from my cell phone when in office. Makes no sense to carry a phone where you pay up 50 bucks a month.
I had heard of Ooma for a while but was waiting for the price to drop on the Telo. It sure did. Just in time, to 200 (plus $50 gift card from Amazon). I have been using it for a while to call my mom and my friends ,,, works like a charm. In CES 2010, they announced that they are adding more features to the Telo. Hope it will be free. I don't see a point in paying for Premier service when all I actually want is already there (and more).
Remember, the first time it boots up, it will download and update the firmware. This is where I've heard things haven't worked as well for a few people. But for me, it works like a normal phone. Nothing special (except not having to pay a heck of a lot) but nothing bad either. 5 Stars to both Ooma and Amazon.
P.S: I am using it with a Panasonic phone I bought from Amazon (with the $50 GC).
EDIT: Convinced a friend to get it as well. He is totally happy. Its been about 9 months since I got this and it is going strong as ever. I am not led to believe I got it for the cheapest price it was ever sold on. I use this all the time although I have a good mobile phone. Once in a couple of months I disconnect and restart to see if there are any firmware updates. The call quality has never been a problem (I have a 7Mbps line supposedly although I consistently get a lot more).
UPDATE - MORE THAN A YR LATER:
It is one of those rare times that you come back to review a product that functions perfectly (usually reviews are meant when the product suffers in quality). Anyway, in the past yr, I have managed to convince a friend and an uncle to get this. They are in turn recommending it to others now. I came back to this review because now, I am thinking of getting my mom one as well. That's all. Good bye.

5.0 out of 5 stars switched from Vonage...saving $30/month, January 23, 2010
This review is from: Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service (Personal Computers)
we bought the ooma over the christmas break. it was very easy to setup...i have it going through an Apple Extreme wireless router. i have a panasonic Dect system plugged into it so all my dect phones work great. It took about 4 weeks to get my number ported over from vonage and vonage tried like crazy to keep me but this is just too good of a deal.

the one thing i don't like and it's minor is the startup noise. you can disable it in the preferences but the change won't take effect. i just want to hear a dial tone, not some weird startup noise.

i still don't understand the difference between the telo and the old core one. i know it was a better deal when it first came out but if you were to buy now...it seems like the same deal. if someone can explain it, i would love to hear it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good buy land line charges, January 21, 2010
This review is from: Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service (Personal Computers)
I have been trying to decide for a long time now to purchase this product. Checked the reviews (Amazon is the best resource, if you haven't figured that out) and then pulled the trigger. Everything the reviews said it was. it is. Support is NOT an issue after you get it set up. How many times do you call the telephone company and how fast do THEY respond??? I am not using the premium system as I am trying to limit telephone expenditures. Heck, my cell phone costs $30/year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Land Line Replacement, January 18, 2010
This review is from: Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service (Personal Computers)
This is a great product if you are like me and want to drop your land line, and go an internet only route. The Oooma is easy to set up, with a very helpful guide and lots of questions answered on their website. Just keep in mind you may need to reset your equipment (modem, router) to get the Telo up and running after you install it. Sound quality is great (cable internet connection 10Mb download). It looks kind of strange to me, and the power jack doesn't stay that well in the back, but all in all this is a great land line replacement for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good phone service for little money, January 17, 2010
This review is from: Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service (Personal Computers)
The Ooma Telo is easy to setup, though the installation instructions could be a little more explicit when it comes to describing how to setup as the only phone system for a home. (it provides flexibility to permit the VOIp to beused in addition to a land phone and I didn't need that.) The choice of phone numbers is limited, but acceptable and it is possible to transfer and existing number for a fee. So far, I haven't had any issues with the phone and as far as I can tell, there has been no measurable impact on my internet network speed. Based upon reviews, it seemed to be a more reliable alternative to magic jack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive!, December 3, 2009
This review is from: Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service (Personal Computers)
The call quality is clear, the set up was super easy, the features are great - even with the free service. This exceeded my expectations, and will pay for itself in a few months. The sound quality is actually much better than the landline service I've been paying $50+ a month for.

I will be highly recommending this to everyone I know.

‹ Previous | 1183 184 185442 | Next ›