Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
asked by T. Heckel on November 18, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 78 answers
A
Ant Farm answered on August 30, 2009
Comment | 16 of 17 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
David R. Campbell answered on September 7, 2012
Comment | 11 of 12 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Ralph B answered on August 18, 2009
Comment | 6 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Travelin Texan answered on July 13, 2009
Comment | 7 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have Comcast Cable, Ooma and Bay Alarm in The SF Bay Area, guess what? It works. I set off the system intentionally and Bay Alarm called me like they were supposed to.

Of course, the cable connection has to be up to make the call... but we have been using Comcast VOIP successfully before that.
Bob Dow answered on March 11, 2009
Comment (1) | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I spoke to some higher level tech people at ooma and the short answer is, no ooma does not work with alarm systems. Officially ooma says it might, but only if you plug the alarm into the hub (not the scout). According to this tech he knew of a number of people who had the alarm company run dedicated wires so that the alarm could be plugged into the hub and programmed the alarm system to dial *99 (or something) and it never worked.
Bummer.
En P. Junction answered on November 19, 2008
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I have adt too and yes you still have to keep the landline, though with only basic service.
En P. Junction answered on November 19, 2008
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I don't use Ooma but am considering doing so. Another option for an alarm system is alarm.com which is wireless, so you don't need to retain your landline. Alarm.dot com seems competitive with other alarm companies. I don't use alarm.com either, but if I purchase Ooma I will also purchase alarm.com.
Cosmic Intergalactic Night Tripper answered on November 24, 2008
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The wiring isn't necessarily the problem so much as whether or not the Ooma device will properly transmit the data from the alarm system. An alarm system, like a fax machine, uses a data connection which is far more susceptible to the effects of compression used in some VoIP systems. Hopefully it will work just fine. Please let us know how it works with your alarm system once you get it installed.
T. Heckel answered on January 29, 2009
Comment | 2 of 2 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
LizzardAnn,

Sorry, just checked me email and saw your question. I do currently have the Ooma with an alarm system with dial out with no problems. Both work fine and the quality on the Ooma is surprisingly good.

Have the internet connection going into the Ooma prior to the router. From the Ooma, the phone line goes to the alarm first and then to the rest of the house so it can do the disconnect if necessary.
Jon_Boy answered on July 31, 2009
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next ›

See all questions about this product