Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Opal Fire
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

I LOVE THIS ALBUM! I first heard Omar's music on the Real Music compilation "Freedom to Love," and his track, "Last Dance," was my favorite on that album. I was really looking forward to Omar's debut CD, and it is even better than I was hoping! A classically-trained pianist with an international upbringing (he is the son of a UN diplomat), Omar mixes acoustic piano with synthesized orchestrations, creating a sparkling musical palette with colors from all over the world. It is impossible to not compare Omar's music to Yanni's early work - it is full of fire and excitement as well as beauty and emotion, and the instrumentation is varied on each track. One major difference is that Omar's piano always sings through, and he is obviously a pianist first rather than simply using the piano as one of an assortment of instruments. My favorite piece is still "Last Dance," which grabs me every time, and stays in my head long after the CD has finished playing. It starts out with a light piano melody, and is gradually filled in with other instruments and rhythms. This is not a sad "last dance," although there is a slightly bittersweet quality to the melody - the piece is really quite joyful, and I can't get enough of it. There are no weak tracks on this album, but a few others really stand out for me. "Morning Rain" is a beautiful, gentle piece with mostly piano and guitar. The melody is simple, but so beautiful and passionate that this one sticks in my head, too. "Farewell For Now" has a classical feel when it is just the piano with background instrumentation, but then the rhythm track kicks in, bringing it right back to the 21st century and giving it a big grin. "Innocence Lost" is one of the few sad tracks, but demonstrates Omar's range of playing and composing styles - just gorgeous! "Gypsy Woman" is big and noisy in parts more subdued in others, and is full of fun. It's hard to believe that the guitar parts are synth. "Longing" is a quiet piece, mostly piano and strings, and full of passion - again compellingly beautiful. "Opal Fire" is definitely one of my "top 5" favorite albums for the year so far, and I can't wait to hear more from this incredibly gifted artist. I give "Opal Fire" my highest recommendation.
on September 19, 2013
I am so glad I found Omar Akram's music. He has quickly become my most favorite Contemporary Instrumental/New Age artist. I immediately purchased all titles including Opal Fire, Free As A Bird, Secret Journey and Echoes of Love. I wholeheartedly recommend all titles, but Secret Journey is my favorite. Opal Fire, (which is the first release), has the usual exquisite composing, but one can tell that it was recorded with a smaller budget than the others...the synth/Strings and percussion tracks are not quite as mature and expensive as the subsequent 3 releases. Don't be deterred, though...Opal Fire is worth the purchase alone for Track #11 called "Longing". How beautiful!
He deserves the Grammy award for Best New Age Artist and then some! His songwriting is exceptional! Don't miss it!!
on January 2, 2013
This Omar Akram CD from 2002 shows the promise of better things to come. It introduces his unique style of instrumentation and melodic gifts that were not fully realized until his later CDs. It is bargain-priced, but worth the purchase only if you already own his newer releases. It is beautifully packaged; the CD label is stunning (not something I usually notice).

The music itself is less varied and more formulaic than the two other CDs we own and like very much. The keyboard imitation of real instruments grates against my musical ears, but perhaps more so than it would to yours. Both Secret Journey and Free as a Bird sound like the real instruments to me, and much more pleasing performances as well. I assume he has collaborated with other fine musicians, or is a multi-instrumental wonder himself. I very much regret missing him when he performed live in our area recently (2012).
on December 4, 2002
Soon everyone will know his name. Omar is the new sensation in New Age instrumental music. I give his cd " Opal Fire" as a gift to a friend. She liked it so much, that I decided to order 10 more to send to friends and family as Christmas present.
Thanks Omar!
on September 11, 2002
I am very selective when it comes to music. Several friends of mine told me about " Omar ", and his debut cd " Opal Fire " they bought the cd, and they thought that I should buy it too.
Well I just got it, and loved it! This cd is exotic, and has beautiful melodies. Omar stands out on his own, he is not copying anyone. He is an original artist, that hopefully will give us beautiful music for years to come.
on September 27, 2002
I bought Opal Fire by Omar based on a friends recommendation for myself. It is just beautiful, I love his melodies. Now my whole family listens to Opal Fire. I hope to hear more from this artist in the future.
on November 24, 2013
Very good! I appreciated new idea and new inspiration by Omar! His blending of Oriental and Middle East style into his music is very soothing!
on September 10, 2010
Track 4 seems to borrow from Chris Spheeris a bit too much (who, for all I know, may have borrowed from someone else). But whereas Chris Spheeris is consistently tasteful, most of Omar's tunes are made a little too grandiose. This is probably caused by not having an experienced producer.

Sensitivity is the missing ingredient on this cd, except on the title track, a nice melody with a nice rhythm, which is definitely worth buying.
on September 8, 2002
I just purchased "Opal Fire" by Omar. This has to be one of the best cd's I've heard in a long time. It is exotic and beautiful.
If you are looking for something new and different in the New Age genre. This is the CD!
on September 27, 2002