4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
Published on December 5, 2005 by fifi

1.0 out of 5 stars Cute Chunky Book
**** I meant to give this book 4 stars. Perfect for your diaper bag and for those times when your infant/toddler is whiny...the open the door flaps will keep them occupied for a little while. Good value too!
Published on August 31, 2007 by JAM

4.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, December 5, 2005
fifi (boston, Ma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Open the Barn Door (A Chunky Book(R)) (Board book)
I ordered this book based on all its' glowing reviews. I was a little disappointed when it arrived though. It's very small... yes... good for throwing in your purse etc.. but the flaps inside are also very small. Too small for my 11 month old to use, and a little difficult to find. I'm still going to give it four stars. The illustrations are very colorful and fun. The location of the flaps with-in the pictures is very well done... it's just a shame they are so small. I'm sure my son will really enjoy this book in 5 months or so.

*** For a better young age appropriate lift the flap book, try "Hide and Seek Farm", by Grandreams books. This book is a little bigger, but the card board flaps are huge, and the illustrations simple and colorful. My sons loves this series! (Hide and seek Ocean, Forest, Farm, Pets, Jungle, and Polar)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved in this house!, July 12, 2006
This review is from: Open the Barn Door (A Chunky Book(R)) (Board book)
This book was loved by all my kids at around 1.5 years on up. Get a few copies as toddlers can be rough with the doors and they eventually do fall off. I give this book as a gift as well when friends have babies.

Kids always love to see animals and hear animal sounds. It is no wonder this book is popular!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just needed something cheap to meet free shipping requirement on Amazon..., March 12, 2007
This review is from: Open the Barn Door (A Chunky Book(R)) (Board book)
Well, I managed to purchase an item that was 24.99 from amazon.. one freaking penny more and it's free shipping... Well, I've made a bit of an effort to help expand my son's choices of books to read before bead-time so I chose this book to meet my $25 minimum.

He loves the interaction and has chosen it 4 of the past 5 nights for his bed-time book. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before he moves on to a new book, but for right now... it seems to be the book of the moment.

The book would be good for a child in the pre-reading age and may not be good for a child who lacks soem finer motor skills. The content is nice and allows he and I to interact and prompts questions about various farm animals. it's amazing how... when you try... almost any book can promote educational benefits... even one about farm animals.

I'd definitely buy this book again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just another animal book, July 31, 2004
This review is from: Open the Barn Door (A Chunky Book(R)) (Board book)
This book is a favorite with my 21 month old. We got it when she was 18 months old when she already had many animal books. But she always goes back to this one. It has great illustrations and is sturdy, flaps aren't easily wrecked. She shakes her finger at the goat biting on the sock ("no, no bite"). We now 'knock' on the doors before we open them, so it is new all over again to her. She is speech delayed to it is great hearing her try to say 'cockadoodledoo'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for travel!, April 6, 2007
This review is from: Open the Barn Door (A Chunky Book(R)) (Board book)
I gave this book 5 stars because if you manage your expectations, it more than delivers. At 4"x4", it is small, compact, light and portable--great for a NYC mom like me who carried it with me everywhere we went during the 9 month-2 year period of my son's babyhood. It was great at simultaneously demonstrating the lift-the-flap book concept and introducing farm animals and their sounds to babies. As my son grew older, (as kids do with their toys and books), his relationship and engagement with the book evolved as well and I found him thoroughly enjoying not only the flap-lifting, but also combining reading of the book with intermittent breaks of "Old McDonald" stanzas. For a small book, it has a lot of punch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a "must have", July 4, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Open the Barn Door (A Chunky Book(R)) (Board book)
This was one of the first books I bought for my daughter. Actually I bought it while she was still in my womb! I decided to get it after seeing a child having the best time reading it with her mother at one of my pre-natal visits.
Needless to say my daughter absolutely loves this book. She is now going on 15 months old and picks this book daily to read over and over and over....
The pictures are simple, bright and clear. She loves to lift the flaps and see which animal is waiting for her and we both giggle our hearts out as we make the sounds together.
A pure joy of a book for both child and adult.
This book, I safely can say is her favorite (and one of mine too).

5.0 out of 5 stars My kids' absolute favorite, December 30, 2000
This review is from: Open the Barn Door (A Chunky Book(R)) (Board book)
Our copy's gone through two kids, and I need to get another for #3 on the way because it's been so well loved by the first two. It was the absolute favorite of both my son and daughter. Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to books, February 11, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Open the Barn Door (A Chunky Book(R)) (Board book)
I read this book to my 6 month old daughter at least twice a day and she never gets tired of it! She loves the colorful pictures and the interesting sounds that I make for each animal.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Have!!, January 5, 2002
"filbank" (Lewis Center, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Open the Barn Door (A Chunky Book(R)) (Board book)
I bought this book for my eight-month old daughter. It is her absolute favorite book. The size is small enough that she can turn it over and over in her hands, open the pages and the flaps. We read it to her several times a day. I would recommend this for any parent with small children!

5.0 out of 5 stars My 12 month old loves it, May 3, 2000
This review is from: Open the Barn Door (A Chunky Book(R)) (Board book)
This is an excellent book. My son loves the flaps and the pictures underneath. He also loves the sounds that I make with each picture corresponding to an animal. Highly recommend

Open the Barn Door (A Chunky Book(R))
Open the Barn Door (A Chunky Book(R)) by Chris Santoro (Board book - April 6, 1993)
$3.99 $2.56