Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: Board book|Change

on December 5, 2005
I ordered this book based on all its' glowing reviews. I was a little disappointed when it arrived though. It's very small... yes... good for throwing in your purse etc.. but the flaps inside are also very small. Too small for my 11 month old to use, and a little difficult to find. I'm still going to give it four stars. The illustrations are very colorful and fun. The location of the flaps with-in the pictures is very well done... it's just a shame they are so small. I'm sure my son will really enjoy this book in 5 months or so.

*** For a better young age appropriate lift the flap book, try "Hide and Seek Farm", by Grandreams books. This book is a little bigger, but the card board flaps are huge, and the illustrations simple and colorful. My sons loves this series! (Hide and seek Ocean, Forest, Farm, Pets, Jungle, and Polar)
22 comments|273 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 12, 2015
This is a great little board book. My nephew loves the smaller books that fit in his tiny hands and the peek-a-boo feature makes it even more exciting for him.
on March 12, 2007
Well, I managed to purchase an item that was 24.99 from amazon.. one freaking penny more and it's free shipping... Well, I've made a bit of an effort to help expand my son's choices of books to read before bead-time so I chose this book to meet my $25 minimum.

He loves the interaction and has chosen it 4 of the past 5 nights for his bed-time book. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before he moves on to a new book, but for right now... it seems to be the book of the moment.

The book would be good for a child in the pre-reading age and may not be good for a child who lacks soem finer motor skills. The content is nice and allows he and I to interact and prompts questions about various farm animals. it's amazing how... when you try... almost any book can promote educational benefits... even one about farm animals.

I'd definitely buy this book again.
44 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2004
This book is a favorite with my 21 month old. We got it when she was 18 months old when she already had many animal books. But she always goes back to this one. It has great illustrations and is sturdy, flaps aren't easily wrecked. She shakes her finger at the goat biting on the sock ("no, no bite"). We now 'knock' on the doors before we open them, so it is new all over again to her. She is speech delayed to it is great hearing her try to say 'cockadoodledoo'.
on December 18, 2015
I bought this book for a Christmas gift for my grandson and was about to wrap it and noticed that the cover was not attached properly to the spine. Obviously a mistake when it was put together by the manufacturer. Random House
Disappointing
on July 12, 2006
This book was loved by all my kids at around 1.5 years on up. Get a few copies as toddlers can be rough with the doors and they eventually do fall off. I give this book as a gift as well when friends have babies.

Kids always love to see animals and hear animal sounds. It is no wonder this book is popular!
on April 6, 2007
I gave this book 5 stars because if you manage your expectations, it more than delivers. At 4"x4", it is small, compact, light and portable--great for a NYC mom like me who carried it with me everywhere we went during the 9 month-2 year period of my son's babyhood. It was great at simultaneously demonstrating the lift-the-flap book concept and introducing farm animals and their sounds to babies. As my son grew older, (as kids do with their toys and books), his relationship and engagement with the book evolved as well and I found him thoroughly enjoying not only the flap-lifting, but also combining reading of the book with intermittent breaks of "Old McDonald" stanzas. For a small book, it has a lot of punch.
on July 4, 2001
This was one of the first books I bought for my daughter. Actually I bought it while she was still in my womb! I decided to get it after seeing a child having the best time reading it with her mother at one of my pre-natal visits.
Needless to say my daughter absolutely loves this book. She is now going on 15 months old and picks this book daily to read over and over and over....
The pictures are simple, bright and clear. She loves to lift the flaps and see which animal is waiting for her and we both giggle our hearts out as we make the sounds together.
A pure joy of a book for both child and adult.
This book, I safely can say is her favorite (and one of mine too).
on November 24, 2015
This is an adorable lift-the-flap board book but the reason I am giving it 4 stars is the size of the book. It is TINY. Nothing wrong with a smaller book but for the price you can buy a regular sized board book. Just my opinion though ;)
on February 22, 2016
It was smaller than my 2 year old's usual books but it was the perfect size to put in a bag when we go out. It keeps her busy when sitting down and traveling. This is perfect for little kids who likes animals and saying their different sounds. The quality is very good and does not easily get torn. It also has a good list of animals you would usually find in a barn(Cow, Pig, Chick, Pony, Duck, Goat, Dog, Cat, Rooster, Owl). It has great colorful illustrations.

This is definitely a good value for the price. Totally worth it.