5.0 out of 5 stars the 3D verdict - WOW
I recently jumped on board with the new tech and went 3D in the home with a brand new Samsung model. Currently have purchased almost every 3D Bluray available including some imported overseas from Amazon France and UK such as Alice In Wonderland and Bolt. So I have a lot to compare Open Season to in regard to the 3D aspect of the Bluray.

With great confidence I...
Published on November 22, 2010 by All Powerful Wizard Of Oz

3.0 out of 5 stars Great 3D Experience of A Mediocre Movie
I had never seen this movie until I bought it on Blu-ray 3D. While it's good for a few laughs, the film itself is not so great. What is great, though, is the 3D experience. The 3D effects are present throughout the whole film, so if that's the main (or only) reason you're considering buying this, you won't be disappointed.
Published on December 18, 2010 by anonymous

5.0 out of 5 stars the 3D verdict - WOW, November 22, 2010
This review is from: Open Season [Blu-ray 3D] (Blu-ray)

With great confidence I can say that Open Season is hands down at this time the best showcase of 3D Bluray. The transfer is just pristine and pops with color, sharpness and depth. The 3D does not come across as gimmicky but truly is done so well that you feel like you could reach out and grab the characters on screen. Sony should be comended for doing such a fantastic job with this transfer and this should be the standard bearer going forward when referencing 3D Bluray and what it brings to the table for future home entertainment.

This is a must buy for any 3D HDTV owner.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3D Review by a 3D Connoisseur, February 12, 2011
Keith Niemeyer (LaCrosse, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Open Season [Blu-ray 3D] (Blu-ray)
My ratings are based mainly on the QUALITY OF THE 3D, not the video content.

There are about 60 out of screen effects that extend about 10% of the way, from the screen to the viewer and another 19 around 25%. At 55:40 minutes raindrops fall up to 50% and around 71:30 a flying stick of dynamite made a lot of my friends duck.

My last observation specific to this disk is hard to put into words but here goes; The 3D is done in such a way that it is hard to define "in the screen" and "out of the screen" effects. They usually flow between the two seamlessly making the surface of the screen (mentally) disappear. Ya know what I mean?

*** Funny with an enjoyable story line - Excellent graphics add to the 3D ***

MY 3D RATING = EXCELLENT (poor, fair, good, very good, excellent)

Note: As far as the percentages go, everyone's eyes are different. What I see at 25% you may see at 15% or 35%. To fully realize how far something is out of the screen for you, pause on an effect and direct a partner with an extended finger to the tip of what you are seeing. You may be surprised.

Click on `See all my reviews' for the lowdown on other 3Ds

4.0 out of 5 stars Well done comedy that has appeal to both children and adults, February 1, 2007
This review is from: Open Season (Widescreen Special Edition) (DVD)
"Open Season" is the coming-of-age story of a very unlikely friendship. Boog (Voice by Martin Lawrence), the Bear, has lived a very sheltered life in the garage of Beth, the game ranger who rescued him. Elliott (voice by Ashton Kutcher), the mule deer, has had a very bad day. He's just gotten expelled from his pack by the Alpha Buck, gotten hit by a truck, lost an antler and ended up strapped to the hood of an insane hunter's truck.

When Boog saves Elliott's life, Elliott comes to join him in his garage haven--and they end up on a night on the town that gets Boog sent to the wilderness earlier than his game-ranger Mom would have preferred--and sadly, at the beginning of "Open Season."

To stay safe, the two must band together--and along the way, they learn a lot about friendship and teamwork. This is a great lesson film for kids as well as having some wonderful moments for adults, too.

Plus, the making of videos are fascinating. Viewers have the chance to learn about how animation is drawn and how the directors help bring the voices to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent 3D blu ray, November 23, 2010
This review is from: Open Season [Blu-ray 3D] (Blu-ray)
Saw this movie a couple of years ago and thought it was okay....that hasn't changed. However, this is the best 3D blu ray I have seen so far (A Christmas Carol, Monster House, demo 3d disc by Disney). The images look great and its a good demo 3d. Also the previews for Smurf are excellent. In fact the previews look as if 3D blu ray may even get better with time. However, all of the 3D disc that I have seen don't seem to measure up to Directv 3D channel, not sure why, but TV looks better in 3D then these blu ray 3D's. This is well worth the buy to see what your 3d tv can do!
Update*Piranhas 3D took the lead for me, followed by Resident Evil:Afterlife 3D...if you can deal with all the naked people in Piranhas its a hoot!

4.0 out of 5 stars Regarding 3D....., December 12, 2010
This review is from: Open Season [Blu-ray 3D] (Blu-ray)
I will not provide a review of the movie as there are plenty of movie critics out there. I will however, concentrate on the in-home 3D aspect of this movie, and found this one of the best animated 3D movies currently out at the moment. Excellent depth perception, no ghosting of the images, and some good "out of the screen" scenes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow it looks good, July 23, 2007
Chad Biggerstaff (KANSAS CITY, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Open Season [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I've had my Xbox HD-DVD player for 6 months and love it - hooked on HD movies. I was frustrated at not being able to get all the High Def movies available so I broke down and got the 100 dollar discounted PS3 as soon as the price break hit. For my first Blu-ray movie I selected Open Season, hoping I had made a good choice and felt comforted by the quality reviews I read on here (Amazon).
Sure enough the reviews were true the picture is amazing in 1080P High Def. The movie was more entertaining than I expected. With the quality of the picture and the decent animation story you certainly won't regret your purchase. I wasn't blown away by the uncompressed audio, but it also didn't disappoint - just didn't really stand out where as the picture certainly did.
I dunno if it's because this is an animated movie, but I can say that this is the best quality High Def content I've seen to date, better picture than the HD-DVD movies I've seen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, October 9, 2006
This is a fairly safe film that the whole family can enjoy. A little bathroom humor, a beaver saying "dam", and a fairly intense hunter are the only questionable parts of the movie. The movie involves a bear named Boog who has been taken in by a park ranger and lives in her garage like a pet. Everything is fine until he rescues a deer named Elliot who becomes his friend whether he wants it or not. Elliot gets Boog kicked out into the wild, where the movie follows the familar fish out of water plot as Boog tries to find his way into the wild. It ends with Boog leading the animals of the forest against the hunters during open season to save all of his new friends. The animation is nice, and the voice work is pretty strong. This is not quite a Pixar quality film, but it is not a cheapo movie. I think this is a good one to see with the kids.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great 3D Experience of A Mediocre Movie, December 18, 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD Movie, EXCELLENT Picture!!!!, November 22, 2010
B. Marshall (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Open Season [Blu-ray 3D] (Blu-ray)
I was not sure what to expect from this movie, as we never had seen it before. It was not bad, some funny moments, but seemed to move slow at some points. We decided to buy it because it was in 3D and not many movie out yet for this new technology. The picture was Amazing!! It was a perfect picture on our TV. I saw NO ghosting the images were crisp and the depth and imagery was GREAT!! A must buy for a fan of the Blu-ray 3D movies.

My equipment:
*Samsung LN46C750 46-Inch 1080p 3D LCD HDTV (Black)
*Samsung BD-C6900 1080p 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
*Onkyo HT-S3300 5.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver and Speaker Package (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Boog is the best, February 6, 2007
This review is from: Open Season (Widescreen Special Edition) (DVD)
This is absolutely the best animated feature I have ever seen and I love these things! Martin Lawrence is brilliant as the voice of Boog the Grizzly Bear. He deserves an Oscar for his touching, hilarious vocalizations. And Ashton Kutcher will blow you away as Elliott the buck with one antler. Wait until you hear Gary Sinise as the evil hunter. Incredibly funny. Other performances include Debra Messing as the park ranger who adopted Boog and Patrick Warburton (Puddy from Seinfeld) as the lead buck in the deer herd. Buy it, you will watch it again and again. Super musical soundtrack is also a must have. Highly recommended!

Open Season (Widescreen Special Edition)
Open Season (Widescreen Special Edition) by Roger Allers (DVD - 2007)
$14.99 $6.52