Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Open Season (Widescreen Special Edition)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

on February 12, 2011
My ratings are based mainly on the QUALITY OF THE 3D, not the video content.

There are about 60 out of screen effects that extend about 10% of the way, from the screen to the viewer and another 19 around 25%. At 55:40 minutes raindrops fall up to 50% and around 71:30 a flying stick of dynamite made a lot of my friends duck.

My last observation specific to this disk is hard to put into words but here goes; The 3D is done in such a way that it is hard to define "in the screen" and "out of the screen" effects. They usually flow between the two seamlessly making the surface of the screen (mentally) disappear. Ya know what I mean?

*** Funny with an enjoyable story line - Excellent graphics add to the 3D ***

MY 3D RATING = EXCELLENT (poor, fair, good, very good, excellent)

Note: As far as the percentages go, everyone's eyes are different. What I see at 25% you may see at 15% or 35%. To fully realize how far something is out of the screen for you, pause on an effect and direct a partner with an extended finger to the tip of what you are seeing. You may be surprised.

Click on `See all my reviews' for the lowdown on other 3Ds
99 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 1, 2007
"Open Season" is the coming-of-age story of a very unlikely friendship. Boog (Voice by Martin Lawrence), the Bear, has lived a very sheltered life in the garage of Beth, the game ranger who rescued him. Elliott (voice by Ashton Kutcher), the mule deer, has had a very bad day. He's just gotten expelled from his pack by the Alpha Buck, gotten hit by a truck, lost an antler and ended up strapped to the hood of an insane hunter's truck.

When Boog saves Elliott's life, Elliott comes to join him in his garage haven--and they end up on a night on the town that gets Boog sent to the wilderness earlier than his game-ranger Mom would have preferred--and sadly, at the beginning of "Open Season."

To stay safe, the two must band together--and along the way, they learn a lot about friendship and teamwork. This is a great lesson film for kids as well as having some wonderful moments for adults, too.

Plus, the making of videos are fascinating. Viewers have the chance to learn about how animation is drawn and how the directors help bring the voices to life.
on November 23, 2010
Saw this movie a couple of years ago and thought it was okay....that hasn't changed. However, this is the best 3D blu ray I have seen so far (A Christmas Carol, Monster House, demo 3d disc by Disney). The images look great and its a good demo 3d. Also the previews for Smurf are excellent. In fact the previews look as if 3D blu ray may even get better with time. However, all of the 3D disc that I have seen don't seem to measure up to Directv 3D channel, not sure why, but TV looks better in 3D then these blu ray 3D's. This is well worth the buy to see what your 3d tv can do!
Update*Piranhas 3D took the lead for me, followed by Resident Evil:Afterlife 3D...if you can deal with all the naked people in Piranhas its a hoot!
on December 12, 2010
I will not provide a review of the movie as there are plenty of movie critics out there. I will however, concentrate on the in-home 3D aspect of this movie, and found this one of the best animated 3D movies currently out at the moment. Excellent depth perception, no ghosting of the images, and some good "out of the screen" scenes.
on July 23, 2007
I've had my Xbox HD-DVD player for 6 months and love it - hooked on HD movies. I was frustrated at not being able to get all the High Def movies available so I broke down and got the 100 dollar discounted PS3 as soon as the price break hit. For my first Blu-ray movie I selected Open Season, hoping I had made a good choice and felt comforted by the quality reviews I read on here (Amazon).
Sure enough the reviews were true the picture is amazing in 1080P High Def. The movie was more entertaining than I expected. With the quality of the picture and the decent animation story you certainly won't regret your purchase. I wasn't blown away by the uncompressed audio, but it also didn't disappoint - just didn't really stand out where as the picture certainly did.
I dunno if it's because this is an animated movie, but I can say that this is the best quality High Def content I've seen to date, better picture than the HD-DVD movies I've seen.
on October 9, 2006
This is a fairly safe film that the whole family can enjoy. A little bathroom humor, a beaver saying "dam", and a fairly intense hunter are the only questionable parts of the movie. The movie involves a bear named Boog who has been taken in by a park ranger and lives in her garage like a pet. Everything is fine until he rescues a deer named Elliot who becomes his friend whether he wants it or not. Elliot gets Boog kicked out into the wild, where the movie follows the familar fish out of water plot as Boog tries to find his way into the wild. It ends with Boog leading the animals of the forest against the hunters during open season to save all of his new friends. The animation is nice, and the voice work is pretty strong. This is not quite a Pixar quality film, but it is not a cheapo movie. I think this is a good one to see with the kids.
on February 6, 2007
This is absolutely the best animated feature I have ever seen and I love these things! Martin Lawrence is brilliant as the voice of Boog the Grizzly Bear. He deserves an Oscar for his touching, hilarious vocalizations. And Ashton Kutcher will blow you away as Elliott the buck with one antler. Wait until you hear Gary Sinise as the evil hunter. Incredibly funny. Other performances include Debra Messing as the park ranger who adopted Boog and Patrick Warburton (Puddy from Seinfeld) as the lead buck in the deer herd. Buy it, you will watch it again and again. Super musical soundtrack is also a must have. Highly recommended!
on December 18, 2010
I had never seen this movie until I bought it on Blu-ray 3D. While it's good for a few laughs, the film itself is not so great. What is great, though, is the 3D experience. The 3D effects are present throughout the whole film, so if that's the main (or only) reason you're considering buying this, you won't be disappointed.
on November 22, 2010
I was not sure what to expect from this movie, as we never had seen it before. It was not bad, some funny moments, but seemed to move slow at some points. We decided to buy it because it was in 3D and not many movie out yet for this new technology. The picture was Amazing!! It was a perfect picture on our TV. I saw NO ghosting the images were crisp and the depth and imagery was GREAT!! A must buy for a fan of the Blu-ray 3D movies.

My equipment:
*Samsung LN46C750 46-Inch 1080p 3D LCD HDTV (Black)
*Samsung BD-C6900 1080p 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
*Onkyo HT-S3300 5.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver and Speaker Package (Black)
on February 10, 2007
I don't normally write reviews. While I do read reviews when I'm considering a purchase or doing research, I always take them with a grain of salt.

In this case, I'm writing the review to say that the although the movie does have its funny moments, it's definitely not a movie that the *whole* family can enjoy. I have 3 year old twin boys and I thought the movie might be fun to watch. My wife and I don't mind the adult humor, indeed it usually makes the movies more enjoyable, and the euphemisms generally go right over childrens' heads. However, unlike many other animated movies with adult humor such as Shrek, this movie has some downright crude humor and unacceptable language.

In terms of entertainment quality I'd probably rate it a 3 1/2 or 4. But, for the language it gets 2 stars. Why does an animated PG movie need to use "panty waste"? I understand that it's PG but there are too many "craps", "I'm going to kill you", and that "panty waste". Not something I want my kids, whether they're 3 or 8, running around repeating.

Of course there's a wide range between G and PG-13, so I'll admit that its intended audience is likely for the upper-end of the rating such as 10 to 12 year olds.