Published on May 26, 2007 by Daniel Jolley

2.0 out of 5 stars LOL, Beavis & Butthead Take a Boat Ride With Charlie Brown
I can't give this a one star simply because it does keep you watching in order to find out what happens. Many movies don't even have that. This is the first, and perhaps last, movie review I'll give. I enjoyed and agreed with Jack Baker's review so I'll use some of the names he gives to these characters, also.

Firstly, you will see no sharks, or any other fish...
Published on May 22, 2011 by Slobodan Cruthirds

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly intense and gripping film that more than exceeded my expectations, May 26, 2007
This review is from: Open Water 2 - Adrift (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
After reading the premise of this movie, I just had to see it. Six friends jump off a yacht to take a swim in the ocean, only to realize that they are royally screwed because nobody thought to let the ladder down. In other words, they've jumped in and they can't get up. As one of the characters actually says, the circumstances would be funny if they weren't so serious. Honestly, I expected this to be some kind of B-movie I could laugh at. Instead, it's a polished production, and there's nothing funny about it. You won't be traumatized by any means, but this is one deadly serious film that almost forces you to imagine yourself in the same situation. For me, it was like having claustrophobia out in the middle of the ocean - a weird concept, of course, but that's how it made me feel. I'm really surprised that the film gets so many lukewarm and negative reviews. I found it intense, and I was delighted that things didn't play out the way I expected. The director threw us a curveball at the end, with a pretty ambiguous ending, but after a little thought I can't even criticize that decision, as I believe it ties in with the real story that inspired the film.

A group of old friends get together for a weekend on the high seas, and it looks like a good time will be had by all on board Dan's (Eric Dane) luxurious yacht. (Of course, to really enjoy the cruise, you sort of need to be on the yacht most of the time - aye, that's the rub.) Three guys, three gals, and a baby whose mother has a major water phobia make up the passenger manifest. Some viewers don't seem to like some of these characters, but we really don't get to know any of them intimately before the real drama begins. They're basically just normal people, and that helps put you into the "what would I do in their situation?" mindset.

Let's just look at some of the things we can learn from this movie. 1) If a childhood tragedy has given you a major water phobia, you might want to just pass on the private yacht vacation thing, especially if you have a baby to take care of. 2) Out of every six people, at least one of them is the kind of jerk who will try to cure a friend's fear of the water by picking her up and jumping into the ocean with her. 3) This one's really important - don't forget to let the ladder down before you and everyone else on board go for a swim in the ocean because you cannot get back up on the yacht without said ladder. 4) In this kind of dangerous situation, don't fight over the very sharp knife. 5) When "nuding up" to make a rope out of your clothes, let the lightest person - not the biggest guy - try to climb up the "rope" first. 6) When desperately trying to get back to the surface after a dive, watch your freakin' head. 7) When facing such a "what a stupid way to die" situation such as this, you learn a whole lot about your friends.

Open Water 2: Adrift (which is its own film and not a true sequel to Open Water) turned out to be really intense. Desperation comes quickly and only grows as the whole situation worsens. A full 2/3 of this film takes place in the ocean itself. I know you're probably expecting a shark attack to come along at some point - I know I was - but don't be disappointed by the complete absence of deadly oceanic predators in this film. I think a shark attack would have actually hurt the story, as it would have taken something away from the intensely personal tragedy these poor people have to face. With no outside threat to unite against, these characters quickly turn against one another, making their situation even direr in the process. Then you have the sounds of the baby crying every now and again, adding even more to the angst the characters are feeling and emoting, especially the child's mother Amy (Susan May Pratt). Some viewers are going to quibble and go into a "they should have done this or that" kind of mania as they watch the film, but I found it really quite realistic in terms of the situation.

My first reaction to the film's ending was less than enthusiastic - it's one of those "please don't end it like this --- aaaarrgghhh" types of ending. After reading one of the director's comments and taking a few moments to reflect on it, however, I find myself having no problem whatsoever with the ambiguity of that final minute. Not surprisingly, I think this is a great, underrated movie; it certainly exceeded my somewhat low expectations by leaps and bounds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very realistic for those who live on coastal waters..., February 5, 2008
This review is from: Open Water 2 - Adrift (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
Thought this movie was quite realistic in its possibilities and speculation about being "Adrift" on the ocean. I can preface this as I have gone 20 miles offshore on the Gulf of Mexico and the engine of our boat failed. Anchor would not hold and GPS was fried. We got extremely lucky, fortunate or blessed as we floated near an offshore oil platform that another boat was fishing. We frantically waved for their aid, and help was rendered as we began our 4 hour tow back to port. Some of you may say, just use your cell phone(DUH?), and we did. But, without the GPS positional coordinates to give to the Coast Guard, we were headed for Cuba on a fast moving current and wind, and could no more tell them where we were than the correct direction in which we were headed. And, YES, saltwater destroys any electronics (a cell phone) that it come in contact with as I have ruined one in the same manner as in the movie.
Anyways, I was a presumptuous, callow, small craft captain that did not plan correctly, just as the character, Dan (the idiot), failed to plan. It happens... You want to take your friends offshore, have fun and impress them. During my ordeal, I accomplished none of these goals and those friends have not spoken to me since I dropped them off at their home 20 hours after we had set out for a great day on the deep, open blue. That was 5 years ago. To say this movie is ineffectual is simply an error in ones personal judgement. I do not really think those who have not ever been out on the OPEN sea in a 30' something craft (not a cruise ship guys) :) , or have ever spent any significant amount of time on the briny water snorkeling, fishing, diving, etc, can truly appreciate what this film is trying to accomplish. You are just not able to appropriately empathize if you have no platform or basis from which you make your judgement of this movie.
I found it quite funny that this movie received a 42% review/approval at rotten tomatoes website, and 'The Descent' (which I had seen just before this film) received an 84% review/approval. I thought 'The Descent' was another very poorly acted, non-scary, excuse movie to get young, hot, dynamic chicks in tight clothing eaten or hacked up in another uninteresting way. The reviews % should be reversed...but, what do I know, right? I also find humor in those who criticize the movie for the "silly" and "unecessary" reaction of the boat party to their impending doom i.e. swimming away and drowing themselves, fighting, not figuring out how to save themselves, etc. I would really like to put the 6 most negative of these reviewers together on that boat, and watch the complete chaos that would ensue. Easy to talk big boy from a computer screen and soft comfy chair about what you would do.
Anyways, I digress and do apologize. 'Open Water: 2' was truly gripping and had me sitting forward on my living room couch for much of the film. My personal experience was truly scary, a lesson learned and a real situation that actually had me contemplating and reflecting on my own possible demise while drifting helpless with a crew looking to me for answers to their questons that I did not have. This experience I will never forget, and the movie was able to reopen those indelible memories, fraying my nerves and making me shudder, once again. I thought the movie was quite well acted and portrayed, and I was moved emotionally...

4.0 out of 5 stars Better Than the First, March 29, 2007
Joshua Koppel (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Open Water 2 - Adrift (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
This is a thematic sequel to Open Water. In this film, a group of friends are out on a yacht when some of them decide to go swimming. One of the people who stay on the boat is deathly afraid of water due to a childhood trauma. She puts on a life vest as soon as she exits her car even though the water is more than a hundred yards away. Also on board are the woman's baby and her ex. The ex is the cause of much of the later trouble. Soon, through a twist of fate, all the adults are in the water leaving just the baby on board. It is then that they realize they have no way of getting back on the boat.

Most options are tried for getting back on board although maybe not in the order the viewer will think of. The ladder is not down, the anchor is not down, and the sides are too high to reach. At one point I did have to ask myself why the heaviest person was making the attempt at one point). All options are tried and they fail in believable ways. The real trouble comes from the fighting and bickering that springs up. Why is the captain too stupid to make sure the ladder is down (it's believable)? Eventually bad things begin to happen due to tiredness and carelessness. People begin to die. The story that progresses is tenser and better presented than in the first movie.

Unlike in the first movie, we see how situations work out. In the first movie there was a scene where a boat was coming at them and they start to wave but then the film jumps time and we don't know what went wrong , only that something must have. In this movie all threads are followed through. My only real problem was that when blood was in the water it never drew any predators (and it was in the water in quantity for hours). But other than that I found this film much better than the first (although it had the opportunity to learn from the first one). If you like tense survival films you will probably like this one. Check it out.

2.0 out of 5 stars LOL, Beavis & Butthead Take a Boat Ride With Charlie Brown, May 22, 2011
This review is from: Open Water 2 - Adrift (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)

Firstly, you will see no sharks, or any other fish in this film. These actors were prohibitively expensive. There is little if any character development outside a token little bit given to Hydrophobic Woman. The six people (not including the baby) who take the yacht off the coast of Mexico are so generic and uninteresting, with little to like about any of them, that I couldn't remember any of their names two days after viewing it. Think decadent yuppies and soccer moms leaving their suburban McMansions to inflict themselves on Mexico. They elicit all the sympatico you'd get watching a sinking ship with Bill Gates, Dick Cheney, and Nancy Pelosi on board. Who cares?

We have two thirds of the adult yacht population swimming beside the yacht when Jerky Guy grabs Hydrophobic Woman and jumps into the ocean with her, despite her protestations. This is the first of Jerky Guy's Charlie Brown-like touches of death.
Everything he touches turns to $%^t. No one has remembered to lower the ladder to get back aboard the deck, which rises 8 feet above their bobbing heads. No one has even bothered to lower the anchor. These people are in the water all day and some of them deep into the night. Hypothermia would occur very quickly unless that water was very near 98.6 degrees, but not in this movie, even though none of them are wearing wet suits.

Brainy ideas to get back aboard include: grabbing Jerky Guy's helium voiced trophy girlfriend's porpoise float and popping it trying to jump from it to the deck, trying to climb up the flag hanging from the stern, and taking off all their swimsuits and cutting them up to make rope, which they toss up to the deck. Instead of having a light weight person like one of the women try to scale it, Jerky Guy, manliest man among men, breaks both the rope and the flag with his refrigerator weight. Hydrophobic Woman's hubby gets the idea to dive under the boat to find a way in from that angle, failing to realize that trying to enter a boat from below the water line is like trying to exit a plane at 36,000 feet, or astronaut Maxwell Smart exiting his space capsule while forgetting his suit. To increase the melodrama, he decides to bash his head on the keel while trying to surface and get a breath, in the process fracturing his skull.

Meanwhile, Birthday Guy is so incensed at their predicament that he finally grabs the knife, swims to the side of the yacht, and tries to use the knife blade as a wedge in the ladder door crack to get a handhold to leverage himself up. Jerky Guy, upon seeing his precious yacht being manhandled, attacks Birthday Guy, and with his Charlie Brown "All I got is a rock" touch of death, Jerky Guy accidentally stabs Birthday Guy and then drops the knife into the deeps. Great clouds of blood spew from Birthday Guy, causing Jerky Guy's helium voiced trophy girlfriend to freak, fear sharks, and swim off and drown. Swimmer Girl finally lets go of Birthday/Stabbed Guy, releasing him to the deep along with their rope of swimsuits, to prevent them from trying that trick again.

Feeling immortal, and seeing no instant help, Swimmer Girl takes off swimming with perfect aplomb, leaving for the horizon in a vast sea of emptiness, no compass, no direction, no nothing. We never see her again. Possibly she makes Guam, or is even STILL swimming. Come back soon, we'll be waitin' for ya. Concussion Guy succumbs and is jettisoned. Jerky Guy, feeling sorry for himself, swims a quarter mile from the yacht, which never seems to drift anywhere, and attempts to locate the knife on the bottom of the ocean. We see him taking a mini vacation for several hours of very deep diving, searching for the knife. We have no idea how deep it is, but Jerky Guy uses his swimming mask to scan the deeps with his laser vision eyes. He takes magnanimously deep breaths and dives to the bottom, presumably U.S.S. Scorpion crush depths of two miles, but remember he has taken VERY deep breaths before diving.

Well, I won't continue, but you can deduce the idea with this movie. It's almost an unintentional comedy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lesson One: Always Lower the Ladder Before Swimming in the Ocean, May 5, 2010
This review is from: Open Water 2 - Adrift (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
There be Spoliers Ahead, Yar! Actually, it's pretty much a complete plot summary, so consider yourself warned.

I caught this movie on the Independent Film Channel not that long ago. A caveat: ordinarily, I pretty much stick to reviewing things that I like, simply because usually I don't care enough to waste my time on the things that I don't. I'm going to have to make an exception for this movie. The plot is pretty basic: a group of college friends get together on the luxury yacht belonging to one of the guys. They decide to go for a swim in the ocean, leaving the owner of the boat aboard with one of the women and her baby. The woman is hydrophobic, caused by a tragedy in her past, revealed through clumsy flashback sequences. The guy who owns the boat grabs the hydrophobic woman and jumps off the side of the boat with her, which terrifies her and sends her into shock.

So now all six adults are in the water and the baby is on the boat alone. And none of these idiots were smart enough to lower the ladder on the boat, trapping them in the ocean as the sides of the boat are too high to climb. Between them, they have one diving mask and one diving knife. They try to make a rope from their swimsuits, which fails. The hydrophobic woman's husband takes the mask and swims underneath the boat, looking for a way to get back aboard. UNDERNEATH the boat, as if there might be a magic door down there somewhere. He, of course, bumps his head hard enough to concuss himself, because obviously there needed to be more melodrama. And then, the other two guys get in a fight after the third guy tries to use the knife to punch holes in the side of the boat to create hand holds to pull himself up. The boat owner freaks and they fight, which leads to the third guy being stabbed.

As if that isn't enough, we learn that the boat doesn't even belong to Mr. jerky boat owner, but to his boss. Turns out he's a miserable failure trying to impress his old college buddies. Meanwhile, stabbed guy dies, boat "owner's" girlfriend gives up and drowns, and then hydrophobic lady's husband also succumbs to his concussion. Stabbed guy's wife is a swimmer, so she sets off for shore, never to be heard from again. That just leaves hydrophobic lady and her flashbacks of her dad drowning, jerky guy, and the screaming baby on the boat. If you said that all this movie needs in order to get worse is a raging storm, you win a prize.

During the storm, hydrophobic woman and jerky guy realize stabbed guy was on to something when he was hacking at the side of the boat (which jerky guy killed him over). Jerky guy wedges the lens from the scuba mask in the hole stabbed guy punched in the side of the boat and hydrophobic lady stands on his hands and is able to reach the railing and haul herself over. She lowers the electric ladder and jerky guy initially comes on board, but distraught that he essentially killed almost all of his friends, he chooses to go back in the water, so hydrophobic lady has to face her fear to go save him. Hydrophobic lady and her baby are rescued the next day by the Coast Guard. Jerky guy is shown laying face down on the deck, but it's not clear whether he's alive. FIN. If you've read this far, I just saved you from watching two hours of this slop. You're welcome.

This was perhaps the most awful movie I've ever seen. The acting and plot were just terrible. This was based on a true story, so I can only hope that the screenwriter exaggerated the events to play up the drama. A couple of closing thoughts: 1. If I was hydrophobic, you'd never get my butt anywhere near a boat. 2. What happened to the woman who struck off alone? Did she drown? Did she reach shore? Was she rescued by sea turtles and Captain Jack Sparrow? I need closure here, people. 3. Why did I watch all of this movie? Apparently, I really , really hate myself.

2.0 out of 5 stars Six Stupid People at Sea, August 2, 2008
shimi subramaniam "shimarella" (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Open Water 2 - Adrift (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
I loved the original Open Water. I figured this "sequel" wouldn't be as good but I am a sucker for movies that exploit the awful wonder of the ocean so I gave it a shot. There are some good performances in the film, and the irony of how they got themselves into this pickle is a great set-up. But there are just too many acts of stupidity. When Lauren decides to swim off to shore & no one stops her, I just had to laugh. I mean, seriously??? That's not even to mention the rope ( which they let go adrift with a corpse when they could have used it to try again... argh!), the cell-phone, the knife etc etc. I understand that people in this situation don't think very clearly, but it also seemed like a lot to ask that we identify/empathise with such a spoiled, entitled and idiotic crowd.
The "ambiguous ending" is also ridiculous. They should have stuck with the first choice and let the screen fade out without trying to have their second ending, which by itself also didn't make any sense ( crying baby, preserver still in the water,ladder down, etc)

Eh, watch it if it shows up on cable and you have nothing else to do. But if I were you, I'd get Open Water instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe as Good as the Original, May 19, 2007
Rod Hansen (Goffstown, NH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Open Water 2 - Adrift (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
I rented this DVD half-expecting a cheap knockoff of the original, and was pleasantly surprised to find a nail-biter of a suspense film with a high quality of acting and production.

A group of twentysomething high school friends gather for a yaghting trip in celebration of one of their birthdays. Things go horribly wrong when, in their beered-up revelry, they all decide to jump ship and go for a swim. Panic ensues when they realize no one dropped the ladder and they have no way of getting back on the boat.

There are some stunning moments of suspense as the characters try to figure a way out of their situation. One scene in which a character delves deep into the water and knocks his head on the ship following a frantic rise to the surface will cause any viewer to cry out in vicarious pain.

The movie's star turn undoubtedly belongs to Susan May Pratt, who completely owns the screen every time she appears. Her turn as a suffering mother who entered the water involuntarily is easily the most sympathetic performance.

Some reviewers have complained that there's no character development to be found in this film. Actually, we learn quite a bit about the supposed "owner" of the yaght. His confession about his professional life is straight out of "Death of a Salesman."

This movie is not a sequel to the original "Open Water," which may be a superior film. Rather, it's basically a movie with the same premise. Here, at least, it's easy to understand how the characters became stranded - In the first movie, it's all but impossible to figure out how the characters got left off the ship.

The biggest weak point here is the ending...or "endings," as the film seems to sport two distinctly different conclusions. Either way, though, this is a good entertainment and deserves viewing from anyone intrigued by the idea of a group of people being literally lost at sea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping and full of tension, March 5, 2007
This review is from: Open Water 2 - Adrift (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
I really dont understand all the negative reviews for this movie. Sure its not Hamlet, but its not a turkey either. Using as its premise a similar situation to Open Water, which to me is very plausible. Here you have a group of people on boat drinking, and relaxing who decide to go swimming and forget to lower a ladder in order for them to get back on the boat.

What ensues is gripping and nicely built tension as they try and adopt various means to get back on board. Each one of the six people eventually succombing to hysteria and some to the elements.

A lot of reviewers have concentrated on the 'what ifs and why didnt they' - forget that,and just relax and go with the story. The point is we would all react in different ways when faced with a challenging situation such as this.

For me the enjoyment was watching the pyschological interplay between the characters and being equally frustrated by their failed attempts to get back on board.

Its gripping, depressing, well acted and filmed and I enjoyed it far more than the original Open Water.

1.0 out of 5 stars Based on Real Events? Real People Can't Be This Dumb, April 28, 2011
This review is from: Open Water 2 - Adrift (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
This is one of those movies where you find yourself talking to the TV as though the characters in the film will actually hear you giving them advice - advice they desperately need. The few things they could have done to save their lives they don't come anywhere near considering, while most of their other decisions are trumped by human stupidity. There's one brilliant moment where the film's main idiot realizes he's an idiot and confesses his idiocy and.... well, that's about it.

The scenario is interesting: A bunch of friends partying on a yacht fail to lower a ladder - or even an anchor - over the side before they all jump in for a swim. Stuck out in the middle of nowhere they're forced to tread water until fatigue, injury, or idiocy draw them to certain doom. And oh yeah - someone left the baby on board alone.

The movie balances on the brink of potential off and on, but just when you think it'll get good it turns to crap. Overall, what you hope will be a happy ending is just plain depressing. Why tell these stories? What's the point? There's no life lesson here. There's no survival skills taught or even learned. The film just showcases how inept most people are today at practical means of survival. As educated as we all appear to be, if we were left to survive anywhere outside of our pleasant human comforts we'd die.

4.0 out of 5 stars Realistic and Dramatic, November 25, 2009
This review is from: Open Water 2 - Adrift (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
I think this movie was very heartbreaking. To see a mother go thru this was awful. Those that think this can't happen. Have you ever been on a large boat? Go on one and jump over. Then look up. Try to imagine getting up without a ladder. In life situations panic sets in, you can't think straight. As a mom myself, if your child is stranded, that would put additional worry in.

This movie was excellent. It truly showed the fear and the things that can happen. The ocean is a cruel place. It's based on a true story of things that happened, it easily could happen to anyone. All it takes is too much to drink or one moment of fun without thinking. Everyone jumped in to swim, thinking someone else would lower the ladder.

We have the video and I'll watch it again. The only bad part is the ending. From reading I've found that Amy and her daughter survive, and speculation says Dan does as well.

Open Water 2 - Adrift (Widescreen Edition)
$9.98 $6.06