Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on DOTD

Format: MP3 MusicChange

on April 9, 2007
Last thing on my mind was Yoko ono's music in a dance club scenario. But it works! It proves that if she wanted to, she could've been a mainstream artist and kick the other wannabes right out of the water! Her vocals gel well with the beats and that's a pleasant surprise.

I'll never forget when I went to NYC's now defunct dance club The Roxy and saw Yoko perform Open your box with Peter Rauhofer blasting those dance beats from the DJ stand. It was surreal but exciting. I will say that there were some confused looks on the part of some typical dance shirtless guys in the place but hopefully a compilation like this can convince them otherwise!

Yoko Ono is art!
on April 4, 2007
There is a fine line between dance music and conceptual art and Yoko walks this tightrope with incredible grace and charm. Of course, this is in large part due to the intelligent choice of musicians who clearly know how to boogie with sensuality, sensitivity, and awareness. This is the kind of music to which you can work both your mind and your bottom.

I hope to see more fun like this. Dance music that gets your brain working is a good thing. It's nice to connect to the world and find happiness all at the same time. :-)
on April 3, 2007
I'm constantly buying dance music and I've got to tell you if this isn't in your collection,then go out and purchase it! I had heard "Everyman,Everywoman and Walking on Thin Ice" in the clubs and loving them to death.The tight production from all the different remixers along with Ono's unique vocals call for great dance music.You won't be disappointed!
on July 18, 2007
Open Your Box is the second of two Yoko Ono remix CDs under the moniker of Ono. The first CD Yes, I'm A Witch gathered a broad range of musical talents to reinterpret her songs creating an eclectic mix of tracks from Peaches electroclash take on Kiss Kiss Kiss to Antony Hegarty's dreamy Toy Boat to Hank Shocklee's short but sweet Witch Shocktronica Intro. Most, but not all, of the remixes work pretty well (Cat Power and Porcupine Tree come to mind as the weaker tracks) with the dancier tracks being the standouts.

Open Your Box, released a few months after Witch, takes its cue from Witch's dancier tracks by being a disc full of non stop incredibly cool dance remixes from more high profile artists like Pet Shop Boys, Basement Jaxx, Felix da Housecat and Danny Tenaglia.

The sound samples will not give you an idea of what to expect because these are multi layered tracks that build up over the duration of the track. The music in and of itself is pretty much your garden variety Euro house that you would hear at your local gay bar but what transcends it is the juxtaposition of Ono's unique voice and vocal stylings over a pulsating pounding beat. Yes, Yoko is not the world's best singer but I enjoy the sincerity in her voice which makes it work really, really well. And her voice will surprise you. It's really not as bad as so many people make it out to be.

The opener, You're the One is one of the highlights for me and is lovely and heartfelt especially when Yoko's voice cracks as she sings "How do I teeellllll you? You're the one."

Another highlight is Peter Rauhofer's Hell In Paradise remix. The start of my love affair with Yoko began with this song when I saw the video for it years ago in the early 80s. What makes this remix so wonderful is once Yoko's sings her vocals over a pulsating trance beat there's this added disco diva chorus that repeats the main chorus of the track. Hard to explain but it's exactly the kind of stuff you want to hear when you're all sweaty and half naked on the dance floor.

Give Me Something is yet another highlight. There's this break in the middle of the song and in a call and response style Yoko sings, "Give me something!" as a male vocal answers "Yoko wants!" It gets even better when Yoko's voice echoes, "Give me something . . . hard...hard...hard...cold...cold...cold. . ."

Possibly my favorite track of the entire disc is the Pet Shop Boy's Walking On Thin Ice remix. I am not a fan of PSB but they do wonders with this remix. I get goosebumpy and teary eyed when Yoko sings, "When our hearts return to ashes it will be just a stor-or-or-ory." Even her primal scream yelping is pitch perfect with this remix.

The only track that doesn't work for me is DJ Dan's Give Peace A Chance remix. I don't think it's possible to turn that song into a dance track without it coming off cheesy.

Open Your Box is the perfect summer CD and was the perfect soundtrack for me and my buds during gay pride as well. Everyone I have played this for either loved it right from the start or reluctantly succumbed to it charms. I used to love Yoko Ono but now I totally worship her. Yoko, you need to get into the studio ASAP and record a disc full of original house music. It will work. I would definitely buy it.
on May 2, 2007
I've been familiar with Ono's work in the dance music genre for some time now, I have purchased her singles of Yang Yang and Walking on Thin Ice (which i heard in an episode of Queer as Folk) so I was particularly excited to see a compilation of all of her remixed hits. Her voice, although quirky, works very well with this type of music. The musical styles range from smooth house, electro, progressive house to big room sounds. The only disappointment I had was that all tracks are only edits which makes them harder to mix with, other than that, I highly reccomend.
on May 20, 2007
Excellent remixes! Bimbo Jones' catchy 'You're The One" will get you moving as will the unexpected "I Don't Know Why" by Sapphirecut. DJ Dan's mix of "Give Peace a Chance" brings a smile as well. Peter Rauhofer also did an excellent job with "Hell In Paradise".

Although the shortened remixes of "Walking on Thin Ice" and "Everyman Everywoman" are appreciable, it would have been nice to hear some more 'new' remixes instead of what has already been released. Nonetheless, it is very listenable!
on May 9, 2007
Wow, this is great stuff. I can agree with critics who say Yoko is not a great singer, but she is a great artist, and these remixes produced by a wide variety of dance floor wizards really knock me out. If you like to dance, and the artists who created the remixes appeal, then get this album. Guaranteed to get you out on the floor! Open Your Box, indeed!
on May 7, 2008
As a long-time (since 1973!), hard-core Yoko Ono fan, I looked forward to this CD, and it did not disappoint. My favorite selection on this CD was "I Don't Know Why" - Sapphirecut managed to "take a sad song and make it better" (pardon the Beatles pun...).

I understand the reviewer's point of view who said that it was "hardcore" dance/trance/whatever the appropriate term is, but all the mixes were good. The weak one, as one other reviewer pointed out, was "Give Peace A Chance" - either DJ Dan didn't do as well as he hoped, or (this is what I imagine is the case) the song simply does not lend itself that well to a dance-beat. It is also a very serious and important song, so it is a little bit of a shock to hear it as a trance song.

In any case, I think this is a very strong CD, and well worth buying
on September 19, 2007
This CD is truly amazing. This woman who is over 70 is just taking the world by the balls and creating some rockin' music. She has always been so far ahead of her time. But now it seems she has crossed over to the time where what she is doing is more contemporary and connected to the present. I'm not saying she isn't ahead of the curve anymore. I am saying WE are finally catching up with her. She is clearly the manifestation of every woman's and man's potential. She shows all of us that age is a concept that makes no sense. Age is obsolete because the world is spinning and we are able to transcend all such limiting definitions.
Yoko Ono Lennon is truly this and last century's greatest untapped resource. She has been a political activist, a heroine, a ground breaking artist since she first put her ideas in the public arena. In the face of mass ignorance, ridicule and judgement she has remained a bright light in the darkness of prejudice, racism and oppression for many decades. Finally we seem to have caught up with her wisdom and optimism.
John Lennon did not suffer fools. He was not a stupid or dumbstruck idiot. He saw Yoko. He loved Yoko. He knew what so many fools wanted to deny. This womon is a genius, rocker, poet, artist, spiritual loving being. She has shown us her vulnerability and her courage in the face of the kind of negativity that would defeat any other person. She is the beacon and the spirit we all wish we were and aspire to become.
Musically this album is hypnotic and full of emotion. Her collaborations with today's artists creates a place where we can come together and rock, dance, shake, gyrate, love, trust, play, enjoy and appreciate what makes us so very human.
Rock on Yoko. You have given us more than we can ever know. You are beyond description, beyond words. I for one welcome and love you for who you are. Your generosity and forgiveness of us for our judgement and prejudice is appreciated and recognized by at least some of us. U-Rock.
on February 1, 2014
It is gratifying to see that the songs of Yoko Ono, once considered too weird for mainstream acceptance, have been adapted to form these dance tracks. Here we have the once-dreaded Japanese performance artist as a dance-floor diva, with her songs used as the basis for some delightful hardcore remixes. One probable reason for her success in this genre is that Yoko uses her voice truly as an instrument, and so her vocals enhance these remixes more than the voices of most singers would.

Some of the tracks adhere to the basic song structures and melodies of the original recordings, including the Basement Jaxx "Everyman Everywoman", the Felix Da Housecat "Walking On Thin Ice" (vocals enhanced), and Pet Shop Boys "Walking On Thin Ice", which sparkles with quivering, shimmering synths. Others diverge greatly, with interesting results. The Bimbo Jones "You're The One" is a good bit faster than the original, but the melody is basically intact. It is a good opener for the album. On "Hell In Paradise" by Peter Rauhofer, most of the lyrics are recited, not sung, against an appropriately sinister instrumental track. In the verses of Morel's "Give Me Something" one measure of silence has been inserted between each line, thus adding to their gravity; but the other lyrics have been taken apart and reassembled to form something different. On Murk's "Everyman Everywoman", Superchumbo's "Kiss Kiss Kiss" and Danny Tenaglia's "Walking On Thin Ice", the sung lyrics are similar to the originals but the music has very little resemblance.

I noticed that starting with #7, Sapphirecut's "I Don't Know Why", the tracks exhibit an industrial and scarier sound, with primitive overtones - not primitive musically, but primitive as in "outside civilization". When I first listened to these, I tried to imagine that I was a teenager participating in a modern rave. Instead I found myself thinking of a torchlit cave in centuries B.C., somewhere in the Fertile Crescent, attending a pagan religious ritual, complete with orgiastic rites and human sacrifice. I know it sounds preposterous, but I let my mind wander and that's where it took me.

The final track is a remix of "Give Peace A Chance". Its position at the end of the album suggests to me that it was not intended to compete with the other tracks but was meant to be simply another commercial for world peace, Yoko's pet cause. The album ends with Yoko saying, "Let's come together, and work it out." Amen to that.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse