Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now SnS

Format: DVD|Change

on May 12, 2002
Esta pelicula es una obra maestra que no puede faltar en la colección de ningun cinefilo. Si te gustó "Tesis", tambien dirigida por Alejandro Amenábar, esta pelicula sin duda te fascinara.
Es un film sicologico, que muestra hasta que punto podemos dintingir la realidad de la fantasia, puede ser que en este mismo momento todo lo que esta a nuestro alrededor es una ilusion ¿ Cómo saberlo?.
Es un thriller apasionante, que te agarra y no te suelta en ningun momento. Tiene grandes actuaciones, una excelente fotografia, un impecable guion y una mirada innovadora de parte del director.
En resumen, una pelicula que no defraudara a nadie, con un guion inteligente, interesante y novedoso, en donde como es de costumbre de Amenábar, al final, mucho o nada es como pareciera que era.
on November 19, 2001
I waited a while for this to be released on dvd. The DVD is very clean, very "well done", although generically simple. I was afraid it would be something like the Thesis dvd. Fear not. It's not as expensive, and Artisan did a good job with it.
However, i did find a couple errors, mainly on the cast bios and the like. I assume that's why they re-released it (as of now, the dvd is set to be released on december, while it was originally released last august). If on Amenabar's filmography you've got a "The Darkness (2001)" (should be The Others), that's the first version right there.
It goes without saying Open Your Eyes is a superb movie. If you haven't seen it yet (which i honestly doubt if you're here reading the dvd reviews), go get your hands on a copy. You won't regret it.
on January 12, 2002
I love films with twists, but hate those that build you up and then dont deliver. This film delivers ! It builds the pace and interest, gives you clues and makes you think. Well acted and the final conclusion and twist comes out 10 mins from the end but your still not sure if this is the truth or not and keep watching ...... excellent , so much so Tom Cruise bought the rights to it having seen it , lets hope the hollywood remake Vanilla Sky does it justice.
on June 18, 2002
Open your eyes indeed...this was truly one unique film. The first twenty minutes is romance, while the rest is a psychological thriller/sci-fi...although those terms only vaguely describe it. Think of it as an EXPERIENCE...I don't think there is any way you can really give a better description of it than that.
It reminded me, like others have said, of The Phantom of the Opera, and another movie which I shall not name. However, Open Your Eyes came out before this "other" movie (Open your Eyes came out in 1997), so Open Your Eyes is the more original version.
This cast did a very satisfying job. I cannot say anything about how "good" they sound as it was in Spanish with subtitles, but their facial expressions, everything was amazing. I ESPECIALLY thought that the performance by Chete Lera for Antonio (the doctor) was incredible...He really moved me towards the ending with his facial expressions, etc. Penelope Cruz and Eduardo Noreiga both did incredible work as well, although Cruz in this movie does not have a lot more to do besides look good and smile.
This score was incredible in the movie too. As it neared the climax, it was perfect. Another seamless score by Amenabar. Great cinematography, especially at the end...quite brilliant.
This was also made before The Others, and in a way, I think of this as showing the raw talent of Amenabar, while The Others showed a much more refined style; proving that he does learn from each previous movie. But many of the ideas here in this movie also made you think a bit more. The two-face concept (in the club) was a very meaningful thing, and I also liked how he wove mimes into the movie, and what they signify. Beautifully thought out, and shown.
This movie seems a bit "disjointed" and although everything was good, it just had that feeling to it that made it seem a bit "scatterbrained". This is not a big thing, just something I noticed.
Like Peter Travers of Rolling Stone said about Vanilla Sky-the American remake of this, this movie has "mind bending secrets" that "no reviewer should give away", and I think this also applies to this movie. My advice to you is to see this before those secrets are given away by some other review. However, I do have to say that I did guess at some of the secrets, and I did come pretty darn close...but it is still an excellent film that was certainly very original (at the time anyway).
I hope Vanilla Sky is as good, just for the sake of introducing movies like these to the North American cinema. I was saddened to find out that Amenabar's beautiful music won't be gracing the new version, however I am confident that Crowe will add his own touch, as I have heard he is quite brilliant choosing/using music in his movies.
I know most of this review didn't really deal too much with the concepts of the movie, but I didn't want to say anything...there were many examples of each thing (the cinematography, the score at its climax, etc...) that I wanted to talk about, but I shouldn't because this is a film that you can barely talk about without giving away something...so all I can really say is see this movie.
Open your eyes...and see the brilliance of Abre Los Ojos.
(Note: this is a review I wrote when I actually saw the movie back in November which is why it mentions hoping Vanilla Sky will be just as good...I still have not got around to seeing Vanilla Sky yet)
on August 28, 2008
If you can follow subtitles along with movie, you'll like this one much more than vanilla sky. However, vanilla sky answered some questions for me or perhaps just that I knew what to expect.
VINE VOICEon January 13, 2001
If you click on the small picture of the video you'll see why you should see this movie. Well at least that should draw the average male anyway. But nothing is at it seems in this superb film that raises so many questions, takes so many twists and turns that it captivates yoour attention for days. A smart movie with ideas that stimulates further thought, long after the images of Penelope Cruz are fading from your indelibly marked brain. The story is a combination of genres but any revealing of the ultimate story line would ruin the possibility of your own surprise. Penelope's love interest, lucky guy, sigh, is a player who gets more than he bargains for and has a terrible accident that leaves the handsome, Eduardo Noriega looking like across between the Elephant Man and the Phanthom of the Opera. This is where the story takes off from an apparent Spanish romance flick into an undefineable movie for the ages. It makes you think, questions your own ideas, leaves you thinking and as a bonus, you get to see the Spanish heart throb, Penelope Cruz.
on December 19, 2013
I bought this movie for the same reason most people buy it--because of Penelope Cruz. But I was very impressed with the quality of the story and the acting here. I've heard Vanilla Sky was based on Open Your Eyes, but that does a disservice to this movie. This movie is top-notch.
on August 15, 2002
Eduardo Noriega stars in the role that would later be played by Tom Cruz in the Hollywood remake, Vanilla Sky.
I'm not a Tom Cruz fan and did not see Van Sky. let's just leave it at that. But Open Your Eyes (Abre Los Ojos en Espana) had me fairly involved as I followed the events of the character played by Noriega (who is, by the way, absolutely beautiful) He plays a much less sympathetic character than the one in "Plata Quemada" (Burnt Money). (even though he was a murdering bank robber in Burnt money)
In this film he is a rich spoiled brat who owes allegiance to no one. (actually reminds me of my most recent ex-boyfriend in Spain) He meets his come uppance and is being interviewed in jail trying to figure out what happened.
The ending was a bit lacking in my opinion after the elaborate buildup of the whole movie. But I still liked it enough to see it repeatedly. It's a good film (esp if you like Noriega or Penelope Cruz) But not a great film like Burnt Money

My recommendation is to get this movie if you like films with a psychological twist.
on November 24, 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this earlier, better, Spanish version of the movie "Vanilla Sky" that starred Tom Cruise. Easy to see why Penelope Cruz was chosen to reprise her staring role.
on October 11, 2014
Fantasy sometimes does good things in helping.us to understand our world. This seems the case. Hiwever the director does not finish his tale in the best way he could.