Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: HardcoverChange

on August 20, 2001
For those with a hectic schedule, this book is a reminder of wisdom that has survived generations and generations. A quick read yet a powerful reminder of lessons learned by those that came before us. Rather than giving "fluffy-keep-your-chin-up" snipits of advice, this book gives realistic and thought provoking quotes that are as useful today as the day that they were created.
0Comment21 of 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2002
I bought both the little volume and this new volume of Open your mind, Open your life. I think the world would be a better place if everyone would read these books and take their messages to heart. The ideas in these books have ringing truths that cause you to pause and think. I've given copies to many friends and everyone has felt encouraged by what they read.
on May 25, 2002
This book is really popular at my school now. Seems like everyone has a copy. I first heard about it on the Rosie O'Donnell show when she gave copies of it to her studio audience. Next thing I knew my mom had a copy, then my best friend and now all my classmates, too! It's really great -- uplifting and deep. One of my teachers writes a thought from this book on the board each day to inspire her students. I gave copies of it to all my friends who are graduating now.
on January 5, 2003
This little treasury of wisdom is inexpensive, yet it's packed with hundreds of priceless thoughts you can use every day to enhance your life. Each quote in this collection is a gem, at once practical and thought-provoking.
I find the mini edition perfect for portable daily inspiration, and the expanded volume has become my most popular gift among friends and family.
This is a powerful book, beautifully presented, and the wisdom contained within speaks to any religion, any age, any situation. I recommend "Open Your Mind, Open Your Life" highly, any time you want to lift your spirits and refresh your soul.
on August 10, 2002
As far as collections of Buddhist wisdom go, this book is as good as it gets. Rare and unique quotations abound throughout the book. I like this book so much, I've given away more than 10 copies of it to friends and family members! I've also been eagerly awaiting the new larger volume of Open Your Mind, Open Your Life and have already ordered several copies of that as well.
on July 2, 2002
this is the first 'book of wisdom' that I have actually found fun to read. I enjoy just opening up to a random page each day and reading something from it. it always appeals to my life somehow at just the right time. I am looking forward to the larger volume II coming out in september as well.
on November 6, 2002
I received this book as a gift and have been giving away many copies of it to my friends and family ever since. It is the highest quality collection of wisdom I've ever seen, and reading through it always helps me feel better. It's incredible that such a large treasure chest of insight could fit into such a physically small book! Unlike many books of thought that have just a few words on blank backgrounds, this book is beautifully illustrated in full color and holds three or four thoughts per page. Each message is uplifting and profound. It's a great gift, small in size and huge in content.
on February 5, 2004
"Genuine happiness, or enlightenment, is already within us; we have only to reveal it. As spring water rushes through open earth, so happiness flows through open lives." - Taro Gold
In just a few words of a good quote, you see the big picture or universal truth. This is a collection of Eastern Wisdom and contains quotes by Buddhist and Eastern thinkers such as Nichiren, Lao Tzu, Confucius, and Mahatma Gandhi.
Taro Gold sees these quotes as "guideposts." He believes in having an open mind and in illuminating your life's path with wisdom from great thinkers.
Taro also includes:
The Buddhist concept of the Ten Worlds
Short Allegories
Short Biographical paragraphs of Historical Figures quoted in this book
Longer passages for reflection
Common Sense Quotes
Universal Truths
Eastern Wisdom
An Iris represents Faith, Hope, Wisdom and Valor. Not only is the cover beautiful and filled with this flower, the entire books is beautifully illustrated in an ornate fashion. Almost every page has a beautiful border and then the quotes are in black ink and easy to read on cream-colored paper.
I've been contemplating the reality of how we become what we think. Lately I've been watching how my own thoughts change my behavior.
Taro Gold has included a wonderful quote from Mahatma Gandhi about this:
"Keep your thoughts positive, because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive, because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive, because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive, because your values become your destiny."
This beautiful book will have me contemplating "thoughts" for a long time! An enjoyable collection of quotes to reflect on in moments when you want to think more deeply about life and your own journey to lasting happiness.
A book you will love adding to your collection.
An Iris represents faith, hope, wisdom and valor. Not only is the cover beautiful and filled with flowers, the entire books is beautifully illustrated in an ornate fashion. Almost every page has a beautiful border and then the quotes are in black ink and easy to read on the cream pages.

There are two books by Taro Gold with the same name. This is the first edition or tiny version: 96 pages; Dimensions (in inches): 0.49 x 3.76 x 3.28. Lest anyone think I am reviewing the same book, the last one was 132 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.52 x 5.30 x 5.36.

After finding this version, I think the smaller book is my new favorite. Not only is it much cuter, you can easily put it in a small purse or keep it in the pocket of your favorite coat.

I was looking for a copy of the original book for a relative and found the smaller book. This is an example of when less is more. For some reason, I enjoyed reading this book more than the larger version. Perhaps it seems easier to absorb the information in smaller bites.

Some of my favorite quotes:

"Become a master of words."

"To change our lives, we must first change our minds."

"The surest path is one dedicated to a greater cause."

I believe these must be the words of Taro Gold who writes extensively for Buddhist publications. Taro Gold has spent much of his life living overseas. He has traveled to over thirty countries and has lived in Australia, Spain and Japan. His thoughts reflect deep contemplation over life's purpose and how to live on this planet to encourage happiness in those around us.

For instance, he says: "Do something today to improve someone else's life." This could be easily accomplished by buying a book for all your friends and relatives for "just because" presents. I'm sending this to a relative on Monday who I think will just love the mini version.

Often I think we shelter ourselves from the wisdom of other cultures, religions and when we are more open to reading selections and thoughts, we can then deepen our own beliefs and add a beautiful new meaning to our lives. There are many universal truths and many are presented in this tiny book.

I love the page about achieving goals and the list of how negative actions arise from one or more of fourteen categories. The story about the stranded starfish being saved by a little boy is a beautiful way to illustrate hope.

It does seem we have been put on this planet to test our souls. This is a beautiful book which provides guidance and hope. I found reading the quotes to be a healing experience.

"Open Your Mind, Open Your Life" is calming to the soul and will encourage confidence, optimism, good judgment and courage.

~The Rebecca Review
on January 7, 2003
This book is one of my favorites. I keep it next to my bed and pick it up whenever I'm feeling down (and even when I'm not). No matter what kind of day I'm having there's always something in it that I can relate to and makes me feel better. No matter how bad I feel I always end up hopeful when I read from this.