From the Back Cover
Everything you need for OpenOffice.org, the best-selling StarOffice" Companion, adapted for OpenOffice.org
Includes the OpenOffice.org CD: OpenOffice.org official distribution, including great extras like macros and the Mac®OS beta distribution
For Windows, Linux, and Solaris platforms
Covers Writer, Web, Calc, Impress, Draw, databases and forms, and more
This practical, user-friendly insider's guide contains everything you need to install and learn OpenOffice.org today! With the OpenOffice.org Companion, you get the best-selling StarOffice"! Companion, adapted and updated for OpenOffice.org, plus the official OpenOffice.org CD, which includes software for all platforms and great extras!Imagine an office productivity suite that's powerful, easy to use, has great extras (like a drawing program and database connectivity), and is absolutely free! The OpenOffice.org Open Source Project's partnership with Sun Microsystems makes this a reality for millions of Linux®, Solaris®, and Windows® users.
Learn OpenOffice.org for the first time, or explore the great new features in this release. OpenOffice.org Companion also incorporates solutions to questions from hundreds of OpenOffice.org users, both beginners and pros, making this the most practical, task-based book available. It delivers clear, step-by-step instructions on what you need to do to get your job done.
You'll find comprehensive coverage of all this and more:
Great information across applications:
Conversion to and from Microsoft® and StarOffice 5.2 file formats
Installation and setup tips:
How to install for either single users or network installations, for all platforms, with detailed instructions and key trouble-shooting tips Migration tips for StarOffice 5.2 users
Power-user tips, including:
How to print spreadsheet headings on multiple pages, modify XML to edit the files or customize OpenOffice.org, and importing text files into spreadsheets
Quick Start tutorials:
Learn the key features of each application, plus procedures on customizing OpenOffice.org to make using it simple and productive
Comprehensive coverage of each application:
- WriterEditing, formatting, mail merge, printing to postscript and PDF, long documents, version control, and comparing documents
- WebCreating Web pages with AutoPilot, hotlinks, viewing and editing source- animated GIFs, and scrolling text marquees
- CalcFormatting, data entry and calculations in spreadsheets (including the function AutoPilot), scenarios, Goal Seek, exporting to HTML, and inserting spreadsheets in other documents
- ImpressCreating, designing, and delivering presentations, including custom presentations and animation
- Drawing and image-editing featuresUsing the vast array of drawing tools including 3D, connector lines for technical diagrams, editing raster graphics like photos, and exporting to formats like GIF, EPS, and SVG
- Connecting to data sourcesSetting up data-source connections to spreadsheets, Access, Oracle® and other databases via JDBC and other standard access methods. Plus creating mail merges documents and labels with the user-friendly AutoPilot
Want to learn how to get things done with OpenOffice.org? OpenOffice.org Companion is the practical, direct, expert guide you've been searching for, with all the software you need.
About the Author
Solveig Haugland has been writing, editing, and training for eleven years, helping newbies and techies alike learn about Java, accounting software, WebLogic, and of course StarOffice and OpenOffice.org. She's currently a technical trainer and author through getOpenOffice.org's web site (www.getopenoffice.org).
Floyd Jones has ten years of experience creating documentation and training materials for a wide range of software products including accounting software, golf course management, and WebLogic. He currently does project management and documentation for WebLogic and StarOffice.