Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

on January 3, 2011
I am a re-hashed mainfame operating systems guy who also did some support for Unix a decade ago. I bought this to play around with and was amazed at the ease of install compared to all of the dorking around I had to do with my last install of XP. I have not done as much as I thought I would at this point as my real job thinks that it takes a priority over playing with Linux. So my comments are 1) very easy install 2) connected to my wireless network with no problems 3) my wife liked the games 4) very inexpensive OS option if you wish to look at something besides MicroSoft or Apple.
on March 9, 2010
Wow, who would have thought that Unix would be a cool Windows-type operating system. For under $30 I have an OS that is as easy to use as Windows, already has Microsoft Office compatible Word Processing installed, and installed itself adding all the hardware (video and printer) drivers--no muss; no fuss! (actually, I had to replace my Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse with corded ones, but no problem! I don't need anything else to browse the Internet, download music, and play Youtube! Very cool.

This software set includes a training program which I still have to go through, but I'm jazzed!
on May 26, 2012
This operating system is the sort of operating system that you just put on and use for a very long time. It just does not break. ALL of the drivers for all goodies you can do with a computer are not there, but if you play big time games with a computer, you want the big time programs. It is an excellent business computer. It is an excellent introduction to Linux Operating System. This program provides you with more than merely the operating system and it would be a very good gift to a young person who wants to know more about programing and making the system do exactly what she/he wants it to do. At the same time, it is an excellent operating system for a small business. All the Linux system will allow you to mount them beside the Windows program, or allow you to wipe the old Windows and mount the Linux. If you have an old computer sitting around at work or home, mount a Linux on it and see what's cooking.
on April 6, 2011
I use frequently in tech support, and it's got just about everything there, instead of having to download and burn huge image files. And the reference material is great too!
on May 3, 2014
SUSE Multimedia is not "ready" to run, due to licenses or whatever. For comparison, Ubuntu does not have such problem. Multimedia runs just fine there after installation. But I needed Linux for programming, where the situation is reverse. Suse installs with all programming tools in place, while Ubuntu did not have C++ available.
However, if you have high speed connection, that does not matter, you download and install whatever you need.
I live in boonies, with modem connection. I cannot download a thing. So DVD must have all I need.
on June 1, 2011
openSUSE 11.4 is a great, Linux-based operating system. The box includes install DVDs for both 32-bit and 64-bit hardware. The install process is pretty straight forward and painless. The system runs great, I've installed both 32- and 64-bit versions. The former on an old PC and an old laptop and it ran fine. And I've installed the latter version on a brand new netbook with dual core 64-bit processor and it runs like a champ!

Using openSUSE is pretty straight forward and should not pose major challenges even for novices to Linux. That is not to say that there isn't a learning curve to switching to Linux. But then again, it's no different than learning how to use Windows 7.... But the big difference is that you can actually download openSUSE 11.4 for free and burn your own ISO images to DVD and not pay a penny for it -- and it's perfectly legal. Moreover, there are MANY free applications you can download and install for Linux. There is an application for just about anything -- from office suite to graphic and video editing software, to development tools, servers software, games, etc. Plus you can run it as a desktop while also running server software on you box. The possibilities are practically unlimited. The limits are really a function of your time and willingness to learn and get to know the system.

If you're tired of having to pay periodically for expensive software upgrades that really do not deliver much better performance then you owe it to yourself to give openSUSE a closer look. You won't regret it.
on April 30, 2015
At first there are difficulties running some quantum chemistry programs but fortunately all problems were solved.
so there is no complain.
on August 1, 2014
The four DVDs apparently are OK. The documentation is at least five years old, which I think is too old. Some of it is likely to be out of date.
on June 13, 2014
This product gets an "A" rating from me! Made it easy to start using OpenSUSE and the additional material was a big bonus.
on May 24, 2013
As a Linux system is it not as robust as Ubuntu, but very compact and fast. Blows any other operating system out the door on speed.