5.0 out of 5 stars The gradual rewards are the most meaningful
Published on November 27, 2010 by Emily Stagg

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of hooked on it.
If you like family "stuff" then this is okay. It makes you wish your family lived much closer together to "share" weekend dinners, get-togethers all the time. I almost can't stand Lauren Graham though, her acting style abrades. Monica Potter desperately needs better hairstyle. And there are the very soap-operay moments but I wind up coming back because...
Published 4 months ago by Penelope Barrett

5.0 out of 5 stars The gradual rewards are the most meaningful, November 27, 2010
This review is from: Parenthood: Season 2 (DVD)
I will give you that this is not a show where exciting things happen several times an episode. Rather, this is a show that does its best to imitate real life with its ups and downs, and consequently most of the storylines evolve gradually over the course of a season. However, that is what I love about this show. Much like "Six Feet Under" or "The Wire", where you need to watch several episodes to know whether or not you will like it, "Parenthood" takes a little bit of time. The viewers get to know the characters as three dimensional, flawed and lovable people much like their real life family members. Shows like "House" or "True Blood" are exciting at first, but quickly become routine as the viewer grows bored with the constant tricks and emotional thrills. As someone who watches a lot of different types of TV shows, I can say that for me, "Parenthood" is one of the best: a show that cares deeply about the integrity of its characters and does not sell its audience short by relying on cheap thrills and rollercoaster plot development.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best Show on Network Television..., April 20, 2011
This review is from: Parenthood: Season 2 (DVD)
As the second season of Parenthood comes to a close, it is clear that this show is simply THE best hour on network television. This is the most genuine, layered, heartfelt portrayal of family life and parenthood in primetime. Every week, the plotlines, writing, and character development are thoughtful and relevant... there is no need for melodramatic, soapy stories when the production and acting are top-notch. The way that the multiple storylines weave into one another is artful and carefully considered. There is a perfect balance between authentic heart and witty humor, thanks to the producers' insistence on improvisation between the actors. Bravo to the creators & production team!

Further, I am floored by this beautiful and talented cast of actors... from the stunning Lauren Graham, who has me in tears every week with her portrayal of flawed but brilliant Sarah Braverman, to the fantastic Peter Krause, whose rendering of Adam Braverman's role as a father is remarkable, down-to-earth, and not at all over-the-top (he so reminds me of my dad). Bonnie Bedelia and Craig T. Nelson handle their roles with such thoughtful skill and grace. Among other standouts are the marvelous Monica Potter and a remarkably talented group of young actors, including Mae Whitman, Sarah Ramos, and Max Burkholder.

The storylines in season two continue to prove that there is much creative energy left in this show... there is so much potential for further plot and character development. It is without question that the entire team behind Parenthood deserves serious recognition (where are the Emmy's?) and of course, a third season. Get watching-- you will be blown away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Show on TV, February 26, 2011
Erin "Erin" (OC, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parenthood: Season 2 (DVD)
Another reviewer said "I can say that for me, "Parenthood" is one of the best: a show that cares deeply about the integrity of its characters and does not sell its audience short by relying on cheap thrills and rollercoaster plot development."

I completely agree that this is not some cheap raunchy sitcom that throws some scandalous characters together for some "drama" and so-called "laughs". If you want that check out Modern Family or Desperate Housewives. The quality of the acting and insight to each character is fantastic. With each episode you feel more and more like you know the Bravermans, and it leaves you wanting more. My husband even loves the show because we can relate to it. It is an honest, well acted, well directed, well rounded cast that NEVER fails to entertain us. So if you can appreciate quality in acting and are not one that craves the scandalous junky drama, etc.. then you'd appreciate this show about a modern family that is colorful and imperfect, and so heartfelt. I give it 5 stars!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars parenthood season 2, December 19, 2011
This review is from: Parenthood: Season 2 (DVD)
This was a great buy at a good price. This was a wonderful series of family enertainment with great actors. It is so much like real life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Parenthood, December 8, 2011
In the 90's there were a hundred family drama's. Then in the 2000's we started coming out with the new aged drama's but drama along was never enough. Everyone had to be doctor's or family had to be running for office, people had to sell drugs or some other crud. All of those shows while good, focused more on topics that don't relate to the everyday person. Enter Parenthood. A show I avoided watching just because I hated Six Feet Under so much and Peter Krause was in that show as well.
Having watched both Season's 1 and 2 I can't name another "regular" television show I like more. While sure I love Game of Thrones and Dexter. Breaking Bad entertains me but it's not very relatable to the common person.
Again, Parenthood is perfect. I don't feel is strongly about the show as another reviewer who said, "If this show goes off the air I will literally no longer exist." But, I can say I really really like the show. I'd be said, but I'd go on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality family drama at its best, October 5, 2011
barry (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Parenthood: Season 2 (DVD)
PARENTHOOD is bringing back to television something that has been lacking for a while and that is a drama about regular middle class families and the trials and tribulations they deal with. There have been other family dramas over the years but often those were families with money where it was not a realistic display of day to day life. The ensemble cast here is also superb with Lauren Graham and Peter Krause shining in particular. The show will make you laugh and make you cry but most importantly you will be able to relate. Season one wrapped everything up with the final episode and here with season two the show truly hits its stride on all levels. The show also looks and sounds excellent here on dvd. The only weird thing is that the title song has been changed. Obviously they didn't have the licensing which is bizarre. But if you want to watch superb acting, excellent writing and story lines that represent every day life there is nothing better than PARENTHOOD. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a good show!, July 13, 2011
This review is from: Parenthood: Season 2 (DVD)
I love this show because it's realistic rather than a bomb going off or murders happening all the time like some other shows...... Lauren Graham is amazing in it and gorgeous as ever and the rest of the cast is equally idyllic in that they suit their roles to a tee! I can't wait for season three, four, five, six.............hope it lasts for a long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars best show on tv, June 22, 2011
steve knight (austin, tx United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parenthood: Season 2 (DVD)
i can't remember what friend told me about this show, but i owe them because i checked it out and quickly decided that it's the best show on tv. character development is genuine. the ensemble is magic. if you're looking for yuks, watch modern family. if you're looking for an authentic slice of american life, watch parenthood.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am hooked, April 14, 2014
I am in love with the Braverman family. The acting is so good and the lessons are not preachy. So realistic. I love it

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST SHOW!, April 14, 2014
I would give this show 15 stars if I could. I love it, I'm sad I waited so long to start watching!

Opening Night