4.0 out of 5 stars What a movie this would make, June 8, 2012
This review is from: Operation: Montauk (Kindle Edition)
Dinosaurs, Nazis, Time Travel and a lot of fun, that is what goes together when you read Operation Montauk. Having spoken with the author a bit about this book, I went out to find and read it and I pleasantly surprised. I find a lot of "pulp" scifi to be boring, derivative and formed of pieces of other better books. This was not the case with Bryan Young's story here. Its fresh, its fun, and full of a lot of great characters. As mentioned in other reviews the side characters are a bit more interesting than the leads but honestly, I didn't mind. Together they form a great group of characters I could not put down.

Great Job Bryan Young! When's your next book?

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy and Cloneasaurus, July 26, 2012
This review is from: Operation: Montauk (Kindle Edition)
who does not love time travel and dinosaurs? Throw in a love story and evil Germans.
this is what you get with Author Bryan Youngs latest offering. If you loved Lost At The Con as much as me
you will love this book. A true must read. What are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Like a literary Flinstone vitamin, July 5, 2012
This review is from: Operation: Montauk (Kindle Edition)
I really, really enjoyed Operation: Montauk. It took a few chapters to get into the meat of the story, which is fitting as the main character is finding his way in an unexpected land.

I don't want to give away anything more than what is already in the other reviews and description of the book. Yes there are Nazis and dinosaurs and time travel and romance and all sorts of things. There is drive behind the story that compels you to keep reading, guess what may happen to the characters, and then does something completely different in a good way.

The only criticism I have for the story is a difference of opinion regarding the ending. To me I clicked to go to the next page and was shocked to be at the end of the book. WAIT a minute I hollered, thinking I've got a bad file or a glitch or something... I was really upset to see the end of the book become apparent. I enjoyed the characters and the story entirely too much to see it come to an end without at least a "Coming soon, Part II"!

Kudos to Bryan Young for writing an engaging and interesting story!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Genre Busting Action Adventure!, July 5, 2012
This review is from: Operation: Montauk (Paperback)
Operation Montauk is a FANTASTIC Sci-Fi, Action, YA...to be honest; the only category it falls into is EXCELLENT. It defies genres. This novel is an intense, fast read cover to cover. I don't like spoilers so I'm not going to get into specifics but lets just say that the time travel model used here is something I have never read and/or experienced before. The kindle price is a steal at $3.99. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timetravel? Nazis? Dinosaurs? I'm there!, June 5, 2012
This review is from: Operation: Montauk (Kindle Edition)
When I heard the premise for this book I was immediately interested. Who doesn't want to see all of these things wrapped up in a single narrative?

And Young knocks it out of the park with a perfect, pulpy summer poolside read.

He also creates some amazing characters along the way, including a chimp and a sexy starship captain named Valentine.

My only criticism? The side characters are more interesting than the main character, much in the same way Han Solo is more interesting than Luke Skywalker.

I laughed, I cried (I did-- a little, at a death late in the book. I won't spoil it. But it's so sad.) I flipped pages as fast as I could on my e-reader as the story pulled me along at breakneck speed, and I was left wanting more-- something the ending of the book teases. . . that there might be a sequel?

I just hope they can use their time-travelling powers to go back and save poor (character who dies who made me cry).

4.0 out of 5 stars Time Machines, Dinosaurs & Nazis, What's Not To Love?, June 15, 2013
This review is from: Operation: Montauk (Kindle Edition)
Quite a fun read written in the old pulp fiction style. Big cast of characters that you'll generally care about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Entertainment, June 2, 2013
This review is from: Operation: Montauk (Kindle Edition)
In the interests of full disclosure, I know Bryan. We've been at several science fiction conventions together, have chatted on several occasions, and appeared on a few author panels at the same time. He was nice enough to sign a copy of Operation: Montauk for me at GMX in Nashville last year and it finally made it to the top of my "To be read" pile.

The story is well written and fast paced. I liked the innovative treatment of time travel, which is refreshing to see as that trope is really difficult to bring a fresh perspective to.

It was a quick read and I was able to complete it in a single sitting of about four hours with lots of action and character interaction.

As for criticism, the romantic element felt a little forced to me and the villains could have been developed more, but these are minor comments when compared to the overall entertainment the story provided.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, March 28, 2013
This review is from: Operation: Montauk (Kindle Edition)
This book has Nazis, time travel, dinosaurs, and a chimpanzee. What's more to say?

Oh yeah, it's a lot of fun. Definitely give it a read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Adventure Read, February 1, 2013
This review is from: Operation: Montauk (Kindle Edition)
I loved this story. It was a fresh very fun read, with enough meat to it that I didn't feel like I was re-reading another story with different names. I absolutely loved the characters, and found each of them very interesting. I especially liked Valentine and felt I could relate to her need to always seem in control no matter what she was feeling. Loved the way you wrote such a strong woman! Also, I thought the way you wrote about the injured Tyrannosaurus was akin to the spider in “Do androids dream of electric sheep”. I always think it is very clever if you can make a reader feel empathy to something usually thought of as scary, or disgusting, or even a predator. Also, your description of the raptors was a fresh take, at least for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Fun Read, December 28, 2012
This review is from: Operation: Montauk (Paperback)
It has been a while since I had this fun reading a book. The idea that those who brave time travel in various ages all end up in the same spot is rather fun and unexpected. Action packed from start to finish. I think that I could have used a bit more epilogue, but a good story always leaves you hungry for more. A thoroughly fun read.

Operation: Montauk