5.0 out of 5 stars Andrew Farley does it again!
As a believer in Christ and a pastor, I am grateful for those with the ability to plumb the enclaves of the Scriptures and emerge with pure gold for the Body of Christ to cash in on. Andrew Farley has continued that tradition as one of the finest communicators of the grace and truth of Jesus Christ in the church today.

In Operation Screwtape, Dr. Farley taps...
Published on December 21, 2012 by Jeremy D. White

3.0 out of 5 stars Will make you think
Honestly, I was not sure I really wanted to listen to this book when it came up for my review. It is called Operation Screwtape-- The Art of Spiritual War by Andrew Farley. I read what it was about and thought it sounded interesting, but it wasn't really in my type of books that I normally read or choose to listen to. But I decided I would give it a try since I have...
Published 23 months ago by Bethany

5.0 out of 5 stars Andrew Farley does it again!, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Operation Screwtape: The Art of Spiritual War (Hardcover)

In Operation Screwtape, Dr. Farley taps into the genius "Screwtape" creation of C.S. Lewis, giving us one of the most helpful and entertaining books on the subject of spiritual warfare that you will ever read. Helping us discover the absolute victory over spiritual darkness that has been secured for us by our Savior, we learn to rest more confidently in the fact that we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us!

Rather than diminish the reality of spiritual warfare on one extreme OR practically deify Satan and his demons by sensationalizing their powers on the other extreme, Farley offers Christ's church a sane, practical, creative and truly enjoyable read that will have you jumping with joy (at least on the inside) as Jesus helps you break free from the most common lies the enemy tries to tell you!

I have been extremely blessed and impacted by Dr. Farley's insights and ability to communicate top-shelf theological stuff with a clarity that all can grasp, understand and apply. Do yourself a favor and get this book! You are FREE from the power of the enemy. Learn how to live in that freedom more fully!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Wonderful, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Operation Screwtape: The Art of Spiritual War (Hardcover)
Can't tell you how much I loved this book. To be able to take a step back and see a glimpse of a war being waged and how its being waged. Taking a look at the way the Enemy himself knows ALL the richness we have in Christ and His work, and how he goes about to stop us from seeing it, understanding it, living it and even celebrating it. For me, I loved the little chapter on Celebration in the "Steal" section. I grew up in a hyper legalistic environment. Celebration itself was frowned upon, but the worse thing was, I didn't know there was anything to really celebrate. If anything it was truly a "hey, come and be miserable, like me!". But this grace, that the Enemy tries to distract us from, this grace and this Life....there is so so much to celebrate over, to rejoice in.

Like I said, I loved this book. It's just wonderful. Do yourself a favor and buy a copy. Buy more copies to give away. And do yourself an even bigger favor, buy some of Dr. Farley's other books and read them. I have read them multiple times now and each time my understanding deepens and I learn to walk in the grace of Christ.

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Operation Screwtape: The Art of Spiritual War (Hardcover)
stunningly insightful, clearly articulated & a treasure to read - a timeless classic already. this is the kind of book that sticks to your bone marrow, even years & decades after reading it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic in the making, January 15, 2013
This review is from: Operation Screwtape: The Art of Spiritual War (Hardcover)
I first read C.S. Lewis's The Screwtape Letters back in 2006, and I loved it. Not long after that first trip through the book, I led a summer book study with a group of women in my parish.

The first time I read Screwtape, it was audio. The voice of the narrator was perfect in all the right creeporific ways. It struck me as one of the best examinations of conscience I had found (not that I had looked very hard at that point). It made me consider sin in a whole new way and think about angels and demons - especially demons - as workers with a stake in things, and as forces that I can beat, but not alone. It made me see the need for God in my life ever more, ever more.

The second time I read it, I was reading more carefully. Since I had listened to the audio version the first time, different things leapt out at me when I went back through it with the book study. I was again struck by the fact that this was, in effect, a description of ME, and it was a starting place for an examination of conscience.

I haven't followed all the books in this vein, but when I come across them, I usually jump on them. Back in 2010, I read Fr. Dwight Longenecker's The Gargoyle Code: Lenten Letters between a Master Tempter and his diabolical Trainee and found it delightful (it warrants a reread, come to think of it, especially with Lent coming soon).

Imagine my delight to hear about Andrew Farley's new book, Operation Screwtape: The Art of Spiritual Warfare.

It is, in a word, wonderful. Of course, that's wonderful in a "terrifying, hilarious, little-too-true-to-be-fun" way.

In keeping with Lewis's brilliant tradition, this book was helpful as a guide to force me to dive into my examination of myself and my sins. It made me rethink some things that I know I've slipped into taking for granted.

Take this passage, for example, from Chapter 8:

In this chapter we unlock winning concepts to steal away a patient's time, achieving a significant negative effect on his long-term development. Using refined targeting, it is possible to busy a patient and send him off like a rat scurrying through an endless maze. But as fun as this may sound, it is always vital that you move based on accurate intelligence to ensure efficacy. Having synthesized the current data in our archives, we outline for you here two of the best approaches to thieving away a patient's time to the delight of Our Father Below.
- - -

The chapter goes on to outline the strategies and yes, it made me smile even as I was groaning. The two areas of focus are "the Enemy's Will" and "divining the future." The tempters, it seems, are to make us obsess over what God's will is for us to the distraction of actually doing what needs done. We are then to worry so much about the future that we fail to be in the present.

Excuse me while I slap my forehead. Guilty!

In Chapter 9, at the very end, is a passage that is worth printing and rereading (at least for me):

Always keep them searching for more. Yes, they already have everything they need for life and godliness. Yes, they already have been blessed with every spiritual blessing in the One. But we must take captive any thoughts of that sort and keep them in a haze of doubt, wondering, How can I get more faith? How can I get more love? Don't I need more of these before I can truly begin living from the Life?

If they knew the riches of the Life they possess, they would stop seeking and start living. But if we do our job well, they will squander the opportunity to give thanks for the faith and love right under their noses.

So keep them perpetually searching. Fix their eyes on a future hope of more. They won't even begin to imagine that a full infusion of the Life has already occurred and that they are complete. They won't realize they have all the faith and love they ever need. They won't see that their hope is now.
- - -

This book speaks to so much about life and the struggles we all face. It isn't written to send you to Confession, but I found it inspired me to go--it was the final nudge I needed to finally go.

I'll be sharing this book, and, as I did with Screwtape Letters, I will probably have to buy another copy after I lend it and lose it. But it's worth it. There's a message in this book that needs to be widely read and, even more importantly, widely believed and acted upon.

Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for those Christians who are serious about following Jesus, January 16, 2013
Andrew Farley obviously has great insight into what motivates and drives the deceiver of our souls. Too many of us are caught up in trying to accomplish under our own strength and efforts. This book is a great tool for avoiding the pitfalls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant, January 13, 2013
I really enjoyed this audiobook a lot, as it was very well read and written. As I like the original Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, I was very glad that this is as good. This works on several levels, as a very humorous story to listen to, as a teaching audio on spiritual warfare, but also as a refreshing audio about the goodness of God and his wonderful grace.
The narrator David Cochran Heath is absolutely brilliant and perfect for this audio. His evil voice with his menacing laugh and instructions to his demon agents was very believable. He really made me laugh quite a few times during this audio, and I imagine more than if I'd read the print version of this book. I would definitely recommend this audio to anyone who likes the original Screwtape and to other listeners too. Thanks to christianaudio.com Reviewer's Program for this copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars .Real help and real relief...for those seeking Jesus., January 12, 2013
This review is from: Operation Screwtape: The Art of Spiritual War (Hardcover)
Operation Screwtape is like having the other team's playbook and then discovering the other team has nothing...nothing that you as one who has placed his child like faith in Jesus need ever fear again. It may affect you differently, but as for me it only affirms that those fears that had so dominated my life as a believer are all based on a lie and they melt away in the Truth, Jesus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, December 21, 2012
This review is from: Operation Screwtape: The Art of Spiritual War (Hardcover)
I first read The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis when I was a new believer over 10 years ago. It really enhanced my knowledge of Satan's lies and armed me for spiritual attacks I would face later. I have always been grateful I took the time to read it. Now, Andrew Farley has written a sequel of sorts to The Screwtape Letters. What a treat! Let me just tell you: this book is exquisite! It allows the reader to get a behind the scenes look at many of the common tactics and schemes that the devil uses to deceive believers and rob them of their joy in this modern age of Christian teaching. Followers of Jesus Christ should be living joyful and victorious lives, but we keep getting tripped up. Operation Screwtape: The Art of Spiritual War is an exposé on the cause of all this! The back of the book says it all: KNOW THE ENEMY! ANTICIPATE THE ATTACK! This is a truly brilliant work. Although it can be mind-bending and challenging at times, stretching the limits of what you think you already know, it's a quick read and worth every second as you explore the secrets your enemy never hoped you would discover. The result is a deeper understanding of the finished work of Jesus Christ! I thank God for this book. As it is written, "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that the family of believers throughout the world is undergoing the same kind of sufferings." KNOW THE ENEMY! ANTICIPATE THE ATTACK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, January 15, 2013
scout1968 (Lincoln, Nebraska, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Operation Screwtape: The Art of Spiritual War (Hardcover)
This is not a book for those Christians who want their spiritual food chewed for them. Farley has created a new classic about spiritual warfare. His insight and articulate writing cannot be bested. I am thoroughly enjoying this fine spiritual book. Farley is, indeed one of the new Christian voices presenting new and revelatory ways in which Christians may live a more Christ like life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheds light on what's going on around you, January 9, 2013
Hammock Librarian (Paraguay, South America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Operation Screwtape: The Art of Spiritual War (Hardcover)
Picking up where C.S. Lewis's Screwtape Letters ends, Operation Screwtape is the transcription of secret documents recovered from the dark realm, never meant to be seen by humans. Read as a tactical war manual, the book outlines various techniques that Satan's minions (dragons) can employ in the war for men's souls (patients).

The superior who wrote this manual is careful to explain ways in which the plans can go awry, and what should be done in each circumstance. A prologue in the beginning sets the tone for how this manual came into the hands of Dr. Andrew Farley, detailing the risk the translator took in publicizing what he'd found.

Although this is obviously a fiction book, the methods of spiritual warfare described in its pages are clearly part of the real battles raging around us each day. By thinking about our world in terms of our enemy's tactics to steal, kill, and destroy us, the author sheds light on how to avoid the traps of the enemy and engage in what is going on in the lives of our friends and family. In this way, a very entertaining book also serves as an important weapon.

I listened to an audio version of the book, and the voice of narrator David Cochran Heath was perfect, oozing villainy and disdain. I could almost see the military leader behind this manual grimacing as he referenced holy things, and snarling as he issued evil threats to his inferiors.

Chapters were short enough to take in small bites, then stop and digest what I'd heard. Listening to them with my family led to some great conversations on how the enemy of our souls works, and how we can recognize and avoid his schemes.

PARENTAL RATING: PG. I highly recommend this book for teens and adults, and with some guidance, children might also enjoy the audio version or hearing it read aloud.

I received a copy of this book from christianaudio.com in exchange for my honest review.

Operation Screwtape: The Art of Spiritual War
Operation Screwtape: The Art of Spiritual War by Andrew Farley (Hardcover - January 15, 2013)
Used & New from: $1.98