From the Inside Flap
It was, argues celebrated historian John Koster, part of a deep Soviet plotOperation Snow”to divert the Japanese into fighting the Americans rather than the Russians.
Even more startling, Koster reveals how Harry Dexter White, one of Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s most important men in the Treasury Departmentand also a Soviet spywas a key figure in the plot.
In Operation Snow Koster reveals:
- The previously neglected (and untranslated) sources that expose the Soviet conspiracy
- How Harry Dexter White got away with one of the most devastating acts of treason in American history
- How Japan and the United States were manip¬ulated by Russian agents and propaganda
- Why, if Operation Snow had failed, the Soviet Union might have collapsed under the com¬bined might of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan
- Stalin’s unwitting stoogehow FDR’s Secretary of the Treasury was manipulated to promote policies that provoked war with Japan
- It didn’t end with Pearl Harbor: how Harry Dexter White continued to act as a Soviet agent into the postwar era, until exposure prompted a disguised suicide.
Full of shocking detail, Operation Snow is a riveting exposé of an extraordinary intelligence operation that radically altered the Second World War, with consequences that are almost impossible to measure.
Think you know the story of Pearl Harbor? You don’t know the full story until you read Operation Snow.
From the Back Cover
I found Operation Snow to be an irresistible page-turner. The attack exacted a terrible toll on both countries and changed the world forever. It is important to understand why that happened. Koster has made a significant contribution.”
Admiral Ronald J. Hays USN (Ret), former commander in chief Pacific Forces
To paraphrase Cicero, a nation can survive its fools and even the ambitious, but, as a rule, it cannot survive treason from within, especially when the traitorin this case Harry Dexter Whiteis allowed to lead the fools and the ambitious. The U.S. survived. It’s a cautionary talethe exception that proves the rule.”
Thomas K. Kimmel Jr., former FBI agent, Pearl Harbor scholar, grandson of Admiral Husband Kimmel
Fascinating and compulsively readable. What a book! The House Un-American Activities Committee transcripts are arresting in their exposure of White’s duplicity.”
Louise Barnett, Ph.D., professor of American Studies, Rutgers University, author of Atrocity and American Military Justice in Southeast Asia and Touched by Fire
John Koster’s Operation Snow opens a whole new window on the Russian role in fomenting Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor to safeguard Russia’s eastern front.”
Edward H. Bonekemper III, Civil War historian, author of Grant and Lee
This book is important because Harry Dexter White was the most dangerous traitor in American history.”
Mikhail Smirnov, MA, Moscow University, former Soviet soldier