Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Opiate Cure: Pain and the Bipolar Spectrum
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 9, 2012
Having bipolar disorder and dealing with pain issues this book put it altogether for me.I try to stay educated on my medical issues, but this book described "the whole person" for the first time instead of the typical symptom oriented medical articles. Now the challenge is to get all my doctors to see me as a "whole person" instead of a specific set of symptoms that fall within their field of specialty.
on August 5, 2012
I am so glad this book finally came out in an e-reader format. I think when it was first released, it was in a Kindle format and then they removed it. I have read this doctor's other books on chronic pain and he is now considered a leading expert on debilitating pain and its relief. I have been to see him before and his waiting room is packed with people in pain, from fibromyalgia, depression, chronic migraines, back pain, neck pain, chronic pain syndrome and even PTSD and OCD. They are all there to get relief and he has had incredible success in pain management and often can clear the pain altogether. I know people come to him from all over the world for treatment and his books are extremely well-written and a must read for patients, pain sufferers, and therapists.
on May 28, 2013
This book was a surprise to me. Having read a lot about bipolar disorder, this introduced a whole new perspective for treatment and healing for it. By the time I finished the book I was quite convinced the doctor was right on, and had discovered something absolutely crucial for the treatment options available for bipolar disorder. This is a really terrific read!
on November 14, 2012
These Books, and Doctor Cochran are by themselves Amazing,Intriguing,Understanding, and DO WORK.
I've been on Medications of sorts since i was 10 years old and nothing has worked, helped, or improved my life in any way, more than anything, most "treatments" only made me worse. Finally, at age 20 my psychiatrist had told me that i'd finally been diagnosed with Borderline personality disorder (amongst other things) and that the medications i'd been prescribed for years werent working because i needed "talking" therapy. Because i had problems taking the medications on time/as directed.. missing a dose would more often then not "Make me crazy" or set me back a year! I'd never held a job, i lived with my parents, was unable to deal or function in society whatsoever... Then, After meeting and being in the care of Dr. Cochran..just with the simple tweak and use of medication that was "take as needed", the stress of missing a dose for one, allowed me to even try it, because i had given up any anti-depressants or anti-psychotics for fear that i'd only get worse, or that i'd be ok for a month or 2 only to fail or get knocked back down my step ladder. I've been under his care for almost 3 years, and in that time.. i've held a job, have a car and my own house and through all the stress and issues i've had during those 3 years, nothing has been able to " set me back" or Fail! This OPIATE CURE, REALLY AND TRULY WORKS! But only for those who can and will let it! Never Abuse the situation, medication or doctors trust, because thats what ruins it for the rest of the world! But people who 'Self-medicate' they have a clue as to why they want this medication so badly, it obviously works! If only some were given the chance to improve themselves the way they're trying to, without doing it illegally, then maybe they'd also have a chance at a REAL life. Thank you Doctor Cochran! Even tho you're retiring in practice, i'll keep watching for your books!
on September 20, 2013
With all of the confusion: media noise, war on drugs, misinformation; it is comforting to find Dr. Cochran standing strong as a voice of reason. Anyone suffering from chronic pain, or anyone that works in a field that deals with pain management should read this book.
The stories are told with heart and in plain English.
As someone struggling with chronic pain and bipolarty for two decades, this book, along with Curing Chronic Pain, has restored hope for me.
on June 11, 2012
This book is informative and filled with hope for sufferers of bipolar disorder. When read in progression, Dr. Cochrans' 3 books follow the progression of his learning about these disorders and their link to chronic pain in a logical fashion. His willingness to challenge the status quo is both courageous and compassionate. Having suffered from bipolar disorder my entire life, these books and the information contained in them have given me hope that a normal life is possible for me and others like me. These books are a must read for people with mental disorders. Thank you Dr.
on February 1, 2014
Don't let the title put you off. A controversial topic indeed, but it's one that is all too important & cannot be ignored.
With a suicide happening about every 18 seconds, any & every option for treatment should be considered. This absolutely should be without a doubt, MANDATORY READING for all doctors in the field of mental health (or not) AND for anybody that has been unsuccessfully treated for Major/Refractory Depression/Bipolar disorder or chronic debilitating pain.
This book will bring you hope when you're certain all is lost. This book literally saved the life of somebody I love and care for dearly and could not live without.- And within these pages are countless heart-wrenching personal accounts of people saved from a life of suffering & despair, certain to become another statistic.
Closed-mindedness is a trait that has no room in the field of medicine. Ignorance kills, and keeps killing.
If you are a doctor and are currently scoffing at this book and perhaps my remarks; Read it first, then (and only then) you can decide whether to continue making that face & place it on your shelf with your collection of fiction OR
to share the knowledge you've acquired with your colleagues and begin treating & saving lives.
(In the time it took me to write this, more than 20 people have taken their lives. Not because they wanted to die but because they couldn't tolerate the pain a single minute longer.
on May 13, 2012
In this book, the author looks at a surprising finding he has stumbled across in potentially curing debilitating mental disorders and chronic pain in general. The author is a doctor who shares his cases in terms a non-medical reader can understand. Some people are very close minded to the idea that opiates (including Methadone, Hydrocodone, and Morphine) can aid with mental illnesses. Dr. Cochran prescribes these drugs in very small doses that are not at the addictive level at all. This book offers hope and is worth the read.
on November 10, 2012
When I started with the book, I wasn't too excited as I had no-one who is suffering from bi-ploar disorder. Half the way down, I am turned on. The book has good stories which make you understand the pain the people faced. The book also helps you in understanding pain, body's response to pain, the cure, the approach to treatment and much more.

I really loved the book, coz, doctor himself has faced the pain and explains his approach to handling it. Good and highly informative.
on September 22, 2012
This is a pretty pedestrian book about an interesting subject. The author claims to have cured both chronic pain and bipolar disorder with opiates. He offers no real reason for why he makes these claims, but does offer lots of case histories to back them up. I found myself wanting more than what was offered; some sort of explanation of his claims would have been nice. Even if it was speculation it would have been nice to have. I also found it a little bit condescending to have him use the phrase "that's the bipolar way" several times, especially because he used it to dismiss some 'non-compliant' behaviors.