Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Oprah Talks Kindle On This Friday's Show...Can Mean Only One Thing...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 23, 2008 3:11:00 AM PDT
R. Bowden says:
That's right folks, Kindle Version 2 available for order immediately after show airs on east coast. I'm all in.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 3:23:18 AM PDT
Leo B. says:
That will kind of suck since I decided not to wait 3 or more months for the "not until sometime in 2009" update and expect delivery of mine today. Obviously I can return it and get the new one instead. It's just the nuisance and hassle of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 3:30:32 AM PDT
R.B.:

I'd sure be interested to know how you came to that conclusion.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 3:38:44 AM PDT
Alyson D says:
Sounds to me like there is going to be a surge in the demand for the current kindle after she chooses it as her favorite gadget. Glad I've got mine already. (I don't think it means a new version at all.)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 4:45:58 AM PDT
A. Durnal says:
All it means is that Oprah is doing a 1 hour commercial on the Kindle 2 months before Christmas.

There is no Kindle 2, there probably won't even be a Kindle 2 until there is color e-ink.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 5:08:46 AM PDT
http://www.amazon.com/ref=br_ss_null

Go here and watch the video. I think Oprah's favorite "new" gadget is the Kindle we all own and love.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 5:28:01 AM PDT
Chris Dudley says:
Actually, just watched the video again and if you pause/play at the beginning of the video there is a flash over the Kindle but I was able to see it once without the flash (not sure how) but it showed Oprah wearing the same outfit throughout the clip and it is our Kindle, the Grey back with white side is very recognizable. R. Bowden, I am afraid you are incorrect, she is not mentioning a new Kindle rather just getting more people interested in the Kindle we have.
I agree with Alyson, I am glad I got it when I did because this could make it very difficult to find one... This is one bandwagon that I want everyone to hop on.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 5:32:18 AM PDT
Souther says:
I agree, I watched the video and she appears to be holding our dearly beloved K. I'm also VERY glad I have mine, I do think there'll be a run on them.

Rather than a new version, though, I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Oprah announce Amazon has LOWERED the price a bit for the holidays. I expect a holiday price discount (maybe to $299?) anyway, would make sense to coordinate that with an Oprah feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 5:54:08 AM PDT
all this really means is that Oprah's Seal of Approval has been achieved for the device and Amazon - sure fire sales - REGARDLESS of MODEL - whether she is showing Kindle v1 or 2.0 - thousands of devices will be sold on her recommendation alone!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 5:59:53 AM PDT
M Gerrish says:
I'm with others. It doesn't mean that Kindle 2.0 is at hand. It means that most books will make a transition to Kindle version much more quickly, thank you, Oprah.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 6:11:30 AM PDT
Kim Griffith says:
This is from another thread...but might clear things up.

Meemo says:
If it's going to be a Kindle on her show, it will apparently be the current version.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Amazon_CFO_New_Kindle_will_wait_until_2009/1224710500 (dated Oct 22)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 6:18:18 AM PDT
Leo B. says:
So if they lower the price on Monday in response to her show do folks who just bought have a 30 day price guarantee or any such thing?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 6:18:54 AM PDT
gotta give Amazon credit for sticking to thier story - for months now regardless of all web rumors the next version of the Kindle won't be out until 2009 - but hey why believe a CFO - he's just looking out for the bottom line ...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 6:20:20 AM PDT
txkimmers says:
Everyone in that audience is going to go home with one, whichever version it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 6:22:01 AM PDT
L Bricker - I would assume so since Amazon did honor THE 30 DAY policy before - if your purchase date for the Kindle was within 30 days or less of the date of the price drop - you did need to call Amazon (or use the click to call link to have them call you) and the would process the refund to your method of payment while you were on the phone ...

they were strict with THE 30 DAY policy - if your purchase date was 31 days you were SOL on this one ...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 6:22:41 AM PDT
SLR says:
Everyone in the audience will probably get a free one though. So jealous.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 6:25:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2008 8:10:53 AM PDT
I already have mine ... loved it long before the Oprah endorsement ... just glad I'm not going to be trying to buy mine right after she shows the device off ...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 6:28:10 AM PDT
Souther says:
Amazon CFO: New Kindle will wait until 2009
By Angela Gunn, BetaNews
October 23, 2008, 12:18 AM
2:56 pm PDT October 22, 2008 - Amazon's third-quarter earnings call had plenty of positive things to say about their success with the Kindle e-book reader. Good thing the company's happy with it, because it'll be the one and only Kindle for the remainder of the year.

CFO Tom Szkutak confirmed during this afternoon's call that there will be no newer model of the Kindle reader until 2009.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 6:46:12 AM PDT
I'm thinking that from now on, all Oprah's Book Club books will be available on Kindle, if they aren't already!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 6:56:19 AM PDT
Even "if" (and that's a BIG if) Oprah were to introduce Gen2, the REAL Good News here is that when Oprah talks, publishers listen. If Oprah is onboard, then more will likely be published on Kindle, any version. And that's what I really care about. :-D

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 7:31:24 AM PDT
Khabita says:
And I bet Oprah will have them pre-loaded with a bunch of her Book Club selections, O Magazine, and stuff by Dr. Oz.

How cool! I love Oprah! I wish I could be there in the audience tomorrow, with my Kindle!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 7:35:41 AM PDT
Souther says:
O Magazine is not available on Kindle - now how's Oprah going to justify THAT?!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 7:39:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2008 7:49:35 AM PDT
Meemo says:
Eclectic,
My thoughts exactly - if sales went up after The View (and I believe they did), imagine how much they'll go up with Oprah's endorsement. Glad I have mine already (I would hope Amazon has prepared for the increase in demand) - it will be interesting to watch. I might have to watch the Oprah message boards to see what the response is there.
As far as pricing goes - wonder if they might drop the price again based on the idea that they'll sell so many more (I understand about supply & demand, but I also understand about amortization over time & units sold). I've been thinking about getting one for my husband and maybe my other daughter (if she's interested) - could happen if the price came down again. It's a happy thought, anyway, until Friday's show airs...
Oh, and for the record I don't think it's a new version - I think it the one I know & love based on the info I read yesterday.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 7:55:56 AM PDT
Meemo says:
Y'know, I would've sworn I saw a Kindle edition of her magazine yesterday - now I don't see it. I noticed because I thought it might not be such a great thing to read on the Kindle because there are so many beautiful pics in the magazine. You never know, tho, she might announce that it's going to become available on the Kindle at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008 8:09:55 AM PDT
I would think her articles would be Kindle worthy reading ... but all those pic files ... great now everyone will be expecting color!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  Oct 23, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 24, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions