5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner!!!
Published on March 16, 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars INSIDIOUS!
The boorish broad from Baltimore strikes again! What makes this book so insidious is the way that the heroine peppers her pseudo-intellectual do-goodisms with an underlying capitalist mentality. Given her background, she should know better. Shame on you girl!
Published on March 15, 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars A Winner!!!, March 16, 1999
By A Customer
This book really gets to the heart of what Oprah is all about. The book is filled with quotes taken from Oprah's childhood and throughout her entertainment career. The quotes are inspiring because they allow you to figure out ways to relate them to your own life. Janet Lowe's biography about Oprah is a very likeable book because it presents such topics as fame, fear, fortune, and family. To hear Oprah talk about her perfections and imperfections and how she is coping with them makes you feel like saying, 'If Oprah can do it, I sure can'. There is extensive research as her endnotes suggest. The book is an easy read and a good choice for people who are looking for a little more motivation in their everyday lives. The only thing that this book does lack is finding new, unique information about the talk show host/movie star/producer. Other than that, it is a winner! If you've ever watched her show on TV and heard Oprah say something that caught your attention, but ten minutes later couldn't remember it, then this book has it for sure. I recommend this book, especially for women. (Makes a great gift too!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Oprah Winfrey is the Strong Voice of the American Woman, November 22, 2000
Sabuyen (Concord, NH, USA) - See all my reviews
Hello, My name is Sabuyen and I am from Hokkaido, Japan. ...Itruly enjoy this book becase Oprah Winfrey represent all strongintelligent woman in America. In this book you shall read all herinsight and charm. Perhaps I am more awareness becase of a childhoodin Japan, where it is vey different to be a woman.
This is the firstlong book I have read in English. It took me a vey long time to read,but please belive, it was worth every minute. I am delight to alsodiscover that there is a "cassete" version of this bookavalable on www.amazon.com. I shall listen as I ride the bus orexercise.
When you read this book you shall feel power and energyfrom Oprah. She think positive, despite a difficult background, andshe has work hard for what she have. Here Oprah does share her wisdomand intelligence. It is very plain to see.
Oprah, if you are readthis, please know that you are my hero and roll model, and for everyother woman in America. You have give so much to all.
If anyone wishto read more about me, please read my profile. Love, Sabuyen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Change your life! If Oprah did it, you can too!, March 30, 2001
This review is from: Oprah Winfrey Speaks: Insights from the World's Most Influential Voice (Paperback)
When I think of Oprah, I think of "awareness." Her presence on earth is to bring us all to the awareness of our potential. If you want to know more about her life, Janet Lowe will take you on a journey through Oprah's life. Within a few hours you will see Oprah in a whole new light.

What I find most fascinating about Oprah is her love of reading and quotes. Those are things I can relate to well. Now it seems, I have been collecting "Oprah quotes!" Throughout this book you will find Oprah's wisdom presented in an organized fashion in sections so they relate well to the topic.

Oprah speaks from a background of adversity. The events of her life have changed her, yet she has decided to take charge of her destiny and become a positive influence. Her background is almost shocking when you think of who she has become. The contrast is sharp and it is very apparent that she drew on an inner strength.

The book begins with details of Oprah's roots in Mississippi and her educational background. There is a discussion of "Harpo" and how she deals with her fame and fortune. Her generosity is impressive and her efforts for children's rights are commendable.

There are some things in life money can never replace. I was saddened by some aspects of her life and see how her own sorrow, abuse and lack of a loving relationship with her own parents early in life influenced her. Some of the best things in life are free. Money helps, but I don't think it heals the longing we all have for love.

Oprah's love of reading has encouraged others to delve into knowledge and better themselves. She also enjoys writing in a "gratitude" journal. Janet Lowe brings out the positive and negative aspects of Oprah's life. With more than 22 million American viewers hanging on her every word, she continues to have the instinctive knack of feeding their desire to find meaning in life.

Oprah started me reviewing because after seeing Gary Zukav on her show, I wanted to know more about the books she was talking about and knew others would also want to know more. I thought maybe I could help others see what was in his books.

Oprah sent me on a journey to delve into the minds of our time. A journey of discovery I have just started on! For that I thank her.

~The Rebecca Review

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent insight, October 11, 2002
I believe that books of thsi nature are to show and elucidate hwo certain kinds of peopel think and act. I think that the consumer shoudl remember that most of these books are gleaned and compiled from interviews, articles and TV quotes not the person directly. Which means that things can be taken out of context or contrary events can be exampled to a person's time static comment.
All the same, this book is pretty good for insight in Oprah and her thoughts on some issues as well as maturely seeing how her opinion has grown/matured over the years.
A good subject makes a good book but this isn't the indepth exploration of Oprah that one may hope. Perhaps in some ways she can't truly be seen in any other context as she has a show where she talks about herself and her experiences. Only a book absolutely written by her could ever truly reveal her. Someone truly interested in her thoughts will have to wait for that day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oprah's story straight from the horse's mouth, February 26, 2010
rmcrae (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
Don't be surprised if you look up "American Dream" and find Oprah Winfrey's picture smiling back at you. Of course I know that word (or is it phrase since it's 2 words?) isn't in the dictionary, but you know what I mean. Born a poor black girl in the Deep South and raised by a grandmother who gave her the key to her success: education, she overcame poverty, sexual abuse, the death of a child, a broken relationship with her mom, racism, and sexism to become one of (if not the) the richest women in the world. This book, mixed with a flowing narrative and quotes from Oprah herself, details her journey from a victim to a survivor. Topics include fame, the value of an education, books, love, self esteem, prejudice, and spirituality. A few quotes from her friend Gayle, her father, and a few others also pepper the text for a more round view of Oprah. Some quotes make you sad and some make you smile, but you'll feel inspired and know that you can do anything you want. If Oprah can, why not you?

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite person, December 13, 2012
such wisdom and life story. she is inspirational and that she gives so much to others is impressive. we need more people like her in this world.

1.0 out of 5 stars INSIDIOUS!, March 15, 2000
By A Customer

Oprah Winfrey Speaks: Insights from the World's Most Influential Voice
Oprah Winfrey Speaks: Insights from the World's Most Influential Voice by Oprah Winfrey (Paperback - January 22, 2001)
$34.95 $25.55