Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 18, 2010
I recently bought a Canon EOS Rebel XS camera and I purchased the Opteka LP-E5 battery on Amazon as a backup.
I performed the following unscientific test to compare the Opteka battery to the Canon battery that came with the camera.
I set my camera on a tripod and aimed it at one corner of the room. I chose raw & fine Jpeg as the picture format. Since the camera was aimed at a single place, the auto focus motor didn't come into play but I set the camera up so that it would always fire the flash. I plugged in the remote shutter release, locked it down, and walked away. I had to purge the 8GB memory card once, but eventually the battery was drained. After doing this for both batteries I got the following result.

The Canon battery lasted for 1303 pictures and the Opteka for 952 pictures.

For 1/3 the price, the Opteka battery took almost 3/4 (73%) as many pictures as the Canon battery. To me that spells bargain; I will be buying more of the Opteka battery.

Your results may vary.
77 comments| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 7, 2009
Having a new camera for taking pictures of museum artifacts (primarily), I needed spare batteries to "feed my flash." Problem was that the OEM battery (Canon) was ~$70 USD each which would reduce the number of spares I could pack. Also, the OEM charger was AC only, so would not allow for recharging while in transit. Opteka to the rescue! Inexpensive batteries and a dual AC & DC charger fit my needs exactly. I used the batteries for all day shooting of museum aircraft (lots of flash usage) and they performed at least as well as the OEM battery. Recharging was quick also, being less than 90 minutes in the car, so I could always have charged batteries on hand. Excellent value and performance overall, highly recommended for the amateur photog, perhaps even for the pro. Didn't try the Opteka batteries in the Canon wall-charger as I was the Opteka charger, so cannot comment on capability. I recommend the charger & battery combination anyway because of the DC car plug.
on May 27, 2009
I just got 2 of these in the mail. They fit my Canon Rebel XS perfectly, just like the OEM battery. They also WORK! :) The only reason I give it 4 stars instead of 5, is that you don't get 1800mHa. I got 1080mHA's, which is the same as the OEM battery. Whatever. For $9.95, these are much better than the $45 Canon batteries! Opteka is a great brand and I trust them for sure.
on December 8, 2009
The battery is as pictured. It has 1800mAh stamped on the battery itself. That withstanding, the battery lasts a bit longer than my original canon battery as it should being 1800mAh vs the canon original 1080mAh battery (mAh=milliamp Hours).
This battery is used in my "Canon Rebel T1i camera with attached Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens" (which I also purchased from Amazon, by the way).
I have been using this battery a few weeks now and have had no problems with it.

I ordered the battery from Amazon and received it in a timely manner.
Indeed, for $12.95 you can't go wrong in purchasing this battery.
on July 6, 2009
works perfectly, but doesn't last nearly as long as the canon's original battery. would make a great emergency back-up battery. if you think you're getting the same product, you're not! you get what you pay for.
on February 24, 2010
I had this for 3 months now, no problem so far. Look and feel a bit cheap, but fit well with my Canon T1i. Battery last about 80% as long as comparable Canon original battery. When taking pics, Flash or no-Flash, I can not tell the difference between these batteries. For the price, which include both battery and charger, it is a good value as a backup IMHO.
on February 3, 2010
I bought this as a back-up for my Canon battery, for when I'm out and about. It doesn't quite give you the same amount of photos as the Canon, but for the price, as compared to a Canon, it is certainly adequate. Very pleased with it.
on September 3, 2013
One reviewer said that this works as well as the OEM Canon battery but for less money. I was enthused with this idea. However, my finding is that it doesn't hold a charge nearly as well as the Canon battery even though the Canon Battery is older. I don't regret buying this battery because it still performs the function of a back up battery. However, I would never buy this battery again as the primary battery.
on January 3, 2013
Used it for three or four cycles. It did the job and took plenty of shots. One day I threw it on the charger, and when I went to put it back in the camera, it didn't fit anymore. I looked more closely and could see that it was deformed. I'm just happy that it didn't blow up and burn my house down, It must have been pretty hot to get that much deformation.
on December 19, 2009
Great deal! works well, don't have enough time in place to argue if they last longer or shorter than the Canon battery but they are doing the job for me and for a hell of a lot less money!