Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Opteka 500-1000mm f/8 High Definition Preset Telephoto Lens for Canon EOS 1D, 5D, 6D, 7D, 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, Rebel XT, XTi, XS, XSi, T1i, T2i, T3, T3i and T4i Digital SLR Cameras
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 14, 2012
I bought this lens after researching quite abit and looking around for something affordable. i first saw the price and read the reviews and thought what everyone thinks "you get what you pay for". but decided what the hell lets try it out. Once i got it and examined it a bit, it turned out to be a pretty sturdy piece. pretty heavy but that was expected. It came with the 2x adapter and T-mount adapter which is great. So i strapped it on first without the 2x adapter and was really suprised on the quality. no its not "canon" glass but it does the job very well. make sure you tighten the adapter tight enough because if you dont it can start to unscrew when you focus. yes its preset to f/8 and not an AF lens, but if you know what your doing that not a huge problem. even if your not an experienced photgrapher, youll get use to it. i didnt need a tripod for day shots or even shady shots. night shots or dark areas, yes tripod will most likely be needed. Then i tried it with the 2x adapter, and wow it zooms pretty far. but it can get pretty shaky without a tripod. without the adapter is more practical, but it is very handy.

Overall im very happy with this lens. the price is great and its does a great job at what its used for. i would highly recommend this for someone looking to buy an innexpensive telephoto lens. Even if your new or an experienced photgrapher, its a great buy for the price and easy to get use to. ill post some pics i took using it at 500mm. But if your questioning the price and wondering if its worth it..dont. Definately worth more than the price.
44 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 9, 2011
I purchased this lens for wildlife around my home and for when were out camping.
The pictures I get are awesome! Im not a pro and just wanted a lens to play with, so for a
starter lens I was really happy. I also bought the extended ring that goes between the camera and
the lens which I didn't know came with the lens when I purchased it. So I have a second collar.
Other than that the choice for me was a good one. But unfortunely this purchase only makes me want
a bigger one now for more distance. LOL.
Judy
44 comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2012
I am just now venturing into wildlife photography and needed a little bit more reach to get out there. As a novice photographer I wanted to try something within my budget. I did a little testing on the Opteka 500mm f/8 preset supertelephoto lens and the results are what I expected. One thing to note you HAVE to read the instructions that came with the product. That way you get the best results for your product.

In the field test study the clarity is great, the edges are a little soft, but nothing a little editing, and I mean very little editing I did to sharpen the subject. I also went into my camera and tweeked the sharpness before using this sweet little find. You have to be familiar with your camera settings to get the best clarity for this type of lens.

Everything is manual focus here, you just have to find your sweet spot in this lens which is not hard to find. Overall rating I really should give it a 5.
review image review image
When I saw the price of this lense I figured to get ok at best out of it for nature closeups. To my surprise it does really well. Using it along with the 2X mag. and of course a tripod, you get good quality pics. Note that you do need sufficent light as its not great on an extremely cloudy day. No auto focus so you will need patience to get the focus right before shooting. Set the focus and wait for all shake to stop and recheck. The old addage you get what you pay for might just be a bit harsh as I fill I got a bit more than I paid for.
on June 16, 2013
Don't expect professional quality photos for this price, but with a little adjustment you can get pretty decent pictures at quite a long distance. Absolutely need a tripod. You will not be able to hand-hold this lens on your camera and get decent results. Comes with a soft case and an extension tube. Great for amateur shooters of wildlife.
on June 10, 2013
Regarding Focus: Sometimes... getting images to appear AT ALL in the view finder can be a task. But that's a decent trade off for such a crisp manual focus. It was a lot of work... but I got many good shots.

Regarding 'Shakiness': Try it with remote shutter button. I found stabilizing the image was a task... though I do not blame Opteka for not adding 'image stabilization'... as this certainly would have driven the price upward (if it was even doable). I found that (in certain low light context) even pushing the shutter button caused quite a bit of shake... but that was easily resolved with a $5 remote shutter trigger. Ideally... the lens will perform excellently when there is TONS of available light and shutter speed can be set to 1/3000 or thereabouts, and then the shakiness is not such a concern.
on October 1, 2012
I might have bitten off more than I can chew. I realized this was a non-automatic lens and it fits and works fine on my camera. Unfortunately, my tripod isn't heavy duty enough to hold the camera with this heavy lens attached. That is not the lens fault, of course. I did take a few pictures with it and they came out fine. I'll need a heavier tripod, though, to get the most use. You really can't "hand hold" this lens..it's quite heavy.
on April 18, 2012
UPDATE: I just posted a photo of an eagle at dusk. The ambient light was really too dim to hope for much but it is an example of how slow the lens really is. My settings were f8, 1/4 sec., 1600 ISO, sturdy tripod, mirror locked up, hand held remote and hope that the eagle will stay still for an instant. Below is my original review.
-----------------------------

Thanks to the reviewers (both positive and negative) who helped me decide to try one of these. As much as I would like to, I can't justify spending thousands to get PRO quality glass for taking nature photos as a hobby. I do want something that will reach further than my "goto" nature lens (Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM). Truly, I didn't expect much out of this 500mm lens but it surprised me - pleasantly.

But first the bad news - it is a slow lens, it is hard to focus, it does NOT zoom, it has no auto focus, it REQUIRES a stable tripod, it has no image stabilization, it requires a special patience and skill to aim and shoot reasonably sharp shots. Those who use high power binocs/spotting scopes or own consumer telescopes should be on familiar ground regarding tripod "shakes" at high magnification and will already realize that this lens is not for tracking moving animals, running sports figures or most hand held use. There is some chromatic fringing in high contrast photos too.

The good news. My preliminary photos were encouraging even though my first test shots were on an overcast day (F8, high ISO and s-l-o-w shutter speeds). Honestly, I expected much worse performance in low light situations so it was a nice surprise. The build quality is good, the focus is smooth. The aperture dial is a little loose feeling but it does work fine.

I will post another shot of that tree limb when the kingfisher comes to roost there in direct sunlight.

In a nutshell this lens will be most useful to someone who already knows how to manually run their camera, has a heavy duty tripod and has the experience and skills to tweak the best out of their equipment and the existing light. Also, setting my Canon Rebel XSi to APERTURE PRIORITY allows the camera to set exposure via shutter speed and ISO - leaving me to just aim and focus.

AVOID THE 2X CONVERTER - Oooh, I almost forgot. Quite frankly, this lens lives on the very edge of usefulness vs. cheap price without the 2x telephoto converter. The 2x telephoto converter makes this lens just too blurry (and dim) to be useful.

Thanks again to all the reviewers who took the time to let us all know how this product works in real life.
review image review image
on November 13, 2012
The lense really reaches out and the optics are decent for the price. I bought it for my girlfriend who is heavy into photography and she was pleased with its results
on June 18, 2013
I used this to spot for my friend when we went out shooting the other day. It blows me away how much zoom 1000mm really is. Know that it does not have the best glass remotely. I took a picture of the moon, which fills up the whole screen, just to put the capabilities of this lens into perspective. The image is sharper than I would of expected, looking at it on my iMac. Which of course has a full hd screen. It has a lot of fuzziness zooming in of course. What do you expect though, I got what I paid for, and I pick it up a lot more than I would of anticipated.