Opteka SRC-40 Large Rain & Elements Cover for Canon EOS, Nikon, Sony Alpha, Olympus EVOLT & Pentax Digital SLR Cameras
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Access to all camera and lens controls via two side sleeves.
- A clear view through the transparent TPU enables easy monitoring all the time.
- Full-length double zipper provides bottom closure when hand held or on a tripod.
- Adjustable opening fits a variety of lens diameters.
- Will fit most SLR's with and without grip attached.
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
|Item Weight||1 pound|
|Package Height||3.4 x 5.2 x 7.1 inches|
|Shipping Weight||0.5 pounds|
Top Customer Reviews
- Very waterproof - what it was primarily designed to do
- Relatively heavy duty
- Compatible with a tripod (though not a flash)
- Allows for use with both hands
- Folds down very compactly with minimal effort
- Cheaper than alternatives (excepting the disposable ones that are about the quality of a trash bag with a drawstring)
- Hard to use with eyepiece - My wife has a Nikon D50 which lacks live view mode, and the thick plastic makes it difficult to view. If you get the right angle it works fine, but more often than not it is difficult to use with a viewfinder.
- Annoying "Lens Hood" is more trouble than its worth. It is a trade off: further up the lens it blocks your ability to zoom, further down the lens it gets in the field of view on a wide angle lens (keep in mind telephotos which wouldn't have this issue usually aren't ideal in the rain because visibility is reduced). I usually left it dangling rather than trying to use it.
- Can fog up when cold outside. This is NOT a fault of this product relative to others, but a problem with the product category which involves putting your camera in a bag. Your hands warm up the environment, and in any humidity this can result in fogging of the case.
If you need rain-proofing for your gear, this product works well. It is more difficult than shooting without it, but it allows you to shoot worry free with full access to your settings in more extreme conditions.
My issue with bad weather photography has always been keeping my lens clear of rain and snow. This cover won't help that problem, so I got a good collapsible rubber lens hood which works just fine. I just need to be careful with vignetting if the hood is fully extended and I'm shooting at wide angles (18-35mm). The double zipper on the bottom works well for tripod mounting and makes inserting the camera fairly easy. If you keep your hands inside the "raincoat" for any length of time, expect some fogging that may obscure your view. It's nothing that a good microfiber cloth won't fix. I've used this cover in light rain, snow, sleet and mist. I'd never trust it to steady rain. I wish I had this cover when I photographed the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland.
There is supposed to be a storm rolling in tomorrow (missed the massive one last night) I will update the review should any problems arise.
It is a great product, but does have it's flaws. For $20, I'd definitely buy it again.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
If you're looking for durable and re-usable, this isn't bad for it's price. Similar to Kata's version and others alike, it does exactly the job intended, protects your gear from... Read morePublished on April 12, 2013 by CliffBalz
After receive the items, I put it on and try to take some pictures during misty morning and it did what it describe. +1Published on February 28, 2013 by Eddy H
This worked very well while we were on vacation. We had 2days of rain and we were able to keep taking pictures.Published on September 21, 2012 by Lori A. Walker
this item looks great but after I received it.. it is really to big for my canon rebel and was in the way alot.. Read morePublished on August 8, 2012 by Denise D. Ferguson