Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Opteka GLD-200 23-Inch Camera Track Slider Video Stabilization System for Digital SLR Cameras and Camcorders
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on October 9, 2011
First, check out this video I made, using nothing but this Opteka 23" slider: [...]

I was able to get decent results even from the short "slide" on this thing. You just have to learn to angle your camera well to get the maximum possible slide effect otherwise you'll barely get any "slide" at all.

The build quality: off top I can tell that this isn't made for heavier DSLR's like my Canon EOS 5D Mark II 21.1MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera (Body Only). From the video I posted you might say it worked out, but in actuality there were some slide shots that were unusable because of tons of friction hop/bump that I kept getting from the camera being too heavy and from the slider rail not being lubed enough. Yes, I lubed my slider with some synthetic lubrication stuff and it's something I suggest EVERYONE who has this slider MUST do to achieve the smoothest possible slide. Gun oil should be a good lube too, but I have yet to try it.

In conclusion the slider is really helpful if you're on a budget and if you plan to get tight/up close shots, but the short 23" length really limits the slide effect. It's small, convenient and easy to take around too, but again being a short 23" also limits the effect you might be looking for. After using this slider for only a few short days I might be forced to return this item and invest in the KONOVA K Slider 3080 NA-8 ball bearing slider instead.

Hope this helps!
77 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2011
I recently bought this Opteka GLD-200 23" Camera Track Slider Video Stabilization System I love it.
I use it all the time.
I read the other review regarding the jitter,and put a little grease the same I use for my sliding glass door the only grease I had handy (Except for the LARD in the kitchen)and it worked great.
I keep it in the car, it works great on the beach and for 4th of July fireworks and parade.
I store it with my tripod in its case ( if you dont have a case get one) and it has become an essential item for me(as will for you.)
Will be purchasing the longer one Soon
on July 8, 2011
Regardless of the cheap price and the fact that I've never heard of this company, I decided to give it a chance anyway because I would save so much money over buying a glidetrack. Currently mounted on my manfrotto 055xprob and 498rc2 and it's solid. I just used some 3 in 1 oil (just a tiny bit) and it made the track smooth and quiet. I don't use the feet much because this is mostly mounted on my tripod 95% of the time. 5 stars from me because of the fantastic price point and ease of use
on February 27, 2012
I purchased this item several months ago and have used it on several video projects. Some observations:

1: Does not work well at all on a tripod.
This item is easy enough to attach to a tripod, but is quite unstable. The rail bounces as you slide your camera killing your shot almost every time. It takes double the effort (or another person) to attempt to steady the rail as you shoot. I attempted on a number of different types of tripods with the same result.

2: Cheap plastic on "self lubricating glide rails".
Within 10 minutes of using this product, the plastic that lines the inside of the camera mount began to pull away. This makes it very difficult and time consuming to attach the camera mount to the slide itself. Each time the plastic pulls away more and will soon make the whole unit practically useless.

So far, I have been very disappointed in this product. Once the camera is fully attached and if you do not desire to use on a tripod, it works well. However, the poor design and construction do not make this a wise investment in my opinion.
on July 19, 2011
Budget slider and does what it's meant to do. Not as smooth/easy as a bearing slider but again for the price it does the job. I posted a test video on youtube with this slider and the video came out pretty well. I don't think there is anything in this price range that can touch it.
on April 24, 2013
Like other reviews state, it does make audio unusable but I don't use audio from slider shots anyway so it's not much of a problem.

You can mount your camera to the slider plate however you have to remove one of the legs to put the camera on the plate. To avoid the hassle you can insert the mounting screw to the plate and easily attach/remove a head without having to disassemble it.

Originally I had an issue with the bolt of my tripod and the bolt for the slider plate interfering with each other so the plate couldn't slide across. The slider plate bolt's head is unnecessarily large but I was able to modify the length of the tripod's bolt so it wasn't a problem.

Overall I think this is a great slider to purchase if you're on a budget. It's certainly not a professional slider but I gave it four stars because it does a great job for the price. I ended up returning this one and purchased the 33" version (although made by Revo instead of Opeteka, they're exactly the same).

Pros:
Excellent value for the price
Small and easy to fit in a bag, fine for shorter shots
Sturdy enough
Smooth glide
Great starter slider

Cons:
Lubrication gets on hands which easily spreads to gear, clothes, etc
Undesirable sound
Small - not long enough for landscape and wide shots
When on a fully extended tripod the camera hops sometimes when it reaches the outsides
on August 3, 2011
I love how portable this is. It's also very durable and solid. It's really jerky some times so I have to slide it a few times if I haven't used in a bit. The more weight it has the harder it is to slide smoothly. It does make some noise which can easily be picked up by an external mic mounted on the camera. If you're shooting sound separately and syncing later then should not be a problem. I still like how small it is and for the price you do get what you pay for. If you want better quality then go with a Kessler cineslider of Philip Bloom slider. They're in the $1000 range.
on April 16, 2013
The plastic sliders are just not that smooth and you really have to be cautious not to be too jerky with this slider. It is made from quality material and feels very solid. I have adapted a pulley system to mine to take out the jerkiness from my hands. Next slider will be a ball bearing rig.
on October 28, 2011
Keep those rails clean and dent free, and this slider will do a great job for your DSLR video. I've used it on five different TV spots with great success each time.

It'd have been nice if those holes on the end had threads or were a little bigger, but for under 200 I can hardly complain.
on December 4, 2013
Love this thing. Its added a much high quality feel to my videos. Only a could downsides. The rubber stops on the bottom of the stands will definitely be gone after you use it a few times. The rails are pretty smooth but seem to stick a little here and there. You'll probably want to lube it after a few uses. I use a bike lubricant called TriFlow that works well. Anyway great little peice of gear, you'll definitely need a tripod head for it too, just watch the handle as it can get in the way if you want to pan up shooting the long way.