4.0 out of 5 stars Effective Lighting Accessory
Published on April 5, 2011 by JDP

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Photos
Published on July 31, 2011 by Ralph A. Weisheit

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Photos, July 31, 2011
This review is from: Opteka OSG18 1/8-Inch Universal Honeycomb Grid for External Camera Flashes (Electronics)
There is good news and bad news. For the good news the unit itself is outstanding. I've only had it for a few days but can already tell it is a great product for focusing the output from my Nikon flash. Considering the price, it's a great bargain. Now for the bad news. The Velcro straps for attaching the unit are completely inadequate. There is no way to have the unit fit firmly over the flash head with the supplied straps. This is a design flaw that could easily be fixed. In fact, I fixed it myself, but shouldn't have had to do that. I bought some 1" black elastic strap from the sewing section of a box store and attached a strip of Velcro to the strap so that it holds the unit in place - and now it works perfectly. The sad part is that the manufacturer could have done this for pennies per unit (ok perhaps $0.25 per unit). By replacing the current system they might even save money. This system would get a 5 star rating from me if it fixed this design flaw.

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective Lighting Accessory, April 5, 2011
JDP (Margaritaville) - See all my reviews
I first came across Opteka Speed Grids at a trade show last year. Unlike the competition, I found these flash accessories economically priced and complete with mounting straps. In most cases, the straps are not included in the pricier units. I know this first hand because I also own the competitor's version. By comparison I found that the Opteka brand units perform the same job at half the cost of these other higher priced grids.

With the help of the included velcro mounted clinch band, it easily attaches to my old and trusted Nikon SB800. My only negative about this product is the flimsy bands. On occasion there is some slippage, but still its not that big of an issue. I eventually replaced the velcro straps with a sturdier strip. What I like the most about this flash grid is the overall dramatic effect from the draping of light. Bouncing from a tight center spot, it brings to the table a pure and untouched ethereal effect to the shot.

Opteka also offers 1/4" flash grid. The only difference between the two products is that the 1/4" model widens the light beam a few more degrees. It also pairs up with most flash units. I saw it in action with both Nikon and Olympus flash models at the trade show. Both products are made of an ABS/Polycarbonate material. The grid weighs in at about 4 ounces and measures 3.5" x 2.25".

With the exception of the clinch band issues, the Opteka Honeycomb Speed Grid does a great job in achieving those special lighting effects. I've been a solid user since. Both the 1/4" and 1/8" Honeycomb Grids have become reliable tools for me. That said, I recommend this product as a good cost effective, working accessory that delivers on the shots.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does Wonders... Good Build and Price!, March 24, 2011
Rex V. Polito (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Simply can't beat the price and the product build itself is not too shabby at all.
1/8" Honeycomb gives me the appropriate vignette feathering.
It is true what others said though. The grid does sit pretty loose on the flash if you
simply secure it with the velcro 2 short and 1 long wrap around straps which go
with the product. To solve this issue, I wrap another velcro strap (got it cheap from the 99 cents store)
over the 2 small straps and around the flash head to secure the grid tightly. Work well for me.
That being said, I wish Opteka considered provided 2 long wrap around straps in the first place.
I also allow the long velcro strap (provided) to stick out about 1/4" beyond the flash head
when I wrap it around. This keeps the grid from rubbing or scratching against
the flash panel. I posted a picture to illustrate the simple modification.
It's really worth getting if you're the type who likes to play around a flash.
Hope this helps...

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet value..., February 5, 2013
P. Hartung (Milwaukie, OR United States) - See all my reviews
I usually make my own modifiers for all things photography and lighting related, mainly because of the price rape that occurs in this niche. My grids aren't the most professional looking things, frankly, so I looked around to see what light shapers cost. Aside from the trendy junk that costs absurd amounts per item (plus the occasional need for separate straps or what have you, at still more additional charges) I was skeptical of the low end. I was wrong.

This grid simply rocks. It fits all of my various flashguns. It doesn't require you to permanently muck up your flashes with adhesive tape, velcro or whatever. It's not a cheap toy that is about to break. It doesn't look hackneyed. It puts a tight, concentrated bit of light where you want it and has a consistent feathering around the edge. It was ten bucks shipped to my door. For all of this, I say it rocks.

The only thing that could have made it better would have been a small satchel or case, but then the price would have to go up.

Usage tip: pay attention to the zoom setting on your flash head because you won't get the efficiency you might need if the flash zoom is set at the wide end, so zoom out to 105mm for more light. Conversely, if you are needing just a dab of light and your flash gun is too hot (and moving the gridded flash further away isn't an option) then zoom the flash as wide as possible and you'll see a significant reduction in output.

I'm going to buy the 1/4 inch version also. It would have been cool to see both of these Opteka grids in a kit, but at these prices I'm not going to view that as a demerit. Highly recommended...

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, September 24, 2011
So often you buy cheaper versions of equipment only to purchase the more expensive one later. Not the case with the 1/8" grid from Opteka. I've was debating on the Honl grids when I ran across the Opteka for a fraction of the cost, and I couldn't be happier. The build is solid. I foresee this grid lasting for years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for the price, April 4, 2011
Chris Connors (Lambertville, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
At this price just get it. How many pieces of photo gear do you buy and actually use for this price? You'll use this one a lot and you can buy 2 for less money than the "other brand". I use mine all the time for a nice tight beam of light with beautiful fall off. It's more versatile than a snoot and more portable than a soft box.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK thing a ma jig, January 6, 2011
It does do exactly what it's supposed to. But my biggest complaint is it's wonky to attach. The actual item is a puck-like design that sits on the front of your flash head. You wrap a Velcro band around the flash head, then like a bandaid attach the item to the front of the flash with Velcro straps on it's sides which attach to the Velcro on the flash (both provided). I worry after time when hair and felt get into the Velcro, the item will be too heavy to be held on by weakened supports. But for now it does OK.

Not a bad product but there are things I think can be reconsidered in it's design. For a background light, fill or creative effects it's a fine compromise for the price. Just stick it on your speedlight and you're ready to go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, September 13, 2013
The grid itself is 6+ stars - sturdy, stout, works FANTASTICALLY. The only gripe is the strapping system; it's a little wonky. It works, but it's a PITA and impossible to fit with one hand. This means setting the camera down and using both hands to mount the grid, and that can be problematic in crowded places, security wise.

If it slip-fit over the lip of the flash, it would be 10 stars. (I realize you'd need different adapters for different flashes, but I'd think they could sell the mounts separately - I'd be a buyer). Being able to swap grids quickly as you're working would be AWESOME. (hint)

4.0 out of 5 stars Product works fine, August 28, 2013
For the price, this is a good solution to other expensive Grids on the market. However, as many other reviewers have stated, the included velco holding strap will most likely slip off your flash. A simple solution is to place a rubber band around your flash, then wrap the velco holding strap over the rubber band.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like it, January 30, 2013
it's wonderful making a great spot like celebrity photos I used it also behaind my model on the back ground it looked wonderful i would suggest it

Rate and Discover Movies