5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Understand the Bad Reviews
Wow, after reading some of the negative reviews on here I was hesitant to order this for my new Vixia camera. I especially liked the video review from someone who obviously has no idea what to do with this item (or had some serious camera issues) Bottom line first - I am extremely satisfied with my purchase and love the X-Grip!

First off, after unboxing my new...
Published on February 27, 2012 by Witchhawk

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish
Customer Video Review     Length:: 4:23 Mins
I bought this based on reviews and I must say I was horrified when mine was delivered. I would not trust my video camera to this flimsy piece of plastic. I cannot say anything good about this product - I guess you get what you pay for.

I have added a video to demonstrate some of its shortcomings.
Published on January 13, 2012 by A. King

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Understand the Bad Reviews, February 27, 2012
Witchhawk (Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Opteka X-GRIP Professional Camera / Camcorder Action Stabilizing Handle- Black (Camera)

First off, after unboxing my new camera and all of the gear that came with it, I just had to see if my camera would swivel loosely around on the X-Grip like the guy in the video review. Guess what? An eighth of a turn past snug on the mounting bolt and nothing short of a forceful twist of the camera would shake this thing loose. I flipped it,shook it, twisted it, and swung it around like a madman and my camera remained precisely where I had positioned it.

As for those who are complaining that the X-Grip cannot be attached to a tripod - double check the backside of the camera mounting thumbscrew. If yours is like mine, it took a few minutes to notice but it is double threaded, meaning that your tripod shoe will attach here easily.

With a little ingenuity I set my X-Grip up to carry not only the camera, but 3-4 other accessories that have shoe mounts as well. Cameras are easy, everything is standard 1/4X20 thread! Most of my accessories (lights, microphone, etc) came with mounting bars and thumbscrews designed to attach to the camera's single, threaded hole in the bottom. Well, since this hole was occupied by the X-Grip, I simply mounted one of the bars to the top portion of the X-Grip with a 1/4X20 bolt and added 3 of the thumbscrew/shoe mounts to that - plus the one included on the X-Grip. Now my X-Grip, if needed, can be a handheld or tripod mounted "all in one" studio.

The uses of the X-Grip are limited only by your imagination and ability to think outside of the box. This thing is crazy versatile and, despite being made of that evil "plastic" stuff, seems remarkably durable. Of course you could just mount your camera on it and use it like it was intended, but where's the fun in that? If you are a little more adventurous with your video camera than just holding it up by your face and shooting from one angle than get this thing - you'll be glad you did. I sure was!

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, January 13, 2012
A. King (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
Length:: 4:23 Mins

I have added a video to demonstrate some of its shortcomings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and versatile, February 1, 2011
I love this thing. It's much more than just a handle for low-angle skater shots. I use mine with a Canon Vixia HF-10, and I like that I can mount the camera forward, as you see in most of the product shots, or 90 degrees left so that the curved handle serves as more of a left-hand support for regular shooting... like a flash bracket that still photographers use. That's going to be my default setup. Since the camera mounting screw is in a little track that extends the length of the flat rubber area, the camera can be slid forward or backwards within the X-Grip before tightening. In my case, I slide it all the way forward, rotate it 90 degrees counter-clockwise, and the camera's video monitor has plenty of room to swing all the way out to the left without hitting the handle curve. The accessory bracket on top also rotates 360 degrees so the light/microphone can match the camera direction.

My only complaint is related to the mounting knob below. I'm thrilled that it also has a female thread for mounting to a tripod or other standard-thread item. But the X-Grip's feet, the little skid things that it sits on, get in the way of my tripod head a little. I use a Manfrotto 501 pro tripod head with the large quick-release plate. If that plate is mounted directly underneath the X-Grip, then I can't slide the plate/X-Grip combo onto the tripod head without some serious force - too much to be practical. Fortunately, the solution was to disassemble the whole thing and add a single metal washer between the camera mount knob and the underside of the X-Grip, which caused the knob to hang just a fraction of an inch lower when the camera was fully tightened in place. This lowered the female tripod threads in relation to the skids just a bit, so that the "skids" were raised off of my tripod head just enough to be able to slide the release plate in place without much effort. Your mileage may vary with other tripods. If you try this, be careful not to use too thick a washer, since you're sacrificing the amount of threads that actually screw into your camera. This rig does not have the "two knob" type of camera mounting screw where you can set the screw depth with one knob and then tighten down with the other. On this, the depth you see is all you get. It's just right for my camera, but if your camera has an exceptionally shallow tripod-mounting hole, you may need to do the washer trick. Or if your rig is so heavy that you need more than 3/16"-1/4" or so of mounting thread to feel safe and secure, then the X-Grip may not be for you.

The rubber platform that the camera sits on is great. It's actually about 1/4" thick, and good rubber - not just the cheesy little thin layer of neoprene left over from the mousepad factory. So if you need to crank down on the camera mounting knob, the camera settles into the rubber pretty securely.

About the strength of the handle: more than enough. It's not totally rigid plastic. It's got a slight flex, so a heavy accessory on top might bounce up and down ever so slightly. I have a Rode NTG-2 mic up there on a shock mount, and I have no concerns about the flex. In fact, I prefer it. The plastic seems strong enough to support a pretty hefty camera rig, and I'll gladly take the "flexy" plastic over the harder, more brittle plastic that is more likely to shatter if dropped.

That's it so far!

5.0 out of 5 stars X-grip is an excellent accessory for action video, September 5, 2010
James Prine (Ponchatoula, La. (Katrina)) - See all my reviews
I bought the X-Grip for camcorder use. It was shipped fast and arrived in perfect condition. I appreciate the simple, uncluttered, straightforward design which was executed with quality materials. Attaching it to the camcorder is swift and easy, and the X-Grip can even be attached to a tripod or other mount when operating the camcorder. The heavy-duty accessory shoe can be detached. The grip of the unit is heavily padded and comfortable to use. Small built-in 'loops' at the top and bottom of the mount can be used to attach additional accessories via zip-ties or other field expedients. The X-Grip is constructed from very heavy duty plastic and is robust enough to withstand many years of service. I heartily recommend this unit to all active videographers who want bang for their bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute Must for Camcorder Owners!, October 29, 2010
I love this thing! Use it with a canon vixia hf s10 and I rarely ever take the camera off. Gives great additional weight to a light weight camcorder, and adds extra stability control. There's another model without the sidebars, and it appears that the top may be angled down a little more than this model (based off pictures). I bought this model because I didn't want the top curved down, and thought the side bars might add for an extra hand grip or stationary stability. Some ppl complain about the bars digging into their palm while trying to hold the camcorder. I can see how this may be a problem, but if you move the camcorder as far right as possible in one of the sliding pegs, the issue should be resolved. I personally have never found having the bar against my palm to be an issue. It never hurt, and again, made for more stable control as I felt I was holding the camcorder and part of the X-Grip. I have a heavy duty L bracket as an additional attachment to it; fits nicely between the base and the side bars.

(NOTE* If you unscrew and open up the base of the X-Grip, there's a thick threaded washer inside which you screw the clamp screw in and attach the camcorder on. I had an additional one of these washers made and placed inside, so I could slide the L bracket between the base and the side bars. ...It's a really sweet setup. Now, not only do I have the strap grip on the right for my camcorder, but the hand grip of the L bracket on the left which I use to attach my light. With a hand in both of those positions and the back of the X-Grip pressed against your shoulder, you get ultimate stability.)

[Extra Note* If you add an additional washer and it's a plastic model with a threaded metal interior (like mine is) you may have to sand down the excess metal lip so that its even with that of the plastic washer and fits nicely in your X-Grip]

BEST FEATURE! Even with the addition of the extra threaded washer and L bracket; I screw my tripod cap to the base (the tripod cap is perfect distance between the two side bars) and it still attaches to the tripod! I literally never have to take my camcorder off this thing! So whether you want the extra stability for hand held shots, or maybe your tripod isn't the best and you want some extra bars to grip and move; this is the best piece of equipment you can purchase. No Set up and tear down. Attach your camera and keep it on.

Great price, and the most useful attachment piece yet. I'll attach pictures soon, once I figure out how.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Exactly..., December 1, 2011
I ordered this from Amazon and promptly returned it. Nothing ground-breaking to report that hasn't been stated from prior reviewers who remarked on the same exact issues, but I found the switched screw plates on the botton platform and on the top of the handle to be deal breakers, as well as the poor quality of the foam handle.

The X-Grip is a knockoff of the Cam Caddie Scorpion product, but with the added feature of a screw mount on the top arm - great for a flash unit, microphone, etc. However, Opteka botched the screw-style and it cannot hold an accessory properly.

In addition, this reviewer said it best: "This is a nice handle, but it still has the same manufacturer defect as mentioned by other reviewers: they installed the incorrect mount on bottom of unit (as well as the top). This mount does not contain a threaded nut, so you can NOT mount the unit on a tripod. And the nut is non-removable, so it can't be fixed. I have read where ALL current stock is incorrect and manufacturer is trying to replace. But currently, Amazon just keeps shipping defective stock."

Amazon has a habit of not properly vetting some of their third-party products when reviewers flag the items as defective. Some thing I hope they address in the near future to help retain brand integrity and trust.

5.0 out of 5 stars ooooo baby, August 7, 2010
like many who purchase this, i film skateboarding. i have a nikon d5000. for a dslr, this helps a lot with stabilization because you have to hold a dslr differently than a camcorder. i recommend this if you have one. also id your camera has bad sound quality you should buy an external mic and put it on top.also obviously a good fisheye with a wide angle close to 180 degrees. its very high quality and worth themoney i definately recommend buying it for a dslr

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing product for an amazing price, August 15, 2010
My son was looking for a stabilizing handle for his video camera. This was the perfect price and an awesome purchase. Very easy to use and store. Would definately buy from this seller again.Opteka X-GRIP Professional Camera / Camcorder Action Stabilizing Handle with Accessory Shoe for Flash, Mic, or Video Light (Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective Product + Poor Customer Service, December 14, 2011
Escape the Clouds "WickedPenguin" (North Miami Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
The X-Grip has two knobs on it: a short screw knob on the upper arm to tighten the upper shoe, and a long screw knob underneath the base to secure the camera. The one on the base is supposed to have been drilled with a 1/4" hole in order for you to mount the X-Grip on a tripod.

However, their factory drilled the 1/4" tripod hole in the wrong knob: the shoe tightener. Since the screws are of different lengths, they're not interchangeable.

It makes the unit far less flexible. Picture this: I'm out in the field, shooting with the X-Grip, with my video monitor, XLR adapter box, and camera mounted to it. I take my freeform action shots. Now I want to change to a tripod shot. If the hole was drilled properly, I could just attach the X-Grip directly to the tripod. Without that 1/4" hole, now I have to detach everything from the X-grip and remount it on the tripod.

This is apparently an ongoing issue with this product, as more than one reviewer has mentioned it as far back as September. I hoped they would have fixed their stock. Obviously, it still has not been corrected.

Yes, I can return it. But if I replace it with another one, how do I know if THAT one won't have the same issue? All I want is that one part, properly manufactured.

I emailed Opteka several times in November, asking if they could just send me that single knob. I think it's ridiculous to have to spend all this money and effort on postage, packaging, and handling to exchange the unit, when all they would need to do is mail a $1 part with $1 of postage.

I received no response. I finally posted it on their Facebook page. I received a response from an M. Coleman. I emailed him that day, on Nov. 25, 2011. It's now mid-December, and I have received neither a part nor a reply.

So - that's two stars off for a defective product. Minus another two starts for horrible customer service. And I'm just going to return the unit and get my money back. Thanks for nothing, Opteka.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Cool, January 14, 2011
I think this item is a cool little film making tool. I am an independent film maker and I am sure I will make good use of it at certain times. It is easy enough to mount the camera and remove it again quickly. The only thing I dislike is the fact that the microphone that fits into my hotshoe does not fit on the camera while mounted on the rig. Also, the build feels a little cheap. Other than that this is a great tool for the money.

Rate and Discover Movies