Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Opteka X-GRIP Professional Camera / Camcorder Action Stabilizing Handle- Black
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Size: Black|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

Showing 1-10 of 429 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on February 27, 2012
Wow, after reading some of the negative reviews on here I was hesitant to order this for my new Vixia camera. I especially liked the video review from someone who obviously has no idea what to do with this item (or had some serious camera issues) Bottom line first - I am extremely satisfied with my purchase and love the X-Grip!

First off, after unboxing my new camera and all of the gear that came with it, I just had to see if my camera would swivel loosely around on the X-Grip like the guy in the video review. Guess what? An eighth of a turn past snug on the mounting bolt and nothing short of a forceful twist of the camera would shake this thing loose. I flipped it,shook it, twisted it, and swung it around like a madman and my camera remained precisely where I had positioned it.

As for those who are complaining that the X-Grip cannot be attached to a tripod - double check the backside of the camera mounting thumbscrew. If yours is like mine, it took a few minutes to notice but it is double threaded, meaning that your tripod shoe will attach here easily.

With a little ingenuity I set my X-Grip up to carry not only the camera, but 3-4 other accessories that have shoe mounts as well. Cameras are easy, everything is standard 1/4X20 thread! Most of my accessories (lights, microphone, etc) came with mounting bars and thumbscrews designed to attach to the camera's single, threaded hole in the bottom. Well, since this hole was occupied by the X-Grip, I simply mounted one of the bars to the top portion of the X-Grip with a 1/4X20 bolt and added 3 of the thumbscrew/shoe mounts to that - plus the one included on the X-Grip. Now my X-Grip, if needed, can be a handheld or tripod mounted "all in one" studio.

The uses of the X-Grip are limited only by your imagination and ability to think outside of the box. This thing is crazy versatile and, despite being made of that evil "plastic" stuff, seems remarkably durable. Of course you could just mount your camera on it and use it like it was intended, but where's the fun in that? If you are a little more adventurous with your video camera than just holding it up by your face and shooting from one angle than get this thing - you'll be glad you did. I sure was!
33 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 3, 2010
I know it's more fit for camcorders but I decided to buy it for my Canon 550D T2i and it fits and works great! I love it already. The grip feels great in the hand and it's very comfortable. Definitely worth the money.

Also works great for a simple stabilizer.
on January 22, 2015
Love this thing!! It's a lot lighter than I thought it would be and the plastic seems to be quite cheap..but this thing is $20.. Even with that being said, I am looking forward to seeing how much use I get out of it. Picture I've attached is an iPhone 6 plus to give you a reference size.
review image
on February 1, 2011
I love this thing. It's much more than just a handle for low-angle skater shots. I use mine with a Canon Vixia HF-10, and I like that I can mount the camera forward, as you see in most of the product shots, or 90 degrees left so that the curved handle serves as more of a left-hand support for regular shooting... like a flash bracket that still photographers use. That's going to be my default setup. Since the camera mounting screw is in a little track that extends the length of the flat rubber area, the camera can be slid forward or backwards within the X-Grip before tightening. In my case, I slide it all the way forward, rotate it 90 degrees counter-clockwise, and the camera's video monitor has plenty of room to swing all the way out to the left without hitting the handle curve. The accessory bracket on top also rotates 360 degrees so the light/microphone can match the camera direction.

My only complaint is related to the mounting knob below. I'm thrilled that it also has a female thread for mounting to a tripod or other standard-thread item. But the X-Grip's feet, the little skid things that it sits on, get in the way of my tripod head a little. I use a Manfrotto 501 pro tripod head with the large quick-release plate. If that plate is mounted directly underneath the X-Grip, then I can't slide the plate/X-Grip combo onto the tripod head without some serious force - too much to be practical. Fortunately, the solution was to disassemble the whole thing and add a single metal washer between the camera mount knob and the underside of the X-Grip, which caused the knob to hang just a fraction of an inch lower when the camera was fully tightened in place. This lowered the female tripod threads in relation to the skids just a bit, so that the "skids" were raised off of my tripod head just enough to be able to slide the release plate in place without much effort. Your mileage may vary with other tripods. If you try this, be careful not to use too thick a washer, since you're sacrificing the amount of threads that actually screw into your camera. This rig does not have the "two knob" type of camera mounting screw where you can set the screw depth with one knob and then tighten down with the other. On this, the depth you see is all you get. It's just right for my camera, but if your camera has an exceptionally shallow tripod-mounting hole, you may need to do the washer trick. Or if your rig is so heavy that you need more than 3/16"-1/4" or so of mounting thread to feel safe and secure, then the X-Grip may not be for you.

The rubber platform that the camera sits on is great. It's actually about 1/4" thick, and good rubber - not just the cheesy little thin layer of neoprene left over from the mousepad factory. So if you need to crank down on the camera mounting knob, the camera settles into the rubber pretty securely.

About the strength of the handle: more than enough. It's not totally rigid plastic. It's got a slight flex, so a heavy accessory on top might bounce up and down ever so slightly. I have a Rode NTG-2 mic up there on a shock mount, and I have no concerns about the flex. In fact, I prefer it. The plastic seems strong enough to support a pretty hefty camera rig, and I'll gladly take the "flexy" plastic over the harder, more brittle plastic that is more likely to shatter if dropped.

That's it so far!
on February 10, 2015
Really nice for the money. My Canon Vixia HF R400 doesn't have a hot shoe, but does have a mic in. My main goal was to mount my Rode Video Mic, but I have found the mount extremely handy for grabbing onto the camcorder and getting low or sweeping shots.

You need to balance your camcorder and then I outlined the placement with a marker.

You can't beat this unit for the money, it'll get you started.
on September 16, 2012
This is an awesome handle!! I film skateboarding so it is necessary for me to have a setup that is heavy and will stabilize my footage when riding my skateboard. This handle is excellent and gives an amazing feel to my dslr. The 3 coldshoes on the handle are also super helpful. The adjustable shoes provide flexibility with setups, I can place my huge led light on the middle shoe and my mic fits fine. There's not much more to say about the handle, you get WAY more then you pay for. Very cheap price for such an amazing product. I would definitely recommend this handle!!
on September 5, 2010
I bought the X-Grip for camcorder use. It was shipped fast and arrived in perfect condition. I appreciate the simple, uncluttered, straightforward design which was executed with quality materials. Attaching it to the camcorder is swift and easy, and the X-Grip can even be attached to a tripod or other mount when operating the camcorder. The heavy-duty accessory shoe can be detached. The grip of the unit is heavily padded and comfortable to use. Small built-in 'loops' at the top and bottom of the mount can be used to attach additional accessories via zip-ties or other field expedients. The X-Grip is constructed from very heavy duty plastic and is robust enough to withstand many years of service. I heartily recommend this unit to all active videographers who want bang for their bucks.
on October 29, 2010
I love this thing! Use it with a canon vixia hf s10 and I rarely ever take the camera off. Gives great additional weight to a light weight camcorder, and adds extra stability control. There's another model without the sidebars, and it appears that the top may be angled down a little more than this model (based off pictures). I bought this model because I didn't want the top curved down, and thought the side bars might add for an extra hand grip or stationary stability. Some ppl complain about the bars digging into their palm while trying to hold the camcorder. I can see how this may be a problem, but if you move the camcorder as far right as possible in one of the sliding pegs, the issue should be resolved. I personally have never found having the bar against my palm to be an issue. It never hurt, and again, made for more stable control as I felt I was holding the camcorder and part of the X-Grip. I have a heavy duty L bracket as an additional attachment to it; fits nicely between the base and the side bars.

(NOTE* If you unscrew and open up the base of the X-Grip, there's a thick threaded washer inside which you screw the clamp screw in and attach the camcorder on. I had an additional one of these washers made and placed inside, so I could slide the L bracket between the base and the side bars. ...It's a really sweet setup. Now, not only do I have the strap grip on the right for my camcorder, but the hand grip of the L bracket on the left which I use to attach my light. With a hand in both of those positions and the back of the X-Grip pressed against your shoulder, you get ultimate stability.)

[Extra Note* If you add an additional washer and it's a plastic model with a threaded metal interior (like mine is) you may have to sand down the excess metal lip so that its even with that of the plastic washer and fits nicely in your X-Grip]

BEST FEATURE! Even with the addition of the extra threaded washer and L bracket; I screw my tripod cap to the base (the tripod cap is perfect distance between the two side bars) and it still attaches to the tripod! I literally never have to take my camcorder off this thing! So whether you want the extra stability for hand held shots, or maybe your tripod isn't the best and you want some extra bars to grip and move; this is the best piece of equipment you can purchase. No Set up and tear down. Attach your camera and keep it on.

Great price, and the most useful attachment piece yet. I'll attach pictures soon, once I figure out how.
on September 10, 2012
This handle is well worth the money as opposed to the almost 400$ competitor. The build of the handle is quality and fits my Canon Rebel T3i perfectly. it is easy to use and makes filming skateboarding with a DSLR sooo much easier. I love it. The delivery was quick and the seller sends an e-mail with a tracking number so its easy to figure out when its coming. Thanks!
on August 29, 2011
So this thing is awesome! it's a great way to stabilize and get low, interesting shots. I also like that I don't have to handle the camera directly, so the mic isn't picking up sounds from my hand rubbing the camera or any noises from the zoom switch. It's also very light (which some might not like, but I find it to be a quality), so it's not a burden to carry around, in transport and while shooting. Overall, it's a simple tool, but a very necessary one, I love it so far and you you won't regret buying one of your own.