Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Size: BlackPackage Type: RetailChange

on February 27, 2012
Wow, after reading some of the negative reviews on here I was hesitant to order this for my new Vixia camera. I especially liked the video review from someone who obviously has no idea what to do with this item (or had some serious camera issues) Bottom line first - I am extremely satisfied with my purchase and love the X-Grip!

First off, after unboxing my new camera and all of the gear that came with it, I just had to see if my camera would swivel loosely around on the X-Grip like the guy in the video review. Guess what? An eighth of a turn past snug on the mounting bolt and nothing short of a forceful twist of the camera would shake this thing loose. I flipped it,shook it, twisted it, and swung it around like a madman and my camera remained precisely where I had positioned it.

As for those who are complaining that the X-Grip cannot be attached to a tripod - double check the backside of the camera mounting thumbscrew. If yours is like mine, it took a few minutes to notice but it is double threaded, meaning that your tripod shoe will attach here easily.

With a little ingenuity I set my X-Grip up to carry not only the camera, but 3-4 other accessories that have shoe mounts as well. Cameras are easy, everything is standard 1/4X20 thread! Most of my accessories (lights, microphone, etc) came with mounting bars and thumbscrews designed to attach to the camera's single, threaded hole in the bottom. Well, since this hole was occupied by the X-Grip, I simply mounted one of the bars to the top portion of the X-Grip with a 1/4X20 bolt and added 3 of the thumbscrew/shoe mounts to that - plus the one included on the X-Grip. Now my X-Grip, if needed, can be a handheld or tripod mounted "all in one" studio.

The uses of the X-Grip are limited only by your imagination and ability to think outside of the box. This thing is crazy versatile and, despite being made of that evil "plastic" stuff, seems remarkably durable. Of course you could just mount your camera on it and use it like it was intended, but where's the fun in that? If you are a little more adventurous with your video camera than just holding it up by your face and shooting from one angle than get this thing - you'll be glad you did. I sure was!
on November 3, 2010
I know it's more fit for camcorders but I decided to buy it for my Canon 550D T2i and it fits and works great! I love it already. The grip feels great in the hand and it's very comfortable. Definitely worth the money.

Also works great for a simple stabilizer.
review image review image
on February 1, 2011
I love this thing. It's much more than just a handle for low-angle skater shots. I use mine with a Canon Vixia HF-10, and I like that I can mount the camera forward, as you see in most of the product shots, or 90 degrees left so that the curved handle serves as more of a left-hand support for regular shooting... like a flash bracket that still photographers use. That's going to be my default setup. Since the camera mounting screw is in a little track that extends the length of the flat rubber area, the camera can be slid forward or backwards within the X-Grip before tightening. In my case, I slide it all the way forward, rotate it 90 degrees counter-clockwise, and the camera's video monitor has plenty of room to swing all the way out to the left without hitting the handle curve. The accessory bracket on top also rotates 360 degrees so the light/microphone can match the camera direction.

My only complaint is related to the mounting knob below. I'm thrilled that it also has a female thread for mounting to a tripod or other standard-thread item. But the X-Grip's feet, the little skid things that it sits on, get in the way of my tripod head a little. I use a Manfrotto 501 pro tripod head with the large quick-release plate. If that plate is mounted directly underneath the X-Grip, then I can't slide the plate/X-Grip combo onto the tripod head without some serious force - too much to be practical. Fortunately, the solution was to disassemble the whole thing and add a single metal washer between the camera mount knob and the underside of the X-Grip, which caused the knob to hang just a fraction of an inch lower when the camera was fully tightened in place. This lowered the female tripod threads in relation to the skids just a bit, so that the "skids" were raised off of my tripod head just enough to be able to slide the release plate in place without much effort. Your mileage may vary with other tripods. If you try this, be careful not to use too thick a washer, since you're sacrificing the amount of threads that actually screw into your camera. This rig does not have the "two knob" type of camera mounting screw where you can set the screw depth with one knob and then tighten down with the other. On this, the depth you see is all you get. It's just right for my camera, but if your camera has an exceptionally shallow tripod-mounting hole, you may need to do the washer trick. Or if your rig is so heavy that you need more than 3/16"-1/4" or so of mounting thread to feel safe and secure, then the X-Grip may not be for you.

The rubber platform that the camera sits on is great. It's actually about 1/4" thick, and good rubber - not just the cheesy little thin layer of neoprene left over from the mousepad factory. So if you need to crank down on the camera mounting knob, the camera settles into the rubber pretty securely.

About the strength of the handle: more than enough. It's not totally rigid plastic. It's got a slight flex, so a heavy accessory on top might bounce up and down ever so slightly. I have a Rode NTG-2 mic up there on a shock mount, and I have no concerns about the flex. In fact, I prefer it. The plastic seems strong enough to support a pretty hefty camera rig, and I'll gladly take the "flexy" plastic over the harder, more brittle plastic that is more likely to shatter if dropped.

That's it so far!
on January 13, 2012
I bought this based on reviews and I must say I was horrified when mine was delivered. I would not trust my video camera to this flimsy piece of plastic. I cannot say anything good about this product - I guess you get what you pay for.

I have added a video to demonstrate some of its shortcomings.
5959 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2010
I love this thing! Use it with a canon vixia hf s10 and I rarely ever take the camera off. Gives great additional weight to a light weight camcorder, and adds extra stability control. There's another model without the sidebars, and it appears that the top may be angled down a little more than this model (based off pictures). I bought this model because I didn't want the top curved down, and thought the side bars might add for an extra hand grip or stationary stability. Some ppl complain about the bars digging into their palm while trying to hold the camcorder. I can see how this may be a problem, but if you move the camcorder as far right as possible in one of the sliding pegs, the issue should be resolved. I personally have never found having the bar against my palm to be an issue. It never hurt, and again, made for more stable control as I felt I was holding the camcorder and part of the X-Grip. I have a heavy duty L bracket as an additional attachment to it; fits nicely between the base and the side bars.

(NOTE* If you unscrew and open up the base of the X-Grip, there's a thick threaded washer inside which you screw the clamp screw in and attach the camcorder on. I had an additional one of these washers made and placed inside, so I could slide the L bracket between the base and the side bars. ...It's a really sweet setup. Now, not only do I have the strap grip on the right for my camcorder, but the hand grip of the L bracket on the left which I use to attach my light. With a hand in both of those positions and the back of the X-Grip pressed against your shoulder, you get ultimate stability.)

[Extra Note* If you add an additional washer and it's a plastic model with a threaded metal interior (like mine is) you may have to sand down the excess metal lip so that its even with that of the plastic washer and fits nicely in your X-Grip]

BEST FEATURE! Even with the addition of the extra threaded washer and L bracket; I screw my tripod cap to the base (the tripod cap is perfect distance between the two side bars) and it still attaches to the tripod! I literally never have to take my camcorder off this thing! So whether you want the extra stability for hand held shots, or maybe your tripod isn't the best and you want some extra bars to grip and move; this is the best piece of equipment you can purchase. No Set up and tear down. Attach your camera and keep it on.

Great price, and the most useful attachment piece yet. I'll attach pictures soon, once I figure out how.
on September 5, 2010
I bought the X-Grip for camcorder use. It was shipped fast and arrived in perfect condition. I appreciate the simple, uncluttered, straightforward design which was executed with quality materials. Attaching it to the camcorder is swift and easy, and the X-Grip can even be attached to a tripod or other mount when operating the camcorder. The heavy-duty accessory shoe can be detached. The grip of the unit is heavily padded and comfortable to use. Small built-in 'loops' at the top and bottom of the mount can be used to attach additional accessories via zip-ties or other field expedients. The X-Grip is constructed from very heavy duty plastic and is robust enough to withstand many years of service. I heartily recommend this unit to all active videographers who want bang for their bucks.
on August 1, 2012
Just received the handle. Unfortunately the foam wrapping the handle was split/ripped, but the box was fine, and everything had been very well-packed, so I think this was just a fluke from the factory. Maybe 47th St or Opteka can replace this for me? I may just wrap it with some bicycle handlebar tape.

Anyways, it's a big improvement over the plastic equivalents (the first X-Grip or the Cam Caddie) as it is much more rigid and solid. Well worth the extra money to get rid of the bounce/wobble the plastic handles suffer from. The extra 1/4"-20 holes will be nice for mounting accessories- I am actually going to use the uppermost set on the vertical bar to mount a counterweight, to make the rig balance at the grip point with my DSLR mounted at the front.

I've seen people ask if this will fit a DSLR with a battery grip- this will depend on your specific camera and grip, as different combinations will be different heights. The max vertical clearance between the rubber pad the camera sits on and the bottom of the thumbscrew that mounts the shoe-mount is about 5.25". If you remove the shoe-mount it is about 5.75". You could very easily use a shorter 1/4"-20 screw to attach the shoe-mount (instead of the thumbscrew), and that would give you a max clearance of about 5.625".

So, measure your camera with its grip and it just may fit. My 60D with a Meike grip (clone of the Canon grip, batteries slide out the side) is just a smidge too tall to fit comfortably (with the shoe-mount removed from the handle). It looks like it would just barely fit, with the bottom of the top bar resting on the top of the camera's shoe, if I peel off the rubber mat the camera sits on (or shave it down so it's flush). I'm guessing the 7D and 5D2/3 will be in a similar situation, as I think they are a bit taller than the 60D. I think any of the Rebels or a GH2 would be fine though. Fortunately I'm ditching the grip for shooting video and will just be mounting a Manfrotto 577 quick-release plate under my 60D, which will fit just fine. I think I will also be adding a shoe-mount adapter coming down from the top bar to mate with the camera's shoe, so the handle will be attached to the camera at the top and bottom.

One easy, free mod I would recommend for anyone using this handle, especially if it's with a small video camera where the weight will be low in the handle, would be to slide off the foam, remove the two screws attaching the metal "box" (which creates the grip area), and re-mount it on the bottom side of the top bar (the holes go all the way through, so you can just thread the screws in from the bottom). This will put your hand a good inch closer to the camera/center of gravity, which will help keep the rig from swinging side-to-side. All this takes is a 2.5mm allen wrench and some patience with the foam (assuming yours isn't already mostly falling off like mine).
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2012
This is an awesome handle!! I film skateboarding so it is necessary for me to have a setup that is heavy and will stabilize my footage when riding my skateboard. This handle is excellent and gives an amazing feel to my dslr. The 3 coldshoes on the handle are also super helpful. The adjustable shoes provide flexibility with setups, I can place my huge led light on the middle shoe and my mic fits fine. There's not much more to say about the handle, you get WAY more then you pay for. Very cheap price for such an amazing product. I would definitely recommend this handle!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2011
I ordered this from Amazon and promptly returned it. Nothing ground-breaking to report that hasn't been stated from prior reviewers who remarked on the same exact issues, but I found the switched screw plates on the botton platform and on the top of the handle to be deal breakers, as well as the poor quality of the foam handle.

The X-Grip is a knockoff of the Cam Caddie Scorpion product, but with the added feature of a screw mount on the top arm - great for a flash unit, microphone, etc. However, Opteka botched the screw-style and it cannot hold an accessory properly.

In addition, this reviewer said it best: "This is a nice handle, but it still has the same manufacturer defect as mentioned by other reviewers: they installed the incorrect mount on bottom of unit (as well as the top). This mount does not contain a threaded nut, so you can NOT mount the unit on a tripod. And the nut is non-removable, so it can't be fixed. I have read where ALL current stock is incorrect and manufacturer is trying to replace. But currently, Amazon just keeps shipping defective stock."

Amazon has a habit of not properly vetting some of their third-party products when reviewers flag the items as defective. Some thing I hope they address in the near future to help retain brand integrity and trust.
on September 10, 2012
This handle is well worth the money as opposed to the almost 400$ competitor. The build of the handle is quality and fits my Canon Rebel T3i perfectly. it is easy to use and makes filming skateboarding with a DSLR sooo much easier. I love it. The delivery was quick and the seller sends an e-mail with a tracking number so its easy to figure out when its coming. Thanks!