5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a battery charger!...
Just purchased this for my 2008 BMW R1200RT (01/2012). The bike is fairly new to me and I wanted to be sure that the battery was maintained in good condition during the winter months that involve less riding and more time in the garage.

Published on January 8, 2012 by Two_Metre_Man

1.0 out of 5 stars I assume it is taking care of my battery,
It has a lot of flashing lights to show the status of what it is doing. The flashing lights are a bit much, kind of like having a carnival in my garage next to my bike. It seems to do a frequent de sulphation charge which concerns me a bit.
IF that it is what it is doing the charger may not be suitable if a LiFe battery is installed.

My concerns were...
Published 11 months ago by Roger the Lodger

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a battery charger!..., January 8, 2012
This review is from: OptiMate 4 DUAL PROGRAM BMW CAN-bus edition (Automotive)

Bottom line is that the charger was shipped ready for use on my bike, using the CAN-bus program (I'm assuming that the seller, Kinney Cycles, St. Joseph, MI, did that - kudos to them!) A quick read of the pretty straightforward instruction book (yeah, I do read 'em!) and I was able to connect the charger directly to my bike, using the on-board, front accessory socket. Uh-oh!! - the Optimate4 showed a non-retentive battery at the end of its first charge-test cycle.

I removed the battery from the bike, changed programs to Standard in anticipation of needing to do some deeper work on what was apparently a depleted battery, and started the charger again. Result from the charge-test cycle was a perfect battery! Hmmm...

Changed the program back to CAN-bus, re-installed the battery in the bike and this time connected the charger via the rear bike socket. Perfect battery showing! Moving the charger plug to the front bike socket again showed a non-retentive battery.

Bottom line is that this isn't only a battery charger. It has also identified an electrical issue/fault on my bike that I didn't know about. Can you tell that I'm impressed with this unit?! It is well-made, simple to use, thorough and well worth the money. Good kit!! :)

UPDATE (March 9, 2012) - TecMate asked me to return this charger (they arranged shipping and pick-up) so that they could upgrade it. Apparently, the issue wasn't with my bike, but in the charger's firmware. Their engineering staff took the time to review the situation and determined that.

I received the charger back yesterday, complete with firmware upgrade sticker (!) and it is now charging flawlessly through the BMW CAN-bus outlets. Just what I wanted, since it makes connecting and disconnecting the charger so simple and easy - just plug it into the BMW outlet. Excellent customer service and attention to detail on TecMate's part. Gets top marks from me!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to dead battery. Saved!!!, October 26, 2011
Snoopy 5280 (Denver, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OptiMate 4 DUAL PROGRAM BMW CAN-bus edition (Automotive)
My battery to my BMW R1150RT was close to dead! In comes Optimate 4 to the rescue!!! What an awesome product!!!

Before using the Optimate 4, I had to push start my bike a few times and what a pain in the butt that was! I rode my bike around for an hour and still the battery would not hold the charge. I knew that I wanted to get it before winter but I ended up forking over the money (not much) late summer. What a life saver! I plugged it in via the CAN BUS on the bike and in a couple of hours, disaster averted! I highly recommend this product as it does all kinds of things beside just recharging your battery. Buy it! It's cheaper than buying a new battery!

1.0 out of 5 stars I assume it is taking care of my battery,, October 2, 2013
This review is from: OptiMate 4 DUAL PROGRAM BMW CAN-bus edition (Automotive)

My concerns were warranted! The OptiMate destroyed the battery in my 2011 BMW F650GS (stock battery). I have been riding motorcycles for 25 years and have never had a battery failure or replacement until now.
I always store my bikes over winter(or over summer with my Florida bike) with a battery tender attached.

The late model BMW bikes have a unique battery that must be tended by a special Battery Tender(confirmed by Deltran). BMW sells a special device for this purpose for only $160! Mine failed last summer so I bought the OptiMate which was supposedly safe for the late model BMW batteries.

So a new battery from BMW is a bit over $100, the Optimate was $90, but I avoided the $160 replacement BMW charger!!!

I am not sure when BMW made the battery change, but I know my 2009 BMW has the new battery, as does the 2011.

If you own a late model BMW avoid the OptiMate battery killer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, so far, September 25, 2013
This review is from: OptiMate 4 DUAL PROGRAM BMW CAN-bus edition (Automotive)
I purchased this charger just as my BMW 200 series battery in my 2010 R1200RT was biting the dust. The charger would recharge the battery, but it would be good for only 1 start. So I replaced the battery with a new 800 series battery. Supposedly a better battery than the former; we will see. Although the battery had been charged from the dealer, when I got home I hooked it up to the charger anyway to see the diagnostics in action. Everything worked as indicated and after a couple of minutes the battery displayed fully charged. I really like the information this charger provides. I also like the on-off cycle instead of a steady trickle; I hope that will help extend battery life. Only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is that the manual sucks. You have to read it over a couple of times to understand all the features. There's a YouTube of this charger that explains the functions much better, check it out. Also, make sure you are using Program 2 if hooking up to the CAN-BUS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, January 28, 2013
This review is from: OptiMate 4 DUAL PROGRAM BMW CAN-bus edition (Automotive)
Great charger that does the job well. I use it to charge our BMW motorbike batteries. These new models need a charger that can handle CAN-bus electronics in the bike. It works well, is easy to understand and to read the display. Can absolutely recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product !!, June 14, 2014
This review is from: OptiMate 4 DUAL PROGRAM BMW CAN-bus edition (Automotive)
Worked very well just Out of the box. Strongly reccomend to anyone who needs to save motorcycle battery.
Bivolt is a great plus

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Deal and Works Great, June 11, 2014
Mark A. Leopard (Plattsburgh, New York, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: OptiMate 4 DUAL PROGRAM BMW CAN-bus edition (Automotive)
I purchased this after pricing the BMW equivalent. This is a much better deal and more flexible. Works like a charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, March 9, 2014
This review is from: OptiMate 4 DUAL PROGRAM BMW CAN-bus edition (Automotive)
Plugged right in and ready to go.
Great unit required no installation plugged right into the
BMW can bus socket

4.0 out of 5 stars Very effective on BMW bikes, March 3, 2014
This review is from: OptiMate 4 DUAL PROGRAM BMW CAN-bus edition (Automotive)
I use this charger to keep my GS and HP4 charged. It fits both bikes just by changing the charging head and functions perfectly. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is that the wall cord is a few feet short IMHO. If my bike was head in and flush against the wall it would be fine but even a few feet away the charger lies on the ground. Instead of me having to buy a dedicated extension cord why not add a few feet to the cord? It makes me think that the unit was built to a price not with the end user in mind. Otherwise a great and effective product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, February 27, 2014
This review is from: OptiMate 4 DUAL PROGRAM BMW CAN-bus edition (Automotive)
Works great with BMW Can bus system at 1/3 the cost of a BMW charger. It's important to keep your battery charged up over the winter but the BMW charger needed to work with the can bus system is $130 from BMW. This charger does everything and more for a much lower price.

OptiMate 4 DUAL PROGRAM BMW CAN-bus edition