Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Optima 8012-021-FFP YellowTop Group 34 Deep Cycle Battery
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Package Type: Frustration-Free Packaging|Change
Price:$195.62 - $329.99

on October 19, 2009
I decided to order this battery through Amazon since it was about $50 cheaper than local retailers. Since I've never purchased a car battery online, I called Amazon and Optima to ask how a warranty claim would work when the battery was purchased through Amazon. The people I spoke with gave me some very surprising information, which I thought I'd share with you:

1. Amazon only accepts returns for up to 30 days after the item was purchased. After 30 days, the customer will be referred to the manufacturer of the item.
2. Optima refers all online purchases back to the original retailer. The full warranty cannot be honored through Optima unless the battery was purchased from one of Optima's authorized online retailers. The authorized retailers are shown on Optima's site; Amazon is not one of them.
3. Optima is unable to honor any warranty for batteries purchased through Amazon because Optima is unaware of the condition of the batteries, the shipping procedures, how long the batteries have been in a warehouse, etc.

The Optima Yellow Top series are arguably some of the best auto batteries currently on the market, but the money saved by buying from Amazon clearly isn't worth the almost nonexistent warranty.
44 comments|128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2014
They had the wrong images for this batt but after I contacted them they got it fixed. For all the people concerned about the lack of warrantee, go buy one from optima and try to get it replaced. They gave me the runaround on my last optima that I purchased from them so now I'll save $100 by purchasing here.
Yes $100 not $50.
You have to keep your eyes open for the deals.
If for some reason this new optima takes a crap within a year (which is highly unlikely) I'm not out that much $. But if it lasts like others I have I will get minimum 5 years out of it.
For the other reviews saying that they contacted optima and optima is saying they don't know how amazon is getting there batteries. Ah optima sells pallets of batteries that are 6 months old and older. So optima is full of it.
I worked at the warehouse so Ive see it.
on November 10, 2012
Optima specifies in their data sheet for this battery a "reserve capacity test". Basically, you take a fully-charged battery at 80F and put a 25A load on it. In 120 minutes the voltage of the battery should still be above 10.5V. I've received three of these batteries from Amazon that tested around 83-85 minutes. The batteries varied in age from between 3 and 6 months, and sitting that long without being charged likely damaged them. I purchased two from a local retailer that were only 2 months old, and they were a lot better, lasting nearly 100 minutes, but still failing the reserve capacity test. Optima has yet to respond to my complaints, but it is clear that these batteries do not meet the specifications in their own data sheet for their capacity.

This probably isn't an issue if you're using them to start a gasoline engine, but I'm using them in an Electric Car, where capacity really matters.

EDIT: As of late 2014, Amazon seems to have their inventory under better control and the batteries they are shipping are fresher. Batteries received 1/12/2015 were manufactured 11/2014 or 12/2014; all were received > 12.8V. They still fail the reserve capacity test; now they go 100 or so minutes, but that's Optima. I would recommend checking the resting voltage of the new battery you receive, and if it is than around 12.75V, reject it.
on June 29, 2010
I bought eight of the Optima yellow top batteries for house batteries in a sailboat for the convenience of AGM, no fill, no spill, etc. These batteries are charged by a state of the art 4 stage regulator, plus solar panels on a microprocessor charge controller. The batteries are all in one bank and charged/discharged equally and never below 85%. In other words they are pampered. Now the bad, one battery failed within a week of installation. It started gassing and heating up even under a light charge. After about a year another one developed an internal short and its voltage dropped to around 8V. It was easy to detect by just touching the top. It was warmer than the rest. Six months after that, two more developed internal shorts with the same symptoms. These batteries are over rated. It appears that the build quality from battery varies widely. I will never buy another one.
on December 25, 2013
A top end sealed gel battery is exactly what the old Jeep needed - and this is working great. Delivered without any hassles, easy to connect, met all my expectations. Glad I sprung for the little extra to get a top end battery.
on December 3, 2015
So about the dates and the batteries. Purchased mine on 12/1/2015, date stamped on battery 11/15 so looks good to me!
So far so good, fit well into the space a standard battery went. We will see how it holds up!
Would buy again
review image
on July 11, 2013
I got 7 years out of the last Optima battery, and I have two more with 7+ years on them in a 1998 F250 Diesel. I have another (not Optima) set up to start our whole house standby Genny. AGMs have slightly higher voltage. Durability is a big plus and I don't miss the corroded terminal and adjacent metal cause by acid fumes from regular flooded cell batteries.
on March 23, 2014
I have one car that I do not drive that often. I believe this battery is what the doctor ordered for the situation. So far it is holding strong and the car cranks immediately without hesitation. I believe this situation killed my prior battery. One neat extra point, the battery comes packed in a real strong sized to fit perfectly cardboard box. So should I have to return it to Amazon, it will not be that big of a deal.
on January 14, 2010
I was hesitant to buy this because of all the reviews saying the battery was poorly packaged and would arrive damaged. Knowing Amazon has a good returns policy, I took the chance and ordered it.

I'm in NY and the battery was shipped by truck cross country (I watched the tracking updates). It took about a week for it to arrive.

When I finally received it, I realized I was lucky. The battery was in good condition with no breaks or scratches on it. At the same time, it came in a simple cardboard box with some cushioning on top, but nothing on the bottom. This is a very heavy item and it's very easy to visualize the bottom of the battery getting damaged during a long truck ride as there is no protection whatsoever between the bottom of the battery and the 1/4 inch cardboard box it comes in.

I don't get it, sometimes they go overboard & package the most trivial of items in styrofoam and bubble wrap, and with this 50lb. item it's basically just covered in 1/4 inch of cardboard.

The battery itself seems fine- ...started my car up fine (although I can't comment on it over the long term just yet).
on November 30, 2014
After using this batter for some time now I have to say, it'll only be Optima batteries for me in the future. Sure they are expensive, but I've found when it comes to batteries (all kinds) you pretty much get what you pay for.

Amazon and Optima need to work on the warranty as it is confusing (or was when I ordered my battery) There was a question if Optima would back the battery up. Not a lawyer here but I did read an article where the courts have found that a manufacturer was not able to pick and chose the retailer on what warranty's they would support. If it is a question for you (and for the price it should be) get it in writing from either Amazon or Optima.