on March 17, 2014
I have tried 2 other USB 3.0 cards for my MAC Pro and this is the only one that worked perfectly out of the box!
No drivers were needed, just install and boot. Everything worked perfectly in Mavericks 10.9.1 and there was a HUGE speed difference.
Also, you did not need ANY external power plugged into the card!

I have uploaded the install video I posted on YouTube under Techdripper
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 50 REVIEWERon January 10, 2014
This is a great way to upgrade a PC to USB 3.0 capabilities. Installation is very straightforward – basically just plug the card into a PCI slot, install the included drivers, and you’re done.

I installed this on a Dell Optiplex running Win 7 (32 bit). Totally uneventful, which seems to be a rarity these days with PC upgrades. It actually took me longer to untangle the spaghetti nest of cables and connectors attached to my PC than it did to get the card up and running.

According to the specs it supports XP, Vista, Win 7 and Win 8. There is no support for Mac products at this time.

It has four USB3.0 ports. The port construction is solid, unlike other lower-priced cards I’ve used. Zero wiggling of the port when a cable is attached/removed. It is also downward compatible with USB 2.0 specs – I had no problems using a couple of different USB 2.0 drives on this, in addition to a USB 3.0 drive.

The package included the card itself, a surprisingly well-written, clear install guide, and a variety of power cables to deal with various install options. The drivers come on a full size CD (another plus, since I really hate those mini CDs) and there’s a link in the manual for the manufacturer’s site to get updated drivers.

Absolutely zero complaints about build quality, performance, installation ease, and packaging/documentation. Highly recommend.
[Sample provided for review]
on April 28, 2014
I have a PC running Windows 7, 64bit. Windows 7 does not support USB3 like Windows 8 does so one "MUST" install the driver for this card.

I installed the card in a PCIe slot and connected the 4 pin power connector from my PC's power supply to the card using the supplied "SATA to 4-pin molex power adapter cable".

I first tried to go to the "inatechDotcom/support" link which is listed in the card's instructions to try to get the latest driver. That web link as listed in the instructions does not exist. So I tried to install the driver from the included CD by clicking setup.exe in the root directory of the CD. That didn't work, nothing happened. I did some Googling and found the drivers on the German inatech.de website. I downloaded the latest version 100 driver, did a restart and tried to install it but midway through the install procedure it said it was not installed successfully.

I went back to the supplied CD and navigated to the folder that contained the version 93 driver and clicked the setup.exe in that folder. Now the driver installed and completed successfully. I took off one star because of having to jump though hoops to install the driver successfully.

Once the driver was installed, the card works great. It's giving me 2.6 times faster transfer speed using an external hard drive compared to using a USB2 port. Used Crystal Disk Mark for the speed test. I did a 400GB backup and it completed successfully on the first try. I would buy this card again from amazon if I needed another one.
on January 13, 2014
I purchased the Inateck 4-Port USB 3.0 PCIe card for my Mac Pro. Yes, for a Mac. Nothing on the product description indicated that it would work on a Mac but I had seen a YouTube video using the Inateck card on a Mac Pro and figured it was the same and would work.

The Inateck card was cheaper than some of the other options (which had more reviews) and what convinced me to get the Inateck was the fact that it CAME WITH CABLES. No need to purchase additional cables since they're provided in the box. Unlike the YouTube video, Inateck listened to the reviewers comments and provided 2 separate, short cables, that don't have all the clunky extra connectors on them. (For the record, you don't actually NEED to connect this card to a Power Source in the computer ... technically it needs it to be able to provide power the specified power to the USB device, however, most USB devices that you're connecting this to will have their OWN power source (like a Powered Hub or a Powered External USB hard-drive). So for those of you nervous about connecting the card to a power source, don't worry.

Installation in the Mac Pro was a breeze. I had an open SATA hard-drive bay inside my Mac Pro and an open PCIe port.

Inateck included 2 cables with the USB card ... a SATA to 4-pin Molex connector (the "old school" connectors that go to a power supply ... or to a DVD bay) and SATA "Y-cable" (SATA to SATA). For the Mac Pro I used the Y-cable. Note that you will need to connect this SATA cable to an open SATA port on the motherboard. The Mac Pro has 4 easy to install Hard-Drive bays. Normally you'd slide a hard-drive into the bay and it would mate with the SATA connector but for this installation you'll need to use one of these open SATA ports.

I plugged the Inateck card into an open SATA port in my 4th hard-drive bay. Note that the SATA connector for a hard-drive is basically broken into 2 sections: POWER and DATA. The only part of the connector you need here is the 15-pin POWER section. Inateck provided a cable with the POWER section.

*However*, you need to know that the cable provided by Inateck will NOT fit properly out of the package. You need to modify the cable slightly. I was a bit apprehensive to do this at first but once I did it, I laughed at how simple it is. The Y cable with SATA on all ends will need to be modified. Take the end of it that has only 1 connector, this is the side that goes onto the motherboard (either one of the "Y" ends will plug into the Inateck card). The connector has a plastic nub on either end, so it would fit in a normal SATA Power connector, however you'll have to cut one of these ends off to fit on the Mac Pro. You're not cutting the connector, its pins, or its wires, you're simple cutting off the plastic nub so the connector will fit onto the Mac Pro's motherboard. First, make note of which orientation the connector must mate. You'll see that one side of the connector meets the edge of the connector in your computer. The other end would normally have the DATA section of the cable but the Inateck cable doesn't have the data section and instead it has a square end of plastic. You need to cut this part of plastic off so that the SATA cable will mate on the motherboard of the Mac Pro. I used a pair of scissors and a file to get the plastic end cut off. Once you've done this simple modification you can use the cable for installation.

To install in the Mac Pro:
1) Unplug the computer and touch something metal to ground yourself.
2) Unlock the case and take off the side door.
3) Lay the computer down.
4) There are 2 spring-loaded finger screws covering the available PCIe slots. Remove the 2 screws and take off the lock holding down the open PCIe cards.
5) Insert the Inateck USB card into an available PCIe slot (I used slot 3, for example). Make sure it's nice and snug in the PCIe slot
NOTE 1: The Inateck card doesn't use the entire length of the PCIe connector. Don't worry, it still fits.
NOTE 2: For some reason the 4th PCIe slot on the Mac Pro won't work. The computer will recognize the card but no power will be provided to your devices. This is a known issue and I found multiple references online to this. DON'T plug the card into the 4th PCIe slot.
6) Take one end of the SATA "Y-Connector", the side that has the "Y" with 2 of the same connector, and plug one of those into the Inateck card.
7) Take the other end of the SATA connector, the side that you cut the plastic off, and connect it to an available SATA POWER port in your Mac Pro (available hard-drive bay).
8) Put the PCIe cover back up using the spring-loaded finger screws.
9) Close up your computer
10) Power on and Enjoy.

I ran a speed test using a Seagate 3 TB drive I picked up at Costco and was very impressed with the speeds. The "Disk Speed Test" I ran (by Blackmagicdesign) clocked read and write speeds in the 150-170mb/sec range (averaged around 160mb/sec). Pretty impressive!

Glad it works on the mac, even if it's not advertised to.

I did NOT need any drivers to make this work on the Mac. I'm using Mac OS X 10.9.1 (Mavericks) and the drivers are built into the computer. USB 3.0 drivers are included in Mac OS X 10.8.2+.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 27, 2014
I wish I would have gotten one of these sooner.

My regular 2.0 Hitachi USB went from 23 MB/s to 36 MB/s

Also have 3.0 Toshiba USB plugged in and am getting 150MB/s read/write speeds

Drivers seem excellent so far, turning the drives off independently.

Win 8.1 has native drivers but i got the latest of their website.
on November 28, 2014
This card uses the Fresco Logic FL1100SX chipset. This is one of the newer USB 3.0 chipsets out and it's very reliable. Ran my external USB bus powered Hard Drive with no problems. Drivers are built into Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 (and also Windows PE 5.0). However, there are newer drivers on the Fresco Logic website under support. I've tested these newer drivers with Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 with no problems. If you have Server 2012 and need a USB 3.0 Card that will power your portable USB 3.0 Hard Drivers for backup purposes, this is your baby. I've tried 4 other cards and had various issues with Server 2012. The KT4006 worked flawlessly (Dell PowerEdge T320 w/Server 2012 R2). I had to use a longer USB 3.0 cable and had issues with one brand of cable. If you need a longer cable and have issues, try a different brand USB 3.0 cable and keep the length at 3'
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 25, 2014
Satisfied, but the drivers CD may need updates. I'm using 3 USB ports currently and 1st pops in and out, 2nd stays visible but files disappeared until I switched to 4th port, and 3 seems to be fine.

PROS:
1. Easy to install card
2. Easy to install drivers (CD or Internet)
3. Two types of SATA cables (only needed one)
4. USB 3.0 speed visually seems a little faster than USB 2.0 (no eval software)
5. Esthetically pleasing

CONS:
1. SATA cable instructions not clear based on the two cables included (I guess)
2. Cost

Conclusion: I think this card may have defects per USB port, or need an investigation into the drivers. I recommend this card only because I don't think the 3.0 USB industry technology is good at the moment unless you pay big bucks. I EXPECT ITEMS TO WORK WITHOUT ISSUES TO EARN A 5-STAR RATING.
on May 16, 2014
Installed without any difficulty in my 2009 Mac Pro and it works perfectly. I can finally enjoy USB 3.0 speed on an older Mac.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've had a Windows 7 (previously Windows Vista) in my living room serving as a media center for a few years. The PC works fine, but over time it had become noticeably slow compared to the new machines I have. I've upgraded memory and that has helped a lot. Now I had an opportunity to upgrade the USB slots to the latest 3.0 standard, and that has made more of a difference than I had originally anticipated.

The first thing you notice about this expansion card is its build quality. This is not some cheap knock-off card, but a well-designed and solidly manufactured piece of hardware. The card was easy to install - it just snapped into the appropriate slot. Most of the modern PCs are designed with the upgradability in mind, and many of them can be opened and upgraded without requiring any tools. However, if you have never upgraded a computer or are generally elecronics-phobic, you might want to consult with a family member or a friend who is more into these tasks.

The card was immediately recognized by my system, but only as a 2.0 USB standard. I installed the additional drivers that came with the included CD, and after that the card worked as advertised. I only have a handful of external USB 3 accessories (including a USB 3.0 HDD), but the card worked perfectly with all of them. The transfer speeds were quite noticeable faster, but I haven't really benchmarked them.

The reason why this card is particularly useful in the media center is a) helps with the playback of large video files directly from an external HDD, and b) USB 3 allows you (with appropriate add-ons and software) to use it to for additional monitors and TVs.

This is indeed a very good card that has completely lived up to its promise. I highly recommend it.
on January 23, 2015
I can confirm that the Inateck KT4004 PCIe USB 3.0 card works in my Mac Pro running OS X Yosemite 10.10.1.
I have two of these cards in my Mac Pro, and they work just fine. I have not had any problems.
review image