5.0 out of 5 stars Some unexpected benefits
Published on December 15, 2010 by Amazon Customer

Published on July 26, 2008 by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Some unexpected benefits, December 15, 2010
It took me a full year of Google searches and running into someone else who had the same problems before I figured out that most of my various annoying symptoms could be traced to a sluggish thyroid (acceptable lab results can be misleading). It never occurred to me that I could have an iodine deficiency in a developed country, and with the reasonable eating habits I have!

Making the long story short, I decided to experiment and have bought Iodoral about a month ago - and will be coming back for more for the rest of my life (or until US goes back to using iodine instead of bromine compounds in food).

It's been too short a time to see the full effects, but so far, the results have been nothing short of amazing!

-The same day I took my first pill and ever since, my energy levels came back to normal. I wake up early in the morning and am still active late in the evening. Before Iodoral, I couldn't drag myself out of the bed, and was unbearably exhausted by 8pm. I also can't wait to go for a walk or do some exercise.

-My hairdresser have commented that she sees a lot of new hair growth. (My hair has been thinning for a couple of years - I thought it was pre-menopause.)

-My mood has improved tremendously. I'm under a lot of stress, and had thought that my mild (unmedicated) depression is a natural consequence. Apparently, it's not :-).

Even some of the symptoms that should have nothing to do with Iodine have improved:

-I have gall stones, and have been experiencing digestive problems I thought connected to it for over a year. Within a few days of taking Iodoral, my digestion is back to its happy normal. Even my gall bladder is not acting up so much any more (much less pain and discomfort).

-The hot flashes I've resigned myself to as a part of pre-menopause problems are all but gone. When one happens (rarely), it's much milder. PMS mood changes are also barely noticeable now.

Note: I take one pill in the morning. After I took the first one, I experienced some of the side-effects of mild iodine overdose - strange taste, somewhat rapid heartbeat and mild pain in thyroid, but none of this repeated down the line. Guess my body just needed to adjust. I always take it in the morning, as I get too "hyper" to sleep if I do it in the evening.

I can't recommend Iodoral enough!

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential, but overpriced (everywhere), October 20, 2011
charity services (on a planet near you) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Optimox Iodoral High Potency Iodine Potassium Iodide Thyroid Support Supplement 180 tablets (Health and Beauty)
Hi!

First edit was initially posted October 11, 2011. Updated today, 2013-12-03. :)

Your dear author wrote the following review, of Iodoral, which contains a lot of useful information, and many have agreed. Please mark this review as useful if you find it that way. The Oct 2011 review was typed-up before Dec 2011, when I quit all grains for awhile (more than several months) and wheat especially. After taking large quantities of iodine over a year, from mid-2010, fogginess was cleared-up some, at least enough to type an extensive review, but not all of the brain-fog had cleared. As a result, the first edition needed editing.

Enjoy :)

I got these Iodoral tablets for friends, and have ordered the same, many times, although now I have suggest friends make an iodine solution themselves, for economy and supply. This review is initially for the tablets, and with some necessary background to clarify out, as there seems to be a lot of unnecessarily-confusing information available online at the time (Oct 2011), and also from alleged agents of the so-called A.M.A., who, like 'Dentists' that can't provide hard information that fluoride is good, cannot also provide hard information iodine is bad, or as 'evil' as it is made-out to be, apparently. Add to this, some additional helpful information.

For the particular shipper/seller, it's been all good on multiple orders to different locations all over north america.

Iodoral 12.5mg (in one tablet) provides the equivalent of 2 drops of 10% iodine solution as Lugol's: a standardized preparation name of water and iodine - a standard formula world-wide of 85 parts H2O, 5 parts I2, and 10 parts KI.

My only issue with Iodoral, is the price - everywhere, not singling out any specific distributor. It could be, and should be, a LOT cheaper. If you read the rest of this review and the other, it becomes clear why. The iodine is a fraction of the price of the finished tablet. Also, Iodoral is not to my knowledge, available easily outside of north america. 'OCONUS': The base price plus shipping becomes prohibitively-expensive for many.

To start, a summary background on iodine:
The intake of iodine from plants harvested on japanese-style traditionally-prepared soil is 12.5mg a day (the farmers use seaweed in composting) [I don't remember the source of this citation but it was good enough at the time for me to memorize it]. North americans, mainland europeans, and others with low soil levels of iodine, only get about 0.030 to 0.070mg of iodine per day [again, see note]. It has been reported and I feel this must be correct, that it was a traditional (german) western pre-prussian farming practice to add seaweed hundreds of years ago, and this is generally not done anymore, especially today - although it has been on the come-back, e.g. Dan Kittredge. It's common to find, through both tests and symptoms, high multi-milligram level daily doses of 'anti-iodines' of fluorines, bromines, free chlorine and other specific synthetic chemicals in the environment. They wipe-out the otherwise beneficial effect of the trace levels of iodine. Iodine is used for many body functions, not only thyroid. Prostate, brain function, reproductive, pancreas, etc. are reported to have iodine receptors, which in turn fill with the 'look-alike' poisons, and malfunction accordingly. Sufficient iodine intake has been shown to have the effect of washing-out the toxins in lab tests of urine, by flushing toxins from the cell receptor sites and replacing with the correct mineral, iodine! Iodine is also reported to be, from lab tests and private experience, shown to be a chelator of heavy metals (removes heavy metals).

The expensive tablets and cheaper options:
It takes more than the standard 'japanese' dose of iodine to flush the body of the toxins, and to provide continued resistance against absorption of them. A completely healthy adult body is supposed to have a balance of about 1,500mg of iodine in storage, 3% in the thyroid and 70% in muscle and fat, and the rest in organs and elsewhere. So a single tablet a day is not really enough for many people. Lab tests are reported to show increased excretion of bromine and fluorine, only significantly-measurable at around 50mg/day (four tablets of 12.5, or one tablet of 50mg) [dr. brownstein]. So, a regimen of Iodoral tablets to provide truly therapeutic amounts of iodine when the body is and has been exposed, is usually at minimum, about 78 cents a day worth (150mg), whereas the same amount of iodine directly from a 10% iodine solution (see below), as Lugols solution, is about three cents a day (Dec2013 now slightly more, I'm guessing four or five cents after fukushima).

Where cost is a concern, it is important to note that the advantage of the Iodoral, is the drops are effectively pre-measured for those who value an extreme level of convenience, and the silica in the tablet can help with some stomach buffering issues for people who are overly-sensitive. Though stomach reactions usually only happen at first, usually due to other health issues, i.e. even semi-healthy people handle regular Lugol's Solution well.

1500USD - 100 grams of iodine through Iodoral tablets, when the shipping is averaged-out. [Oct2011]
50USD - 100 grams of iodine from a true 10% Lugol's solution. About the same world-wide. So the cost-savings is HUGE when using Lugol's directly. [Dec2013; after fukushima, it is sometimes 65 to 70USD.]

'Due to DEA restrictions' commercially, real Lugol's solution in useful quantities, is somewhat difficult to obtain directly _as a liquid preparation_ for people on north america. While Iodoral tablets can play a crucial initial role in introducing people to the benefits of iodine, for the six-months plus of continuing intake, the price is functionally too high for many. The core ingredients (45g I2 (iodine crystals) & 114g KI) are listed on another common online site, and you can mix them with distilled water, forming the Lugol's at home. World-wide outside north america, a liter jar is available easily, through a pharmacist or lab supplier for about the same price everywhere, 50USD/EUR. The Merck catalogue number is 1.09261.1000. The pharmacist should have a Merck catalogue, but may be surprised to know you want to order from it. Merck pharmacies publish a huge catalogue of straight chemistry compounds outside of the pharmaceuticals they are commonly known for.

Some online alternatives, to be aware:
Usually people interested in Iodoral tablets also look at common one-ounce dropper bottles of what purports to be '2.2% Lugol's solution'. The actual amount of iodine is 10%/4, so a correct name is '2.2% iodine solution from Lugol's'. Using confusing descriptions only increases people's frustrations when already confused, looking for relief from toxic halide+heavy metal poisoning.

Some of the culprits:
Fluorine - is not good for teeth, and was only used (labeled) as 'rat poison' until the 1940's. It continues to be used as rat poison today, and allegedly, 'healthy teeth'. It accumulates in the body, and without large amounts of iodine to wash it out (over 50mg/day), it causes long-term damage at low dosages, similar to how background radiation works to gradually destroy health. Most comes through use of hydrofluorosilicic acid, a raw waste-product concentrate directly from smoke-stack scrubbers that is commonly trucked unprocessed, directly to 'water treatment facilities'. It is the stuff that is not supposed to be going into the air, and you drink it!

Bromine - is used as 'flame retardant' - literally to 'retard the flame' inside in my opinion. It is also used in medications (such as bromated inhalers), and in commercially-produced bread on north america (in place of iodine).

Free Chlorine - Forms chloroform when reacting with the chemically-organic components in water. Ammonia is a better mold killer/cleaner, in my opinion.

---
Other issues:
So-called 'side effects' in gradually-increased doses from Iodoral/Lugols are shown to be due to the toxic halides coming out, not the iodine going in. The kidneys then remove these halides from the bloodstream, while the iodine keeps them from re-attaching. During this process is when some effects can occur temporarily.

People with 'diagnosed kidney problems' should take it easy with iodine-containing items, and more slowly increase intake, while monitoring their kidney function, as functional kidneys are reported to only excrete at most, 50% of ingested or absorbed halides.

Sources:
Doctor David Brownstein's excellent DVD on Iodine, and his research reports on clients.
Yahoo Iodine group participants, researchers, and contributors.
Research reports of Guy Abraham (who developed Iodoral tablets).
Private, non-commercial research done directly with around 100+ participants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good product, September 3, 2008
My elderly husband (80 years) and I (72 years) recently started taking this iodine supplement after reading a book on the subject. My husband is sprinting better than before and thinks that he is less prone to weight gain than previously. I find that I have more energy and less craving for sweets. From what I read, most people have low iodine levels and require more that the daily recommendations, especially if they use Splenda and fluorinated water.

5.0 out of 5 stars Supplement that saves lives, August 22, 2008
Iodoral was recommended to me by my doctor. My headaches went away, it stopped my dry itchy skin in its tracks, turgor improved dramatically, and carb cravings just disappeared. My fingernails quit splitting & cracking and are now beautiful and long. I could go on & on, but this is a life saving addition to your vitamin regimen. Do your own research and try it for yourself. Start off slowly over about 4-6wk period. 1 pill, then 1/2, then 2, etc., until you are taking 2pills in the am and 2 pills in the pm. For very little money, it will be the best investment in your health that you will ever make.

5.0 out of 5 stars Iodoral & Coconut Oil are Extremely Effective Products!!!, June 20, 2010
My daughter has been ill for a number of years with hypothyroidism, depression, hormonal imbalance and associated issues. We searched the region for a doctor and finally found a wonderful physician who worked with her, prescribed Armour Thyroid and a number of supplements to get her back in balance after the years of Synthroid, Despite some improvements, it was not until I read Dr. David Brownstein's book on iodine deficiency and Dr. Bruce Fife's books on Coconut Oil that we decided we would use these products.

My husband, daughter and myself, all use liquid iodine and did the paint test to see if we were deficient, which we all were. Based upon a significant amount of research we decided to take the specific amount recommended for both the Iodoral and the coconut oil. What has happened is NOTHING less that a miracle.

My daughter, who has hideous outbreaks of hives, had no hives during the first three days, had two outbreaks on the 3rd day, but they were noticeably small and did not last near as long. Secondly, she has so much more energy and is able to get through the day without an afternoon nap, whereas before this iodine, the fatigue drove her to nap every afternoon. Thirdly, her voice, which had been very hoarse since before she was diagnosed has cleared and her attitude is much more positive now. These are just a few of the improvements we have seen in her, but they are remarkable when you understand her long journey and the insane number of doctors she has been through. The coconut oil has eliminated her candida and yeast infections, her dry skin is gone, and for the first time in 10 years, I am getting my daughter back.

As far as my husband is concerned, he has hypothyroidism as well and he has noticed considerable improvement in energy, muscle strength, attitude, and the puffiness is starting to leave his face, his joint pain has also improved to the degree that it has almost completely dissipated, AND with the addition of the coconut oil, he has quit snoring!!!

As for my own improvements, my former level of energy has returned, joint pain from several injuries has lessened considerably, I no longer have a number of cravings that used to plague me and the list goes one.

The book by Dr. David Brownstein entitled, "Iodine, Why You Need It and Why You Can't Live Without It," and Dr. Bruce Fife's books on coconut oil are MUST READS.

For my family, Iodoral and coconut oil have been Godsends and with all the improvements we seen in just five weeks, I could not recommend these two products strongly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars More people should try this, October 23, 2009
I suffered from joint pain, especially the hips and knees and general pain in all my muscles. I also had severe problems sleeping. My basil body tempature was 97 degrees and lower. My hair was falling out and dry as was my skin. My thyroid levels were elevated and I chose to take Iodoral rather than a synthetic drug that my Doctor recommended. Within 48 hours on Iodoral I was pain free and able to move. I am sleeping better and no longer losing hair and I did it without drugs. I wish more people would try natural supplements before drugs. Read and educate youself. Books on the subject are by Dr. David Brownstein, "Overcoming Thyroid Disorders" and "Iodine, Why You Need It, Why You Can't Live Without It". Great books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Health is Priceless, April 14, 2010
Elizabeth Dudley (America the Beautiful) - See all my reviews
My cousin has been studying health related issues and came across Dr. Brownstein's book on Iodine. I too found his analysis and reporting to be compelling and convincing. My thyroid tests came back within the normal range but my beautiful blonde tresses were thinning out and I had the recurring red blotch on my neck at the Adam's apple, just in front of where the thyroid sits. I surmise that my thyroid was getting inflamed. I also had unexplained weight gain that I know was hormone related.

I have been taking Iodoral for about 8 weeks and the improvements are marked. The red blotch on neck in front of the thyroid is gone, my hair is thickening again (with support from biotin and other B vitamins), my energy is improved, people say I glow like a chandelier and best of all my appetite has changed! I no longer crave all those carbs and sweets! My dresses are slipping back on! I sleep throughout the night, and I'm losing weight, I'm really losing weight without dieting! My eating habits and desires have changed!

I hope all Americans read Dr. Brownstein's book (very accessible to the lay person) and understand the risks for cancer of the breast, prostate and ovaries that arise with iodine deficiency and the horrible poison that is flouride. Let us wake up and take control of our health and well being and out of the hands of the pharmaceutical companies, who are driven by profits, profits, profits, even at the cost of people's lives.

The knowledge that I have gained and the health improvements that come with this product and with other vitamin supplements (magnesium, Vit C, Vit D, Selenium, Vit E, chromium, betacartone, virgin coconut oil (internally and externally) are a God send. Don't live without them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Iodine product, March 29, 2010
If you suffer from a reproductive organ disease such as breast cancer, fibrocystic breast disease (FBD), uterine cysts, ovarian cysts, prostate cancer etc., you need iodine. If you want to avoid these serious health conditions you need iodine, much more iodine than you receive in iodized salt. Iodoral is the best way to get iodine. One Iodoral tablet provides 12.5 milligrams of iodine/iodide which is about the amount the average Japanese consumed in 1964 in their everyday diet.

Breast tissue needs many times more iodine than the thyroid gland. The RDA for iodine is 150 mcg. This amount was set based on the amount needed to prevent goiter. This amount will prevent goiter but it will not prevent breast cancer or its precurser fibrocystic breast disease or other serious diseases. Breast tissue and other reproductive organs require much more iodine than the thyroid gland. Iodoral is the best way to get that increased amount.

In 1964 the average Japanese received about 12 - 15 milligrams of iodine per day in their diet of sea foods. This amount is 100 times more than the RDA. Japanese women (living in Japan, not the U.S.) have the lowest incidence in the world of breast cancer and other diseases of the breast. Today the average Japanese person receives even more iodine than they did in 1964 (40+ milligrams per day). Either the Japanese are human mutants capable of enduring toxic levels of iodine or the medical dogma about iodine we have been told over the past 60 years is very outdated and needs to be brought up to date with current research. Current research about iodine is available on the Optimox web site here: [...] .

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful Only because Lugol's Solution Tastes Bad and Stains Clothes, July 26, 2008
Chris (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This is an acceptable 'luxury' substitute for getting around the relative undesirability of using an eyedropper to put two drops of Lugol's solution on your tongue or in a cup of water. While Lugol's solution is still a difficult to find product in Canada and essentially is not purchasable from health food stores, I have noticed that Aquatics & Aquarium supply stores sell Lugol's as an aquarium disinfecting agent for a very reasonable price. (Amazon sells it too, but watch to make sure you are buying the non-diluted form.)

Iodoral is much more expensive than the Lugol's solution.

Using iodine for optimal health, or therapeutically to correct some chronic disease, is very new and edgy (or very retro) and is not yet embraced by mainstream organic foods, health products type stores. Hence the unfortunate need to go to a fish & aquarium store.

For instance at one of the best health food and supplement stores in Vancouver (perhaps the most self-consciously natural-health-minded city in Canada) it was only possible to buy 'Liquid Iodine', which is an extremely diluted form of Lugol's solution (with only 1/42nd the amount of iodine in it compared to Lugol's by volume) that sells for essentially the *same* price as Lugol's from the aquatics store! In other words you'd be paying a 4167% premium on the iodine. If your health promoting aim is to to consume 2 drops of Lugol's solution--or one tablet of Iodoral--per day, then you would have to put 83 drops of that product in a cup of water instead of 2 drops of Lugol's.

Iodoral is probably over-priced, but the taste of Lugol's is very strong and sharp, while these tablets are completely tasteless, and avoid the messiness of dealing with iodine from an eyedropper. This product is one of the best choices if you want to increase your iodine intake to levels found among the Japanese without sharing the Japanese seaweed diet AND don't want to use Lugol's solution. I am a former Iodoral user who now simply uses Lugol's solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars I had no idea what it could do, July 31, 2011
Rita (Vershire, VT, United States) - See all my reviews
I am hestitant to recomend a suppliment, people need to be careful with their health. However, I love it!!! I have fibromyalgia and my thyroid activity is borderline low, but the docs won't prescribe thyroid meds. After some research, I tried this 10 months ago.

First my extreme insomnia ended within a week. Then I realized my constant pain, was not constant, or not as bad. Then I started loosing weight. My energy is up (probably because I can sleep at night). My 20 year irregular menstral cycles are now regular to 28 days, and cramping is minor rather than crippling.I also have fibrocystic breasts and that is lessened quite a bit. My bladder works better too since my bodywater is no longer held prisoner to cause swelling.

The side effects are minor, but I did experience head aches in the beginning, which is out of the ordinary for me.I have had skin breakouts (pimples)but not extreme. Worth it to me.

During the Jananese crisis, I tried another brand from a pharmacy, it was horrible. I lost ground so fast, I was astounded that I ever survived all that pain and frustration. People were asking me if I was OK daily. I bit the bullet and paid the gouging price. Things are back to normal, but no more weight loss. I supposed that would even out anyway.