Option of Japanese language with Subtitles?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 21, 2011 8:17:22 AM PDT
B. Hoover says:
I know it's a long shot, but is Japanese voice-acting a confirmed option for this game?

English dubs are usually a disappointment.

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 11:52:01 PM PDT
J. Evans says:
It won't have Japanese voice-acting according to an admin at the Atlus forums: http://atlus.com/forum/showpost.php?p=234661&postcount=45

If you want to hear the english voices early, they have samples at the official website: http://www.atlus.com/devilsurvivor3ds/

Click profile, and then when you click on characters, you can hear their voices. I personally don't think they're that bad.

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 2:41:35 PM PDT
A. Schmitt says:
My guess is that there is not enough memory on the 3DS card to hold both languages.

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 8:47:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2011 8:47:42 AM PDT
The dubs have been surprisingly good for Atlus titles lately.

There are multiple reasons why the Japanese audio isn't available in every case. In this case, part of it may just be that fully voiced audio would take up too much space to fit both on cartridges. The other factors are that the companies that own the voice work to some games require such a substantial amount of money to license that it's not cost effective to do so. This is why many Visual Novels that do manage to get US releases have had to drop full voice acting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2012 8:57:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2012 8:58:43 AM PST
Izaya says:
I know this is late of me but you are just making default anime assumptions. English voice acting won't automatically be bad, in fact, I enjoy varied english voices than, what seems to me for not knowing japanese, same sounding and somewhat emotionless japanese voicing. I know this second point doesn't apply to this game, but animes instead, I once seen a guy say to watch japanese versions because english dubs leave out a lot of story, yet for one, I don't know japanese, and two, I am absolutely positive that english subs leave out more than englisn dubs [on every show I've watched anyways].
Go buy a japanese 3DS and a copy of this game over there if you want it so badly.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 11:44:26 AM PST
B. Hoover says:
A few points:

I have since played much through this game and as expected, the english dubs do not sound great. I think the only Anime that I watched with English dubs (and found to be ok) was Full Metal Alchemist. I know I'm probably not the only one to think that the english voices sound sort of wimpy/whiny compared to their Japanese counterparts (in the case of this game).

I don't think my post exactly illustrated a sense of dire urgency for Japanese voice-overs, hardly enough to buy another 3DS altogether along with the Japanese game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 11:39:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2012 11:42:21 AM PST
Izaya says:
Sorry, my comment was mostly fueled by my somewhat hatred towards people that have a certain opinion to yours on english voice acting.
Some show's I've watched that I think have perfectly fine voicing in english are Cowboy Bebop, Durarara!!, Ghost in the Shell, Full Metal Alchemist (FMA), and FMA: Brotherhood.

I think the problem is an animation studios apparent likeness of stereotyping on wanting to portray many anime characters as being way too overly hyped up and whiny sounding, all the time. The thing is, I hear this much more on any anime in japanese rather than english. We all have our own comfort zones on what we do and don't like on voice acting though, so it all depends on the person.

I probably just had a kind of angry tone in my previous post because you instantly asked if there's an option to use japanese voicing instead of english before even hearing it (or hearing it). Although you probably asked this just in case you wouldn't like the english, I personally don't think it's that bad, with the exception of Midori, but I always though she would kind of sound like that just by reading the text. I would just rather listen to passable voice acting in my own language while playing the game because it makes the game pop to life a little more, rather than playing the same original game without knowing when exactly a japanese voicer is saying what.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 12:00:01 PM PST
B. Hoover says:
Yeah, the main reason I asked is because of some of the Naruto games offering the Japanese voice-overs as well as the English. I was wondering if the same might be true of this game as well, but as someone already pointed out, there probably isn't enough memory on the cartridge to hold both.

Now that you mention it, I don't mind the voice overs in Cowboy Bebop. There definitely are whiny moments in Japanese dubbed anime that make my skin crawl. It might just be me, but when a certain octave is hit, I just see red because I find it so annoying. Haha, I remember this one individual in my dorm (who I did not know), but randomly said "Ichiiii-GO" in just that annoying way on the show. I wanted to punch her.

There are just some anime that just sound terrible to me in English. Naruto being the ultimate fail. It just rubbed me the wrong way. In my opinion, I've found there are more annoying anime in English compared to Japanese.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 8:30:33 PM PST
Izaya says:
Bleach and Naruto were exactly at the top of my head for voiceovers I don't like. Also Winry from Full Metal Alchemist whenever she yells.
Code Geass was ok on most characters.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 12:12:29 AM PST
EpsilonX says:
Am I the only person who doesn't hate English dubs? For a while, I preferred English dubs, but then after a while subs started growing on me, simply because watching anime in japanese makes it seem less Americanized. Some anime, however (Pokemon, DBZ, Rurouni Kenshin) I can't watch in Japanese because i'm too used to the American voices

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 5:03:05 AM PST
B. Hoover says:
It depends. I'm playing through Persona 4 Golden atm and the English dubs aren't that bad.

A lot of the time English dubs sound incredibly lame to me. Japanese voice acting, for me, is much more dramatic and interesting to listen to.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Aug 21, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - Nintendo 3DS
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked - Nintendo 3DS by Atlus (Nintendo 3DS)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (100)