Published 22 months ago by Steve

2.0 out of 5 stars Great image but a few (IMO) intolerable problems
I installed this projector in my basement and after a few days trying it out I decided to return it. It's not because the projector is bad -- overall it's quite good. However there were a couple of issues which made it the wrong choice for me. I even created a video to demonstrate the pros and cons -- if you're interested take a look here: http://youtu.be/ASwiePEqTzk...
Published 11 months ago by Renato R. Cazangi

4.0 out of 5 stars If you look for smooth BluRay 1080p24 picture mode, look further, December 11, 2012
This review is from: Optoma HD23 Full HD Home Cinema 1080p Projector , 2500lm , DLP , 5000:1 , Contrast Ratio (Electronics)
This is my 1st full HD 1080p projector. Having two LED HDTV I was expecting to watch my Blu-Ray movies in 24p which on my both TVs looks amazingly smooth (no jitter) thanks for 120Hz technology. Optoma HD23 projector is a bargain but obviously with the low price comes lack of smooth 24 frame movies processing. Sure, projector accepts 24Hz video signal but it does not process it further which results in jittery, unnacceptable picture. Older brother HD33 has PureMotion system which thanks for advanced 24 frame video processing ensure smooth picture especially in fast moving scenes. This is not a case for HD23 neither older HD20. So watching Blu Ray movies makes sense when in 1080p60 mode which produces very low but still visible jitter. Another workaround would be to obtain BD player capable of advanced processing 24 frame movies to 1080p60 which nowadays most models do by default. Other than that projector works flawlessly producing stunning vibrant picture worth every penny. If you do not care about PureMotion processing for smooth 24p mode, neither 3D capability then Optoma HD23 is projector for you. But if you do and can spend $300 more, get it's bigger brother HD33.

One more thing, HD23 is superior over HD20 model producing more contrast thanks for newest DarkChip 3 DLP matrix from Texas Instruments. I highly recommend it over the HD20 model. You wont be disappointed.

12/12/12 Update:
The recent BluRay movie projections using 1080p60 mode made using standard BD player as well as Sony PS3 console showed very good picture quality, free of described jitter. The picture is not as smooth as found in 120Hz systems which are able to produce "soap opera" motion smoothness, but for some viewers it is more natural way the movie should look. To me Optoma HD23 performance in 1080p60 mode when playing BD movies definitely looks more like those in movie theater comparing to my 120Hz processing LED HDTV sets. Overall I am happy with this purchase so I hope Optoma HD23 projector will ensure long lasting entertainment for at least 2-3 years to come.

12/19/2012 Update:
Despite of achieved motion smoothness in 1080p60 mode, the picture is suffering from disturbing flaring when bright objects no dark scene light up entire picture making all blacks looking pale and gray. Because I use projector only when watchin movies in complete dark, this is very disturbing. I tried to use Digital Essentials Blu Ray calibration disk but there is no way of bringing projector lumens down to get rig of it. So I decided to give it a shot and purchase HD33 model which has lower brightness. It arrived two days ago and side by side comparison revealed HD33 is slightly dimmer than HD23 which is enough for flaring to disappear completely. Motion pictures projected with HD33 became finally closer to what I imagine should be with deeper black level, much wider range of grays and more vibrant colors. This confirmed my suspicion that HD23 is too bright for my environment which is regular living room with beige walls/drapers and white ceiling. I am using matte white 106" screen with 1.1 gain.
With HD33 model, I also got PureMotion function which uses 120Hz technology to interpolate 24p signal making fast moving objects free of stutter which always to hurt my eyes including movie theaters. This makes picture stunning smooth so watching movies like Star Wars in fast space fight scenes is a true pleasure. The picture is far from "soap opera" like as I heard, it is much more natural actually giving me a feeling like I am part of the actual scene in real environment. Spending $300 more for HD33 was a good decision however I still believe HD23 is great projector which would probably work great in typical dark "man caves" with 150 inch screen diagonal or larger. For typical family room used to watch movies occasionally in complete dark, low lumen projector with low gain screen might work better. Still, the HD23 is best for the buck and if it matches your needs, this is projector to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars projector rocks, November 4, 2012
I have owned two high end lcd projectors and they have both had lcd block failure. This time I decided to go with a dlp projector. I started with the optoma hd33 3d projector. I loved the picture, just decided against the 3d after watching a few movies. The glasses were expensive and kind of a pain. So, I returned it and bought a benq projector due to the good reviews. I powered it up and it was horrible... I ran it for 30 minutes and put it back in the box. I then called optoma and they suggested the hd23. They said it had a better dlp chip and more contrast and lumins. I went with their suggestion and have been very satified. The picture is outstanding. Very good blacks and a crisp image. I would highly suggest this projector to anyone in the market. For under a $1000, this projector is a steal.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great image but a few (IMO) intolerable problems, November 18, 2013

My main observations:
1. Excellent image definition, vivid colors
2. Very bright -- sometimes too much (see movie and clip)
3. Blurry on fast game actions
4. Not very flexible for placement (limited zoom range)
5. Quite disturbing rainbow effect

In brief, the image is amazingly bright and vivid. Colors are beautiful. But the blurriness on fast moving frames and the rainbow effect were killer issues for me. Since then I got a LCD projector (Epson 3010) whose image is not as colorful but does not have the latter problems. I'm very happy with the Epson 3010 now :)

5.0 out of 5 stars optoma HD23, March 10, 2013
Works great. HD is awesome. I use it to project 13 ft to a 100 inch diagonal white screen. The 2500 lumins work great in mid-day
ambient light.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great projector unless you get it for < $700, January 11, 2014
I've had this projector for a little over a year and have been pretty happy with it.

I use it mainly for sports on a 180" screen in a dark room. It has a very clear and bright image, but be is blurry during fast panning (especially noticeable in football games) and can be somewhat loud when the fan kicks on. I bought the projector for $800, so I thought it was a pretty good value at the time. Now the HD131xe seems to be a much better value, but wasn't available when I bought mine.

The reason I'm giving it 2 stars is because the lamp has failed after a little over 500 hours. Maybe it was a defective lamp, but that is still inexcusable. Now I can either pay $150 for a probably knockoff lamp and hope that lasts, or just bite the bullet and buy a new (and different) projector

5.0 out of 5 stars great, December 27, 2012
I love it Iam very happy with the purchase and I would recommend it to anyone. It's simple, sleek and affordable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality for the price!, July 24, 2013
I was looking for an entry level 1080p projector for my apartment that my roommates and I could kick back and watch movies or play games on. I purchased this refurbished with only like 8 hours on it to save some money, and I'm not disappointed with my purchase at all. Out of the box the quality is great, and once you calibrate the colors and viewing modes appropriately it looks incredible.

Of course, at this price level you aren't going to get movie theater quality black levels or detail, but this is a near perfect product for what I spent on it. The only thing that I think could be improved, which is a small complaint that I have with DLP projectors in general is the lens shift capabilities. DLP projectors with lens shift in this price range aren't really heard of, or common, for that matter. So, while not a huge deal, it took a little bit of time to appropriately place this to get a centered image.

I'd recommend this projector to friends in a heartbeat, but if they were tight on space and couldn't place it in the perfect or precise spot, I'd probably tell them to look at an LCD projector that has lens shift capabilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars very impressed, May 30, 2013
picture quality is excellent. Settings are a bit finicky but once you get them dialed in it is a very nice projector for under $1000.

2.0 out of 5 stars best projector i've owned for picture and i have owned ..., December 12, 2013
best projector i've owned for picture and i have owned a lot. Problem is the keystone. you can't mount on the ceiling because the keystone correction puts the projector no higher then eye level. I can't get over that problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, December 14, 2012
with all the various resolutions this projector is capable of doing, to put it simple ... It just plain works. It is constantly scanning for connected devices and outputs the proper resolution every time. Perfect for a conference room or boardroom up to 20 feet long, but not for anything much larger than that.