Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on June 10, 2013
I bought this projector on 6/4/13, installed it on 6/7/13, used it about 10 hours this weekend and so far I love it. The imagine is very clear and crisp, the setup was a breeze and the projector was everything I was expecting.

Pros
- Great price $934
- Decent looking (physically), not too heavy or big
- Great picture quality, lots of input options
- Quick shutdown cooldown (lamp)
- Decently quick startup
- Nicely designed remote (backlit)

Cons
- Power cable short, I have to go buy an extension
- Sometimes the search for inputs takes a while and when the PS3 for example is loading an app the projector starts to search for inputs
- Menu takes a while to get used to
- Expensive ($99) 3D glasses

I will continue to update this with more pros/cons as I see them.
on July 8, 2013
This is the 3rd projector I've owned in the last 8 years. Started out with an Infocus 4805 back in 2005, which was awesome at the time. After 5 years of owning it, the color wheel shattered and it was time for something new. In 2010 I bought the Optoma HD66 720p 3D ready projector. It was a significant upgrade, and even though it required purchasing the seperate 3DXL box, I've been happy with it, but I recently decided to upgrade again because I was having issues watching any 3D movie with a dark scene. I purchased a new Samsung 3D plasma TV last year for the living room, and got so used to the excellent picture quality,(best I've seen on any TV so far), that my 720p projector wasn't cutting it anymore. The black level and brightness of the HD66 couldn't compare to a new TV either. The entire opening sequence of The Avengers (which takes place mostly in the dark) was almost unwatchable on the projector in 3D. In 2d it wasn't an issue, but I like my 3D and I was neglecting my basement home theater because of it. Everything looks so much better on my plasma. So, it was time to look for something that could compete.

I first purchased the Viewsonic PJD7820HD because of the lower price, higher resolution, and higher lumens thinking that would solve my brightness problem. It did not. As a matter of fact, other than the sharpness, there was no difference in picture quality at all. So I returned it and decided upon this projector after, the Optoma HD25. And it's working out great. I've only had it a few days now, but the picture quality blows away the HD66 in my opinion, and it looks great in 3D. The dark scenes are no longer a problem. It doesn't rival the picture on my 3D TV, but it comes damn close. Plenty bright, and super colorful!

So, if your looking for a projector with a great quality picture, in both 2D and 3D, look no further.
on June 14, 2013
I've been waiting a while for Optoma to produce a 3D projector that had ample lumens. The HD25 is just what I've been waiting for. I tried the BenQ W1070, but its throw was too short and the image quality was horrible. The Optoma HD25 had a longer throw distance and its image quality was perfect!! It alos supports both DLP link and RF 3D glasses.

One word for those who are considering purchasing the more expensive Optoma HD25-LV (because of the higher lumens). The Optoma HD25-LV is only brighter when used for 2D (it has the same brightness level as the less expensive HD25).
on October 29, 2013
I've owned projectors for almost 15 years and after wanting to step up from my Epson, I decided to give the DLP based projectors a try and ordered the HD25 specifically because of the 3D capabilities along with its reasonable price.

First, the DLP is awesome. I never had any complaints with my precious LCD based projectors but I do think that in my room at least, the colors are just a little more vibrant.

In 3D mode, the picture is clear, sharp and well defined. I don't think it's as good as my 3D tv but it is fun to watch for sure. The projector has the DLP link capabilities built right into it so you only need to buy the RF box if you're wanting to use RF based glasses. As it is, this is exactly what I did and after trying a few of the cheaper options out there, I decided to just pay Optoma's ridiculous price and buy heir genuine glasses. So far, they're the only ones that work flawlessly with this projector that I have found but boy do they work.

It's quiet, has a great bulb life (6000 hours in Eco) and is small (and therefore easy to hide).
on October 14, 2013
I purchased this projector for my basement which we recently finished. It is ceiling mounted in a home theater room which is 17x12 feet. It works great! Some complain of fan noise, some complain of it not being bright enough. Some complain the bulb is too expensive. I have none of those issues. The fan is not that loud to me. Especially since it is in a theater room with a home theater sound system. It is plenty bright for me in the basement. I do not have any direct light coming into the basement. I have seen the bulb for under $200 at several online retailers. I have yet to try out the 3D but plan to do so soon. All in all a great buy for the money. Blu Rays look crisp, DirecTV looks great!
on June 27, 2013
Bought this projector to replace my Optoma HD20 in order to watch 3D movies. Thankfully, this projector mounts just like the HD20 and I was able to use the same ceiling mount. However, I am very disappointed with the image quality of this display. Although bright scenes are vibrant and crisp, most dark scenes are extremely grainy. My Blu-ray movies looked much better on the HD20.
on August 6, 2013
I have had 2 epson projectors and was very happy with them but thought I would try a DLP projector and wow- truly amazing. All my friends and family cannot believe the amazing picture quality. I would reccommend optoma HD 25 to anyone looking for an upgrade to real HD picture quality. Easy setup and great quality. Buy this projector. Finally have tried out the 3D on my projector and it is truly wonderful. First I tried the Sain Sonic 3D glasses, because of the price compared to the Optoma glasses and they did not work. I may have received 2 defective pair, but they would keep losing sync. So I returned them and got the Optoma and they worked perfectly. Sometimes you get what you pay for. But Avatar looks amazing but to me I felt like Jurassic Park looked even better. And if you have Directv- their 3D channels work with the Optoma HD 25. So I cannot think of any reason someone would not be thrilled with this projector.
on July 28, 2013
This is the only brand I have owned so I am new to home theatre projectors. I had to replace my 60" Sony LCD that crapped out far too soon. I considered other 60" traditional LCD TVs but for the price, I could get this projector and move up to a 120" screen. The screen and mount are approx. another $150.

I have been using this for a month. The picture is amazing. The on screen adjustments are easy. Sports, movies all look and perform great. Have not tried the 3D yet. I have this in my walk out basement with a fair amount of light, but light dampening shades do the trick and nighttime viewing blows me away for the size of the projected image. Better than my Sony 60" HD LCD TV that I replaced.

I have it set up on a 9 foot ceiling at 12 feet back from the screen. No digital keystone needed at all even at that height. So i didnt need a extended mount. The optical zoom allows me to move between 90" screen to a 110" screen quite easily. From sitting any where from 10' - 15' back, the 90" screen is easier to take in. For movies we will make the optical zoom adjustment manually on the top of the unit and go to the 110" screen. Feels like a theatre with the surround sound going.

Having 2 HDMI ports allows me to connect to the home theatre receiver for the xbox, cable and soon to add a blueray with Netflix. The 2nd HDMI allows me to connect a laptop from the coffee table and project videos etc from a pc. Highly recommended unit.
on August 22, 2013
Nice projector, they say it's got 2000 lumens but in reality it's closer to 1700 the bulb is way to expensive so I swapped it for the HD25e...less than half the price. Other than that they are practically the same.
on August 22, 2013
I have had this up now for a little over a month, and works great. I would probably give it 4 1/2 stars, not five, I'll go into that here in a bit.

Pros:
Super sharp 1080 p
Color is awesome right out of the box
Two hdmi inputs
Easy to use
Cost!

Cons:
Not many user setting adjustments once you change something like brightness or color, does come with presets, but would like more user options to change presets
Remote is slow at times to work with unit, now this may be because of my room, but its only 15X16 foot so it should be getting the signal, not sure why its hit and miss at times even when I'm pointing right at the unit with the remote.
Slight rainbow effect - Now this apparently doesn't affect many people, so I was disappointed in my specialness in this area. The rainbow however is very fleeting and I have for the most part gotten used it and don't noticed now that I know what it is. The only times it was really apparent was when using my PS3 and have a black screen with white words. I have no idea why, but that was the only time I had and still have issues with the rainbow effect. I'm guessing because white contains all the colors and black is supposed to be the absents of color it makes this contrast more apparent and creates the effect.

The one thing I have done to make it a better experience, is turned off Dynamic Black. I had read in a couple of other reviews that when Dynamic Black is enabled the fan will kick up higher in certain scenes, but doesn't seem to make the black or color all that better. I experienced the same, and simply turned off the feature, I don't feel like I lost anything.

I have yet to use the 3D aspect of this projector, but will when I purchase the required glasses and rf unit. Will update post when I have. From all sources I have seen thought, the rf is the way to go, and is easy to hook up.

Again on the whole I really like this projector and would recommend it to anyone looking for a low cost intro to the projection world. Also if your cheap like me, look into painting your own screen on a wall. Mine looks awesome! Go to Projector Centrals website and look for "painting the perfect screen". I followed the instructions and I'm blown away. Cost me about $120 total for all the materials I used and could be more or less for some people. I wouldn't go any other way.

Buy this project with confidence!